Photo

New Brighton races

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 18:35

Has anyone got any stories or photo's/video relating to this fairly unique (to the UK) closed roads event over on the Wirral which ceased a few years ago?

I used to read about it in MCN but never actually made it to race or even spectate there, I understand that Sheene once competed in the event during his early years, I went for a drive around the area a few years back but couldnt figure out exactly where the circuit went other than the obvious bit down the prom.

Advertisement

#2 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:55

Has anyone got any stories or photo's/video relating to this fairly unique (to the UK) closed roads event over on the Wirral which ceased a few years ago?

I used to read about it in MCN but never actually made it to race or even spectate there, I understand that Sheene once competed in the event during his early years, I went for a drive around the area a few years back but couldnt figure out exactly where the circuit went other than the obvious bit down the prom.

Hi Paul,I was a great supporter of "proper" road racing in the seventies.I would do as many Irish road races as I could afford,the MGP and the Wirral 100 clubs road races at New Brighton. The circuit was an oval but with two roundabouts halfway down the straights.You would take these the wrong way,so making an egg timer shaped track.Good brakes and acceleration were needed,and a strong sense of self preservation-keep clear of the high kerbs! The organising club were a great bunch and ran the races very well. I am afraid I dont have any photos but I am sure someone will.In Sport,Rotrax.

#3 driverider

driverider

• 179 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:02

I raced there in the seventies - modern and vintage - happy memories - remember the kerbs! - will try to find photos to post

#4 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 15:52

I raced there in the seventies - modern and vintage - happy memories - remember the kerbs! - will try to find photos to post

I raced there in the 80's I will have look to see if I have any photo's I always remember there was a bad bump halfway round the last corner right on the apex, always enjoyed riding there Steve.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 17:16

It's still in use for the annual Promenade Stages rally - see http://www.youtube.c...feature=related which may help you figure out how it was used for racing.

#6 jgr

jgr

• 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:44

Hi Paul,I was a great supporter of "proper" road racing in the seventies.I would do as many Irish road races as I could afford,the MGP and the Wirral 100 clubs road races at New Brighton. The circuit was an oval but with two roundabouts halfway down the straights.You would take these the wrong way,so making an egg timer shaped track.Good brakes and acceleration were needed,and a strong sense of self preservation-keep clear of the high kerbs! The organising club were a great bunch and ran the races very well. I am afraid I dont have any photos but I am sure someone will.In Sport,Rotrax.

No photos I'm afraid (other than my bike in bits after seizing in practice), but I think Rotrax is right on the circuit layout. If you go to google maps or similar, you will see the King's Parade (A554, along the sea shore) and Coastal Drive. As I recall, the track went down King's Parade, on the wrong side of the dual carriageway (west to east), turned right at the roundabout (going the wrong way round it as with all the other roundabouts), on to the beginning of Coastal Drive (nice corner, opening out), r-l-r chicane through the first roundabout, right at the next two roundabouts and back onto King's Parade and another r-l-r chicane half way along.

I still have the programme for the event (Sat. 21st June 1975, 15p), but no results, and there are some interesting names in the entry list, but no Bazza, I'm afraid. Alan Cathcart (496 Matchless and 747 Ducati), Les Bibby (247 Yamaha), J. Williams (on a Terry Shepherd 348 Suzuki) and a B. Fogarty from Blackburn on a 230 Ossa :confused:.

JGR

Edited by jgr, 24 January 2011 - 20:45.

#7 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:55

No photos I'm afraid (other than my bike in bits after seizing in practice), but I think Rotrax is right on the circuit layout. If you go to google maps or similar, you will see the King's Parade (A554, along the sea shore) and Coastal Drive. As I recall, the track went down King's Parade, on the wrong side of the dual carriageway (west to east), turned right at the roundabout (going the wrong way round it as with all the other roundabouts), on to the beginning of Coastal Drive (nice corner, opening out), r-l-r chicane through the first roundabout, right at the next two roundabouts and back onto King's Parade and another r-l-r chicane half way along.

I still have the programme for the event (Sat. 21st June 1975, 15p), but no results, and there are some interesting names in the entry list, but no Bazza, I'm afraid. Alan Cathcart (496 Matchless and 747 Ducati), Les Bibby (247 Yamaha), J. Williams (on a Terry Shepherd 348 Suzuki) and a B. Fogarty from Blackburn on a 230 Ossa :confused:.

JGR

I think that should have been G (for George) Fogarty.

#8 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:38

Thanks for the replies chaps, its filled in a bit of detail for me, I think Bazza rode there around 1969/70 so he was possibly on one of Frank's Bultaco's unless he had the 125 Suzuki by then.

It certainly sounds like a meeting I wish i'd done when I had the chance, I remember a mate of mine doing it on a TZ250 in the late 70's and saying he enjoyed it.

#9 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:32

...remember the kerbs!...

My two brothers did the race in around 75 or 76. One of them ran over the kerbs in practice and dished both rims on his Greeves.

#10 fazz

fazz

• 281 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 21:38

I think that should have been G (for George) Fogarty.

To be honest George had a brother who also raced in club events I cant remember if his name was Brian but it is probably correct on an Ossa as George would have been on Yamaha's then

#11 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 22:37

To be honest George had a brother who also raced in club events I cant remember if his name was Brian but it is probably correct on an Ossa as George would have been on Yamaha's then

Ahhh, I stand corrected, thanks Mark :wave:

#12 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:09

Went there once to spectate at a club meeting in the 80s and saw the funniest race I have ever seen it was a up to 250 race
and the leader pulled into the paddock to retire a lap before the end and the rest of the riders followed him apart from one
who was on a 80cc yamaha road bike and carried on and won being the only finisher

#13 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:18

Went there once to spectate at a club meeting in the 80s and saw the funniest race I have ever seen it was a up to 250 race
and the leader pulled into the paddock to retire a lap before the end and the rest of the riders followed him apart from one
who was on a 80cc yamaha road bike and carried on and won being the only finisher

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :up:

#14 driverider

driverider

• 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 16:23

There was also the time when the following vintage race was warming up in collection as the existing open (yamaha) race was being gridded. A pre war HRD got waved out and joined the back of the start line and got waved off, much hilarity every lap and he finished the race respectfully not last!!