* * * * - 19 votes

Paul di Resta [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
693 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:51

Well, it looks like Paul di Resta is finally going to be announced for Force India.

So congrats to Paul and good luck to him and his new team for the coming season.

:up:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89062

* Yes, I know I'm a true blue WIlliams fan, but there is also a fair amount of Scottish blood in me as well, so I'm always interested in the careers of Scottish drivers; I always thought it a pity his cousin (Dario Franchitti) never really got a good shout at F1 as I suspect he would have made his mark too.

Advertisement

#2 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,766 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:53

Local lad comes good :clap:

#3 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:56

happy for him :D

#4 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:05

Well, the most-deserving of the rookies will be the last to be announced. Long due, especially considering the rise of Vettel, who he beat for the F3 title in 2007. All the best for him, I hope he can challenge Sutil.

#5 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:10

lol who gave the thread 1 star? Is Liuzzi reading the forums? :|

Best of luck to Paul. Always good to have a Scot to cheer for on Sundays!

Oh, and Liuzzi, if you are reading this...... :rotfl: :lol: :wave:

#6 ColchesterF1

ColchesterF1

• 210 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:16

Another Brit in F1 is always good :)

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:18

Will be very interesting to see how he performs.

Nice to see a British driver on the grid who isn't a world champion, too. :lol:

#8 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:21

Good for him, always anxious to see how rookies perform. Couldn't give less of a toss about where he's from and vaguely wondering what direction this thread would take if he was from Kazakhstan, but then again I'm Canadian, so what do I know. I think there's a decent chance he could batter Sutil towards the end of the year, assuming he doesn't have to skip a race for Chandhok. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by andrew., 24 January 2011 - 19:22.

#9 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,234 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:24

I'm predicting him as next season's best rookie. I'm happy to see him, he should do well and beat Sutil if not this year then certainly next year.

#10 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:25

Shame this means there's no near-future prospect of Paul racing at Le Mans alongside his two cousins which include a two-time IndyCar champion and Indy 500 winner... but anyway, wish him the best of luck in F1. :)

#11 fauxhemian

fauxhemian

• 639 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:37

I'm looking forward to seeing him on the grid.

I'll be particularly interested in seeing how he measures up to Sutil.

#12 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:38

lol who gave the thread 1 star? Is Liuzzi reading the forums? :|

Best of luck to Paul. Always good to have a Scot Brit to cheer for on Sundays!

Oh, and Liuzzi, if you are reading this...... :rotfl: :lol: :wave:

Fixed :up:

#13 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:41

Congratulations to Paul, he deserves an F1 shot with his junior record and his DTM title. The only thing I am concerned about is his recent lack of open-wheel racecraft experience, but at least he got to drive the VJM03 at several race weekends last year. Also, he is being hyped up quite a lot, so I hope Sutil (a quick, experienced team-mate in any sense of the word) doesn't burst his bubble.

#14 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:43

I'm predicting him as next season's best rookie. I'm happy to see him, he should do well and beat Sutil if not this year then certainly next year.

Well, given his competition in the rookie stakes comprises of Maldonado, Perez and d'Ambrosio, I'd be slightly concerned to see di Resta not fare as well as the other newbies this season!

#15 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:43

Congratulations to Paul, he deserves an F1 shot with his junior record and his DTM title. The only thing I am concerned about is his recent lack of open-wheel racecraft experience, but at least he got to drive the VJM03 at several race weekends last year. Also, he is being hyped up quite a lot, so I hope Sutil (a quick, experienced team-mate in any sense of the word) doesn't burst his bubble.

his f3 record was impressive wasnt it? :)

#16 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:47

his f3 record was impressive wasnt it? :)

I don't see the relevance of it nowadays. Surely as time marches on, the significance of Paul di Resta beating Sebastian Vettel to the F3 Euroseries crown has lessened?

#17 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:02

Congratulations to Paul, he deserves the seat and I hope he does well. Another Scot in F1! :clap:

#18 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:08

Congrats to Paul, I was rooting for him to get into F1. :)

#19 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:26

I don't see the relevance of it nowadays. Surely as time marches on, the significance of Paul di Resta beating Sebastian Vettel to the F3 Euroseries crown has lessened?

his talent hasnt tho :)

Advertisement

#20 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:32

Good luck to him!

