Photo

Racing cars in museums

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:08

I was attempting to see if a topic already existed for this but I hope that this may start some debate and maybe attract a comment or two!

Many general transport museums - and some non-transport museums too - include competition vehicles within their displays. Quite often these are exhibited out of context and with the passing of time their continued display may be brought into question. One such car is an ex-Alain Prost Renault RE40 Formula one car displayed in the Musee des Arts et Metiers in Paris that I visted last Wednesday.

The car is displayed as part of a fairly recent construction in the museum's original building - a church - that was renovated in 2000. The museum is roughly the equivalent (although much smaller) of London's Science Museum and contains many extremely important exhibits including Nicholas Joseph Cugnot's orginal Fardier of 1769/71, the Clement Ader Ariel monoplane and Foucault's Pendulum.

Posted Image

There is also the Amedee Bolle L'Obeisante steam carriage of 1873 and several early cars. The Renualt is displayed at the first level of the raised structure and, when compared to the "sculpture" that Birmingham's think tank museum has thrown together, this one is accessible and affords delightful views of the rest of the church's interior and other exhibits.

There was no caption, however, and no-one seemed to know what its actual identity was or its chassis number but may have been gifted (loaned?) by Renault.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great to see it...but some detail would have been welcome.

One of the other delightful exhibits on the structure was this Leyat aerocar. Now, imagine taking that for an MOT!

Posted Image

Museum website

Edited by Pullman99, 06 February 2011 - 13:34.

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:17

Excellent photo's Ian love the Leyat :up:

Barry Boor started a Museum thread some time ago.

#3 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:41

Barry Boor started a museum thread some time ago.

Hi Ralph! I'd forgotten Barry's earlier thread and must have missed it on my search. Perhaps Twinny would merge these two if appropriate.

The National Motor Museum (they have a Leyat reproduction by the way!) is currently building a new mezzanine which will allow additional display space above the record breakers area and - I think - replace some of the "sculptural" elements that were installed some years ago and which take several important racing cars well above convenient viewing level.

Edited by Pullman99, 06 February 2011 - 13:17.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:53

Can we merge this into the museum thread Twinny?