Please help identify this car from Silverstone 1981

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 13:45

Hello Everyone,

I would much appreciate if anyone could help identify the original driver or owners of this Formula Ford Royale Rp29 please :) Or any history on it!
The (supposedly) known history of it is that it was last raced at Silverstone in either August or September 1981 and has since been in storage, although someone once had a go at restoring it as can be seen.
It is believed to be in original distinct colours of green and gold and showing the number 23.

Before restoring to its former glory i would love to know who raced it originally as i believe there were only around 30 Rp29's built??

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in anticipation :)

Oliver

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 14:48

I assume there is no chassis plate on the car or any other numbers stamped onto the frame?

:wave:

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 14:58

Try sending an email to Alan Cornock who ran Royale at the time. He's details are on this web page http://www.racingcar...meset-about.htm

#4 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 17:34

I assume there is no chassis plate on the car or any other numbers stamped onto the frame?

:wave:

Thankyou for your reply, it does not have a chassis plate and i cannot see any numbers on the frame as of yet... Is there a particular place where i might find them do you know?

#5 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 17:40

Try sending an email to Alan Cornock who ran Royale at the time. He's details are on this web page http://www.racingcar...meset-about.htm

I have spoken to Mr Cornock but he could not remember the car.. He said there were many Rp29s with chassis plates so maybe that might help by way of elimination with there being only 30ish built

I was hoping maybe someone was at a meeting and had a programme or if i was really lucky, a photo :)

Thankyou for the info/link :D

Edited by Alpine a442, 28 January 2011 - 17:45.

#6 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 19:43

IIRC the RP29 was an 81 car so it only raced for one season.

I saw a lot of Formula Ford races that season but I don't remember that paint job. I've some 81 programmes here so will see what I can find.

#7 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:54

IIRC the RP29 was an 81 car so it only raced for one season.

I saw a lot of Formula Ford races that season but I don't remember that paint job. I've some 81 programmes here so will see what I can find.

That would be most helpful, i suppose it is a pretty memorable colour scheme! Thankyou :D

#8 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:54

I've not got any Silverstone programmes but the Formula Ford Festival on Nov 1st has 16 RP29's entered. More than half of the production run.

#9 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 00:31

I'm pretty sure that Andy Wallace ran an RP29 in green and gold?

#10 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 00:52

This one?

-snip-

Posted Image

Malice, a Ford thought: proper racing, proper people. John Village (Royale RP29) leads Keith Watson (RP26) and Andy Wallace (RP29). I think the Van Diemen RF81 interloper is Dougie Spencer, but somebody might know better.

-snap-

http://forums.autosp...99466-2400.html

Lutz

#11 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 19:40

This one?

-snip-

Posted Image

Malice, a Ford thought: proper racing, proper people. John Village (Royale RP29) leads Keith Watson (RP26) and Andy Wallace (RP29). I think the Van Diemen RF81 interloper is Dougie Spencer, but somebody might know better.

-snap-

http://forums.autosp...99466-2400.html

Lutz

Fantastic Photo! In the proper spirit of Formula Ford.. Many Thanks.

The Andy Wallace livery looks slightly different green and gold pattern to the car that i have, having said that could have easily been changed during the season as i'm sure there were a few offs!

I am wondering if Paul Gerrish ran one in this colour scheme because according to the Royale book he purchased Chassis no 23, another option is David Llewellyn who i have seen in a programme ran no 23 but have no photographic proof.

#12 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 19:42

To have the Wallace car would be a dream come true!.. As i'm pretty sure its not the Morris car!

I believe Bob Juggins ran one in the day and he is also still racing?

#13 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 20:11

The 81 festival, which is possibly after the cars last race has:

32 Paul Gerrish

157 Andy Wallace

I don't remember the Wallace car being that sort of green and gold.

The Rick Morris RP29 was black and red.

Edited by alansart, 01 February 2011 - 20:12.

#14 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 23:09

The 81 festival, which is possibly after the cars last race has:

32 Paul Gerrish

157 Andy Wallace

I don't remember the Wallace car being that sort of green and gold.

The Rick Morris RP29 was black and red.

Thankyou Alan, that is interesting as i think it eliminates Gerrish because the car apparantly had the scrutineering ticket still in it from august or september 1981 as you say before the festival.. the previous owner could not find the ticket though so could be a goose chase.

It is looking like a process of elimination might be the likeliest route to success failing getting hold of photographic or raceday programme evidence.

According to the only registry i can find there are only 4 Rp29 chassis numbers currently listed

http://royaleracingl...om/registry.htm

Edited by Alpine a442, 03 February 2011 - 17:27.

#15 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 17:27

Does anyone know where i might be able to find some raceday programmes from 1981 please?! Ebay can only offer the F1 and TT meetings! :rolleyes:

#16 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 18:04

This the same car?

Taken at Thruxton in the early 80's. seeing as I only normally went to the f2 race and the end of year F3 crash fests I would guess it was then.

I have the negs so should be able to pin point it and most of the programs as well.

http://rupert8766.fo.../p26545914.html

#17 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 18:07

This the same car?

