Photo

50th anniversary of the USGP at Watkins Glen (merged)

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#101 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:07

Probably just plastic pipe in order to vent the fuel cell or catch tanks for oil/water. Positioned there to best prevent spraying over the tyres or hot exhaust pipes.

Advertisement

#102 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:43

Probably just plastic pipe in order to vent the fuel cell or catch tanks for oil/water. Positioned there to best prevent spraying over the tyres or hot exhaust pipes.

I'm surprised I've never noticed it before, but it appears regularly in photos of the Flat-12 F1 cars from around 1976 onward (after the enormous air boxes were outlawed). It does appear to be, as DogEarred said, a piece of plastic tubing venting the fuel tanks.

#103 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,578 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:09

I'm surprised I've never noticed it before, but it appears regularly in photos of the Flat-12 F1 cars from around 1976 onward (after the enormous air boxes were outlawed). It does appear to be, as DogEarred said, a piece of plastic tubing venting the fuel tanks.

I'm leaning toward coolant overflow........

#104 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:22

I'm leaning toward coolant overflow........

Obviously difficult for a spectator or tv viewer to see, but sometimes you could just make out fluid venting at the start of a race when the the cars were accelerating & the tanks were (over)full.
These days the rules say everything must drain into a 1 litre(?) tank.

Interestingly, for Moto GP/Superbikes, I think there is a rule that the bodywork 'underbelly' must be sufficiently deep to allow for a certain spillage of oil/fluids.

In Indycar races, when lifting a disabled car, the marshalls immediately pull a sheet under the car to prevent further spillage onto the track.

Edited by DogEarred, 10 March 2011 - 10:34.

#105 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:33

In Indycar races, when lifting a disabled car, the marshalls immediately pull a sheet under the car to prevent further spillage onto the track.

That is more in line with a catastrophic engine failure which is nearly extinct in the current engine formula. When the Aurora and Infinity engines were being utilized, it was a fairly common scenario.

#106 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:50

USGP 1977.
Anyone know what the device is that I've marked with the red arrows?

Posted Image

This shows either Clay or Niki's 1975 Ferrari 312T in the Kendall Garage. I would assume that with the similarity in engines with the 1977 car, the tube seen in this photo served the same purpose. I'm more familiar with the mechanical layout of IndyCars of the period, so I'll defer to someone more astute than I to tell us the exact source.

photo: B²
Posted Image

#107 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 14:07

1977 Michael Turner program and race poster artwork.

Posted Image

#108 Pete Lyons

Pete Lyons

• 37 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 00:59

Re "Celebrated motorsports writer Pete Lyons will speak on April 16, discussing his years working in Europe covering Formula One."

Oops, I should report that I had to postpone this talk because of a minor medical issue that made travel in April inadvisable. Happily said issue is rapidly becoming resolved and I expect to be able to accept Michael Argetsinger's alternative offer to come in October instead. Apologies for any inconvenience.

-- Pete

#109 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,590 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:50

...Happily said issue is rapidly becoming resolved...

:up:

#110 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:58

Happily said issue is rapidly becoming resolved ...

Pete - Certainly good to hear. All the best. B²

All of Pete's friends and admirers in Watkins Glen and at the International Motor Racing Research Center are looking forward to Pete's rapid recovery. An exact date will be forthcoming for welcoming Pete to the Center later in the 2011 season.

With that, the IMRRC is pleased to announce Michael Keyser has accepted their invitation to step in as keynote speaker for the April 16th event. This will be the Center's Open House and coincides with the seasonal opening of Watkins Glen International. In addition to Mr. Keyser's presentation, the Center will be celebrating the 100th birthday of William F. (Bill) Milliken. Included in Mr. Milliken's lengthy racing resume is his duties as Clerk of the Course (Chief Steward) for the United States Grand Prix from 1961 - 1970. The day's activities will conclude with the showing of the MGM movie classic "Grand Prix" at the Glen Theater on Franklin St., "downtown" Watkins Glen. It should be a great weekend for all attendees and participants.

As always, thanks for your interest and support of the IMRRC and the lovely village of Watkins Glen, NY.

