Photo

1959 Monte Carlo Rally info required

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:08

Can anyone on the board help me out, i have a friend in Europe who needs proof that a Fairthorpe Electron Minor with a Triumph engine competed in an international event. I know that Air Vice Marshall Bennett competed AND finished the 1959 Monte Carlo Rally in an Electron Minor with a 948cc engine, he had race number 206 and started from Paris. The proof in print can be found in the two volume set `Le Rallye Monte Carlo 1911-2000` by Maurice Louche, i also know the book costs a pretty penny! Does anyone have a copy which they could scan the relevent page for me?
Many thanks for any help given..............Martin Collins

Advertisement

#2 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:23

Can anyone on the board help me out, i have a friend in Europe who needs proof that a Fairthorpe Electron Minor with a Triumph engine competed in an international event. I know that Air Vice Marshall Bennett competed AND finished the 1959 Monte Carlo Rally in an Electron Minor with a 948cc engine, he had race number 206 and started from Paris. The proof in print can be found in the two volume set `Le Rallye Monte Carlo 1911-2000` by Maurice Louche, i also know the book costs a pretty penny! Does anyone have a copy which they could scan the relevent page for me?

Have you tried to find the result online?

#3 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:33

What are you offering in return? :rolleyes:

#4 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:36

I have done an online search and not turned the full results up or an entry list..............Martin

#5 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:38

What are you offering in return?

My eternal gratitude! :D

..............Martin

#6 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:43

Most results on line are copies from that book. I can't immediately recall which thread, but if it's not this one it will be a specific Monte thread on Forum Auto:
http://www.forum-aut...sujet379029.htm

I only have a copy of the Glasgow starters from 59 but I would have got it from Forum Auto.

If it is for an historic eligibility question, I doubt you will find confirmation of engine type, just capacity.

(Oh, and the rally world is prepared to forgive references to "race" when rally is meant....this time!)

Edited by RS2000, 19 January 2011 - 22:44.

#7 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 21:00

Many thanks for your help, i followed your link and have gone through the whole 53 pages without luck unfortunatly. I am sure the information is somewhere on the site but as i don`t read French trying to do a search or post the question on there is a bit difficult. I know Fairthorpes did the Monte several years including 59...........Martin

#8 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 21:44

Many thanks for your help, i followed your link and have gone through the whole 53 pages without luck unfortunatly. I am sure the information is somewhere on the site but as i don`t read French trying to do a search or post the question on there is a bit difficult. I know Fairthorpes did the Monte several years including 59...........Martin

Lookee here...One D. Bennet in a Fairthorpe. Is this what you were looking for?

#9 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 22:16

That is great, unfortunatly it only lists the car as a Fairthorpe although i know it was a Triumph (Standard 10) powered Electron Minor. What was a major surprise to me was that further down he is listed as an RAC Rally entry in a Climax powered car (Electron), i knew he did the Monte in an Electron on a couple of occasions but that is the first time i had seen the RAC mentioned. Many thanks for that, you guys are so helpful............Martin

#10 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 22:50

I hesitate to suggest the next most likely thread on Forum Auto (all 216 pages of it...):
http://www.forum-aut...sujet243862.htm

As mentioned earlier, the Louche book tends to only list the make, rather than the model, so it's unlikely to specifically state "with Triumph engine". The UK magazines - Motor, Autocar etc. may be a better bet for that. Many years around then there was some sort of preview of the Monte listing UK entries which might have expanded on a car like a Fairthorpe to mention the engine.
What are the regulations you are attempting to prove the car is eligible for?

#11 camerat

camerat

• 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:07

From the news-paper L'Equipe january 1959.

Posted Image

And a picture of the car.

Posted Image

#12 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 20:28

Many thanks those replies have really helped, my friend in Europe wants to race a Fairthorpe in Historic events in his country but it has to get passed the FIA `international event in period` the info you have all turned up will help considerably...........Martin

#13 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 20:45

Hello,

My Friend Camerat, upside, give you some informations.

I find this for you in the famous book of Maurice LOUCHE . I hope that new for you and your friends

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards from France

#14 bhalmi

bhalmi

• 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 16:03

Hello,

My Friend Camerat, upside, give you some informations.

I find this for you in the famous book of Maurice LOUCHE . I hope that new for you and your friends

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards from France

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread - and I will start a new post if appropriate - but here is my question:
My father Bob Halmi has talked of a great finish in the Monte Carlo Rally. From the post by Haine Kane I can now see that he placed 108th in the 1959 Rally. Apparently that was the best US finish that year. Can someone check the results for the 1957,58 and 60 Monte Carlo results and let me know if he had any better finishes. Maybe his "great finish" was the '59 rally? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Bill

#15 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 16:22

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread - and I will start a new post if appropriate - but here is my question:
My father Bob Halmi has talked of a great finish in the Monte Carlo Rally. From the post by Haine Kane I can now see that he placed 108th in the 1959 Rally. Apparently that was the best US finish that year. Can someone check the results for the 1957,58 and 60 Monte Carlo results and let me know if he had any better finishes. Maybe his "great finish" was the '59 rally? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Bill

1957 the rally was cancelled, 1958 he retired, 1959, as you say, 108th, and I can find no mention of him in 1960.

Do you know much about the 1958 and 1959 Alpine Rallies in which he competed?

Fred

#16 bhalmi

bhalmi

• 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 16:29

1957 the rally was cancelled, 1958 he retired, 1959, as you say, 108th, and I can find no mention of him in 1960.

Do you know much about the 1958 and 1959 Alpine Rallies in which he competed?

Fred

Thanks for the quick reply.
No I don't. I recall a story about a bad crash that almost killed him - not sure if that was the Alpine Rally.
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Bill