* * * * - 11 votes

Official Group Lotus Thread

• Please log in to reply
553 replies to this topic

#151 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:37

I honestly believe that Tony Fernandes is the worthy person who can keep Team Lotus name. he can choose NOTto race with its name, but certainly Dany Bahar is not worthy, nor Clive Chapman.

Advertisement

#152 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 13:24

I honestly believe that Tony Fernandes is the worthy person who can keep Team Lotus name. he can choose NOTto race with its name, but certainly Dany Bahar is not worthy, nor Clive Chapman.

They have both had their chance of buying it and didn't. Clive woulds only give it to Group so they can milk everything out of it, and call every car they sponsor Team Lotus and create loads of Team Lotus special Ferrari rip-offs.

A tweet from Tony:

Now that's development. Airasia has believed. 7th in the world championship. Unbelievable. Well done razlan at sic. 7th. Wow. Watch us next year. And also for those non believers watch us in team lotus.

Hmmm. This doesn't sound like he is giving up the Team Lotus name does it?

#153 Fubar1979

Fubar1979

• 320 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 13:33

Even if TF does give up the team lotus name and change the team to Team Caterham Renault will only be using Lotus name and NOT Team Lotus so TF will still have the TL name thats the jist I get from the Autosport news regarding teams and their name change, no where did it state that Renault would be getting the Team Lotus name just Lotus..

#154 August

August

• 2,040 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 15:20

Hmmm. This doesn't sound like he is giving up the Team Lotus name does it?

If the chassis name change got complicated, then the team might be called Caterham Team Lotus (sponsored by AirAsia) and their cars would stay Lotuses.

#155 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 423 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 18:15

Even if TF does give up the team lotus name and change the team to Team Caterham Renault will only be using Lotus name and NOT Team Lotus so TF will still have the TL name thats the jist I get from the Autosport news regarding teams and their name change, no where did it state that Renault would be getting the Team Lotus name just Lotus..

That was my biggest concern, but if its just a case of the Team name being "retired" again, then that's fine. Admittedly I would prefer if they could stay on as Team Lotus The Next Generation, but then I've said before that I would also have preferred the Lotus Racing name to have stayed as it was, but you can't win 'em all.

If the chassis name change got complicated, then the team might be called Caterham Team Lotus (sponsored by AirAsia) and their cars would stay Lotuses.

Now that'd be a turn up for the books.

I doubt it'd happen but it'd be funny if Renault allowed Team to re-brand their engines as Team Lotus so it'd be Air Asia Caterham-Team Lotus. :)

#156 August

August

• 2,040 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 18:41

After all, I think that the tweet has nothing to do with the name case. With non-believers he probably meant people who don't believe Team Lotus will improve, and he calls the team Team Lotus, as it's the team's name until something else is announced.

#157 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,774 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 19:36

Some fascinating new nuggets from Dany Bahar:

http://www.autoevolu...ahar-39496.html

Difficult to say how much he is interested in a 'new Seven', but he does have this marvellous little gem:

And all our hybrids cars will be based on a hybrid technology.

Just how I like it!

#158 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 20:24

What is it with Lotus and its appeal to characters like Dany Bahar, Romano Artioli, David Thieme and John DeLorean? Does Porsche have a similar ability for people such as those above to get into the decision making process?

The Lotus Seven replacement I believe was a product by Lotus engineering for a Spanish company (I could be wrong). In the end they never took it and it appeared a couple of years ago as a guessed new model in Dany Bahar’s new direction plans. In the end it never made it.

I just don’t know what to make of Dany really. The plan is being eroded by factors such as the economic climate but also the realization that making it in the automotive industry is hard. The stresses caused Colin Chapman’s death.

I do have a question. Of all the money that has gone to Lotus recently could someone give me a breakdown of what is required for each project? There are 5 models planned to be introduced in the next few years, an engine program, Indy car involvement, a planned re-introduction to WRC, GP2 Sponsorship and the acquisition of a Formula one team. Can this feasibly be achieved? Furthermore is their a precedent of a Formula One team to have its title sponsor go broke midway through a season?