Taken at Thruxton in the early 80's. seeing as I only normally went to the f2 race and the end of year F3 crash fests I would guess it was then.

I have the negs so should be able to pin point it and most of the programs as well.

A result. :)

It's interesting that it's already been converted to a front radiator and a "Bitza" nosecone.

#18 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 20:53

This the same car?

BINGO!!!! Thats the one :D Absolutely brilliant!

We have a half repaired original style nosecone with the car, but not that bodged one which would indicate that the car has not been used since the early eighties.

Thankyou very much for finding this, i look forward to some potential programme information and if you could pinpoint the car that would be fantastic :D

#19 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 20:58

A result. :)

It's interesting that it's already been converted to a front radiator and a "Bitza" nosecone.

Haha yes cant imagine modern FF's running such a bodge these days.. Its more like the shoestring clubbie sort of thing i'm used to!

Advertisement

#20 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:11

Hi,

Pretty certain the picture was taken on 23rd oct 1983, the same meeting as the F3 race Senna and Brundle decided the title at.

I have the program I am sure but will need to brave spiders in the loft to be certain and name the driver.

#21 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:53

Interesting. There weren't many RP29s around in 81, never mind 83, I guess it would be a novice towards the back of the field!

#22 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 15:30

Hi,

Pretty certain the picture was taken on 23rd oct 1983, the same meeting as the F3 race Senna and Brundle decided the title at.

I have the program I am sure but will need to brave spiders in the loft to be certain and name the driver.

That is quite a big meeting for it to be at then, i'm excited!

Haha i would very much appreciate you making an Indiana Jones style raid of the loft when you get a chance!

#23 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 15:41

Interesting. There weren't many RP29s around in 81, never mind 83, I guess it would be a novice towards the back of the field!

I agree, the nose doesnt look like a winner either! Any name will be a massive help in determining the history of the car though :)

#24 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 16:31

I agree, the nose doesnt look like a winner either! Any name will be a massive help in determining the history of the car though :)

The BARC at Thruxton has a full archive of programmes for its own events, including 83 of course [so you could trace some of the history of this one back from its appearance on 23 Oct 1983.]
If you contact Trevor Swettenham, the press officer of BARC, you can arrange a day to look at them.

If it's got the same driver in 83 as in 81 [or 82] I'll be surprised - if it hasn't you then need to read the small print in every Autosport and Motoring News between 81 and 83 in the hope that there's a mention of the 83 owner getting it from someone...

Good luck!!

Chris

#25 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 17:52

The driver of No 23 Royale at Thruxton 1983 was M K Crockett, according to the program he lived in Bath.

He started 6th on the grid, not to shabby for a round of the BP superfind Junior race. He started well and made up a place on lap 2 and stayed in 5th until lap 6 when he must have had a spin as he seems to have dropped down to 7th on lap 8 before falling to 10th on lap 9. I dont know if he finished.

The reason for his drop off during the race may as a result of damage. Does the front suspension look damaged on my photo?

#26 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:29

The driver of No 23 Royale at Thruxton 1983 was M K Crockett, according to the program he lived in Bath.

He started 6th on the grid, not to shabby for a round of the BP superfind Junior race. He started well and made up a place on lap 2 and stayed in 5th until lap 6 when he must have had a spin as he seems to have dropped down to 7th on lap 8 before falling to 10th on lap 9. I dont know if he finished.

The reason for his drop off during the race may as a result of damage. Does the front suspension look damaged on my photo?

Absolutely Fantastic! Thankyou very much for taking the time to find the driver, sounds like a good performance for a then 2 year old car at a big meeting!

It's hard to tell if there is any damage in the photo, although the front anti roll bar doesnt look quite right to me... it looks like it's possibly angled down across the front of the car where it should be horizontal??

Its great to have information on the car back this far, now i will try to find out about Mr Crockett and as Mr Townsend suggests get looking through all the old Autosports and Motoring News from 81 -83 for a link :D

Maybe Alan Cornock will remember the driver or chain of sale. I shall keep the thread updated :clap:

#27 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:38

The BARC at Thruxton has a full archive of programmes for its own events, including 83 of course [so you could trace some of the history of this one back from its appearance on 23 Oct 1983.]
If you contact Trevor Swettenham, the press officer of BARC, you can arrange a day to look at them.

If it's got the same driver in 83 as in 81 [or 82] I'll be surprised - if it hasn't you then need to read the small print in every Autosport and Motoring News between 81 and 83 in the hope that there's a mention of the 83 owner getting it from someone...

Good luck!!

Chris

Thankyou for the info Chris, i shall get in touch and have a look through earlier programmes. If not the same driver there might be details of who entered the car... ive been lucky so far! :)

I do have access to some Autosports from that era, time for me to brave the loft spiders!

#28 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:52

Thankyou for the info Chris, i shall get in touch and have a look through earlier programmes. If not the same driver there might be details of who entered the car... ive been lucky so far! :)

I do have access to some Autosports from that era, time for me to brave the loft spiders!

