Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:05

Seconded. Nice one David.

DCN

Advertisement

#1302 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 231 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 22:14

I agree about the D600, I vaguely considered buying one, but was dissuaded by a Nikon repairer friend. The D600 has metal top and back plates, but most of the innards are moulded plastic, and apparently the fits & sealing aren't what they should be, it's causing problems with dust and grease getting where it shouldn't be, some owners have had a lot of problems with that, and Friend told me that he thinks Nikon have been buying back D600s from disgruntled owners. He does a lot of sensor cleaning, and reckons that he's done more D600s recently than everything else put together, but what can you expect for almost £2000? Unless I can convince myself that I really need a D800, I'll probably stick with my excellent D300 a little longer.

That pretty much says it all, I've been looking for an excuse to spend a silly amount of money 'upgrading', and haven't been able to find one yet. Like Odseybod I missed the the full-frame aspect after my F4, but solved that by buying a DX 12-24 Nikkor, which is an excellent lens. There is one thing that bothers me slightly about recent Nikons though, anyone else get the impression that quality control standards may be slipping? I know it's not always to be taken seriously, but I've just checked the D800 feedback on Amazon, and while most rate the thing highly, some of what's said is a bit worrying, much of it (apparently) from professional photographers. Amazon D600 feedback is not surprisingly even worse.

Hear, Hear! I have also been toying with the idea of upgrading from my Nikon D90 to a full-frame D600, but the dirty-sensor problem on the D600 makes it seem like a bad idea. If they're really serious about offering an "affordable" FX-format camera, you would think they would fix this issue! It pops up on every internet discussion I've seen on the D600.

Regarding Nikon lenses, they seem to have adopted a two-tiered strategy to a much greater degree than in the past. The DX-format mass-market lenses are affordable, but the build quality middling, at best. The pro lenses are faster (~f/2.8) and generally sharper, but the prices are several times what the consumer lenses are.

Of course, this isn't completely new - even back in the 80's, they were offering cheaper "E" series lenses, but the current offerings seem to be stratified in price and quality as never before.

#1303 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:41

Regarding Nikon lenses, they seem to have adopted a two-tiered strategy to a much greater degree than in the past. The DX-format mass-market lenses are affordable, but the build quality middling, at best. The pro lenses are faster (~f/2.8) and generally sharper, but the prices are several times what the consumer lenses are.

Of course, this isn't completely new - even back in the 80's, they were offering cheaper "E" series lenses, but the current offerings seem to be stratified in price and quality as never before.

Indeed. That's why I tend to buy s/h previous-generation Nikon lenses with some metal in them, and FX format in case I ever go full-frame (which I suppose I inevitably will, some day one day when the D300 eventually cries enough). A 70-210 (AF-D version) and 75-300 are pretty much constant residents in my (small) camera bag - they're compact enough to fit in and weighty enough to feel properly balanced on the camera, yet seem to deliver the goods if you avoid some limitations noted by Ken Rockwell & Co. No VR, of course, but I'd probably turn that off anyway for panning and general action stuff. To me, they seem a much better alternative to the plasticky 'pro-sumer' range but that could just be my Luddite tendencies.

#1304 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:57

So... has it arrived yet? :)

YES! Just opened the box.

Is it okay to say "I'm wooden" on the web?

He's sitting there impatiently drumming his fingers waiting for the battery to finish charging...

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing! :rotfl:

#1305 D_M_J

D_M_J

• 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:04

I'm quite pleased with this. HDR from a single RAW file, and a bit of subsequent messing which I would be unable to repeat :-(
Anyone like it, or is it Marmite?

Lovely shot David, and not overdone on the HDR :up:

A few areas with hints of colour are drawing my eye slightly, think I'd prefer in full mono, but don't think it takes away from a lovely shot :up: :up:

#1306 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 145 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:36

I jumped from D200 - perfectly capable of producing low ISO shots that would go double-page spread size in the (mostly) flying magazines to which I contribute - to D600, so I could use my 'legacy' Nikon lenses with a full-frame camera of reasonable size and weight. After a couple of months use, I noticed dust spots in studio work - books and gadgets photographed against a white background - but wasn't overly bothered because the works D7000 had dust spots too. (Shooting at f16 against pure white is a critical test.) When the D600 then developed a smudge visible in everyday shots, it went straight to Nikon and was cleaned up and loaded with the new, better colour-rendering software in five days or so.

