Photo

Dennis Ainsworth

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 16:15

Hi Guys I Was a Racer in the 60s and noticed on your pages [11] My Bikes 350 Manx and G50 With Number 7 on Was my Old Bikes I was Riding for Ray Petty

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 16:53

Hi Guys I Was a Racer in the 60s and noticed on your pages [11] My Bikes 350 Manx and G50 With Number 7 on Was my Old Bikes I was Riding for Ray Petty

Hi Dennis, really good to see you here. I well remember you and your distinctive hang off style. I took the pics you mentioned at Brands in, I think, '63? Welcome aboard.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 07 February 2011 - 17:39.

#3 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 17:42

Yes , welcome to the forum , Dennis :up: remember you well :wave:

#4 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 18:00

Dennis, I think this may have been the Brands meeting where you had a really good tear up with John Hartle on his Commerfords Manx? The old memory's not what it was though. And is that you on the left?
Posted Image

#5 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:56

Yes , welcome to the forum , Dennis :up: remember you well :wave:

Hi Russell That Is me With my hand on the G50 seat That was the first outing for the High Level exhaust which Petty Developed And burnt my Leg It was me that was dicing with John Hartle I Won John was killed a short time after at Scarborough Regards Den

#6 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:00

Hi Dennis, really good to see you here. I well remember you and your distinctive hang off style. I took the pics you mentioned at Brands in, I think, '63? Welcome aboard.

Hi Nice to be on The Web Page Regards Den

#7 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 21:00

Hi Russell That Is me With my hand on the G50 seat That was the first outing for the High Level exhaust which Petty Developed And burnt my Leg It was me that was dicing with John Hartle I Won John was killed a short time after at Scarborough Regards Den

Anyone who could hold a candle to John Hartle has my deepest respect, was John the neatest rider ever. A few pics of JH perhaps.
Chris

Edited by joeninety, 10 February 2011 - 21:17.

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:38

Not the sharpest of images of Dennis about to pounce on John at Paddock Bend, October '63.
Posted Image

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 13:22

Dennis, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more about your career. From my perspective of a young bloke spectating, you were suddenly up there with the quickest riders in the country, with '63 being a really big year for you. So how much racing had you done before you were giving the quicks some hurry up?

#10 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 16:29

Not the sharpest of images of Dennis about to pounce on John at Paddock Bend, October '63.
Posted Image

Hi Russell Im New to all this Chat Do not know how to do the chats I really dont Mind talking about my Racing its good to hear that others are interested I remember the dice with John Hartle The G50 i Road i bought from Fred Nevell But sold it and Used Ray Pettys 500 Until my CRASH in The Dutch 1964 Practice Regards Den

#11 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 17:16

Hi Russell Im New to all this Chat Do not know how to do the chats I really dont Mind talking about my Racing its good to hear that others are interested I remember the dice with John Hartle The G50 i Road i bought from Fred Nevell But sold it and Used Ray Pettys 500 Until my CRASH in The Dutch 1964 Practice Regards Den

Dennis, we're pleased to have you contribute in anyway you want. I've dug out an old programme from Brands 1963 with penciled in results (wonderful thing that ebay) and I'm reminded that you were no slouch on the G50 either; only Minter got across the line ahead of you in the unlimited race that day, one that included Read, Hartle, Duff, Degens, et al. You were fast, Dennis, and certainly exciting to watch.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 12 February 2011 - 19:21.

#12 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 19:09

Hi New to this game Computers Did you ever see me Race Regards Den

#13 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 19:12

Hi Nice to be on The Web Page Regards Den

Hi I will try to find Photos and put some on But new to this Web Page so may take a while I Liked John as he came from Cheshire as i did Regards Den

#14 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 19:17

Hi Russell The G50 Was really Fast and won many races on it The last race on that Bike i won in France The Fnal ofthe european Championship In the race i lapped the guy who came Second He was the French Champion That was my last race on that 1963 Then i went on Pettys Manx Regards Den

#15 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:01

The last race on that Bike i won in France The Fnal ofthe european Championship In the race i lapped the guy who came Second He was the French Champion That was my last race on that 1963

Indeed :up: Click on the link below and scroll down the page to Avignon, 8th september 1963 ( although they have you on a norton...)
http://racingmemo.fr.....ANCE 1963.htm

#16 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:10

Hi New to this game Computers Did you ever see me Race Regards Den

I did, Den, at Brands. In the days when riders stayed tucked in even on the corners, your method of hanging off the bike in a daring way on the bends was pretty sensational. Of all the guys you raced against, who did you rate the highest?

#17 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:11

Hi Russell The G50 Was really Fast and won many races on it The last race on that Bike i won in France The Fnal ofthe european Championship In the race i lapped the guy who came Second He was the French Champion That was my last race on that 1963 Then i went on Pettys Manx Regards Den

Fred with one of his G50's, Den, in what I think must be 1960. Could be your bike? The Manx is also Fred's, a 350 he bought from Paul Dunstall after the 7R he had ordered was delayed in arriving. He rode it in the Manx in '60.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Russell Burrows, 14 February 2011 - 14:22.

