Photo

Active drivers suffering from cancer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 14:41

Dean Stoneman was diagnosed with testicular cancer this week. I hop he will get up and come back as race driver.

Gunnar Nilsson was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in the end of 1977. He signed a contract with Arrows for 1978, but then his health gone bad and he couldn't drive. He later died, unfortunately.

I heard that Ukyo Katayama also should have a tumor in the back in 1995? Is that right?

More active racing drivers with cancer, perhaps with a comeback after the illness?

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 15:07

Jason Richards currently. Hopefully both he and Stoneman will make a full recovery. I also hope Stoneman's career recovers because a year out can be difficult to recover his momentum.

Andrej Pavicevic before and has made a full recovery thankfully. Katayma did indeed have skin cancer.

There have been others but sadly most have lost their battle against cancer or illness - Loof, Burns etc.

#3 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:05

I remember a British (?) F3 driver was sponsored by Sargeant cancer charity and appeared at Monaco (I could be totally wrong!)

I recall a Porsche driver called Bill Taylor and he was diagnosed with cancer and he continue driving until he succumbed to the illness. I think there is a trophy named after him in the Porsche Club Great Britain championship.

#4 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:31

Jimmy Caruthers, of course... :(

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,063 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 21:06

I'm not at all certain about this, but I was told that an Australian was once told he had terminal cancer...

He went out and bought a very well known race car (sports sedan) and lavished a lot of attention on it, prettying it up, and went racing. Apparently the plan was to race as long as he was able, but the car was stolen after just a few meetings and that put an end to it.

But that's nothing on the Peter Hopwood story. That one belongs in the 'greatest drives' thread.

I think Jack Lacey was another, he was a Queensland Mini driver and stepped up into something larger but didn't last long after that. They've got an annual Mini race named after him.

#6 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 21:52

There have been several short oval track racers continue along while battling cancer. One I witnessed first hand was Dan Simkins. Simkins was a top dirt late model stock racer in California, running many tracks up and down the state out of his home base of Santa Maria.

After successfully fighting off one round of cancer, it came back and spread, forcing the amputation of one leg. This didn't deter Simkins, who continued on with a hand control on his steering wheel. And he was still very competitive.

I still remember seeing him at the annual Veterans Day race at Porterville, California, where he walked the dirt track, inspecting it prior to his race, all on his crutches.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 22 January 2011 - 21:53.

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 22:07

I am fairly certain that Bob Tattersal was suffering from cancer on his last trip to Australia. I believe he came out here again as medical treatment was cheaper. In part I believe treatment was organised by Kym Bonython, Rowley Pk promoter. He raced in at least 2 states that final season and was still on the pace though literally was being lifted from the car at the end of the feature. That was his last trip to Oz, he died a few months later back in the US. I dont know if he raced on his return to the states but quite possibly as he was a professional and that was his income.

#8 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 22:12

Sheldon Kinser, Ron Silvester

Edited by Peter Leversedge, 22 January 2011 - 22:15.