• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 20:54

This was only $0.84:

Posted Image

It's not a high detail thing but I think it's cool that Hot Wheels released this interesting piece of F1 history.

What do you think? I bought both available pieces.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 20:59

Nice! Interesting colour scheme, too.

#3 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 21:31

It first came out in a more nearly correct colour............but it doesn't compare well to the Polistil model from the late 1970s:

Posted Image

Paul M

#4 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 22:06

at least it has someone to drive it.

#5 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 22:14

at least it has someone to drive it.

But the driver seems awfully small to me!

#6 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 22:51

This was only $0.84:

It's not a high detail thing but I think it's cool that Hot Wheels released this interesting piece of F1 history.

What do you think? I bought both available pieces.

:wave: I did the same thing a few days before Christmas! I got the white one to drop in my dad's stocking and kept the blue one for me. Can't pass up a Tyrrell 6-wheeler for < $1.

#7 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 22:58

All the best drivers are small. There's a reason Shaquille became a basketball player and not an F1 driver.

#8 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 23:04

Well of course he's small. If he were actual size, he couldn't even get his little finger into that cockpit...

Frank

#9 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 23:19

:wave: I did the same thing a few days before Christmas! I got the white one to drop in my dad's stocking and kept the blue one for me. Can't pass up a Tyrrell 6-wheeler for < $1.

They had blue ones by you?

:mad: <-OLB's jealous face

#10 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 23:49

I'll have to check out my local store. Hot Wheels tends to release historic racing cars in somewhat accurate livery, at least at first. I have a Ferrari Sharknose, a Shadow Can-Am car, a Cunningham, a Jaguar D-Type, and a Corvette SR-2, all of which are in reasonably accurate colors. Heck, the Jag is in Ecurie Ecosse blue with a white nose stripe!

-WDH

#11 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 23:52

I'll have to check out my local store. Hot Wheels tends to release historic racing cars in somewhat accurate livery, at least at first. I have a Ferrari Sharknose, a Shadow Can-Am car, a Cunningham, a Jaguar D-Type, and a Corvette SR-2, all of which are in reasonably accurate colors. Heck, the Jag is in Ecurie Ecosse blue with a white nose stripe!

-WDH

P34 must be the most reproduced F1 scale model ever, no? Someone once told me the royalties made Ken quite some money, relatively speaking, but I don't know if that is true.

#12 bsc

bsc

• 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 00:47

P34 must be the most reproduced F1 scale model ever, no? Someone once told me the royalties made Ken quite some money, relatively speaking, but I don't know if that is true.

I'm not sure about the Tyrrell; however, the March 2-4-0 proved to be one of more profitable cars for that marque (according to Mike Lawrence's book) on account of the royalties paid by Scalextric.

#13 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:24

Hi guys ,

If you view the Derek Gardner memorial thread you will see in an earlier post there that the packaging itself mentions the P34's designer as well

Paul

And i agree it's a great bargain for under a buck.In fact i found both a Blue one and a White one at a local Kroger's on sale for 69 cents each.

#14 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:53

Yeah, that's been a popular model.

They're a couple of dollars here (Australia) and fly off the shelves. I have two of each; the white ones will be repainted in the right colour and with accurate signage.

Hot Wheels have done some great stuff in the last few years; there's a nice Triumph TR6, the Cunningham, Ferrari 156, a P4, a 512M, a very nice 250 GTO. But they all have wheels that are too big. Oh well.

The popular ones here have been the two versions (locally) of the XB Falcon - only the second time Hot Wheels have done an Australian car (they did a Holden Commodore in about 1998). There's a US-only release of a red Falcon (the others are yellow and blue) which is in their Garage range. If anyone sees one (or more) I know lots of folks that'd love one!

Bruce Moxon

#15 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:10

Bruce ,

So you want only red Falcons if we come across them or all of various colored falcons if we spot em?

Since they are austrailia based cars many kids here seem to be ignoring them,since i have seen a good quantity of the gold ones in the bins due to the fact the kids have never seen any here in the usa on the road.

Paul

#16 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:44

Bruce ,

So you want only red Falcons if we come across them or all of various colored falcons if we spot em?

Since they are austrailia based cars many kids here seem to be ignoring them,since i have seen a good quantity of the gold ones in the bins due to the fact the kids have never seen any here in the usa on the road.

Paul

Ooh, thanks Paul!

As far as we know, there are only red ones (but knowing Hot Wheels...)

I'd be delighted to have a couple of the red ones if you could manage it.

Bruce Moxon

#17 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 18:42

This is the Ferrari "Sharknose":

Posted Image

#18 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,012 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 00:36

Yup, that's the one.

Their 512M (before)

Posted Image

and after

Posted Image

Cunningham C4R

Posted Image

Ferrari 333SP

Posted Image

Lancia Stratos

Posted Image

And Mercedes CLK

Posted Image

A pity about the stupidly big wheels. But these (and more like them) are great little things for a couple of dollars each. And some pull ten times that, brand new, on the collectors market. We're (collectors) even hearing of shop staff pinching the 'good' ones out of the boxes before they hit the shelves.

Bruce Moxon

#19 Anthem

Anthem

• 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:10

Yup, that's the one.

A pity about the stupidly big wheels.

Bruce Moxon

A "what if" rappers start collecting classic cars, Bitches.