I think he might do poorly from the comparison with Sutil, though. I think that Sutil's a great driver who's ready to shine in 2011 - I hope people recognise how well Di Resta does if he can get anywhere close to Sutil in his rookie year!

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 20:58

What are "they" gonna say if Anthony starts showing up in the pits regularly .... c'mon give some props to the guy who brought the last two Brits the grid!!

Even though PdR has talent its not "in your face" obvious like LH's talent and there's no marketing angle to work with him... this guy got to F1 through sheer grit and some really deft moves by his management. Otherwise PdR could have gone the way of Jarvis, Carroll etc but no - not did he get to F1 he got paid while he waited on the bench in DTM instead of burning millions in sponsor's cash in GP2... and he deepened his links with Merc to the point that if he performs he's probably pretty much guaranteed a seat at Merc or Macca in the medium term.

PdR's got talent ...but Anthony's got skillz!

#22 froggy22

froggy22

• 807 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:01

Fixed :up:

when hes doing well. when hes doing badly and spinning all the time, then he can be called a scot :lol:

but seriously, good luck to him. hes a good driver in any car he drives. not gonna say im his fan but i hope he does well :up:

im probably one of the few people on here who believes in Liuzzi so i cant help feling a bit disappointed for him, its either HRT or nothing now for him.

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:11

What are "they" gonna say if Anthony starts showing up in the pits regularly .... c'mon give some props to the guy who brought the last two Brits the grid!!

Even though PdR has talent its not "in your face" obvious like LH's talent and there's no marketing angle to work with him... this guy got to F1 through sheer grit and some really deft moves by his management. Otherwise PdR could have gone the way of Jarvis, Carroll etc but no - not did he get to F1 he got paid while he waited on the bench in DTM instead of burning millions in sponsor's cash in GP2... and he deepened his links with Merc to the point that if he performs he's probably pretty much guaranteed a seat at Merc or Macca in the medium term.

PdR's got talent ...but Anthony's got skillz!

I'd like to see Anthony back in F1, great pity his driver training thing seems to have fallen through. I guess if he does show up we'll see a new phenomenon of 'manager bashing' though :lol: .

But he'd be bombarded with questions about Lewis, he may not fancy that.

#24 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:12

when hes doing well. when hes doing badly and spinning all the time, then he can be called a scot :lol:

but seriously, good luck to him. hes a good driver in any car he drives. not gonna say im his fan but i hope he does well :up:

im probably one of the few people on here who believes in Liuzzi so i cant help feling a bit disappointed for him, its either HRT or nothing now for him.

I am curious about how will Paul perform, but at least he finally made it into the world of Formula One... :wave: But with pairing Sutil he will have a tough competition, as Adrian is a great driver, still underrated by many paople...

Edited by marcoferrari, 24 January 2011 - 21:13.

#25 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:35

I'd like to see Anthony back in F1, great pity his driver training thing seems to have fallen through. I guess if he does show up we'll see a new phenomenon of 'manager bashing' though :lol: .

But he'd be bombarded with questions about Lewis, he may not fancy that.

He goes to some of Pau's races. I expect this will continue... the media cant force him to talk to them. He goes to quite a few motorsport events and they tend to leave him alone these days.... I was just kidding about him being on TV. I dont think it will happen.

It would be very cool if in a few years time PdR is at the sharp end of the grid racing against LH.... Anthony didnt deserve the treatment he got at the start of last year.

#26 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 21:59

He goes to some of Pau's races. I expect this will continue... the media cant force him to talk to them. He goes to quite a few motorsport events and they tend to leave him alone these days.... I was just kidding about him being on TV. I dont think it will happen.

It would be very cool if in a few years time PdR is at the sharp end of the grid racing against LH.... Anthony didnt deserve the treatment he got at the start of last year.

I'm not sure the media would leave him alone in F1, they're not all BBC and Autosport are they, and there are some tempting angles, but Anthony isn't shy, so who knows. I'd like to see him get into running a team personally, start in F2 or something and work his way up, he'd be so at home in the Piranha Club :D .

