Photo

US road racing between 1928 & 1941

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 05:37

I think this just about covers the period of the Automobile Racing Club of America, that period of magical road racing that took place in the USA.
Who has photos, details of events, cars and drivers to add and make this an interesting thread?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 06:40

This period is covered by John C Reuter's "American Road Racing", published in 1963, and a more recent book by Joel Finn which I can't afford

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 06:42

Sorry, that should be Rueter, not Reuter

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 06:45

Sorry, David, I'm not looking for a book, but for discussion about it and new information.

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2001 - 01:58

Ray,

Don't get despondent about the lack of activity on this topic. It reflects the reality of the period. The ARCA was strictly in the hobby category and the work of Rueter and Finn have served almost as deterrents to further work in this arena. However, having said that...

...it is one of the reasons I am also looking at this basic period ans attempting to sort out exactly what the scene looked like and why. Not just road racing, but racing in the upper level leagues. Easier said than done.

Be patient....

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 02 February 2001 - 23:34

To aid my patience I brought it to the top again...

#7 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:44

In the Nuvolari/Brno thread Mr. (Colonel?) Capps speaks of the reviving of older threads. To that end I'm bringing this one back up. This subject has been touched on in a variety of threads but I chose this one to revive as its title best-describes and encompasses the subject.

A preface: For almost half my life now (I'm 33) I have been doing research on ARCA, pre- and immediate post-Hitler war American road racing, the early years of SCCA, and the tracks and people that helped build the sport. Slowly (PAINFULLY slowly) I have been accumulating info on George Weaver and Thompson Raceway and have built up a decent amount of info but pre-war material (besides what has been presented in both the Finn and Rueter books) is impossible to come by. Two weeks ago I finally, through fate/luck/mercy, acquired a goldmine in the form of a box full of stuff from one of the ARCA's founding members, via a friend of my family's.

Included in the box are press clippings, newsletters, race results, photos (from DAVART and others,) regional executive notes, ephemera, and all kinds of other things. I am in the process of going through everything...here's a peek at a few things I've come across so far:

Posted Image

Briarcliff Trophy Race, Nov. 11, 1934 - Hugh Bancroft (MG J2) followed by Langdon Quimby (Willys 77) and Jack Hill (also in a J2)

Posted Image

Round the Houses Race, August 10, 1940 - Tom Dewart in the ex-Collier, ex-Dancing Daughters MG PB special "Leonidis."

Posted Image

Roosevelt Field, early 1935 - Factory-backed Willys 77 Special undergoing testing before being painted.

Posted Image

Random club correspondence...you took the good with a lot of bad back then.

Posted Image

Newsletter and second iteration of the club patch, designed by Bill Mitchell.

If people are interested I will post more later (and will revive some other old threads...everything from the 'American Specials Redux' one to one on Alfa 308s.) I am compiling a list of all the know cars that competed in ARCA events...I think I'll finish that maybe...we shall see.

Cris

#8 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:51

WOW!
Thanks for sharing this, Cris

#9 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:33

In what town was the 'round the houses' race on Aug 10 1940?

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:11

Presumbly Alexandria Bay, NY, which was venue of earlier races of this name

#11 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:32

If people are interested I will post more later

Yes please!!

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:44

Originally posted by Cris
.....A preface: For almost half my life now (I'm 33) I have been doing research on ARCA, pre- and immediate post-Hitler war American road racing, the early years of SCCA, and the tracks and people that helped build the sport. Slowly (PAINFULLY slowly) I have been accumulating info on George Weaver and Thompson Raceway and have built up a decent amount of info but pre-war material (besides what has been presented in both the Finn and Rueter books) is impossible to come by. Two weeks ago I finally, through fate/luck/mercy, acquired a goldmine in the form of a box full of stuff from one of the ARCA's founding members, via a friend of my family's.

Included in the box are press clippings, newsletters, race results, photos (from DAVART and others,) regional executive notes, ephemera, and all kinds of other things.....

