Photo

'Sports Car' - SCCA magazine scanned?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 USA Diligence

USA Diligence

• 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 17:59

I have the newsletters scanned, but seem to recall that someone may have scanned the monthly magazine from the 50's and 60's at some point (though I may have the wires crossed...). Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,

Chad

Advertisement

#2 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 18:11

Chad:

I have hard copies of all the magazines (back to Sportwagen) and most newsletters, but I've never heard of any available scans. If you need specific issues or articles, I may be able to photocopy one or two for you, time allowing.

Frank
fdb912@gmail.com

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:43

I happened to find this on the internet today. It includes the SCCA National News from 1952 to 1958:

ftp://91.121.135.76/digitalarchives/Magazines/

Much of this has been posted elsewhere, but some, like MotorSport, I hadn't seen posted before. I tried downloading one of the MotorSport issues. They are pretty big and take a while to download.

There is still more at this link:

ftp://91.121.135.76/digitalarchives/

Does anybody know where all this came from...who posted it on the internet? Some incredible stuff!

Vince H.

#4 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 16:31

I happened to find this on the internet today. It includes the SCCA National News from 1952 to 1958:

ftp://91.121.135.76/digitalarchives/Magazines/

Much of this has been posted elsewhere, but some, like MotorSport, I hadn't seen posted before. I tried downloading one of the MotorSport issues. They are pretty big and take a while to download.

There is still more at this link:

ftp://91.121.135.76/digitalarchives/

Does anybody know where all this came from...who posted it on the internet? Some incredible stuff!

Vince H.

How odd, by sheer coincidence, I was trawling through this today too...as I had noticed it had begun to come up on internet searches I did for specific names or cars. Whoever scanned the Competition Presses must have done them using some form of OCR, as otherwise how would these names come up?

I'm not entirely sure that the owner of the site intends it to be public though!

Michael

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 19:06

Michael

The Competition Press scans were done by Bob Norton some years ago. He didn't use OCR - that's the magic of Google!

I looked up the owner of the site, a French gamer, and I'm sure he didn't intend it to become public. He's in a lot of hot water when some of those books get noticed.

Allen

#6 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:34

I don't have the magazines but I have a huge amount of SCCA scanned programs, entry lists
and race results if you are interested:

SCCA Race Results

#7 USA Diligence

USA Diligence

• 48 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 17:44

Thanks Vince. I wasn't able to follow the link you added as it asked for a password. I assume those are the SCCA newsletters, not the magazines. I have the newsletters Bob Norton scanned before he passed.

Chad