Photo

The photographers' thread

• Please log in to reply
1486 replies to this topic

#1451 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 21:27

The day before I set orf for the Le Mans Classic my dream lens arrived- Nikon 55mm f1.2, something one could only aspire to way back then. I banged off a few rolls on the F in between the serious stuff. It will be a while before I get around to mixing the D76 and scanning-in though.

However, having attended a couple of those events at Calumet and that other place(!) I really am wondering if I should replace my monitor. They had sorts of stuff on display(;-)) which made my puny olde-skule screen look like BBC 405 lines (not, as it happens a bad thing). I'm currently viewing the forum on a screen not much larger that a fat A4 page, can anyone recommend something larger, which will not cost the earth?

14492676510_02a78594f7_b.jpg

Edited by elansprint72, 18 July 2014 - 10:33.

Advertisement

#1452 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:28

The day before I set orf for the Le Mans Classic my dream lens arrived- Nikon 55mm f1.2, something one could only aspire to way back then. I banged off a few rolls on the F1...

I suspect that's not quite what you meant, unless you've obtained some kind of adapter to connect your new lens.

Canon_F1_alt.jpg

Like you Pete, I've never had much interest in non-Nikon equipment, even though I had a Leica obsessed "no other cameras are worth serious consideration..." father, but a friend had an F1, and it's the only Canon product I've even been impressed by, solid and basic, a worthy competitor for the Nikon F & F2. I'm sure that today Canon outnumber Nikon, "consumer" versions at least, unquestionably good products, but like most of us, I stick with what I've always known, I'm in a Nikon rut, probably the same as you.

#1453 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:55

., can anyone recommend something larger, which will not cost the earth?

Pete, a couple of months ago, I plumped for a Samsung S24C300H 24" LED monitor.   Got the impression while shopping around that this monster size is now the norm (sounds as though my previous one was equivalent to yours in size) and I'm now used to having the extra 'load area' - actually quite handy when pratting around with Photoshop's various tabs, for example, though I'm still educating myaself to sitting a bit further back from its vast acreage.  My particular example took a little while to calibrate to my satisfaction - had a nasty magenta hue that I just couldn't get rid of, despite (because of?) the bundled software - but now seems consistently good.  I notice that inevitably, it's since been replaced by a newer (and cheaper!) model.   Hope that helps, anyway.

Edited by Odseybod, 18 July 2014 - 09:57.

#1454 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:36

I suspect that's not quite what you meant, unless you've obtained some kind of adapter to connect your new lens.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Now even I have  got eff wun disease. Edited it out!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

The F1 does look like  a proper tool  (rather like myself). :smoking:

#1455 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:42

Pete, a couple of months ago, I plumped for a Samsung S24C300H 24" LED monitor.   Got the impression while shopping around that this monster size is now the norm (sounds as though my previous one was equivalent to yours in size) and I'm now used to having the extra 'load area' - actually quite handy when pratting around with Photoshop's various tabs, for example, though I'm still educating myaself to sitting a bit further back from its vast acreage.  My particular example took a little while to calibrate to my satisfaction - had a nasty magenta hue that I just couldn't get rid of, despite (because of?) the bundled software - but now seems consistently good.  I notice that inevitably, it's since been replaced by a newer (and cheaper!) model.   Hope that helps, anyway.

I'll check it out; one problem I'll face it there are some shelves on the wall at the rear of my desk; I'll perhaps have to lose the bottom shelf in order to allow the monitor to be further away from my beady minces. I looked, a few months ago, for monitor which was roughly the 3x2 aspect ratio of a 36x24mm image but they were all stupidly expensive "pro tools". I'm not really a fan of letter-box shaped widescreens, even for watching Coronation St.  Ooops...

#1456 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:31

I'll check it out; one problem I'll face it there are some shelves on the wall at the rear of my desk; I'll perhaps have to lose the bottom shelf in order to allow the monitor to be further away from my beady minces. I looked, a few months ago, for monitor which was roughly the 3x2 aspect ratio of a 36x24mm image but they were all stupidly expensive "pro tools". I'm not really a fan of letter-box shaped widescreens, even for watching Coronation St.  Ooops...