Paul di Resta I'm waiting to see some more of. Is he a bit dour?

#27 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:09

It wasn't all that relevant then, if you followed F3. Both had great records on the year and it was tight till the end with Di Resta winning by a race and 11 points (taking nothing away from the victor who was a deserving champion). But of course, 5 years later, it is meaningless considering how both drivers will have evolved from then (not to mention it is a rather silly criteria to begin with as Di Resta is not the only driver to beat Vettel in a championship - or who has beat any F1 champion back in the days of their junior series runs)

I have to imagine Di Resta's recent accomplishments are more relevant, like his testing with Force India, McLaren and perhaps the DTM Championship, etc.

Edited by bourbon, 24 January 2011 - 22:24.

#28 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:16

Glad to see him finally get there. I alway worry slightly, when a driver, you think will make it, goes a different route. Like Paul did, going to the DTM.

Some Motorsport family that boy is from as well!

#29 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:21

Well, it looks like Paul di Resta is finally going to be announced for Force India.

So congrats to Paul and good luck to him and his new team for the coming season.

:up:

Fantastic, very happy for him and for us, the F1 fans. A decent driver in a decent seat.

#30 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:23

I'm not sure the media would leave him alone in F1, they're not all BBC and Autosport are they, and there are some tempting angles, but Anthony isn't shy, so who knows. I'd like to see him get into running a team personally, start in F2 or something and work his way up, he'd be so at home in the Piranha Club :D .

Paul di Resta I'm waiting to see some more of. Is he a bit dour?

Only a little. And he's very media trained so expect nothing particularly interesting... you know what the Merc drivers are like.

I think Anthony's found his niche, actually. Bringing on young drivers is a bit of skill. His personality is such that I dont think he could just manage a team with his personality (he not a middle manager type like Whitmarsh, Domi or the Redbull guy) he's got more of strong owner manager type personality ... and racing isnt a game for independent start ups anymore so he would need to be a manager for something like a Merc junior team ... so probably wont happen.

... hasnt he got that future superstar kid to bring on anyway... I'd think that's a pretty exciting project. That kid will be in F1 in what 6- 8 years? or maybe Less.... a percentage of that potential could be a very nice earner.

#31 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:27

It wasn't all that relevant then, if you followed F3. Both had great records on the year and it was tight till the end with Di Resta winning by a race and 11 points (taking nothing away from the victor who was a deserving champion). But of course, 5 years later, it is meaningless considering how both drivers will have evolved from then (not to mention it is a rather silly criteria to begin with as Di Resta is hardly the only driver to beat Vettel in a championship - 4 drivers beat him in F3 the year before - shall we rush them all to F1 seats? What about those who beat Alonso, Hamilton, Button or Schumi in past Jr. Series? Ummm...lots of candidates... :drunk: )

The difference was that Di Resta did that as Vettel's team-mate. I can't think of any driver who beat Alonso, Hamilton, Button or Schumacher as a team-mate with an equivalent level of experience in any junior series. And no, Frentzen arguably matching Schumacher in sportscars and beating him as part of another team in F3 doesn't count.

Once Vettel's a world champion, Paul has got to be on the F1 grid, really. It'd be a bit too ridiculous if he had never been given that chance. That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Vettel in F1, but it's certainly worth the gamble on Mercedes' part.

Edited by paranoik0, 24 January 2011 - 22:27.

#32 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 22:59

The difference was that Di Resta did that as Vettel's team-mate. I can't think of any driver who beat Alonso, Hamilton, Button or Schumacher as a team-mate with an equivalent level of experience in any junior series. And no, Frentzen arguably matching Schumacher in sportscars and beating him as part of another team in F3 doesn't count.

Once Vettel's a world champion, Paul has got to be on the F1 grid, really. It'd be a bit too ridiculous if he had never been given that chance. That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Vettel in F1, but it's certainly worth the gamble on Mercedes' part.

agree....would like to see how he holds up vs Sutil

#33 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:24

Joe Saward isn't convinced that Force India has reached a settlement with Liuzzi.

#34 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:27

Only a little. And he's very media trained so expect nothing particularly interesting... you know what the Merc drivers are like.