At the same time the Ginetta G60 is snapping at the heals of the Evora, which is meant to bankroll production until the Esprit in 2013. Rather him than me.

#159 Red17

Red17

• 3,307 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:41

I do have a question. Of all the money that has gone to Lotus recently could someone give me a breakdown of what is required for each project? There are 5 models planned to be introduced in the next few years, an engine program, Indy car involvement, a planned re-introduction to WRC, GP2 Sponsorship and the acquisition of a Formula one team. Can this feasibly be achieved? Furthermore is their a precedent of a Formula One team to have its title sponsor go broke midway through a season?

Not it's not, and as a result Group Lotus did not get all the money they asked for from the banks.
There is an article from June or July that quotes a bank representative who says quite clearly that the project was dificult. Group Lotus also failed to get monet from the UK goverment after «tipping off» that production could be moved out of the UK. So no one in the world, even with the backing of Malaysian goverment believed this enough to lend all the money.

As a result one of the 5 models as been canned, LMP car has been canned as well and the «old models» have been resurrected.

From what I have read the cheapest thing is actually the whole sponsorship/motorsport programme farse. But it will pose a question in the future about how much of Lotus DNA is in use.
So far Dany has done nothing more than copying the «Marlboro Racing» scheme. Sure it looks very nostalgic having two Lotus inspired liveries, but in the medium term those teams will also have an identity problem as sponsors will ask them if they are a works team or why isnt Group Lotus part of the management, other teams in lower formula tiers may also feel that being a «half/tie-in works team» will be unfair against a mainly privateer grid as they will have access to more money than other teams and increase series costs too much.

The potential revival of the 7 is one of the those /facepalm things. It really looks like Dany is not letting Fernandes go. I do wonder if this had anything at all to do with Lotus, it looks more and more that Lotus is simply a cushion for Dany's antics.

So there is a potential for (more) court rullings since Caterham will probably feel that Group Lotus is trying to pass their new 7 as the old 7 that was sold by Chapman to Caterham and is generally consired THE Lotus 7.

Advertisement

#160 BRG

BRG

• 11,447 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 20:04

What is it with Lotus and its appeal to characters like Dany Bahar, Romano Artioli, David Thieme and John DeLorean? Does Porsche have a similar ability for people such as those above to get into the decision making process?

David Thieme? A sponsor of Team Lotus - not Group Lotus - we are continually preached at here about the difference. And DeLorean simply employed Lotus as consultants. To suggest that either of them owned or controlled Lotus Cars is just more of the misinformation that is trotted out here so often. :rolleyes:

At the same time the Ginetta G60 is snapping at the heals of the Evora, which is meant to bankroll production until the Esprit in 2013. Rather him than me.

Well, it has been well received by the car critics (as has the Evora S of course), but have Ginetta actually SOLD any road cars? It will take a while before they even catch sight of Lotus's heels....

Edited by BRG, 28 October 2011 - 20:05.

#161 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 22:22

Oh BRG what a textbook error I’ve made!!!

There was me seeing a picture of an Essex liveried Esprit and assumed it was related to Team Lotus. What again is the difference between the two prior to the 1985 agreement?

As for Delorean didn’t he originally make a bid to buy Lotus prior to using their engineering services? The excellent documentary “The Secret Life of Colin Chapman” (particularly parts 3, 4 and 5 on You Tube) brings attention to this. Then again, as you have so delicately highlighted with the rolled eyes emoticons, you obviously knew about this.

Your loyalty and knowledge to Lotus is far greater than mine, and you are rightfully known on this post as an expert. Perhaps then you could help my, now naïve, original question about the allocation of the funds towards the certain projects?

#162 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,774 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10

Well, it has been well received by the car critics (as has the Evora S of course), but have Ginetta actually SOLD any road cars? It will take a while before they even catch sight of Lotus's heels....

Ginetta themselves only say they anticipate selling 50 cars a year though it remains to be seen if they will achieve this. It is not a good time for that segment (unless you're Porsche) as the Evora's sales hold testament to. One thing not helping new Evora sales is that 2009 Evoras are now sub £35K...