#18 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:38

I remember this race well. I still have the program http://img843.images...4885/dennis.png
You actually stopped for a drink I think much to the annoyance of your Dad. How are you Dennis long time no see. Ken

#19 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 16:29

Fred with one of his G50's, Den, in what I think must be 1960. Could be your bike? The Manx is also Fred's, a 350 he bought from Paul Dunstall after the 7R he had ordered was delayed in arriving. He rode it in the Manx in '60.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi Russell The Photo of Fred Im not sure if thet Bike was mine Think mine was Later You asked when i first Started Racing i started in 1960 when i was 17 on a old 7R Then went on to win most British race circuits Finished 9th Dutch TT in 1963 Crashed in 1964 Practice But came back to finish 9 th at the Dutch in 1965 My injuries were so bad it finished my racing I should not have raced in 1965 But old racers never die Regards Den

Advertisement

#20 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 20:33

I would like to ask Dennis if he remembers Peter Middleton and have you any memories of Olivers Mount.
Chris

#21 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 14:29

I would like to ask Dennis if he remembers Peter Middleton and have you any memories of Olivers Mount.
Chris

Hi chris i do remember peter but not very well i know he was a good rider . I did not ride at the mount why i dont know. Nice to talk to you all the best Den .

#22 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 15:46

Hi chris i do remember peter but not very well i know he was a good rider . I did not ride at the mount why i dont know. Nice to talk to you all the best Den .

Thanks Dennis
I remember Peter saying how he got the lap record at Scarborough the 350cc I think it was. Peter said he held the throttle wide open through the start - finish instead of feathering it and it was just enough. I haven't seen him for years such a gentle quiet bloke.
Chris

#23 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 17:29

Profuse apologies to everyone concerned for my claim of about a year ago that Peter Middleton had been killed in the 60's in a road bike accident. Chris has explained that he used to run a bike shop up north and was alive and well when last seen about a decade ago. Good news then. I think I may have confused Peter with Peter Chatterton :eek:

#24 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 20:01

Profuse apologies to everyone concerned for my claim of about a year ago that Peter Middleton had been killed in the 60's in a road bike accident. Chris has explained that he used to run a bike shop up north and was alive and well when last seen about a decade ago. Good news then. I think I may have confused Peter with Peter Chatterton :eek:

Peter was spotted by my brother only last week driving around Birstall :)

#25 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:07

Posted Image

The same October, '63 meeting mentioned earlier.

Posted Image

Dennis, Read's Manx in this shot from May '63 looks to be very like the one you were on later the same year. No high pipe but could it be the same bike?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 11 March 2011 - 12:32.

#26 Robin127

Robin127

• 506 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 15:59

Posted Image

Seeing that photo reminded me of Griff Jenkins. I came across a book he'd "written" in of all places my school library in the early 70's. If I remember correctly it was about how he got into racing and detailed his racing career during the early sixties. I think he worked for a while as an instructor at Chas. Mortimer Snr.'s racing school.

There were some interesting items in the book about racing "techniques" that were common at the time. Things like riders reaching over and grabbing the gear lever of an opponents bike which caused the rider to immediately check up. He also described going around Paddock at Brands with the throttle wide open but with the back brake full on, once at the bottom the brake was released and the bike accelerated away better than the conventional way of taking the corner.

#27 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 22:40

Things like riders reaching over and grabbing the gear lever of an opponents bike which caused the rider to immediately check up. (robin127)

Brake lever or kill switch was a common one in my racing, it happened to me once but never again as i found my left foot would slip off my foot rest and knab the other guys bear lever. Amaizing how fast they back off and talk gets around the paddock!

Kevin

Edited by dommieracer, 12 March 2011 - 22:40.

#28 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 19:33

Posted Image

The same October, '63 meeting mentioned earlier.

Posted Image

Dennis, Read's Manx in this shot from May '63 looks to be very like the one you were on later the same year. No high pipe but could it be the same bike?

Hi Russell Thanks for being in touch, Yes that was the Manx i bought from Read Then i was with Petty And he tuned the bike to his spec Putting the high pipe on Which i think was a first. Through the Forum I have been intouch with a long lost Mate Ken German hope to meet him soon Regards Den

#29 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 19:45

Hi Russell Thanks for being in touch, Yes that was the Manx i bought from Read Then i was with Petty And he tuned the bike to his spec Putting the high pipe on Which i think was a first. Through the Forum I have been intouch with a long lost Mate Ken German hope to meet him soon Regards Den

Thanks for the info, Dennis. Good stuff the old forum, aye.

#30 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 15:34

Dennis, is that you to the right of number 11 in this Assen shot from '65?
Posted Image

Edited by Russell Burrows, 23 April 2011 - 17:44.

#31 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 20:51

I think this is Dennis at a Silverstone practice session, '63. I think too this is the ex Fed Neville G50 that Dennis has earlier referred to.
Or is it ? The helmet design appears slightly different ?
Posted Image
Courtesy of vintage-motorcyles.com

Edited by Russell Burrows, 11 October 2011 - 20:58.

#32 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 23:00

I think this is Dennis at a Silverstone practice session, '63. I think too this is the ex Fed Neville G50 that Dennis has earlier referred to.
Posted Image

Ken, do you rekon this is Dennis?

#33 exracerden

exracerden

• 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 19:16

Posted Image

Hi Sorry not been around been Busy Yes that is me on the G50 at Freezing Silverstone I was invited to Snetterton Race of Aces a couple of weeks ago It was a Good Day Have now been invited to the NEC in November The Classic Bike Show Going with my old friend Ken German Also invited to go on the Honda forum Should be good Hope to see you there put a face to the name would be good to catch up with you Regards Den

#34 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:14

Hi Sorry not been around been Busy Yes that is me on the G50 at Freezing Silverstone I was invited to Snetterton Race of Aces a couple of weeks ago It was a Good Day Have now been invited to the NEC in November The Classic Bike Show Going with my old friend Ken German Also invited to go on the Honda forum Should be good Hope to see you there put a face to the name would be good to catch up with you Regards Den

Good on ya Dennis, good to see you back with us.