I think Anthony's found his niche, actually. Bringing on young drivers is a bit of skill. His personality is such that I dont think he could just manage a team with his personality (he not a middle manager type like Whitmarsh, Domi or the Redbull guy) he's got more of strong owner manager type personality ... and racing isnt a game for independent start ups anymore so he would need to be a manager for something like a Merc junior team ... so probably wont happen.

... hasnt he got that future superstar kid to bring on anyway... I'd think that's a pretty exciting project. That kid will be in F1 in what 6- 8 years? or maybe Less.... a percentage of that potential could be a very nice earner.

Well there was this rumour in Dec 2009...

"... Le Parisien is reporting today that Lewis Hamilton's dad has made enquiries about buying Renault. What is not clear at the moment is if they're still talking. But, if true, that is absolutely fascinating and could be an indication that Lewis Hamilton has ambitions of driving for a team with his own name above the shop.

It sounds rather unlikely this deal will go through in Anthony's favour, because Lopez sounds very confident and Prodrive makes massive sense, but next time a team is up for grabs (and these things are coming on the market with alarming regularity) it will be fascinating to see what moves the Hamilton camp makes."

Metro F1

I guess this was overtaken by Lewis' splitting off, even if it was true to start with, but just possibly there's a bit of an ambition there. Maybe involving di Resta now?

Bit OT I know, but not enough for its own thread really. Yet :eek:

#35 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:49

Well there was this rumour in Dec 2009...

"... Le Parisien is reporting today that Lewis Hamilton's dad has made enquiries about buying Renault. What is not clear at the moment is if they're still talking. But, if true, that is absolutely fascinating and could be an indication that Lewis Hamilton has ambitions of driving for a team with his own name above the shop.

It sounds rather unlikely this deal will go through in Anthony's favour, because Lopez sounds very confident and Prodrive makes massive sense, but next time a team is up for grabs (and these things are coming on the market with alarming regularity) it will be fascinating to see what moves the Hamilton camp makes."

Metro F1

I guess this was overtaken by Lewis' splitting off, even if it was true to start with, but just possibly there's a bit of an ambition there. Maybe involving di Resta now?

Bit OT I know, but not enough for its own thread really. Yet :eek:

Perhaps this was one of the reasons for Lewis fallout with his dad
Maybe Lewis said he wanted to stay at Macca regardless of the plans of Anthony
or Lewis thought it isn't such a great idea, to buy an F1 team and didn't want to "waste" his money therefore

Only an idea.

#36 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:58

Joe Saward isn't convinced that Force India has reached a settlement with Liuzzi.

Sounds a bit of a Liuzzi fan. He claims Liuzzi could get an injuction to stop FI from testing. In the words of Saward himself, that would be "plain stupid", for Liuzzi.

To make it simple for Saward, di Resta has impressed in whatever racing seat he has sat in, Liuzzi hasn't.

Edited by P123, 24 January 2011 - 23:59.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:02

Sounds a bit of a Liuzzi fan. He claims Liuzzi could get an injuction to stop FI from testing. In the words of Saward himself, that would be "plain stupid", for Liuzzi.

Indeed. Even if Liuzzi hasn't really had a clear opportunity in F1, by being in the Force India seat he'll most likely prevent Di Resta from getting his own fair shot. Which isn't really Liuzzi's business, but then again he doesn't have an absolute right to any sympathy.

Certainly though I think it's pretty obvious that Force India have behaved pretty badly in dragging this on until one driver or the other has no choice but to sit out 2011.

Edited by Risil, 25 January 2011 - 00:03.

#38 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:11

Actually I think Joe is ON THE MONEY.
Although Paul ( and good luck to him) will be announced, the legal obligations to Vitantonio seem GLARINGLY obvious.
Team principals, don't you just love them!!

#39 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:12

The difference was that Di Resta did that as Vettel's team-mate.

And a huge congrats to Di Resta for pulling off the tight battle between teammates and coming out the champion. But that has no bearing on how he will fare in F1 today - I don't care who he was able to beat back then. Every one of those drivers has evolved - and differently - so it is meaningless.

