Photo

Clemente Biondetti relationships with Jaguar & Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:16

I have begun researching Clemente Biondetti and have read variously that he fell out with both Jaguar and with Ferrari. Could someone please let me know if this is true and, if so, then why?

I have what I believe to be the only book written about him specifically, which is in Italian ("Un Uomo, Un Pilota" by Mario Balsi and Allessandro Bruni) which begins with the following quote from Enzo Ferrari (translated for me by an Italian-fluent friend): "The secret of Biondetti? After each victory he retires to a corner like a Franciscan monk, because he hates to be praised in public. He is, in short, the most modest ace in the world". After such a warm comment, it would be sad to know that the two did indeed suffer a falling out.

Many thanks to any of you who may be able to throw any light on this for me.

Advertisement

#2 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:20

I have begun researching Clemente Biondetti and have read variously that he fell out with both Jaguar and with Ferrari. Could someone please let me know if this is true and, if so, then why?

I have what I believe to be the only book written about him specifically, which is in Italian ("Un Uomo, Un Pilota" by Mario Balsi and Allessandro Bruni) which begins with the following quote from Enzo Ferrari (translated for me by an Italian-fluent friend): "The secret of Biondetti? After each victory he retires to a corner like a Franciscan monk, because he hates to be praised in public. He is, in short, the most modest ace in the world". After such a warm comment, it would be sad to know that the two did indeed suffer a falling out.

Apologies - the book was co-authored by Mario Baldi (not Balsi).

#3 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 16:43

I am not at all an expert on these matters but I understood that Biondetti once raced a Jaguar XK120 and liked it so much that he suggested fitting a Jaguar engine in a Ferrari chassis. This did not go down too well with the Commendatore!
My brother in law, Roland Urban, found a Ferrari 155 body which he thought had been fitted with a Jaguar engine (this was in the 1980's) and as my father corresponded from time to time with Ferrari I got him to write to the Commendatore to ask if he remembered such a car.
We got a letter back, actually written by Franco Gozzi, saying that Ferrari himself could not reply as he was unwell and preoccupied because his wife had recently died. But that he remembered absolutely nothing of such a car!
Over to the experts!
All the best
Marcus Mussa

#4 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:27

I dont recall reading of Biondettii having problems with Jaguar, but I can well imagine that like most Italian drivers of his generation he would have had problems with Enzo Ferrari!. I believe that Biondetti felt undervalued by Ferrari and so approached Jaguar about driving one of the new XK120's in the 1950 Targa Florio and Mille Miglia. Jaguar, who were anxious to publicise their car naturally jumped at this opportunity. After all, who better to have driving for you in rugged Italian road races than Clemente Biondetti?. Jaguar duly had a Works prepared XK120 delivered to Biondetti's workshop in Florence by a mechanic who then accompanied Biondetti to the Targa in which the car retired with engine problems while lying second to Ascari's Ferrari. Biondetti then had the car prepared for the Mille Miglia in which he finished a very creditable 8th overall. The XK was later badly damaged in the Giro dell'Umbria and Biondetti had the engine installed in a Ferrari chassis with which he enjoyed some success during 1950 and 1951 mostly in Italian hill climbs. This was the car which appeared at Monza for the 1950 Italian Grand Prix. The Tuscan seemed to enjoy a good relationship with Jaguar and is reported to have been responsible for the sale of a number of XK120's in Italy. He also drove for the Company at Le Mans in 1951 where he shared an XK120C with Leslie Johnson. A reported offer of a drive for Mercedes Benz in the 1952 Mille Miglia apparently led to Enzo Ferrari welcoming Biondetti back into the fold for the race with one of his Works cars!.

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 02 February 2011 - 10:33.

#5 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:31

I am not at all an expert on these matters but I understood that Biondetti once raced a Jaguar XK120 and liked it so much that he suggested fitting a Jaguar engine in a Ferrari chassis. This did not go down too well with the Commendatore!
My brother in law, Roland Urban, found a Ferrari 155 body which he thought had been fitted with a Jaguar engine (this was in the 1980's) and as my father corresponded from time to time with Ferrari I got him to write to the Commendatore to ask if he remembered such a car.
We got a letter back, actually written by Franco Gozzi, saying that Ferrari himself could not reply as he was unwell and preoccupied because his wife had recently died. But that he remembered absolutely nothing of such a car!
Over to the experts!
All the best
Marcus Mussa

Thank you for that.

Biondetti did put the rebuilt engine from the XK120 which Jaguar had lent him for the 1950 Mille Miglia, and which had suffered a failed conrod on that occasion, into what is believed to have been a Ferrari 166 chassis for the 1950 Italian Grand Prix at Monza. Perhaps this did cause a rift with Ferrari?