That was a couple of weeks back: I've minimised lens changes since, making more use of a second-hand 24-85 zoom (which is dead sharp and distortion-corrected by the D600's JPEG software - very clever). Tiny specs of dust have again appeared, but nothing that shows up in daylight photography at wider apertures. All my previous interchangeable-lens digital cameras - D70, Epson RD-1 and D200 - have suffered dust build-up and needed periodic sensor cleaning, so I am hoping the D600 will not be too much worse...

#1307 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 20:49

If you can take the lens off dust will get in. If it is an "electric camera", dust will be attracted in. I wonder in what environmental conditions all those complainant's lenses were changed?

After several years of use, my D700 seems to have picked up one grease/oil spot on the sensor, which has, so far, defied my attempts to remove it.

I have been scouring e-bay for one of those excellent miniature vacuum cleaners which we snappers had back in the 70s.

#1308 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 20:57

Gorgeous!

The only thing I might wish for is a slightly less cluttered background, which would make that wonderful silhouette jump out even more. But your use of depth of field helps with this a lot.

There speaks a photographer. The excellent car and driver foreground is almost overwhelmed by an obtrusive and cluttered background. This is what we have to work with in motor-sports photography, because it is there. David, if you can tone down the lighter parts of the background, the main subject should leap out. Well seen.

Put this on flickr and a hundred random people will say "great shot/image/capture"  ;)

#1309 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:19

Put this on flickr and a hundred random people will say "great shot/image/capture" ;)

Or even 'gorgeous'.

#1310 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 17:47

It's 6:48 and no pictures from E1pix - Is the battery still charging?

#1311 PCC

PCC

• 458 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 18:06

Maybe he's still reading the instruction manual. It's quite a tome...

#1312 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 20:31

Do people actually read instruction manuals?

#1313 PCC

PCC

• 458 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:12

Do people actually read instruction manuals?

I never used to, back in the day when every camera was basically a shutter + aperture + place to hold film. But now, you can't get them to do anything until you've fiddled with a bunch of settings in sub-menus of sub menus, so yes, I read manuals (or at least parts of them).

#1314 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:14

My brain freezes as soon as I start reading them, it was ever thus, as they seem to leave out every other instruction, and they are the important ones. I just got a new flash, and started reading the instructions until I got to "Press function button B..." Nowhere in the instructions is there any mention of buttons listed alphabetically, and none of the numerically listed buttons is there anything named as a "Function" button! So trial and error it is.

#1315 PCC

PCC

• 458 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 22:42

My brain freezes as soon as I start reading them...

I know how you feel. Most of them seem to have been translated into English from Chinese, by someone who spoke neither.

#1316 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:54

I know, right?

Gotta finish buildin' the buggy before hittin' the trigger. :p

(i.e., old German bus precludes new Japanese lightbox)

Got that right, good hammock material. :smoking:

#1317 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:43

I know how you feel. Most of them seem to have been translated into English from Chinese, by someone who spoke neither.

I once wrote to Adobe suggesting that their instructions should be written by someone who had no idea how to use the product, that way the steps that were obvious to the software people, but not to the novice user, wouldn't be left out. I remember the DOS days when there would be bits in any number off different brackets, {}, <>, [] or simple (), but no instructions as to which bracket meant what...

#1318 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:59

That could well be true, with film cameras we didn't need to refer to the manual very often, but when I did many years ago for my F3, I gave up in the end and phoned Nikon UK. The guy on the other end explained carefully, I got the impression he'd clarified this particular point a few times before, and told me that our manuals were translated from Japanese into English by a Dutchman.

#1319 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:10

http://www.guardian....ach?INTCMP=SRCH

Having recently found another old "snap" of mine being used for some-one else's gain; I hope this case goes all the way.

Advertisement

#1320 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 614 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:06

I've probably posted this here before but it won't hurt to do it again.

Tineye, a way to search your images on the net. Not infallible but it works pretty well.....

http://tineye.com/

#1321 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,462 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:31

I'd say really well.

It's found shots of prior scans with totally different color and crops. Remarkable.

#1322 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 215 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:17