#163 BRG

BRG

• 11,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 16:42

Oh BRG what a textbook error I’ve made!!!

Quite so. You now realise that neither Thieme nor DeLorean had any part in the decision making at Lotus Cars, as you originally implied. So that's alright then.

Your loyalty and knowledge to Lotus is far greater than mine, and you are rightfully known on this post as an expert. Perhaps then you could help my, now naïve, original question about the allocation of the funds towards the certain projects?

Sarcastic BS? I have no idea about the allocation of funds towards certain projects, and have never claimed to have any such knowledge. But unlike some of the 'anti-Bahar' brigade here, I don't then just make something up and pretend it is fact.

#164 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 18:51

BRG I would hate to fall out over this!

I was not being sarcastic. I have read many of your posts and you are very knowledgeable about this subject. Does your knowledge extend to how these funds are allocated? It is an honest question, however, you have stated no - so there's there.

In addition as my original post stated I used the term "Lotus" as opposed to "Team" or "Group". Do you not find it a little odd that "Lotus" (not "Team" or "Group") has this ability to attract such characters - regardless of whether they are involved in the decision making process or not? Both Theime and Delorean did get close to the decision making process, maybe not on a board level. However, Delorean's invovlment (NOT in the decision making) was a contributing factor to Colin's untimely end. Certainly the trial judge thought that Chapman's closeness and co-operation with Delorean should have landed him in prison.

As for the Ginetta remark I stated "snapping at the heels" of the Evora - in terms of performace NOT eroding sales.

However I hope we can remain friends over this minor disagreement?

#165 BRG

BRG

• 11,447 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 22:00

BRG I would hate to fall out over this!

I was not being sarcastic. I have read many of your posts and you are very knowledgeable about this subject. Does your knowledge extend to how these funds are allocated? It is an honest question, however, you have stated no - so there's there.

In addition as my original post stated I used the term "Lotus" as opposed to "Team" or "Group". Do you not find it a little odd that "Lotus" (not "Team" or "Group") has this ability to attract such characters - regardless of whether they are involved in the decision making process or not? Both Theime and Delorean did get close to the decision making process, maybe not on a board level. However, Delorean's invovlment (NOT in the decision making) was a contributing factor to Colin's untimely end. Certainly the trial judge thought that Chapman's closeness and co-operation with Delorean should have landed him in prison.

As for the Ginetta remark I stated "snapping at the heels" of the Evora - in terms of performace NOT eroding sales.

However I hope we can remain friends over this minor disagreement?

I do apologise if I misjudged you. But there are some trolls in these Lotus threads...

I don't think Lotus (either Team or Group) have been particularly unfortunate in attracting dubious partners. There have been plenty of other similar instances involving other teams. Southern Organs, Prince Malik, and so on. Thieme's Essex seemed a respectable sponsor for quite a long time before it all became a bit dodgy, and DeLorean was the saviour of Chrysler and later persuaded the UK government to support him. No-one knew about the drug dealing till later! And possibly Chapman's chickens were starting to come home to roost by then anyway.

:wave:

#166 GTF1man

GTF1man

• 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:32

And on a different note about goverment support...

Group Lotus Secures UK Government Backing

Group Lotus awarded multi million Regional Growth Fund
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has formally confirmed that Group Lotus’ bid for funds from the second round of the Regional Growth Fund (RGF) has been successful.

One of the main purposes of the Regional Growth Fund is to support growth within the UK manufacturing sector. Lotus recognised that the Government was seeking applications which would enable private sector organisations to invest in projects that would create jobs and secure long-term growth. Lotus’ growth plans are completely aligned with the Fund’s objectives and will go someway towards rebalancing employment between the public and private sector in the South Norfolk region.

The grant will be put to good use supporting the industrial research element of the production of Lotus’ future product range. This significant development will go towards ensuring that the manufacturing of future Lotus products remains in the UK for the foreseeable future and in the process create a considerable number of new jobs over the next five to six years.

