Photo

50th anniversary of the USGP at Watkins Glen (merged)

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#401 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 14:16

They didn't use the 751 (I assume it was written off in Austria). Watson practised in the new PC3 and set his grid time with it. In the run-up to the race the PC3 developed an insoluble electrical glitch, so the old PC1, which had been taken along as a show car and hadn't run for weeks, was hurriedly pressed into service and Watson used it to finish ninth in the race.

Sorry, Brian, I'd forgotten the PC3 looked so March-like.

Thanks for the assist Tim.
No apologies needed E1. I appreciate the input.

Another shot of Watson in the PC3 the weekend of the 1975 USGP at Watkins Glen.

photo: IMRRC
Posted Image

Advertisement

#402 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 21:06

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

#403 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:20

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

jj - I really appreciate you sharing the photos from your treasure trove. :up: I see some of your photos and know we must have rubbed shoulders a time or two.

#404 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 22:51

jj - I really appreciate you sharing the photos from your treasure trove. :up: I see some of your photos and know we must have rubbed shoulders a time or two.

Brian, I am sure that we did.... :up:

#405 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:29

Brian, I am sure that we did.... :up:

Me, too, most likely (1976-77-78). :wave:

#406 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:24

After being left at the start with a dead battery, Jim Clark came from approximately 1-½ laps down to finish 3rd in the 1963 United States Grand Prix. He is shown in pursuit in the photo below, the lap record being lowered in the process.

Posted Image

#407 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:37

The start of the 1966 United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.

Posted Image

#408 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:07

Brian, great shots (!)... but I can't for the life of me figure out where Post #408's was taken.

#409 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,249 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:24

Tim - Glad that you're enjoying the photos.

photo: B²
Posted Image

Jean-Pierre Jabouille's Renault is rolled out of the Kendall garage for an engine warm up in 1979. JPJ would qualify 8th and had climbed to 3rd when he retired from the Grand Prix on lap 25 with engine trouble. Teammate Arnoux would finish 2nd, approximately 50 seconds behind Villeneuve.

One would guess that those are transport wheels on the car. A rally tyre and a wet on a very narrow rim does not seem to be accepted rubber for F1!!

#410 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,744 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:31

A rally tyre and a wet on a very narrow rim does not seem to be accepted rubber for F1!!

Ah, but wouldn't it have been spectacular to watch. :love: :clap:

#411 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 22:32

Brian, great shots (!)... but I can't for the life of me figure out where Post #408's was taken.

http://www.na-motors...s/glen/1963.gif
I believe it was taken at the end of the 'West Leg" in the map on the above web-site of the 1963 circuit.

#412 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 23:08

http://www.na-motors...s/glen/1963.gif
I believe it was taken at the end of the 'West Leg" in the map on the above web-site of the 1963 circuit.

Thanks, WGD, I wondered about that but wrote it off... because I thought the original circuit was intact except for the the addition of the "new" section added later. Per your map, it's clear I had no idea how different the original track was compared to even the "NASCAR" version today!

I appreciate your setting me straight. :wave:

#413 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:51

Ickx leads Regazzoni and Amon in the 1970 USGP. The track would be reconfigured for the 1971 race.

Posted Image

#414 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:10

From Automobile magazine, December, 2011.

http://www.automobil....com/index.html

Posted Image

#415 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 21:37

:wave: Hint to Self... thanks for the reminder, :up: I really need to buy a copy!

Edited by E1pix, 21 November 2011 - 21:37.

#416 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:37

I really need to buy a copy!

I know you'll enjoy the book. With the proceeds going to the IMRRC, it is a benefit to all of us who treasure the sports history and preservation.

Have you thought about asking Santa Claus??

#417 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 21:57

I know you'll enjoy the book. With the proceeds going to the IMRRC, it is a benefit to all of us who treasure the sports history and preservation.

Have you thought about asking Santa Claus??

Yes, but that bag is empty. :(

#418 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:11

United States Grand Prix 1974. Mark Donohue leads Brambilla and Stommelen.

Posted Image

#419 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 20:11

My sincere congratulations to Michael Argetsinger and publisher David Bull on their nomination for the 2011 Dean Batchelor Award book category with Formula One at Watkins Glen: 20 Years of the United States Grand Prix, 1961-1980. Another outstanding effort. :up:

Well done and good luck to all of the nominees.

Dean Batchelor Award Finalists 2011 ...

Motor Press Guild Selects 2011 Dean Batchelor Award Finalists

Established in 1995, the Dean Batchelor Award recognizes excellence in automotive journalism as exemplified by the man it is named after–Dean Batchelor.