Just following up on my previous post a few weeks ago requesting feedback regarding the Canon 5D III and 1DX. For anyone that may be considering either of these bodies for motorsport use, having hired a 5D III to use alongside my 1D4 at the 2013 Historic Winton, the following link shows my selection of pics from both camera's. The identifier as to which body took the pic is included in the filename just before the last 4 numbers :

http://www.flickr.co...57634162810955/

My experience, having pushed the 5D III to its limits, was as follows :
1) contrary to every review I have yet read, the camera handled the autofocus demands of motorsport very well - not perfectly, as there is no such thing, but no different to the 1DX which I trialled at this year's AGP. By this I mean that it achieved a 'keeper' rate at least as good as the 1D4 is capable of (which is pretty good at the worst of times!) and even better in the late afternoon low light conditions. The new autofocus system on the 5D3 provided more confidence (for me) than the 1D4 does (especially I tend to use centre autofocus point only, with immediately surrounding AF expansion points) in terms of what the camera was 'locking on'. It is, for me, the best system I have yet experienced with Canon.
2) I tend to go for 'the shot' as opposed to shooting 36 pics in a few seconds of action and hoping to get 10 keepers. The 5D III is perfectly capable of delivering under these circumstances - when set up properly. If anyone would like to know more about the specific settings I settled on by the start of day 2, please pm me at any time. I went for Canon's recommended settings on day 1 and was not satisfied with the results, so made changes for day 2, which worked well.
3) In terms of resolving the detail of the subject in the pic, I believe it is fair to say that the 5D III exceeds the capability of the 1D4 - somewhere between marginally and fairly considerably. While there is no difference for static images, there is a noticeable difference in the captured detail of high speed action at shutter speeds around 1/80 to 1/160 of a second.
4) Using the battery grip for this model is pretty much essential (for me,) especially when shooting with the long and fairly weighty Canon 300 2.8.
5) The lenses used for the action pics were only the 300 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 II. While the 300 shone brighter than it has yet done for me with the 1D4, the 70-200 did not perform any differently on this camera than it has done (for me) with the 1D4.

I was that impressed with the 5D III, given that we still have to put up with varying degrees of unacceptable even with the most expensive bodies, that I have one on the way. I figure that, as the 1DX has a bizarrely low resolution given it's price and that the 5D3 is less than half the price of the DX, this was the way to go (for me) now.

Two proviso's:
1) if you shoot high speed action in anything from basketball to tennis to motorsport and more often than not rely on sequences of pics to pick the 'right one', do not get this camera. It simply does not have a high enough frames per second capability to do the job.
2) if you are shooting with anything less than 300mm at a typical motorsport event, be aware that this is a full frame body and that your (assumed) 300mm lens will now be 300mm as opposed to 390mm (for example, with a 1D4) or 480mm (for example with a 7D.) I needed to use the 1.4X III converter quite a lot at this meeting.

#1323 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:43

I was going to put these into the 'Personal photos of historic events' thread but decided this might be the better place.

The 'back story', as I think it's called. I took my mid-50s screw Leica (IIIF, since you ask) plus a couple of lenses to the second day of the VSCC Spring Start meeting at Silverstone in April, as part of my policy of giving it at least one outing a year to keep it exercised - then didn't actually finish the film in it till a couple of months later, with a trip to the Suffolk coast. Add another month for getting the film processed and then getting aorund to scanning it, and here are some of the results, luke-warm off the press.

Apart from the satisfaction of using a 'proper' camera again, and the nervous thrill of waiting to see if any pics had actually come out, two points spring to mind, particularly with the action shots. First, black and white seems much better at minimising the impact of the 'orrible Silverstone scaffolding backgrounds, especially with a slow (50) ASA/ISO film that dictates a slow shutter speed (in this case 1/100). Must see if the same's true with digital.

And secondly, the action pics are uncropped frames from a 90m lens - with a snapper's tabard, I was as close as I cared to be, behind a nice solid piece of Armco. So respect to the experts in the '50s and '50s who filled the frame with a 50mm lens on the inside of (say) Copse, with nothing much between them and the action apart from an oil drum or two and maybe a low brick wall.

Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1324 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,864 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:38

http://www.guardian....ach?INTCMP=SRCH

Having recently found another old "snap" of mine being used for some-one else's gain; I hope this case goes all the way.

I recently found a couple of images of a Lotus 42 that had been contributed for use on my site on a Facebook group. I politely asked the contributor if he had got permission to use then and was immediately banned from the group and barred by him so I can't even have a conversation with him. So Facebook not only allows copyright to be abused, but it even facilitates a situation where copyright claims can't even be made and copyright owners are unable to see if their images are being used.

It will annoy a lot of people if this case is successful but I believe it needs to be so that the rights of creatives are better protected.

#1325 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:48

I was going to put these into the 'Personal photos of historic events' thread but decided this might be the better place.

Very nice, TT.

#1326 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 16:21

Thought that some of you would find this interesting.

https://nikoneurope-...utton-interview

That's a hell of a lot of gear to carry around though.

#1327 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 744 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:18

I was going to put these into the 'Personal photos of historic events' thread but decided this might be the better place....

cr93.jpg

Missed this post at the time, but wanted to say that these are excellent shots - took me a minute to realise they were not period photos, infinitely more 'authentic' in appearance than any Lightroom or Instagram filters.