I may be able to help there, a year or two ago I faced exactly the same problem, I had a very good 22" Samsung VA monitor, but it got damaged and I wanted an upgrade. Believing a magazine write-up I bought a Benq 24" VA model, and it was bloody awful, the contrast and colours were all over the place and no amount of adjustment helped. It was the worst I'd ever seen and quite useless for photo work, so I returned the thing. After a bit more research I decided it had to be an IPS panel, and decided on a Dell Supersharp, which is mindblowingly good in every way, see your work on one of these, and you wouldn't consider anything else. It's possible to pay a lot more for top quality pro items, but for even discerning amateurs like us, I can't see the point, especially if we're paying for the things. Another important point for me was that this Dell has a 16:10 ratio, probably like your existing one, I don't go for letterbox shaped screens either, I suspect that the entire market these days is slanted towards "movies" and "gaming" whatever that is, with aspect ratio and garish colours to match. My model is a 24" Dell Supersharp U2412M, and it cost almost £300, but I think I've seen them for not much over £200 on Amazon recently, it's definitely worth having even at the higher price, but I can't help or advise on any furniture problems, you might have to get your saw & screwdriver out.

I think I have your e-mail address, I'll scan and send you a reliable magazine review of the Dell, of which I agree with every word.

#1457 D_M_J

D_M_J

• 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:45

I've used Dell Ultrasharp monitors for the last 8 years or so, at home and in the studio at work, been really impressed and not had any problems.  Not looked at prices recently though, as they've lasted well!  Currently using 27" (plus second monitor), I like a lot of space  ;), but the 24" should be a good size for photography work.  A well sorted monitor does make a huge difference....

.David.

#1458 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 19:44

I bought a ColorMunki Smile via Ebay, about £65, it is a device which looks rather like a USB mouse which you dangle in the middle of your screen. You load the software, fill in the bits and bobs, and when you start the program it flashes up colours and hues which a receptor in the mouse measures; while this is happening the software is adjusting the output so that the colours match what is expected. It takes subjectivity out of the equation. I've probably said this somewhere before, but this sort of thread reappears on a regular basis!

http://xritephoto.com/colormunki-smile

#1459 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 21:14

Thanks to all the on and off-forum responses; I conducted a poll and ordered a... a  ... Christ on a bike, what did I order? Old age, eh?

It is due to arrive on Tuesday (hopefully Mrs T will not be around, because this week I've ordered a new Merc Motorhome and, "accidentally", brought back a really bright red VW Polo, this evening, because she said the TT did not have enough seats- she noticed it(!) and said that I was on my final warning). If anyone can explain to me why "Wimmin" sometimes just will not understand that a chap needs hobbies, I'd like to buy him a couple of beers... doh.. another forbidden hobby........

"Yes Dear, I'm coming right along with your medication.. by the way did you see the House of Lords debate on assisted end of life decisions today..........?"  :smoking:

Advertisement

#1460 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:06

Well; the marvels of Amazon- it arrived today (Sunday); I managed to hide the packaging and the old monitor and 'erslf so far, has not noticed- she even commented on how good one of my photos was, whilst looking at the big screen!

The Dell Ultrasharp 24 seems to be what I ordered; first impressions are extremely favourable. Thanks to all who gave advice. :clap:

#1461 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:18

14515004638_f0fdefe1c7_b.jpg

It really is much easier when you can see what you are looking at! :smoking:

Edited by elansprint72, 20 July 2014 - 19:19.

#1462 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:39

14593312069_c10c62552b_b.jpg

#1463 DMB81

DMB81

• 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 20:54

Many great names mentioned, but Nick Loudon is the top man, his Black & White stuff from the 1960's is incomparable,is work should be seen more

DMB

#1464 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 22:09

Many great names mentioned, but Nick Loudon is the top man, his Black & White stuff from the 1960's is incomparable,is work should be seen more

DMB

Nick and his photos have featured in various threads over the years on TNF, principally on this one started by Andrew Kitson in 2008

http://forums.autosp...t-photographer/

#1465 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:20

The joys of film development.....

So; I've loaded five rolls into my dev-tank (under the duvet, after dark). I get my big jug of water to the correct 20 degrees and stir in the D76 powder (no more time-expired Ilford developers for me), pour in the dev and set my stopwatch. I'm just about to chuck out the 500ml excess dev when I notice a steady stream of liquid down the side of the tank! The bloody thing has a split in it! Chuck in all the dev, to allow for leakage, not forgetting to agitate every minute.