He then used that engine again in the Jaguar special which he constructed after Jaguar had been unable to supply him with a C-Type following the 1951 Le Mans. At that time it would appear that his relationship with Jaguar was okay - unless I have read this wrong. Again, if anyone knows what happened, I will be most grateful to find out.

One of the many things which fascinates me about Biondetti, was his considerable faith and enterprise in building and competing in these specials, when he was already well into his 50s and after he had been diagnosed with the cancer which would sadly take his life in 1955.

Thanks again.

Christopher Wigdor

#6 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:54

Jaguar Ferrari Biondetti Special

At least there is an exhaustive article on that car, by fellow-TNF'er Marc Sonnery in Ferrari Market Letter Vol 25 number 1(15 Jan 2000).

Best regards Michael

#7 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 22:46

If you want to know what Ferrari thought, one can also turn to the books as written by Enzo himself. Of course one has to be cautious when reading these books.

In "Piloti che gente" EF gives comment on many a driver and sums up an even larger group. On his superstars he has most to say. But on Biondetti he recalls:

"Clemente Biondetti was the only racer who ever won the Thousand Miles four times: in 1938 and 1947 with Alfa Romeo, and in 1948 and 1949 with Ferrari. His teammates were respectively Stevani, Romano, Navone and Salame. His stubborness and persistence characteristic of the old Viareggio stock emerged on road races more than on the track. He died in a hospital ward of an incurable disease."

A photo of the 166 MM Allemano captions: "May 2, 1948. Thousand Mile: Biondetti-Navone's Ferrari 2000 on its way to the finish, which they reached one hour ahead of their closest pursuers."

In "My terrible joys" he is short. He mentions Biondetti when summing up a generation racers: "Cortese, G. Villoresi, Taruffi, Wimille, Behra, Bracco, Bonetto, Maglioli and Clemente Biondetti, who was the only man ever to win the Mille Miglia four times."

No doubt Ferrari had not forgotten Biondetti and had praise for him. Of course when PCG was issued EF had somewhat mellowed and reached the great Quaranta Anni party. So not a book with harsh words, maybe a critical note. Not for Biondetti. He must have be fond of the two great (classic) wins of Biondetti for his brand, whom used also in his publicity for selling road cars in those days.

#8 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:06

Interesting thoughts at FerrariChat on the Biondetti Special: some even state the Biondetti Special originally did not have any Ferrari part, let alone a chassis. So possibly here no reason for a fall out with Ferrari, if there even was one.

http://www.ferrarich...light=biondetti

#9 mcwidow70

mcwidow70

• 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:43

Interesting thoughts at FerrariChat on the Biondetti Special: some even state the Biondetti Special originally did not have any Ferrari part, let alone a chassis. So possibly here no reason for a fall out with Ferrari, if there even was one.

According my information the only Ferrari part involved on the Biondetti Special project was the body (not the entire chassis) of the 166sc 002C : the last occurance of 002C with the SC body was with Luigi de Filippis at Roma on 11 June 1950, and first appearance of the Biondetti Special at Monza on 3 Sep 1950. Probably the new car was created at Renato Nocentini's workshop. Nocentini owned the 002C at that time.

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 14:18

According my information the only Ferrari part involved on the Biondetti Special project was the body (not the entire chassis) of the 166sc 002C : the last occurance of 002C with the SC body was with Luigi de Filippis at Roma on 11 June 1950, and first appearance of the Biondetti Special at Monza on 3 Sep 1950. Probably the new car was created at Renato Nocentini's workshop. Nocentini owned the 002C at that time.

There is at least one existing thread discussing the Biondetti cars - sorry I'm too lazy to search for them and post a link. Can I suggest that you continue that discussion there and let this thread concentrate on his relationship with Ferrari and Jaguar.

Iknow that he dorve a works Jaguar at Le Mans. I read somewhere (possibly on one of the other threads here) that he tried to buy an XK120C and Jaguar either couldn't or wouldn't sell him one so he made his "C-Type clone" special.

Edited by D-Type, 03 February 2011 - 14:19.

#11 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 14:44

There is at least one existing thread discussing the Biondetti cars - sorry I'm too lazy to search for them and post a link. Can I suggest that you continue that discussion there and let this thread concentrate on his relationship with Ferrari and Jaguar.

Iknow that he dorve a works Jaguar at Le Mans. I read somewhere (possibly on one of the other threads here) that he tried to buy an XK120C and Jaguar either couldn't or wouldn't sell him one so he made his "C-Type clone" special.