#1328 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:28

Missed this post at the time, but wanted to say that these are excellent shots - took me a minute to realise they were not period photos, infinitely more 'authentic' in appearance than any Lightroom or Instagram filters.

Likewise.

Loving the dust & scratches on the Project Aston shot.

#1329 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:29

Thanks, both. Dust and scratches seem to appear for automatic authenticity, even after commcercial processing.  May have to blow some dust out of the scanner one day   ;)

Leica M2 and suitable b & w film being prepared for Goodwood as we 'speak'.

#1330 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:55

Why we photographers go racing:

9957161815_a9e877c8cd_c.jpg

#1331 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 744 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:06

Very nice.

I've been enjoying the challenge of Rockingham recently - an underrated venue and definitely a challenge for photography:

9771297823_e47bed57dc_c.jpg
Formula Renault racer Tom Oliphant duels with Pepe Massot by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

#1332 barrykm

barrykm

• 431 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:31

Why we photographers go racing:

9957161815_a9e877c8cd_c.jpg

Lovely picture....but I'm not crazy about the modern-day badges on one of my favourite Porches :| ...just envy perhaps!

#1333 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,695 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:00

Very nice.

I've been enjoying the challenge of Rockingham recently - an underrated venue and definitely a challenge for photography:

9771297823_e47bed57dc_c.jpg
Formula Renault racer Tom Oliphant duels with Pepe Massot by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

They look like trams!

#1334 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 20:23

A couple of photos I took at Watkins Glen, last month, 

You get the prize for the most excessive watermark!  :drunk:

#1335 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,700 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:33

At least we can see the photo. Without the watermark we probably wouldn't see it at all.  :wave: 

I am just a hack with a camera but it annoys the heck out of me when I see my photos on 15 different sites just because I posted them here. 
If it annoys me then it must be absolute hell for the professional photographers.

Thanks Mark, do what you gotta do!  :clap:

#1336 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 215 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:01

You get the prize for the most excessive watermark!  :drunk:

As that well trodden saying goes, there's always one     :| 

#1337 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 21:48

This evening, thanks to a couple of TNeffers,  I was in the fortunate position to gate-crash an event at The Swift Gallery    http://www.swiftgallery.co.uk/

I think that, in future, I ought to stick to the behind the scenes stuff. :(

10464999846_d71779b1ff_c.jpg

Edited by elansprint72, 24 October 2013 - 21:50.

#1338 swintex

swintex

• 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:32

Dear Santa,

Please may I have a Nikon Df for Christmas.

Thank you very much,

Richard

#1339 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:31

Dear Santa,

Please may I have a Nikon Df for Christmas.

Thank you very much,

Richard

Yes indeed, absolutely lovely, but have you seen how much Nikon UK are asking for the thing? It's priced above a D800E.

Advertisement

#1340 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:21

Mad! It seems to be priced exactly the same in GBP as it is in dollars. I checked the dimensions against my Nikon F and it hardly seems any larger; if that is true it will be a pleasant change from the recent great lumps such as the D700/800 and D3/4. Looks like it is built to olde-fashioned standards too; the flimsy (and un-wanted) pop-up flash in my D700 really irritates me; one day it will get a bash and fall off.

Hopefully, if no-one buys the Df in the UK, they may re-align the price.

#1341 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 13:53

Mad! It seems to be priced exactly the same in GBP as it is in dollars.

Hopefully, if no-one buys the Df in the UK, they may re-align the price.

The small amount of money to the right of this Nikon pic is all the change you get from almost £2800.00, as Pete says, Mad!

vuda.jpg

#1342 swintex

swintex

• 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:03

The small amount of money to the right of this Nikon pic is all the change you get from almost £2800.00, as Pete says, Mad!

And I think it comes with a 1.8 and not a 1.2 as well  :eek:

#1343 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 21:46

Evidently it will not, at least initially, be possible to but the body only; which is, imho a mistake. Body/lens kits are aimed at system-newbies; Shirley most of the folks tempted to buy this (very expensive) tool will already have a bag of lenses?

There is a review here: http://www.amateurph...w-nikon-df-dslr

... although the words lead me to think that the bloke who wrote it did not take any photographs with the camera, let alone saw any of the "outputs". I await a review from a publication aimed at professionals, rather than wealthy fan-boys.