The Award singles out individuals demonstrating outstanding achievement in the profession of automotive journalism. Each year MPG presents the Dean Batchelor Award to the journalist judged to have produced the single piece of work which best represents the professional standards and excellence demanded by Dean Batchelor during his life as an editor, writer, and chronicler of the automotive industry.

The winner of each category receives the MPG Best of the Year award in that category. The Dean Batchelor Award is then chosen from among the four category winners.

The 2011 finalists are:

Article Category

Jay G. Fitzhugh, "Protesters Sign Here," Rodders Journal, Winter 2010;
Preston Lerner, "Last Call for the Town Car," Automobile Magazine, July 2011
Tom Stahler, "Questor Grand Prix," Vintage Motorsport, July/August 2011

Audio/Visual Category

Todd Deeken & Paul Schmucker, "Chevrolet Volt," Everydaydriver.com, May 24, 2011
Michael Mandt, Neil Mandt & David Houston, "Rolls Royce Ghost," The Car Show, July 13, 2011
Asif Kapadia & Manish Pandey, "Senna," August 12, 2011

Book Category

Michael Argetsinger, Formula One at Watkins Glen: 20 Years of the United States Grand Prix, 1961-1980, David Bull Publishing
Stuart Codling, Real Racers, Motorbooks
Janos Wimpffen, Elva, the Cars, the People, the History, David Bull Publishing

Photography Category

Paul Barshon, "Viva Italia," Automobile Magazine, March 2011
Brian Blades, "Absolute Power," Road & Track Magazine, February 2011
Reinhard Klein, "Everybody's a Photographer," Road & Track Magazine, September 2011

The Best of the Year and Batchelor awards are given at the annual awards banquet, this year scheduled for December 13th at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

In addition, the Dean Batchelor Lifetime Achievement Award, selected separately by the Motor Press Guild Board of Directors, is presented on a case-by-case basis to individuals for outstanding contributions to the automotive communications industry.

The Dean Batchelor Award was first presented posthumously to Dean Batchelor in 1995 for his seminal book on hot rodding, The American Hot Rod, which was published after his death in 1994.

http://www.motorpres...tePageId=130373

Advertisement

#420 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 21:23

:wave: Thanks, Brian, and Well Done to the Finalists!

#421 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 13:49

A typical trackside view from Watkins Glen during a Grand Prix weekend.

Posted Image

#422 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:50

Ah! Hippies when they still supported Corporations!

#423 alansart

alansart

• 4,053 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 17:40

I made my only visit (so far) to Watkins Glen for the 1974 Grand Prix. For a teenager more used to the very English Crystal Palace, Silverstone and Brands Hatch the Glen was a bit of a culture shock!

The goings on at "The Bog" with the burning of buses and cars stolen from the car parks plus the open sale of recreational drugs was just something I was not used to. The Kendall Centre was a revelation. What a fantastic place to wander around to see what all the teams were doing to the cars and for those of staying for the whole weekend the movies shown from the Grandstands, sorry Bleachers, were just great. Something I'd never seen before. A couple of us were staying in a tent for 3 days which got a bit chilly as the temperature went down to near near freezing at night even though it was very hot during the day.

I went though about 10 films in my camera over the weekend but hadn't realised it had been damaged by the rain while I was at the Brands Hatch, Race of Champions much earlier in the year. I didn't use it much at that time as I spent most week ends as a Fire Marshal at Silverstone. I remember being very disappointed when I developed the negs, everything underexposed and very grainy :(

I've scanned these from a few prints I have left in an old album.

John Watson's Brabham
Posted Image

James Hunt's Hesketh - I know hindsight is a wonderful thing with what happened at that race, but the gap between the bottom of the barrier and the ground compared to the height of front of the Hesketh is frightening!
Posted Image

Jean-Pierre Jarier in the UOP Shadow Can Am car. The Shadow Showdown sounded good on paper but was a bit of a non race. Not that I cared. I'd not seen the Shadow's before - just watching them rumble around the track was enough :)
Posted Image

#424 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 13:07

Alan - Thanks for your photos and story.

Peter Revson at Watkins Glen in 1972. He qualified the McLaren M19C second, but a first lap off with Ickx and Reutemann left him at the back of the field. Revson had raced back up to 6th with 5 laps left in the Grand Prix, when ignition failure ended his day. I find his name on the rear wing end plate rather odd; any reason to have this in addition to his scripted name on the cockpit bodywork?

Posted Image

#425 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 13:12

I just looked thru my photos from the practice sessions and nothing appears there so maybe it was a race day addition.

#426 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:53

I made my only visit (so far) to Watkins Glen for the 1974 Grand Prix. For a teenager more used to the very English Crystal Palace, Silverstone and Brands Hatch the Glen was a bit of a culture shock!

:up: Fantastic, Alan, I love it! Those were the days...