#111 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,398 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 17:42

Michael will do a good job; I always like to hear what he has to say. :up:

#112 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 13:16

For our fellow TNF members in the Chicago area, the Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society (CLASS) will be gathering for the the following event. Please let me know if you are interested and I will provide the additional details to RSVP. This is a wonderful group of fellow enthusiasts, a very nice evening of bench racing should be had by all. Thanks, B²

We are excited to announce a special CLASS event at 5 P.M. on Thursday, March 24, 2011.

Award winning autosports author and noted motorsport authority, Michael Argetsinger will present, in photos and discussion, the story of how Formula 1 racing came to Watkins Glen with the United States Grand Prix in 1961. His talk and PowerPoint presentation will feature unique period photos and will focus on the first USGP at Watkins Glen on October 8, 1961.

Michael’s presentation will include fascinating historical details of the international Formula Libre races that first brought Formula 1 cars to Watkins Glen. These exciting Formula Libre races brought international stars to the US and set the stage for the circuit being awarded the US Grand Prix for 1961. As assistant to the Press Director, and later as special representative to the Race Director in Europe, Argetsinger was an integral member of the Watkins Glen race organization team during the 1960s. As many of you may know, Michael is now an award-winning author of three books on racing and his newest book “Formula 1 at Watkins Glen: 20 Years of the United States Grand Prix 1961-1980” will be launched by David Bull Publishing in September of this year.

We are excited to have Michael bring his presentation he gave just a few weeks ago to a standing room only crowd at the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen. CLASS has always been a large supporter the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen and we expect a very large gathering that Thursday so we have moved the start time to 5:00 PM, to accommodate all CLASS participants and their guests. We have rented the full restaurant at PAZZO’S for the evening, with a cocktail reception starting at five and sit-down dinner at 6:30.

Because of the scheduling of staff, tables and food this will be a phone in, RSVP only event.

We look forward to seeing you at this historically stirring Formula 1 CLASS event!

#113 jm70

jm70

• 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 16:48

I would be interested.

#114 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 13:14

I would be interested.

I've sent you a PM with the information. I'll gladly do the same for anyone else that would like to attend.

#115 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 17:56

Three time winner at the United States Grand Prix, Jim Clark, enjoys his 1962 victory.

photo: IMRRC
Posted Image

#116 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 20:25

Three time winner at the United States Grand Prix, Jim Clark, enjoys his 1962 victory.

Posted Image

Now THAT is a glass of bubbly stuff.........

#117 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 13:49

Jim Clark, Keith Duckworth and Colin Chapman celebrate their 1967 victory at Watkins Glen.

Posted Image

#118 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:02

Alan Jones finished 2nd in 1978 with the Williams FW06.

Posted Image

#119 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:26

Niki Lauda's mechanic, Ermanno Cuoghi, tends to the Ferrari 312T in 1975 at Watkins Glen.

photos: B²
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#120 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:52

Posted Image

Ronnie Peterson and Tim Schenken at Watkins Glen.

Posted Image

Mike Wilds on pit row at Watkins Glen in 1974.

Edited by watkins, 21 March 2011 - 03:52.

#121 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:48

I'm having a scanner issue, so this may be a repeat from an earlier "personal pictures" thread. One of the Brabhams in the Kendall Garage, 1977.

Posted Image

#122 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:31

As much as I enjoyed the F1 events at Watkins Glen, I must say that rains made camping out a challenge. 1977 overview shown with the Kendall Garage in the background.

Posted Image

#123 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 13:18

As much as I enjoyed the F1 events at Watkins Glen, I must say that rains made camping out a challenge. 1977 overview shown with the Kendall Garage in the background.

Great Photo = We have lots of those rain-soaked images... Eventually, we wised-up on the camping thing - by adding more guys and renting a motorhome, driving from the Detroit area to the Glen each year.

BTW - The 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Pace Car for the USGP is for sale on eBay!

Edited by rdrcr, 23 March 2011 - 13:31.

#124 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 13:40

Posted Image

© Bruce Unwin

Niki on the Grid - 1977 USGP at Watkins Glen

#125 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 15:27

Nice photo, thanks for sharing.... :up:

#126 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:40

During the Grand Prix years, Vic Franzeze's Glen Motor Inn was the place to stay for the majority of the teams and drivers. The food is still fantastic and the Seneca Lake view is unmatched.