TheDf body is made of magnesium, rather than the solid brass of my old F; Having used two mag cameras (Leica Digilux2 and Nikon D700) I have to say that I would sacrifice the saving of a few grammes to have the "feel" of a brass instrument (maybe this is because I used to be a Toolmaker?). Magnesium bodies are painted or powder-coated; the naked metal is almost white and not too attractive, inevitably the finish wears off with "professional use" both the D2 and D700 show signs of rubbing, the '69 Nikon F still has all its chrome. :rolleyes:

Watch this space; I'm going to try for a loaner.

#1344 PCC

PCC

• 458 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 22:05

Watch this space; I'm going to try for a loaner.

I will watch with great interest, please keep us posted! :up:

#1345 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:49

Even Ken Rockwell hasn't got his hands on one yet, but here's a comprehensive trawl through the specs: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/df.htm

#1346 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 744 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 13:52

Nuts to Nikon, certainly won't be buying another camera from that firm.

My D600 has bricked after just 8 months use, shutter failure. Combined with the endless dust spots on my sensor it has just been a complete PITA.

Very frustrating sitting through two race events without my camera and doubt I will get it back before the Croft Rallycross event on 24th either.

#1347 Option1

Option1

• 13,128 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 16:28

Evidently it will not, at least initially, be possible to but the body only; which is, imho a mistake. Body/lens kits are aimed at system-newbies; Shirley most of the folks tempted to buy this (very expensive) tool will already have a bag of lenses?

There is a review here: http://www.amateurph...w-nikon-df-dslr

Just to note, that you can buy it "body only" in North America.  Not sure why Nikon made the "Kit only" marketing decision for Europe.  Certainly, doesn't make sense to me.

My problem is that I'm hanging out for D400 type cam to replace the ageing D300.  The D7100 (or whatever the current iteration is) is most emphatically not it.  Lack of such a replacement, may in the end, force me to switch brands and all the $$$ that entails.

Neil

#1348 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:15

My problem is that I'm hanging out for D400 type cam to replace the ageing D300.  The D7100 (or whatever the current iteration is) is most emphatically not it.  Lack of such a replacement, may in the end, force me to switch brands and all the $$$ that entails.

Neil

My local Nikon Professional dealer assured me that the D400 is coming, he thinks in the next 6 to 9 months, but Nikon UK won't give anything away, Dealer suspects that they don't know much more than he does anyway. If you put "Nikon D400 rumours" into Google, there are pages of speculation, so it isn't just us, Nikon themselves don't regard the D7100 as a D300 replacement, I just hope they don't offer us something half-arsed like the original D600 with all its built-in faults. I'm just a snapper these days, but I've always had nice Nikons, but then once upon a time, all Nikons were nice, even the cheaper ones. When did they begin this "professional" and "consumer" class distinction, are they trying to make some users feel like second-class photographers?

#1349 Option1

Option1

• 13,128 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 15:00

Good points, Rob that pretty much sum up my own views.  However, I actually quite agree with the "prosumer" category that seems to have been created and for which the D200 onwards (and maybe even the D100) fit so perfectly into.  In other words, cameras that were perfectly suitable for all categories of photographer.  Like you, I've moved away somewhat from pro work, but I still want a damn good camera that meets my needs, particularly for both motorsport and wildlife work.  I'd love a D4, but without any lottery winnings to my name that's out of the question.

As for the D400 and associated rumours, the swings from "Yes, it's coming! It's coming!" to "There will never be such a thing! Ever!" that also follow each trade show cycle are amusing.  However, they also make it perfectly clear that if one is in the pipeline at Nikon then they're keeping tighter security on it than they've ever managed before with any previous camera.  With no disrespect intended at all, I doubt the dealer you mentioned knows any more than the rest of us.

Neil

Edited by Option1, 12 November 2013 - 15:03.

#1350 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 16:28

As for the D400 and associated rumours, the swings from "Yes, it's coming! It's coming!" to "There will never be such a thing! Ever!" that also follow each trade show cycle are amusing.  However, they also make it perfectly clear that if one is in the pipeline at Nikon then they're keeping tighter security on it than they've ever managed before with any previous camera.  With no disrespect intended at all, I doubt the dealer you mentioned knows any more than the rest of us.

Neil

On my Nikon dealer not knowing any more than we do, I'm sure you're right, and he even admits as much. As he says though, there is a definite 'DX professional' group of customers out there, and it's inconceivable that Nikon won't fill the gap in their range eventually, even if it's only for people like us, snappers with delusions of grandeur (and possibly competence). One thing he did tell me is that Nikon were badly affected by the severe floods in Thailand some time ago, and that set their production ans new model programme back quite significantly. Like you and probably many others, I live in hope of a decent D300 replacement.