Photo

Ferrari mechanic or crew chief in 1959?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:06

Phil Hill mentioned a crew person named "Barchetti" at Le Mans in 1959. Anyone know who that was, a full name, and what his title might have been? Thanks, TC

Advertisement

#2 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:27

Phil Hill mentioned a crew person named "Barchetti" at Le Mans in 1959. Anyone know who that was, a full name, and what his title might have been? Thanks, TC

One of Ferrari's chief mechanics at that time was Adelmo Marchetti. Quite often seen on pictures along with Ener Vecchi and others. Marchetti had blond hairs.

Other SF mechanics present in Hill's time were:
Bruno Solmi, Edgardo Selingardi, Erio Fossati, Carlo Amadessi, Edgardo Frigieri , Giuliano Luppi and Dino Pignatti.

#3 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:33

One of Ferrari's chief mechanics at that time was Adelmo Marchetti. Quite often seen on pictures along with Ener Vecchi and others. Marchetti had blond hairs.

Other SF mechanics present in Hill's time were:
Bruno Solmi, Edgardo Selingardi, Erio Fossati, Carlo Amadessi, Edgardo Frigieri , Giuliano Luppi and Dino Pignatti.

Hmnn, I wonder if I misunderstood Marchetti as Barchetti? I'll have to go back to the tape. Whoever it was was the one putting some powder or something into Hill's engine trying to cure, in vain, as it turned out, its overheating at Le Mans in '59.

Thanks, TC

#4 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:45

This picture was posted in the "Peter Collins at Monaco 1956... but who is his female companion?" -thread.
Copyright Time Life Magazine. Marchetti is seen here (partly hidden), thirde mechanic from left, looking at Peter Collins who sits at the right gesturing.

Posted Image

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:28

de Portago at the bottom of the pic?

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:54

Writing with much experience of Phil on tape he definitely meant Marchetti - Adelmo Marchetti who is third from left in above pic. Recalled most often as Povero 'Poor' Marchetti since he died early, I think due to leukaemia. Marchetti looked very different early in his Ferrari service, having an enormous nose like an eagle's beak. Jenks told me years ago - and Phil later confirmed - how Marchetti stayed on in the US after one Sebring race, and when he reappeared in Europe his mechanic mates would reintroduce him to contacts as 'Il Bello' - The Beauty - with his nose handsomely minimised and reshaped by cosmetic surgery. Phil thought the guys had had a whipround for him to help with the cost. He seems to have been a good man, very capable, respected by his workmates, trusted by the drivers.

:smoking:

DCN

#7 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:09

de Portago at the bottom of the pic?

Yep, next to Sculati, Ferrari team manager for that year (and a half).

#8 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 20:21

Writing with much experience of Phil on tape he definitely meant Marchetti - Adelmo Marchetti who is third from left in above pic. Recalled most often as Povero 'Poor' Marchetti since he died early, I think due to leukaemia. Marchetti looked very different early in his Ferrari service, having an enormous nose like an eagle's beak. Jenks told me years ago - and Phil later confirmed - how Marchetti stayed on in the US after one Sebring race, and when he reappeared in Europe his mechanic mates would reintroduce him to contacts as 'Il Bello' - The Beauty - with his nose handsomely minimised and reshaped by cosmetic surgery. Phil thought the guys had had a whipround for him to help with the cost. He seems to have been a good man, very capable, respected by his workmates, trusted by the drivers.

:smoking:

DCN

Thanks, Doug. I probably misheard what he said. TC

P.S. What's happening with the book?

#9 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:53

Thanks, Doug.

P.S. What's happening with the book?

Comment and query seconded.

Jack.