Photo

The Weathcroft M23

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 13:47

I have noticed a thread I started on McLaren M23/7 has resurfaced, which got me digging through some correspondence I have filling a box file labeled, "M23".

Years ago Tom Weathcroft told me he had brought an M23, direct from the factory to enter for Roger Williamson in the 1974 season. He then repeated this to my old mucker David Tremayne. Years later, when Kevin Weathcroft was keen to have Bluebird K7 go to Derby to at least be preserved, or restored, I asked where the M23 was, and did it have a chassis number (I think tecnically it should have been M23/15?), but he claimed there were just a few components wrapped in wax paper, Tom never having felt like building the car up after Holland '73.

Has anyone any firmer knowledge of M23/15, or even seen it?

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 14:52

This was discussed a while ago in this thread:

Privately-entered McLaren M23s

where Michael Oliver produced this quote from Leo Wybrott:

OK, this is from Leo Wybrott, Chief Mechanic at McLaren during this period:

"In answer to your question regarding M23s for Tom. He may have spoken to either Teddy Mayer or Phil Kerr about M23s but I would have been involved if there had been any serious discussion about selling him cars.

We did not make or sell any M23s for any persons other than the two, one new and one ex works to BS fabs.

The only chassis that I know about which is still in a crate is the one I was building at Mclarens, 23/7 and believe that it is still in its crate, in storage at Mclarens."

I find it almost inconceivable that the Chief Mechanic would be unaware of even a tub being built and sent to Tom, so the mystery deepens...

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 19:47

Yes, that was in reply to my post that said

"I have Mr Critcher staying with me in France at the moment, and we checked a few books on this. In David Tremayne's Racers Apart, Tom actually said he ordered the cars from Pat, and had one delivered, which he says "is still in the crate". Kevin also mentioned it to me once, and said that his dad didn't have the heart to see it built, in case someone other than Roger drove it. Maybe a little more digging!!??

I have made this more specific as I was recently told it HAD been built up and painted!