Wash the jug and measure out the Ilford(!) stop-bath- arrrrgggh it gone brown with gloopy bits which clog the filter, don't panic, don't panic, it's only stop-bath. The resulting mix looks (and smells) not unlike weasels' piss. Chuck it in for as long as it takes to make up the fixer and pausing only to flush the tank with water, in with the fixer.

Now off to research the availability of powder stop-bath, while the film washes. Also, am prepared for cardiac arrest when I discover how much Paterson 6-roll dev-tanks have gone up in the last 40 years.  :(

#1466 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:32

So; I've loaded five rolls into my dev-tank (under the duvet, after dark). I get my big jug of water to the correct 20 degrees and stir in the D76 powder (no more time-expired Ilford developers for me), pour in the dev and set my stopwatch. I'm just about to chuck out the 500ml excess dev when I notice a steady stream of liquid down the side of the tank! The bloody thing has a split in it! Chuck in all the dev, to allow for leakage, not forgetting to agitate every minute.

Wash the jug and measure out the Ilford(!) stop-bath- arrrrgggh it gone brown with gloopy bits which clog the filter, don't panic, don't panic, it's only stop-bath. The resulting mix looks (and smells) not unlike weasels' piss. Chuck it in for as long as it takes to make up the fixer and pausing only to flush the tank with water, in with the fixer.

Now off to research the availability of powder stop-bath, while the film washes. Also, am prepared for cardiac arrest when I discover how much Paterson 6-roll dev-tanks have gone up in the last 40 years.  :(

Ever thought of going digital Pete, you'd save yourself all that bother...

And while you're fiddling about under the duvet, does your good wife believe you when you tell her you're just loading film?

#1467 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 15:49

Rob:  Tee hee...

And, of course, some light got in through the split in the tank and fogged a few of the shots...  :cry:

Thirty quid for a new one.

#1468 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 18:10

Rob:  Tee hee...

And, of course, some light got in through the split in the tank and fogged a few of the shots...  :cry:

Thirty quid for a new one.

I was too polite to ask Pete, but I did wonder how you were going to explain away that damp patch in the marital bed.

#1469 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 18:38

Tears :cry:      :smoking:

#1470 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 21:04

It was this sort of excitement that persuaded me to send my b&w films away for processing :) .  Even if the  chemicals were still just about fresh enough to use, there always seemed to be some associated minor crisis halfway through the developing (assuming the complete film could be coaxed into the spiral in the first place, without having a tantrum two-thirds of the way in). Add to that the various precipitants in our water, mainly courtesy of our local farming community, that practically guarantee lotsa spots on the negatives,  and it seems well worth Mr Peak's reasonable charges for saving me all the hassle (and spot removal). Mind you. I only shoot four or five rolls of b&w a year, whereas I believe you shoot a lot more, Pete (so the cost could become more of a consideration).    

But I have to admit I don't really miss the film developing malarky - whereas I do sometimes still pine for the thrill of watching a monocrhome print materialise in a darkroom.

#1471 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 21:57

But I have to admit I don't really miss the film developing malarky - whereas I do sometimes still pine for the thrill of watching a monocrhome print materialise in a darkroom.

Exactly...

The sloshing of a 24" x 36" piece of paper in those massive trays... heck, it's coming up too fast/slow... all done in a ridiculous, dim, red light. The satisfaction of getting it absolutely spot-on, only to read the client's letter the next day, asking for TEN, not ONE prints!

Try telling that to the ten-thousand shots a meeting  "photographers" today...   ;)

No wonder my flickr user-name is Forrest Grump: https://www.flickr.c...s/16096573@N02/

However; this is why we bother:

14724212998_7a2c6dbc88_b.jpg

Shame about the Space-Man helmet...

Edited by elansprint72, 13 August 2014 - 22:08.

#1472 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:52

pete, and anyone else still shooting b/w film....

have you tried whatever the current version of ilford's xp-1 is?

i used it back in the day. rated at 400, i overexposed it a little, usually 320 in full sun. it's a non-color color film developed in c-41. any place that does color negs should handle it with no problem.

great tonal range and when exposed as i did it, it is virtually grainless, especially when printed with a cold light enlarger,

here are some of examples. except for a few early years, xp-1 is what i shot the majority of my career.

click on vertical images to see them at full size once they open in flickr....