Priceless! Let it keep on rolling in!

.....I am in the process of going through everything...here's a peek at a few things I've come across so far:

Posted Image

Briarcliff Trophy Race, Nov. 11, 1934 - Hugh Bancroft (MG J2) followed by Langdon Quimby (Willys 77) and Jack Hill (also in a J2)

That is just so Toodyay! Just ask Terry Walker...

.....If people are interested I will post more later (and will revive some other old threads...everything from the 'American Specials Redux' one to one on Alfa 308s.) I am compiling a list of all the know cars that competed in ARCA events...I think I'll finish that maybe...we shall see.

I can't wait...

Please give emphasis to the Specials. This is a real breath of fresh air... over five years...

#13 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 15:23

Glad to see people are still interested.

Yes, the Round the Houses shot is Alexandria Bay, NY, up in the Thousand Islands. Alexandria Bay was a great and successful location for the club in terms of entry, fans, and community support. I believe that shot is the hotel curve, but from a slightly different angle than is usually shown.

Ray, the Specials are of particular interest to me, too. Looking over the cars that ran with the club, the majority could be considered Specials of one type or another (with a few notable exceptions like the Maserati V8 Ri cars, the Alfas, a few Bugattis that weren't re-powered, and some MGs.) We still get to see many of these run, if not regularly, at least often enough over here, as so many of them have been tracked down and are in the hands of VSCCA and other enthusiasts. I will post a list of cars later but I do know that of all the cars that during the club's short history, very few are unaccounted for...I am seriously considering trying to do something on the individual histories of each of them some time soon.

I'll scan some more things tonight...in the meantime, here's an old shot of an ex-ARCA car dissasembled for restoration...any guesses as to marque, model, and chassis number?

Posted Image

Cris

#14 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 16:16

Is that '4504" while it was being restored?

#15 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 18:59

Indeed it is. I have to ask, what gave it away? Not too many people could have seen one of these unclothed so I'm curious as to what detail(s)in the photo gave it away?

Cris

#16 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 19:37

Hard to explain, but it seemed absolutely obvious to me.

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 19:52

I think the engine and rear suspension bits were definitely a giveaway there...

Don, nice to see you in on this. I'm sure Mike would be pleased too, this is going to be very informative.

Is there much known about the minutae of the Willys factory cars?

#18 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 20:09

Re: The unpainted Willys 77

Painted in this picture, but in another hemishere........

http://clubs.hemming...willyrac_19.htm

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 20:39

Fancy that! A site for Willys-powered race cars...

Wonder if they'd like this pic of the Wimilcar to go with the later model stuff they have?

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 22:36

I suppose, but there was more than one V8Ri that ran in ARCA, and they had similar bodywork, unlike 4501 whose cowl shape didn't include the bumpout that you can see on the framework for the body. Actually, 4504's cowl may have not had this feature originally and was changed over when Weaver switched engines. Regardless, nice work.

I have some more info on the Willys cars that ran which I can post later. Interesting to see that one of them was sold and made it out of the country so soon after it was built.

Cris

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I think the engine and rear suspension bits were definitely a giveaway there...

Don, nice to see you in on this. I'm sure Mike would be pleased too, this is going to be very informative.

Is there much known about the minutae of the Willys factory cars?

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 23:21

Originally posted by Cris
I suppose, but there was more than one V8Ri that ran in ARCA, and they had similar bodywork, unlike 4501 whose cowl shape didn't include the bumpout that you can see on the framework for the body. Actually, 4504's cowl may have not had this feature originally and was changed over when Weaver switched engines. Regardless, nice work.

I have some more info on the Willys cars that ran which I can post later. Interesting to see that one of them was sold and made it out of the country so soon after it was built.

Cris

Did you see this thread Cris?

Does it teach you anything or can you add to it?

:)

#22 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:51

I didn't see that one but I will respond there with the Willys info that I have. I will try and do it right now actually.

Cris