Thanks for that.

I believe that it was more a case of couldn't rather than wouldn't sell him a C-Type because Jaguar had plans for those first three cars which had competed at Le Mans.

I'm beginning to think that my original supposition that Biondetti had a falling-out with Jaguar and with Ferrari was mistaken, and suspect that any negativity was his own, possibly resulting from his frustration at not being able to get his hands on current and competitive machinery.

I would be most interested to hear from anybody who can comment on Clemente Biondetti the man. The more I read about him the more extraordinary his story appears to be. For example, he joined the Italian army during WW1; it would be interesting to know in what capacity he served? Likewise in WW2 he will have been sufficiently fit to serve - he had sufficient stamina to win the Mille Miglia three times in the late 1940s - so how did he occupy his time during those war years. Was he a family man and, if so, then what on earth did his family think about him racing during that hazardous period when he was in his 50s, especially as he was suffering from cancer (which I understand may have been cancer of the throat).

Thanks again.

Christopher Wigdor

#12 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 15:32

Can I suggest that you continue that discussion there and let this thread concentrate on his relationship with Ferrari and Jaguar.

Completely agree, though a small note: when I read that some believe that there was no Ferrari part at all in the first outing of the Biondetti Special, there would also be no reason for EF to fall out with him. Gozzi answering in 1978 that EF could not recall this car would support this.

#13 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 17:11

Completely agree, though a small note: when I read that some believe that there was no Ferrari part at all in the first outing of the Biondetti Special, there would also be no reason for EF to fall out with him. Gozzi answering in 1978 that EF could not recall this car would support this. Ther colour shot shows the car as it looked about 12 years ago at Monza/

This is the Clemente Biondetti Jaguar special before the start of the 1951 Mille Miglia and the Jaguar C type influence can be seen here.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

#14 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 17:16

This is the Clemente Biondetti Jaguar special before the start of the 1951 Mille Miglia and the Jaguar C type influence can be seen here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The lower colour shot shows the car when I photographed it at Monza about twelve years ago. Sorry this was missed out of the post.

#15 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 17:34

The lower colour shot shows the car when I photographed it at Monza about twelve years ago. Sorry this was missed out of the post.

Really interesting photographs, but that is actually Bonnetto's 1952 special which was driven in that years Mille Miglia by Pezzoli and Cazullani as Clemente himself was driving for Ferrari. The 1951 Jaguar Special had the Ferrari style body with cycle type mudguards. :cool:

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 03 February 2011 - 17:35.

#16 Perruqueporte

Perruqueporte

• 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 20:37

Really interesting photographs, but that is actually Bonnetto's 1952 special which was driven in that years Mille Miglia by Pezzoli and Cazullani as Clemente himself was driving for Ferrari. The 1951 Jaguar Special had the Ferrari style body with cycle type mudguards. :cool:

Thank you for sharing these photographs, both of which are new to me.

I have seen photographs of the red car at relatively recent events, and understand it to be Biondetti's actual special or, as claimed in one account that I have read, a re-creation of same. It would be interesting to know if Jaguar took an interest in the car, and whether or not Biondetti liaised with Jaguar during its design and construction?

Does anybody know if it achieved any success?

Christopher Wigdor

#17 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:38

In my old scrapbook from the '50's I have a picture showing

"A group of competitors rounding the Curva diVedano at Monza led by Biondetti, in his special- Ferrari chassis and Jaguar XK120 engine and gearbox"

There is also a smaller photo showing the car with the bonnet off. No doubt 'experts' could identify what Ferrari/or not it is.

But dare I scan and post from a 60 year old magazine?

#18 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:48

In the Biondetti book mentioned earlier, there is an excellent photograph of the 'Ferrari-Jaguar' taken during the 1951 Coppa della Toscana in which the car is described as being a Jaguar XK120 engined Ferrari 166SC. In the results section of the book it is simply reffered to as a Jaguar 3500.

#19 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 17:22

In his book ''Red Arrows, Ferraris at The Mille MIglia', Giannino Marzotto mentions that in 1947 Biondetti was working on a car which was be powered by eight Norton motor cycle engines!. I wonder what became of that project?.

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 17:43

In my old scrapbook from the '50's I have a picture showing

"A group of competitors rounding the Curva diVedano at Monza led by Biondetti, in his special- Ferrari chassis and Jaguar XK120 engine and gearbox"

There is also a smaller photo showing the car with the bonnet off. No doubt 'experts' could identify what Ferrari/or not it is.

But dare I scan and post from a 60 year old magazine?

Don't see why not: just qualify it with "source and copyright unknown" :)