Commenting on the news, Group Lotus Chief Executive Officer, Dany Bahar said: “This is great news for all those concerned about Group Lotus moving production overseas, to say that we’re pleased with the result would be an understatement. We are an authentic British automotive manufacturer with an incredible heritage and an exciting future ahead, this funding will play a role in assisting with the realisation of our business plan to produce a new range of sports cars with best in class performance and emissions.

“We would like to thank everyone for their support during the bid process. The local authorities, MPs and the local enterprise partnership have all played a role in helping us secure this funding – we’re very grateful, it’s nice to know people feel strongly enough to act on our behalf.”

Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “We need to be doing all we can to enable businesses and organisations to create much needed jobs and inject private investment into the economy.

“We have announced today that a further 162 projects will benefit from the fund, and expect to deliver a huge number of jobs across their businesses and in the supply chain.

“This is a very significant boost to local communities, and the Regional Growth Fund will help businesses like Lotus to drive local growth.”

#167 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 22:40

It may be something old, but I've just realized that Lotus Cars has a line of clothes were despite selling pieces with LotusCars logo some allusions to past Team Lotus' (Chapmans' one) wins are made (e.g. Long Beach 77 T-Shirt).

http://www.lotusoriginals.com/en/

Any news on disputes over this?

Btw, if i believe those Senna's pictures are new stuff.

Edited by highdownforce, 02 November 2011 - 22:41.

#168 maplestone71

maplestone71

• 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 23:40

It's interesting that their 1965 Indy t-shirt shows what I believe to be the Type 42 - aka their 1966 Indy 500 entry ...

Still it goes nicely with the red colour of the t-shirt

#169 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:04

It's interesting that their 1965 Indy t-shirt shows what I believe to be the Type 42 - aka their 1966 Indy 500 entry ...

Still it goes nicely with the red colour of the t-shirt

Not surprising that they made a mistake on them. Since it was a Team Lotus entry and not an entry by Group Lotus themselves. So they are once again ripping off Team Lotus history for their own gain. And people saying that Tony is only using Team Lotus for his own personal gain. At least he has actually bought the rights and not tried to steal them through the courts.

#170 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:07

Where's the Vodafone thread? Or the Marlboro one? Or the Red Bull drinks one? Or the Virgin Trains one?

Edited by Disgrace, 03 November 2011 - 02:08.

#171 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:14

Where's the Vodafone thread? Or the Marlboro one? Or the Red Bull drinks one? Or the Virgin Trains one?

:up: In terms of F1 you are correct. Although Marlboro no longer sponsor Ferrari. But you can add AT&T to the list.

The racing comments part of the forum does not just cover F1, and because they do have in-house teams (not sponsorships of teams already racing) in some forms of motorsport IIRC.

#172 davemsc

davemsc

• 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:56

Although Marlboro no longer sponsor Ferrari.

Yes they do.

#173 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:07

It may be something old, but I've just realized that Lotus Cars has a line of clothes were despite selling pieces with LotusCars logo some allusions to past Team Lotus' (Chapmans' one) wins are made (e.g. Long Beach 77 T-Shirt).

http://www.lotusoriginals.com/en/

Any news on disputes over this?

Btw, if i believe those Senna's pictures are new stuff.

:lol:

Now Lotus leases Ralf Lauren Garments !

:lol:

So what is so authentic about all these ?

License is for Dany's Authenticity.

So when will the Chevy Lotus Sport engine coming up?

#174 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 14:03

Yes they do.

Marlboro is no longer the title sponsor of the team. http://formula-one.s...from-team-name/

So when will the Chevy Lotus Sport engine coming up?

Thought they were supposed to be Judd engines? Re-branded as Lotus.

#175 Fubar1979

Fubar1979

• 320 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 17:51

So next year Reanult will become Lotus, NOT Team Lotus but just Lotus, wonder how much money they will lose because of this, i mean they dont get money for being Reanult nor do they get money for Being Team Lotus... same with Team Lotus wonder how much money they lose for changing to Caterham

#176 sergeym

sergeym

• 529 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 17:56

So next year Reanult will become Lotus, NOT Team Lotus but just Lotus, wonder how much money they will lose because of this, i mean they dont get money for being Reanult nor do they get money for Being Team Lotus... same with Team Lotus wonder how much money they lose for changing to Caterham

My understanding is that, when you change team name with approval of other F1 teams and officials ( like in this case ) you can keep your TV money.