Bottom line is that McLaren tested Di Resta back in the day, and didn't snap him up. Force India did take him on as a test driver and perhaps Wednesday they announce he has a seat. That would be great for him and quite frankly, if they do, I would like to believe their decision is based on his current ability. I think he would prefer that too.

Edited by bourbon, 25 January 2011 - 00:18.

Advertisement

#40 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:15

I'm extremely happy to hear this news, but I've gotta admit that I'm a bit worried about the expectations placed on the kid(yes, he's still just a kid). He's the guy thats known for beating Vettel and he just won the DTM title, but F1 is always a different beast. He did well in F1 practices, but qualifying and racing is another world altogether. Liuzzi was supposed to be great, but he wasn't. I think Di Resta has great potential, but I think he's gonna get beaten by Sutil and the hype will disappear by mid-season. Its not even that I rate Sutil that much, its that I dont think Di Resta is actually *that* special. His DTM title this year was won by consistency rather than brilliance, and its gonna take some pretty good performances to prove that he's really deserving of all the hype.

I hope to be proven wrong, cuz I'm not Sutil fan or anything, but I'm afraid that he's gonna be one of the bigger disappointments of the year. Sutil is good, but not *that* good and will prove to be a proper benchmark, I think.

#41 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:18

He'll be outscored by Maldonado and Perez. You heard it here first.

#42 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:19

It'll depend on the car, obviously.

But of all the rookies, I think Perez might be the biggest surprise.

#43 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:34

I'm extremely happy to hear this news, but I've gotta admit that I'm a bit worried about the expectations placed on the kid(yes, he's still just a kid). He's the guy thats known for beating Vettel and he just won the DTM title, but F1 is always a different beast. He did well in F1 practices, but qualifying and racing is another world altogether. Liuzzi was supposed to be great, but he wasn't. I think Di Resta has great potential, but I think he's gonna get beaten by Sutil and the hype will disappear by mid-season. Its not even that I rate Sutil that much, its that I dont think Di Resta is actually *that* special. His DTM title this year was won by consistency rather than brilliance, and its gonna take some pretty good performances to prove that he's really deserving of all the hype.

I hope to be proven wrong, cuz I'm not Sutil fan or anything, but I'm afraid that he's gonna be one of the bigger disappointments of the year. Sutil is good, but not *that* good and will prove to be a proper benchmark, I think.

Junior category form is no guarantee of future success, that is true, but di Resta has more than enough on his CV to legitimately deserve at least a chance. I don't think there is hype as such, merely a lot of people glad that he is finally getting an overdue chance to prove his worth. The only unfortunate scenario I can see is that FI seem to be a team on the way down after losing some of their best people to Sauber and Lotus.

Edited by P123, 25 January 2011 - 00:36.

#44 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:36

Taking last season as a form guide and the tech people FI have lost, they should have better chassis at their disposal than di Resta, so that's not exactly an 'out there' prediction!

#45 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 00:42

I don't care who he was able to beat back then.

Clearly, you do.

McLaren tested di Resta as part of his prize for winning the BRDC Autosport Yound Driver award. They also invited him back to test again, which is rare for them to do. With Paffet and de la Rosa testers at the time there was no room for di Resta.

#46 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:19

Taking last season as a form guide and the tech people FI have lost, they should have better chassis at their disposal than di Resta, so that's not exactly an 'out there' prediction!

It is on a forum with as much national pride as this one. But I agree - I reckon at the end of the year, di Resta will have had the least to work with of the three, though I guess nothing compared to d'Ambrosio.

#47 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:12

F3 EUROSERIES 2006

Nice video.

#48 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:04

Well, I for one don't rate di Resta at all. Let's see what happens.

#49 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:33

McLaren tested di Resta as part of his prize for winning the BRDC Autosport Yound Driver award. They also invited him back to test again, which is rare for them to do. With Paffet and de la Rosa testers at the time there was no room for di Resta.

Yep, and McLaren don't take on rookies, they let them serve their apprenticeship in junior teams. The fact they didn't take him on after testing him doesn't mean they weren't impressed, by any means.

Though I am thinking he'll need quite a while to get up to any consistent speed, like Hulkenberg.

#50 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:45

Clearly, you do.

Did they? Or are you thinking of Oliver Turvey?