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14244164092

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14705694508

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14678044860

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14848238802

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14868093283

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14838876844

https://www.flickr.c...N03/14742315171

my albums/sets/or whatever they're being called today......

https://www.flickr.c...681980@N03/sets

#1473 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 20:41

Paradise lost: and found.... hopefully.

Last week-end at Oulton for some reason I did not put my 1968 Weston Master V light meter back into its case (possibly the only time I have not done so) stuffed it into my Barbour bag....  of course I then dropped the bag which, unfortunately, contained the Nikon F with 55mm f1.2 lens attached, combined weight best described as "considerable". The impact deformed the ally case of the Weston and broke the glass. Bugger! This item cost me a week's wages back in '68 and has performed faultlessly ever since- it was like losing an old friend.

The chances of finding a decent replacement were somewhat slim- most of the Westons for sale look dubious and expensive, the only company in the UK which was doing refubs has been defunct for a while. Imagine my surprise on finding an unused one still in the box, with all the bits, manual, leaflets, sachet of drying-out stuff etc. just as I remember it. Bagged it of e-bay with a last-second bid for about £40 delivered! Much less than some of the messed about with others advertised. Lesson learned- always put a delicate instrument back in its case, even if you miss the shot.

The Nikon F? bomb-proof, hope I never drop it on my foot... or a GTO!

#1474 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 21:22

Nikon F: "The hockey puck that could take pictures."   (Apparently first coined by camera repairer Marty Forscher to suggest it's quite robust ...)

#1475 PCC

PCC

• 465 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:41

You don't even need to carry it around in a bag - you can just tie a string to it, and drag it around behind you...

#1476 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,788 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 00:57

I had a Nikon F2 many moons ago...bomb proof was the way I'd describe it....sadly not thievery proof.....got poached one night in la bell Italia....I've lamented the loss ever since.

#1477 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 14:26

Finally figured out how to post pictures!

image.jpg

This Riccardo Patrese during Friday practice for the 1986 Canadian GP

#1478 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 14:38

These pics are from the 2014 Canadian GP Historic F1 (MastersGP) race.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

#1479 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,489 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 20:33

Haven't posted here awhile, Ah the joys of living in the bush and rarely having Internet!

Pete, glad you got a monitor, you'll love it. I use a Pantone Eye One calibrator with a LaCie 324, calibrated in 2008 and not since. Color is so stable on this thing it's amazing, despite it bouncing down back roads every day in a VW bus.

Hope all are well here. We've been on the road 13 months and pull out the D800 at times. Bless Nikon for it being compatible with my old AIS lenses.

Happy Shooting to All.

Advertisement

#1480 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:57

This is a new one on me from today's Daily Telegraph, it's a Kwanon camera, the very first product of the company later renamed as Canon. I'm still trying to work out what it reminds me of...

Kwanon-prototype_I_3023325k.jpg

#1481 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:08

This is a new one on me from today's Daily Telegraph, it's a Kwanon camera, the very first product of the company later renamed as Canon. I'm still trying to work out what it reminds me of...

Kwanon-prototype_I_3023325k.jpg

Kayemod..too large for a Brownie..or do you think of the 'cheap' German product starting with 'L'??

Michael

#1482 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 13:09

I suspect their design team donned elaborate disguises and sneaked into Leicester to copy the plans of the Reid III.

#1483 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 13:43

... or a Kardon, Leotax, Tanack or Periflex...   not an exhaustive list.   ;)

#1484 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,362 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 15:28

:smoking:

15125293341_a53dd205e4_b.jpg

#1485 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 16:23

Looks a good buy (the Weston) and probably less hassle than the Photomic FTn head, which uses unobtainanle mercury cells and needs recalibrating (or mental arithmetic) if you use the lower-voltage substitutes. Which was why I switched to the F2.

#1486 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:32

re: the Kwanon

most likely would be banned from public sale today.

just look at those knurled knobs.  it wouldn't be difficult to foresee the injuries that would result when the knobs were twirled too frequently or too rapidly

#1487 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:33

Some nice, 'arty' shots on these Goodwood galleries

http://grrc.goodwood...racing-liveries

http://grrc.goodwood...orning-goodwood