I find his name on the rear wing end plate rather odd; any reason to have this in addition to his scripted name on the cockpit bodywork?

A sign man with a convincing sales style? :)

#427 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:26

I just looked thru my photos from the practice sessions and nothing appears there so maybe it was a race day addition.

A sign man with a convincing sales style? :)

I'm thinking that with three cars entered (two M19C's for Revson & Hulme and a M19A for Scheckter), that it may have been added for quicker identification purposes for those on the team. Thanks for the input.

Another general atmosphere shot from the United States Grand Prix in the early '70's.

Posted Image

#428 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:11

There is a book review of Michael's Formula One at Watkins Glen: 20 Years of the United States Grand Prix, 1961-1980 in the December issue of Motorsport. Unfortunately I've been unable to locate a copy in town at any of the book stores. Usually a very easy task, the Barnes & Noble guys can't even give me an expected date of delivery.... :mad:

#429 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,707 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:37

Is anyone from the So. CA area (or elsewhere for that matter), going to the Dean Batchelor Awards at the Petersen Dec 13th? David Kane and I are contemplating on going... maybe some of us can hook-up and grab a table or something. FYI - pre-registration will save you $20 on the $75 at-the-door price. The function starts at 6PM. Check out the Motor Press Guild website for more info.

Best wishes to Mike for taking home the prize in the Book Category. Hope to see you there ~

#430 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:19

Is anyone from the So. CA area (or elsewhere for that matter), going to the Dean Batchelor Awards at the Petersen Dec 13th? David Kane and I are contemplating on going... maybe some of us can hook-up and grab a table or something. FYI - pre-registration will save you $20 on the $75 at-the-door price. The function starts at 6PM. Check out the Motor Press Guild website for more info.

Best wishes to Mike for taking home the prize in the Book Category. Hope to see you there ~

Thanks for posting this, I know Michael appreciates the support so much.

I'm posting this from work, it looks like my (usually so reliable) computer crashed in a big way this morning. I've got a text into my computer "guru". Hopefully I won't be out of touch for too long.

#431 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:51

It would be so neat to see a full grid of modern F1 cars at Watkins Glen.

Posted Image

#432 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,707 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:50

Posted Image

Posted Image

"access" :cool:

Edited by rdrcr, 05 December 2011 - 01:53.

#433 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:10

Wonderful images, Richard! :up: I was there as well that year, 1977.

#434 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:03

Great memories in your photos Richard, thanks for posting.

I finally located a December copy of Motor Sport. From Reviews page 129.

Posted Image

Editor-in-chief Nigel Roebuck has always had a soft spot for Watkins Glen. "For me," he wrote in the December 2010 issue of Motor Sport "it had a magical quality, and if ever Formula 1 had a spiritual home in the USA, this was surely it."

Nigel also talked a few months earlier about how F1 had always struggled in the USA, apart from when it was hosted by Watkins Glen. Scanning the pages of Argetsinger's work, it's not hard to see why this circuit gained such a reputation with drivers, teams and fans from all over the world.

Thanks to a successful few years of Formula Libre between 1958-60, Watkins Glen opened its gates to F1 for the first time in '61. Innes Ireland won that race, and not only was it the first victory for Team Lotus, it was the first of many Grands Prix at the demanding circuit in upstate New York.

Among others Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Sir Jackie Stewart, Ronnie Peterson, Niki Lauda and Gilles Villeneuve all won at the Glen, and this book takes you through all the races between 1961 and '80.

This isn't by any means a reference book and is filled with more images and lengthy captions than text. However, as an overview of this great track, and indeed a great era in F1, you won't find better. EF

http://www.bullpubli....asp?itemid=149

#435 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 241 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 22:33

Does anybody know why the new Argetsinger book is showing as "Out of Print" at Amazon.com, even though it's just been published?

http://www.amazon.co...-...0882&sr=1-4

Edited by Emery0323, 06 December 2011 - 22:35.

#436 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:33

Does anybody know why the new Argetsinger book is showing as "Out of Print" at Amazon.com, even though it's just been published?

http://www.amazon.co...-...0882&sr=1-4

I won't speculate on the reason for Amazon's listing, but I will try to find out for you. I know you can still purchase the book at either of the two following links. Thanks for your interest.

http://www.bullpubli....asp?itemid=149
http://racingarchives.org/

#437 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 13:09

For those of you in the Los Angeles area, Michael Argetsinger and Janos Wimpffen will be meeting, greeting and signing books at Autobooks - Aerobooks at 2900 West Magnolia - Burbank on Saturday Dec. 10 from 10 am - 2pm Pacific time.

