Photo

Colotti T37 transaxle - what was required to fit to Chevy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:51

A few cars I have seen ran the Colotti T-37 with a small block Chevy. I assumed that all the T-37 transaxles have integrated bell housings that fit the 5 bolt 289 Ford. What would have been done to run this transaxle with the Chevy small block?

Thanks, Chuck

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:28

The Ford bellhousing pattern is quite large, maybe they could get away with an adaptor plate?

Have you got photos?

#3 Garsted

Garsted

• 183 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 20:39

Page 52 of the Chaparral book by Messrs Falconer & Nye shows a picture of a type 37A Colotti transmission on Jim Hall's small block Chevy engined car. Its not completely clear, but it looks like there is an aluminium sandwich plate perhaps 20mm thick between the two.

Steve

#4 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:08

Page 52 of the Chaparral book by Messrs Falconer & Nye shows a picture of a type 37A Colotti transmission on Jim Hall's small block Chevy engined car. Its not completely clear, but it looks like there is an aluminium sandwich plate perhaps 20mm thick between the two.

Steve

Ahha! Good call Steve. I never would have thought to look at a Chaparral. I don't have the Falconer & Nye one yet, but in the Friedman book page 65 there is a great picture of the adapter plate on an engine with a Colotti sitting next to it. It is quite thick, as you say almost an inch.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Chuck

#5 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:19

It is likely that a new input ("first motion") shaft would be required too, to take into account the extra distance from the clutch due to the adapter plate, plus possibly a different clutch spline.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:46

I guess I was right...

Nice to know it happens from time to time.

#7 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 21:17

Posted Image
Colotti T-37 to Chevy
Chuck: This is an application that Jerry Eisert used in his 1965 Harrison Special #96 Indy car.

This photo shows a 1/2 inch aluminum plate between the gearbox and the block. This was used on a 255 cu in chevy

photo: Bill Wiswedel collection