#177 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,994 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 18:52

They haven't announced what the team will be called, only that the chassis will be called Lotus instead of Renault.

I'd personally expect something like "the Lotus F1 team".

#178 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 18:55

Sawards claims that an agreement was made, but it will only be disclosed at the first week of December.
http://joesaward.wor...s-name-changes/

#179 Red17

Red17

• 3,307 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 20:14

Sawards claims that an agreement was made, but it will only be disclosed at the first week of December.

AS picked it up too. http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/95874

But I sense this is not the end (sadly). It remains to be seen who keeps BRG and if GL will indeed push an «new type 7».

It also means that Renault, as a works team has ended it's second cycle in Formula 1. It's a bit sad. They used blue yellow, black yellow but did not use the white black yellow.

Edited by Red17, 03 November 2011 - 20:15.

Advertisement

#180 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 423 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 20:27

^ Yep it's a shame that they've quietly left the sport.

As for the name change, am I right I saying that it's possible that Caterham will effectively be "operated" by Team Lotus and it's just a change of team name? (unless TF sells the TL moniker to Genii).

#181 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:23

Genii to purchase Group Lotus? I have not heard anything about that rumour in Proton Holdings, and I don't think this news is accurate.

#182 silencer

silencer

• 85 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:24

Genii to purchase Group Lotus? I have not heard anything about that rumour in Proton Holdings, and I don't think this news is accurate.

but have you ever wondering why lately PROTON seems obsessed with R3 associated in their car instead of Lotus engineering / Lotus Handling as they always do before?
maybe that's a little indication that they intend to break away from Lotus.

just my 2 cents.

#183 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:46

but have you ever wondering why lately PROTON seems obsessed with R3 associated in their car instead of Lotus engineering / Lotus Handling as they always do before?
maybe that's a little indication that they intend to break away from Lotus.

just my 2 cents.

Group Lotus is a black hole financially for Proton, and it would not surpise me if Proton eventually said "enough is enough". It is just that where it really mattered back in Shah Alam, I have not heard this rumor among the staff. It could be a very well-kept secret among the board members only, but I seriously doubt that.

Just my 0.02.

#184 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,355 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:49

They shouldn't be losing any TV revenues money due to the name change due to the name change approval from the teams, FIA, & Bernie. That was the point.

#185 Fubar1979

Fubar1979

• 320 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:50

They shouldn't be losing any TV revenues money due to the name change due to the name change approval from the teams, FIA, & Bernie. That was the point.

That I did not know, thanks for the info :)

#186 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,700 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:22

However, isn't Team Lotus paid a bit extra, because it's a name with pedigree? I don't know exactly how it's written in the Concorde agreement, but the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams get extra money because they're "classic" teams. Team Lotus don't have continuous presence, though.

#187 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:20

Weeellllllll that’s that I suppose.

If Tony is loosing sleep at night not knowing where my allegiance lies he can rest assured that I will follow this team to Caterham (much the same as Toleman, Benetton, and Renault fans will now align themselves, once again, under a different name). Also Caterham is only a couple of miles up the road!

It was great while it lasted and if I’m being honest I would have preferred it to remain Team Lotus. But F1 doesn’t have much room for sentimentality. At least Tony Fernandes was able to breathe life into the name and give it a far more dignified ending than in 1994.

This is in no way a parting shot but I am worried about the future of the team currently known as Renault. Whilst on one hand there are plans for new facilities the team has lost a lot of staff with the knowledge of how to win races and championships in F1.

Furthermore the debt Lotus cars is working under does, in my opinion, make the future less than 100% certain. Much in the same way that Ford (under Jaguar’s entry) were unable to make that venture a long-term one. However, that is their problem – not mine.

I suppose it’s rather good as well to finally stop the argument that has seen forum members align themselves (sometimes viscously) against each other.

#188 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:51

Constructive.

But the point is if the team's consensus will be implemented by Formula One commission, where every things gets formal.