Posted Image

#127 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 15:01

Had dinner there one evening in 1993 with John Bornholdt, who was the USGP Chief Steward for years. The stories that he had to tell!
Tom

#128 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 21:55

We used to go there for breakfast and get a table amongst the drivers and teams before heading off to the track. Happy days for sure.

#129 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 23:36

[quote name='watkins' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:39' post='4868665']

Hi There would it be possible to use this picture in the Getting a Lift ...Thread

Thanks eldougo .

Pm me if you wish.

Edited by eldougo, 24 March 2011 - 23:36.

#130 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 16:16

Hi There would it be possible to use this picture in the Getting a Lift ...Thread
Thanks eldougo ...

eldougo,
No problem...go ahead and post it on the "Getting a Lift ...Thread"

#131 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:18

On Thursday the Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society (CLASS) met at Pazzo's Restaurant in downtown Chicago for a wonderfully detailed presentation by Michael Argetsinger regarding the history and circumstances which brought the 1961 United States Grand Prix to Watkins Glen. Through Michael's words and many photos, those in attendance where given a genuine feel for the massive efforts and dedication, that Michael experienced first hand, as his family, his father's race associates and the entire community of Watkins Glen planned and prepared to greet the Formula One racers on very short notice in October, 1961.

After Michael's presentation, he entertained numerous questions. Burdette Martin http://www.grandprix...ref-marbur.html was also in attendance, so the recounting of first hand stories was great in number. Personally speaking, it is so enjoyable to just listen in on such conversations to experience something that I can only read about. Thanks for a very nice evening.

I had no luck with my photos of attendees that night. Either eyes closed or lack of focus... sorry.

Robert Gillespie's painting of the start of the described event is shown below. Mr. Gillespie's work can also be seen on murals on various buildings in downtown Watkins Glen.

courtesy of IMRRC
Posted Image

#132 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:24

The following photo shows the 250F Maserati that Jo Bonnier drove to victory in the 1958 International Formula Libre race at Watkins Glen. This was the first of the three Libre races that positioned Watkins Glen to obtain the USGP in 1961. Bonnier won against a very tough field of sports cars in a close race. In the race he lapped at over a 100 mph average (as did Phil Hill in the 4.1 liter Ferrari) -- the first time an American road circuit had been lapped at over 100 mph. The Maserati was the same car (chassis 2529) that Fangio drove to win the 1957 German GP.

Posted Image

#133 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:36

Watching the incredible acceleration out of the hairpin was always a favorite spectating location. This shot is from 1979, unknown, Derek Daly and 1979 World Champion, Jody Scheckter seen here.

Posted Image

Edit: Thanks to LittleChris, Carlos Reutemann has been identified as the car on the left.

Edited by B Squared, 01 April 2011 - 09:38.

#134 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,891 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:42

Watching the incredible acceleration out of the hairpin was always a favorite spectating location. This shot is from 1979, unknown, Derek Daly and 1979 World Champion, Jody Scheckter seen here.

I believe that's Rosberg in the Wolf out front.

#135 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:33

Brian-

superb photo of Bonnier in the 250F...best I have seen of it at the Libre race. Do you have anything of the Gurney Ferrari #3 from that race? Thanks.

#136 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,164 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 21:49

Are you sure Rob. I reckon that it says Martini Racing under the wing which would make it a Lotus, either Andretti or Reutemann ( I think the latter )

#137 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 23:10

Are you sure Rob. I reckon that it says Martini Racing under the wing which would make it a Lotus, either Andretti or Reutemann ( I think the latter )

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think Reutemann is the correct identification. The yellow on the helmet leaves out Mario.

#138 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,891 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 00:30

Ahh, indeed it is. I couldn't make out what the rear wing said, but the lettering looked gold to me so I didn't consider the Lotuses.

#139 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 00:47

The following photo shows the 250F Maserati that Jo Bonnier drove to victory in the 1958 International Formula Libre race at Watkins Glen. This was the first of the three Libre races that positioned Watkins Glen to obtain the USGP in 1961. Bonnier won against a very tough field of sports cars in a close race. In the race he lapped at over a 100 mph average (as did Phil Hill in the 4.1 liter Ferrari) -- the first time an American road circuit had been lapped at over 100 mph. The Maserati was the same car (chassis 2529) that Fangio drove to win the 1957 German GP.