If I was doing a professional history search on this car, I would do the following, in roughly this order, because the only thing you have is Crockett's name and home town:
1: Trace his use of the car back as possible in 1983 from programmes and race results - my hunch would be he concentrated on the BARC Superfind but you might also find him in 1983 BRSCC Star of Tomorrow
2: Pay special attention to the news items on club racing in Motoring News and Autosport at and immediately before the point at which he first starts appearing - that's where you are most likely to find any mention of him getting the car
3: You know he was from Bath. Do a search of the sports pages in local papers as you do with Autosport/MN [any local Gloucester/Bath papers will be on microfiche in National Newspaper Library at Colindale, they also have complete MN and Autosport]
4: Do a search of 1982 and 83 FF programmes - especially from Thruxton/Castle Combe - to see if there are RP29s regularly appearing there which "disappear" to a new owner in 1983. Chances are with a second or third hand car it doesn't move that far when its sold.
5: I'm guessing that's not the original paint job. Rub it down carefully to the gel coat, noting the sequence of paint layers. This will first of all tell you what it roughly looked like in 1982, and at least eliminate some of the possible contenders for the car's identity.

Crockett isn't that common a name, but people in Britain move around, so I wouldn't at this stage waste time trying to trace Crockett. That would come if you can't narrow the field through the strategies outlined above

Keep us posted, I am fascinated by this search.
Chris

#29 Rapid Rupert

Rapid Rupert

• 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 14:23

There was a Maurice Crockett that competed in the 1983 Castle Combe Formula Ford 1600 series. In view of the fact that the series pulled in drivers from the locality including Bath, dare I be bold and say this is the same M K Crockett? Not sure if he did the whole season though.

Perhaps, there's someone out there with the results?

Another source of investigation could be the Castle Combe archives perhaps?

Good luck in your search Alpine

Edited by Rapid Rupert, 06 February 2011 - 14:51.

#30 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 16:26

There was a Maurice Crockett that competed in the 1983 Castle Combe Formula Ford 1600 series. In view of the fact that the series pulled in drivers from the locality including Bath, dare I be bold and say this is the same M K Crockett? Not sure if he did the whole season though.

Perhaps, there's someone out there with the results?

Another source of investigation could be the Castle Combe archives perhaps?

Good luck in your search Alpine

Have just found a Maurice Crockett in Bath who looks like a possible [breaking my own research rules...] and dropped him an email

Chris

#31 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 20:12

Have just found a Maurice Crockett in Bath who looks like a possible [breaking my own research rules...] and dropped him an email

Chris

Excellent!! Many thanks Nordic, Rupert and Chris for your brilliant help.. :clap:

Thanks to you wonderful people i have spoken to Maurice Crocket today after some googling (maybe i am being a bit too forward and impatient :S) and he confirmed he was indeed the owner of the green/gold Rp29! He is away at the moment so only spoke briefly but he said he will pick his and his family/friends brains about the car and its history and i shall call him back in a week or so!

I really wasnt expecting this excellent response so rapidly and i am also shocked at how far back in time we have gone in that the car is 30 years old!!!

I hope Maurice will be able to recall some of the cars results and tweaks and if possible who he purchased it from. The gel coat underneath the green/gold appears purple so this may be a clue to its original owner?!...

Edited by Alpine a442, 06 February 2011 - 20:14.

#32 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:51

Excellent!! Many thanks Nordic, Rupert and Chris for your brilliant help.. :clap:

Thanks to you wonderful people i have spoken to Maurice Crocket today after some googling (maybe i am being a bit too forward and impatient :S) and he confirmed he was indeed the owner of the green/gold Rp29! He is away at the moment so only spoke briefly but he said he will pick his and his family/friends brains about the car and its history and i shall call him back in a week or so!

I really wasnt expecting this excellent response so rapidly and i am also shocked at how far back in time we have gone in that the car is 30 years old!!!

I hope Maurice will be able to recall some of the cars results and tweaks and if possible who he purchased it from. The gel coat underneath the green/gold appears purple so this may be a clue to its original owner?!...

Just out of curiosity did you get any further back with the history of the car?

#33 Alpine a442

Alpine a442

• 30 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:51

Just out of curiosity did you get any further back with the history of the car?

I am awaiting a return call, hopefully this week... Will post up any information as soon as i receive

I have had another look at the bodywork top section though and it appears the first coat was purple!

#34 MrBrakelate

MrBrakelate

• 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 23:54

I am awaiting a return call, hopefully this week... Will post up any information as soon as i receive

I have had another look at the bodywork top section though and it appears the first coat was purple!

Hi

I came across your thread when I was searching for some info for myself. Not sure if I can be much help as most of what I know has already been said. I own an RP 29. Chassis No 1, which was raced by Rick Morris.

I have a program for June 1981 (RAC Round at Silverstone) and there were 7 RP29's entered. No number 23 unfortunately. Although race numbers did change.

No 3 Rick Morris
No 9 Andy Wallace
No 19 David Wheeler
No 28 Fernando Macedo
No 29 John Village
No 43 Carlos Arguelles
No 45 Peter Argetsinger

Total production was 33.

Unfortunately, I haven't worked out how to attached a couple of images, but if anyone can assist.

All the best with the re-build. While the RP29's were not the best Royale produced they were reasonably competitive in their day.