On Sunday, Michael is to be interviewed by Jay Leno.

http://autobooks-aer...PICK-THE-WINNER!

http://autobooks-aerobooks.com/

#438 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:21

Watkins Glen, 1974. Before the race, chief mechanic Karl Kainhofer confers with Mark Donohue in the cockpit of the Penske PC1. Roger Penske at the right top talking to Vel Melitich. John Baldwin and Maurice Philippe behind the rear wing. Team Manager, Heinz Hofer back to back with RP. The attending media illustrates that Team Penske and Mark Donohue entering into Formula One on a full time basis was welcome news.

Posted Image

edit: correction of year & two persons indentities.

Edited by B Squared, 11 December 2011 - 13:47.

#439 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:25

Watkins Glen, 1975. Before the race, chief mechanic Karl Kainhofer confers with Mark Donohue in the cockpit of the Penske PC1. Roger Penske at the right top talking to Vel Melitich. Designer Geoff Ferris behind the rear wing. Team Manager, Heinz Hofer back to back with RP. The attending media illustrates that Team Penske and Mark Donohue entering into Formula One on a full time basis was welcome news.

Posted Image

Brian I believe it's 1974.

Advertisement

#440 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 739 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 17:51

Actually I think it's John Baldwin and Maurice Philippe in the red jackets behind the car, not Geoff Ferris.

I had a drink with Geoff last night - he's in great form.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 10 December 2011 - 17:57.

#441 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:49

Brian I believe it's 1974.

Of course, how embarrassing. :blush:

Actually I think it's John Baldwin and Maurice Philippe in the red jackets behind the car, not Geoff Ferris.

I had a drink with Geoff last night - he's in great form.

Thanks, as always, for your insight and knowledge. Both are duly corrected on the original post. Good to hear Mr. Ferris is well. :up:

#442 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:19

The 2011 Dean Batchelor Award Banquet will be held Tuesday, December 13, 2011 from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Semi formal attire; black tie optional.

http://www.motorpres...?...3&orgId=mpg

I want to extend my best wishes to Michael and the other nominees for tonight's awards. Well done. :up:

#443 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:14

Congratulations to Janos Wimpffen for winning the best book award for "Elva,The Cars,The People,The History" published by David Bull Publishing. While disappointed for Michael, it is good to see the Dean Batchelor Award being won within the David Bull "family". Well done to all the winners and to all the nominees for their fine efforts and deserving recognition.

http://www.wfsb.com/...atchelor-awards

#444 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,744 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:23

Anything which beats one of Michael's works must be pretty good indeed. Congratulations to all, especially docjanos (his TNF alias).

:clap: :clap:

#445 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:05

Anything which beats one of Michael's works must be pretty good indeed. Congratulations to all, especially docjanos (his TNF alias).

:clap: :clap:

Boy, I guess! Sorry for Michael, but how cool is it that someone actually did an Elva book of this quality?

By the way, Tim and B2... :wave:

Carry On. :)

#446 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,800 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:29

USGP 1970. I'm up to 1970 in the selection process and this is one of the latest. The body language and expression on Ickx's face appear to tell it all. One wonders how relieved he was that after that weekend he would not have a possibility of surpassing Rindt in the points race for the WDC.

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

#447 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:57

Heck, if such a thing existed, I'd vote it Nostalgic Thread of the Year — though the "50th Anniversary of the USGP at Watkins Glen" thread is a sentimental favorite as well.

Seen while perusing TNF this morning; from the Nürburgring. A few b&w pictures from my friend's archive thread.

E1, I'm pleased that you are enjoying this subject also. It is alot of fun for me to make these trips down "memory lane". It is amazing to me the number of times a photo or a statement will trigger a long lost memory that returns so strong that you swear you are living it again. Thanks for the kind words, contributions and support that you've shared. :up:

#448 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:02

USGP 1970. I'm up to 1970 in the selection process and this is one of the latest. The body language and expression on Ickx's face appear to tell it all. One wonders how relieved he was that after that weekend he would not have a possibility of surpassing Rindt in the points race for the WDC.

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

Nice photo jj - thanks, as always. Could that possibly be Luc Ghys (Pedro 917) in the deerstalker at the far left of the frame?

#449 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 17:33

Congratulations to Janos Wimpffen for winning the best book award for "Elva,The Cars,The People,The History" published by David Bull Publishing. While disappointed for Michael, it is good to see the Dean Batchelor Award being won within the David Bull "family". Well done to all the winners and to all the nominees for their fine efforts and deserving recognition.

http://www.wfsb.com/...atchelor-awards

I second that emotion! The judges' choice must have been difficult, as both books were of deserving quality. David and his team have dominated this award category for years, and rightly so.

Frank

#450 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 21:26

Some interesting in-car footage of Graham Hill at Watkins Glen in 1963..................
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related