The new Snetterton

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:24

just stumbled upon this http://snetterton.mo...-extension.aspx

Looks fantastic but I cant help feeling a tinge of sadness as Snetterton was one of the least changed circuits in the last 30 years and had kept that surreal WW2 airfield feel about it, during a quiet moment in the mornings or evenings you could almost hear those huge bombers thundering down the old runways.

It's about 28 years since I last raced there, although it was 120 miles away I always felt at home there, I loved those wide fast flowing corners, oh well things move on, hopefully for the better.

Advertisement

#2 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 18:49

For me, when they took out the old fast Russells, was the real change to the circuit. It was a real challenge and you felt you were being properly tested. I was lucky enough to ride the long circuit in 1981 with Bemsee but I believe even this was not the original circuit as Corums to Riches was a straight but I'm sure I will be put right on this if I'm wrong. From what I've seen of the new layout the 200 circuit won't be much changed from what they have now. Sears will be a bit of a chicane and out of Corums will keep turning to a new Russells. I look forward to riding the new 300 parts. Which pits will they use as there will be two sets from what I see of the layout. The latest Silverstone layout is highly praised by bikes and cars alike and I hope the same will be said of Snetterton.

#3 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 19:46

Yes that is correct Russell was added for 1965, from 1952 to 1964 it was indeed straight from out of Corum, Russell was much tighter then similar to last years layout but was eased in 1967 till the re tightened 1990 version was introduced, then eased again in 1993 to pretty much how it was up to now.

#4 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 21:50

The old Russells before they tightened it is how I last rode it, if I remember correctly it was a teeth clenched fourth gear job on a TZ350.

I think the tightening came shortly after Rob Mac and Ian Bell went down together in a big accident on TZ750's.

#5 pete beale

pete beale

• 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 23:26

:confused:

Yes, why the need to so radically change the character of the place ? Looks shite to me.

Dont knock it till youve tried it..

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 23:56

Yes that is correct Russell was added for 1965, from 1952 to 1964 it was indeed straight from out of Corum, Russell was much tighter then similar to last years layout but was eased in 1967 till the re tightened 1990 version was introduced, then eased again in 1993 to pretty much how it was up to now.

Prior to Russell there was a very fast left hand kink between Coram and Riches (Paddock Bend) and I believe the Russell chicane ( used in the loosest sense of the word) was put in due to a number of nasty accidents where vehicles lost control in Paddock Bend and ended up in the pit area. Given how fast it was, all Russell did was ensure that, generally, any accident ended up on the other side of the circuit from the pits, assuming the vehicle concerned got anywhere near the apex of the left hander !!

#7 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:10

For me, when they took out the old fast Russells, was the real change to the circuit. It was a real challenge and you felt you were being properly tested. I was lucky enough to ride the long circuit in 1981 with Bemsee but I believe even this was not the original circuit as Corums to Riches was a straight but I'm sure I will be put right on this if I'm wrong.......

I rode in that meeting at the end of May '81. Russells was definately there as to this day I still vividly picture passing someone on the penultimate lap going into it only to have my bike seize and throw me off a short time later as I sat up for Riches.

Although I understand why it was done I was never very keen on "Symmonds Folly." I loved the run from the Bombhole all the way to Riches and like you I felt there was a real challenge to Russells then.

#8 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:34

Yes, why the need to so radically change the character of the place ? Looks shite to me.

I can understand some of your feelings on this as I think the Mallory changes really have taken something away from the track but one saving grace is that we get to ride pretty much the old circuit at the Festival of 1000 Bikes. Safety is a priority I know but you can take away the soul of a circuit with some of the things they do. However I think with Snetterton they have mainly added track to the circuit without taking away the heart of it. The run into the Esses, down into the Bombhole and the fast drive through Corums is still there so I look forward to trying it.

#9 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 14:37

One thing that worried me when I saw the new infield plan was the amount of area where track running in opposite directions appears to be quite close together.

Obviously this will be segregated by banking/gravel traps/air fences etc to ensure nobody's wreckage ends up on the other side of the track heading for oncoming traffic but this will mean potentially not much run off either, it's hard to get an accurate idea from the plan but I did the computer simulation video lap at the bottom of the page last night and it looked mighty close in a few places.

#10 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 20:18

I raced there when it was allmost all the original concrete runways with oil drums as markers.The original layout is long gone as it had the Norwich straight with hairpin at end and as said the pit straight which was a blast from Coram Curve to Riches bend Revett straight did not exist in them days and what was known as the bomb hole at the then esses was a real dip where you often got a tank slapper on. What is named as Russell's (after Jim Russell a formula 500cc car champion who ran a driving school at the circuit, was originally installed in the mid 60's to slow the speeds down for the lap/timekeepers. The first time it was used,with a new surface and poor joint to original, in the rain there was multiple crashes including Mike hailwood Bill Ivy and many other top riders 11 in total so they shortened the race and declared peter Williams the winner. Incidently Mrs Riches who was involved with Mr Sears in bringing Snetterton into being in the 50's hence Sears and Riches died a few weeks back I believe in her 90's.

#11 themenace

themenace

• 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 21:58

Yes Snetterton was a brilliant circuit used to race there in the late 70s early 80s holds special memory's for me as I met my wife there , she was a marshal. used to love racing there great atmosphere fast and usually close racing and russels was great when you got the hang of it .
But time marches on and bikes have changed so much that unfortunately the circuits have to change to suit them just hope that's its an improvement not just messed up like some other tracks have been over the last few years

#12 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:23

Yes Snetterton was a brilliant circuit used to race there in the late 70s early 80s holds special memory's for me as I met my wife there , she was a marshal. used to love racing there great atmosphere fast and usually close racing and russels was great when you got the hang of it .
But time marches on and bikes have changed so much that unfortunately the circuits have to change to suit them just hope that's its an improvement not just messed up like some other tracks have been over the last few years

Indeed lets hope it is still a great circuit to ride & watch at? :well:

Edited by picblanc, 06 February 2011 - 09:24.

#13 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 17:02

Indeed lets hope it is still a great circuit to ride & watch at? :well:

THe "circuit blurb" seems to suggest a fantastic watching experience, however, Snetteron is open and therefore suffers from wind and when it rains it's cold and wet and miserable (guess I don't have to tell anyone that...)

I loved the fast Russell bend flat out-ish flip left right (on a 250 LC!) it was a corner that I could make up some ground on.

No grandstands?

When it was wet and cold we used to hide in the esses grandstand was my saviour several times over.