Photo

Jimmy Clark biography

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rawkusracing

Rawkusracing

• 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 15:04

Im writing a bio on Jim clark to keep my blog ticking over through the winter and I humbly submit it for the attention and scrutiny of the autosport forum. Please use the comment box to leave feedback or tell me where I went wrong. Visit My Website

Edited by Rawkusracing, 26 January 2011 - 15:41.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 15:34

I haven't read it all - white type on a black background is a bit of a strain for my aged eyes - but in Part 3 the photo captioned as Pau is most certainly not the circuit Jim Clark won on in 1961.

#3 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 16:18

I haven't read it all - white type on a black background is a bit of a strain for my aged eyes - but in Part 3 the photo captioned as Pau is most certainly not the circuit Jim Clark won on in 1961.

It's this one http://theracingline...e/PauArnos.html

as opposed to this(?) http://theracingline...France/Pau.html

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 17:26

Aha! Thanks, Geoff.

#5 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 17:32

I stopped at James Clark Jr. He wasn't an American.

#6 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 17:56

Nice effort, Rawkusracing. Jim has a special place in Scottish motor racing history and is still very much missed. You might not be aware of a rather fine bio programme about him which was screened here on BBC, called "Jim Clark, the Quiet Champion". You can take a look at it online here.

Don't know if there are plans to screen this Stateside but you might glean some good material from this bio for the blog.

Hope this is helpful,

Marticelli

#7 Rawkusracing

Rawkusracing

• 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:02

Really!?

If he was named in honour of his father then it seems logical to refer to him as James Clark Jr, and seeing as I don't know the names of either of his grandfathers it is impossible to tell weather he his James Clark II, III, or even IIII etc. I'm sure you would have many more constructive criticisms to make if you gave it a go. I'm not American by the way I was born in Wales and I live in Cornwall.

#8 Rawkusracing

Rawkusracing

• 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:07

It's this one http://theracingline...e/PauArnos.html

as opposed to this(?) http://theracingline...France/Pau.html

Thanks Guys I'll get it changed, I had no idea the circuit had changed so much or if it even the same circuit.

#9 Rawkusracing

Rawkusracing

• 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:10

Nice effort, Rawkusracing. Jim has a special place in Scottish motor racing history and is still very much missed. You might not be aware of a rather fine bio programme about him which was screened here on BBC, called "Jim Clark, the Quiet Champion". You can take a look at it online here.

Don't know if there are plans to screen this Stateside but you might glean some good material from this bio for the blog.

Hope this is helpful,

Marticelli

Cheers, long way to go yet but thanks for the link.

#10 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:34

Thanks Guys I'll get it changed, I had no idea the circuit had changed so much or if it even the same circuit.

They are, in fact, entirely different venues. The more famous one is the street circuit around Pau (which has changed a bit in recent times with an extra dog-leg used) - that's the circuit well-known for the various incarnations of F1 race, many F2 and F3000 series races and much else. The other one, amid the rolling greenery, is "Pau-Arnos" to he north-west of the city. A really nice circuit - a little bit like Cadwell Park in character, but not blessed with the glamorous history and memories of the street circuit.

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:50

I have seen an item he signed (admittedly tongue in cheek) "James Clark Jr"

#12 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 16:31

Really!?

If he was named in honour of his father then it seems logical to refer to him as James Clark Jr, and seeing as I don't know the names of either of his grandfathers it is impossible to tell weather he his James Clark II, III, or even IIII etc. I'm sure you would have many more constructive criticisms to make if you gave it a go. I'm not American by the way I was born in Wales and I live in Cornwall.

I wrote late at night in a misguided attempt to make a joke. I apologise unreservedly.

Edited by RogerFrench, 27 January 2011 - 16:31.

#13 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 16:49

Roger, Jim Clark always signed his entry forms for events " James Clark Jnr" it was not an Americanism.

#14 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 18:34

My brother is named after his father, I've got two uncles named after their fathers, and at least three cousins named after their fathers; all Scottish, of farming stock, and not a single one would ever put "Jr." after their name. Mind you, none of them ever went to Clifton Hall or Loretto!

I would have thought that, in traditional Scottish style, Jim would have been named for his paternal grandfather, but perhaps he was James as well?

#15 Rawkusracing

Rawkusracing

• 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 13:48

Im writing a bio on Jim clark to keep my blog ticking over through the winter and I humbly submit it for the attention and scrutiny of the autosport forum. Please use the comment box to leave feedback or tell me where I went wrong. Visit My Website

Part six is up if anyone's keen. Indy and early '63