Photo

For New Zealand riders again

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 desbarry32

desbarry32

• 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 17:36

I do not have many photos! John Wood was in the lead until he had a machine problem.

Advertisement

#2 desbarry32

desbarry32

• 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 17:38

I do not have many photos! John Wood was in the lead until he had a machine problem.

With photoPosted Image

#3 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 20:16

Pukekhoe?

#4 desbarry32

desbarry32

• 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 21:00

Pukekhoe?

Yes

#5 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 21:19

Is that John Wood on 18 ? Dave Ogden 14, can't recall who used to run #62, maybe Alec McLeod or Dean Beatson...certainly Champion Curve at Pukekohe though : the foam barriers look more inviting than the 44 gall drums that border the track there.

#6 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 21:55

I don't know if it's the camera effect but the track looks bloody narrow on that bend!

#7 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:41

Hi Mick,

No, on the contrary, its quite wide and bloody fast.

You can see the width a bit better from this corner entry pic of me from last years classic festival.
Its pretty bumpy though, and my TZ handles it a lot better than JC's Benelli!

Posted Image

#8 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:18

Hi Mick,

No, on the contrary, its quite wide and bloody fast.

You can see the width a bit better from this corner entry pic of me from last years classic festival.
Its pretty bumpy though, and my TZ handles it a lot better than JC's Benelli!

Posted Image

:wave: Thanks Nigel, your pic shows the bend a lot clearer :up:

#9 desbarry32

desbarry32

• 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 14:26

Is that John Wood on 18 ? Dave Ogden 14, can't recall who used to run #62, maybe Alec McLeod or Dean Beatson...certainly Champion Curve at Pukekohe though : the foam barriers look more inviting than the 44 gall drums that border the track there.

If my memory serves me 62 was Brent Zillwood who raced a 250 that season.

#10 skeeternz

skeeternz

• 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:46

I attach a couple of photos from a trip in '79 organised by John Woodley and family. The idea was to save ferry travel costs by pushing bikes onto the ferry, then loading all the bikes onto the back of a flat deck truck to travel to Ruapuna in Christchurch. I think this was the last round of the championship. The riders and support crew traveled by bus. It was popular and successful. Just think what would have happened if the truck crashed over a bank - most of the genuine pukka race bikes in NZ would have gone with it and it would have set racing back years! I was in support crew for Brent Zillwood who finished 3rd in the champs that year I think.

Posted Image

Pic 1. No 1 is the late Roger Freeth's TZ750 - NZ champ. The Z1R in front of Rogers TZ was Steve Reays from HB. That's Des sitting on the red TZ (with the mo), Brent Zillwood, Dallas Rankin on a Harris Kawasaki, Rod Harris, not sure of others.

Posted Image

Pic 2 - with Des in the white jumper. Brent Zillwood to the left of him.

In those days of course you only needed a tool box and a few spares, not loads of tyres, tyre warmers and laptops and all that stuff that you see in the pits now! Tyres lasted most of the season, now you need a set per race!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by skeeternz, 09 February 2011 - 08:53.

#11 desbarry32

desbarry32

• 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 20:46

I attach a couple of photos from a trip in '79 organised by John Woodley and family. The idea was to save ferry travel costs by pushing bikes onto the ferry, then loading all the bikes onto the back of a flat deck truck to travel to Ruapuna in Christchurch. I think this was the last round of the championship. The riders and support crew traveled by bus. It was popular and successful. Just think what would have happened if the truck crashed over a bank - most of the genuine pukka race bikes in NZ would have gone with it and it would have set racing back years! I was in support crew for Brent Zillwood who finished 3rd in the champs that year I think.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I must be in a parallel universe. I know this was the 1978/79 season although have no recollection of standing on the bed of a truck with racing bikes except your photo's to prove it!

What a hoot!
Cheers
Des

#12 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 23:06

Suspected it was and had it confirmed. That's Rod Price and not Rod Harris. His RD400 never looked this good again "First race and trashed it"

Edited by peterd, 10 February 2011 - 10:58.

#13 skeeternz

skeeternz

• 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:41

Suspected it was and had it confirmed. That's Rod Price and not Rod Harris. His RD400 never looked this good again "First race and thrashed it"

You are right - I thought it was Rod someone. I have a note on the back of the photo that Norm McDonald is on the left (TZ750) so that may be him. Brent came 2nd and John Wood won the 250 Champs.

The truck was put on because this last round was at Easter and as usual the broke North Islanders couldn't afford to go down so the truck was organised to save money for everyone and boost numbers. I think we may have stayed at the CHCH showgrounds (?)

I was at a Donnington meeting in the UK (81?) when Des fell off and knocked himself out and was criticized in the press for having a very old helmet! I think the money went to make the bike faster.

I have some other old NZ photos somewhere if you are interested eg Robert Holden and Arron Slight in the early years.

Edited by skeeternz, 10 February 2011 - 04:42.

#14 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:29

Yeah, drag 'em up mate, we'll have a giggle with you at those "med prucks".... :lol:

#15 rp17

rp17

• 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:23

My first ride on a RD400, thought it was the neatest thing until it bit, Norm McDonald rode ther late Stu Burdetts RD400, I also see Brian Brookes, another good RD punter. Back when life was simple....