#189 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,774 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 13:19

And on a different note about goverment support...
Group Lotus Secures UK Government Backing

I suspect they will need it.

Group Lotus sold 4 (yes four) cars in the UK during October 2011. They sold 61 during October 2010.

Something's not right...

#190 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 13:28

Someone is rushing a few things... http://www.fia.com/e...sification.aspx
(look at the Constructors Provisional Classification table)

Edit: :blush: FIA has corrected it now, instead of "Team Lotus" the legend read as "Team Caterham".

Edited by highdownforce, 04 November 2011 - 14:57.

#191 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 14:41

4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is worse than terrible.

#192 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 18:08

I suspect they will need it.

Group Lotus sold 4 (yes four) cars in the UK during October 2011. They sold 61 during October 2010.

Something's not right...

If they can't sell cars that they are famous for, in a market in which they are the big players, how do they expect to sell cars that they are not known for, fat and heavy, in a market where they will be small players, going up against companies that are well established and known for making this sort of car.

Someone is rushing a few things... http://www.fia.com/e...sification.aspx
(look at the Constructors Provisional Classification table)

Edit: :blush: FIA has corrected it now, instead of "Team Lotus" the legend read as "Team Caterham".

It is now back as Team Lotus.

Edited by peacockantony, 04 November 2011 - 18:09.

#193 jhmcgregor

jhmcgregor

• 80 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 19:28

It is now back as Team Lotus.

But the Team Lotus cars are still listed as Caterhams here on the FIA website

http://www.fia.com/E...son_guide1.aspx

#194 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 19:43

Also corrected to Team Lotus now.

#195 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 20:04

The FIA seems to be jumping the gun a bit. The names are locked for the next two races.

#196 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:44

This is in no way a parting shot but I am worried about the future of the team currently known as Renault. Whilst on one hand there are plans for new facilities the team has lost a lot of staff with the knowledge of how to win races and championships in F1.

How could you get involved in F1 if you were only selling 4 cars last month? :confused:

Petronas better get on board fast; otherwise, this Lotus involvement in F1 will be a short-term venture for Proton.

#197 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:51

Something's not right...

The economy by any chance?

#198 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,774 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:31

The economy by any chance?

If that were the cause then it seems a bit silly to be embarking on the strategy Bahar is choosing...

However more cars were sold in this October than last in the UK. Premium brands like Land Rover (up 63%), Maserati (up 33%), Mercedes-Benz (up 19%) all performed better than last year. Porsche were down 9% (599 units to 546) but compared to Lotus's drop 93% (61 to 4) would frankly be nothing to worry about. The results are particularly poor given how much GL are spending on marketing at the moment.

In 2011 so far Lotus have sold 281 cars in the UK - compared to 448 up until October 2011 - a 37% drop which has been accelerating through the year.

It brings into context comments made by Karl-Heinz Kalbfell recently, too.

Edited by TennisUK, 05 November 2011 - 08:38.

#199 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:22

Thanks Tennis for the figures, they really are shocking. Four UK cars in a month - thats 1 a week (taking aside exports). As for total units sold in a year that works out to less than 1 a day.

I would love to try and be positive but the next new model isnt due until 2013 in the meantime they have got to sell Evora's, Elises and Exiges (which shortly will no longer be on sale in the USA therefore knocking out an export market). Its not all Bahar's fault, whilst other manufacturers such as Porsche were bringing out new models Lotus were stopping production of the Esprit, embarking on the awful Europa and ploughing any profit from the Elise into the Evora. There was intention with the M250 (which would have taken a lot of man hours to produce and have the lovely, but fault-prone, doors) but it never saw production.

Yes Bahar has tried to make a difference, however, it is accepted by many to be in the wrong direction and might be (with this last batch of figures) too little too late.

I hope this isnt the last chapter, but with those figures I dont see much of a story ahead.

Advertisement

#200 jhmcgregor

jhmcgregor

• 80 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 13:04

Also corrected to Team Lotus now.

No, the cars of Trulli, Kovalainen and Chandhok are all still listed as Caterham