Posted Image

Here is the same car at Road America a few years later. The car was owned at that time by Dave Deuble who is in the wheel chair. Dave was severely injured when he crashed driving an RSK or RS60. The gentleman in the car is Bud Seaverns who frequently was the starter at Road America. Bud took a few laps for the crowd. I took the photo and have another of it coming down the straight. Ron
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image

Advertisement

#140 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:10

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

#141 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 13:33

superb photo of Bonnier in the 250F...best I have seen of it at the Libre race. Do you have anything of the Gurney Ferrari #3 from that race? Thanks.

This is the only shot I have of the Gurney Ferrari, albeit barely seen behind Phil Hill's. Apologies for nothing more definitive. You may try contacting the International Motor Racing Research Center for the right photo. http://racingarchives.org/

Posted Image
Phil Hill in foreground with Dan Gurney standing behind him. Jo Bonnier is seated in the 250F alongside George Constantine in an Aston-Martin DBR-300.

Ron - thanks for posting the 250F photos at RA. :up:

#142 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,398 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 14:58

I feel lucky to have driven both courses. In fact my first SCCA Driving School was at the Glen.

#143 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:01

The following three photos are from the 1978 USGP:

Posted Image
Arturo Merzario on his way to the starting grid.

Posted Image
Mario Andretti's Lotus after spinning and loosing a rear wheel on the last lap of the pre race warm-up.

Posted Image
The fans were ready for anything and everything...

#144 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:13

Great Stuff, Watkins.

I remember that spin, coming out of the Loop. Title in hand, but I thought that was the end of his weekend, and all wanted to see our Champion race!

Other image.... The Bog?

#145 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 20:17

Great Stuff, Watkins.

...Other image.... The Bog?

Nope, it was at the top of the hillside viewing area overlooking turn 7, in the Boot.

#146 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,225 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:53

Do you have anything of the Gurney Ferrari #3 from that race? Thanks.

Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.racingspo...8-09-28-003.jpg

Vince H.

#147 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:31

Posted Image
Mario Andretti's Lotus after spinning and loosing a rear wheel on the last lap of the pre race warm-up.

All reports from the time indicated that the wheel detached from the Lotus and Mario's spin was the result of that failure. Thanks for the photos. The one of the Lotus on the hook is a sharp reminder of how gutted so many were that Sunday morning.

edit:sp

Edited by B Squared, 01 April 2011 - 13:06.

#148 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,398 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 15:30

I think when they burned that Brazilian Tourist bus in the bog it was the beginning of the end. I think they also got a Roller that weekend too.

#149 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 21:45

On Thursday the Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society (CLASS) met at Pazzo's Restaurant in downtown Chicago for a wonderfully detailed presentation by Michael Argetsinger regarding the history and circumstances which brought the 1961 United States Grand Prix to Watkins Glen. Through Michael's words and many photos, those in attendance where given a genuine feel for the massive efforts and dedication, that Michael experienced first hand, as his family, his father's race associates and the entire community of Watkins Glen planned and prepared to greet the Formula One racers on very short notice in October, 1961.

After Michael's presentation, he entertained numerous questions. Burdette Martin http://www.grandprix...ref-marbur.html was also in attendance, so the recounting of first hand stories was great in number. Personally speaking, it is so enjoyable to just listen in on such conversations to experience something that I can only read about. Thanks for a very nice evening.

I had no luck with my photos of attendees that night. Either eyes closed or lack of focus... sorry.

Robert Gillespie's painting of the start of the described event is shown below. Mr. Gillespie's work can also be seen on murals on various buildings in downtown Watkins Glen.

courtesy of IMRRC
Posted Image

Well Brian here are two photographs that Pete Luongo took. Posted Image

We Have Ron Nelson, Michael Argetsinger(featured speaker)Berdie Martin, John Welch and David Cooper.
Next photo is the same group only Brian Brown has replaced yours truly next to Michael.
Posted Image

Again, a very interesting talk about the Grand Prix coming to the Glen and great conversations after. Regards, Ron

#150 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 00:35

I think when they burned that Brazilian Tourist bus in the bog it was the beginning of the end. I think they also got a Roller that weekend too.

Well, boys will be boys.