• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kento11

kento11

• 137 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 19:10

no one looks at this poor first attempt at a blog, have a look
http://britracing.bl...rit-racing.html

Edited by kento11, 11 February 2011 - 14:55.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 19:16

So, a £15 prise won by a Ford Calaxie. Oh joy!

#3 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 19:38

"Jim Clark was third for ₤5."

Well I do declare!. After that, it's easy to see why Jim became a tax exile.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 19:40

I'm sorry, but there's nothing in your item on the 1964 Aintree 200 that's of any real interest - it just seems to be a list of who was there and how much money some of them won. I take it you were there, so would have been very interested in your personal reminiscences about, for example, Ginther's spectacular practice accident, or Clark's charge to the front in the early laps. You tell us he crashed, but not that he was forced off the road trying to lap a couple of back markers. Tell us the story as you saw it. The item about Stewart's helmet is much more interesting, because it's a personal anecdote. :)

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 21:46

The item about Stewart's helmet is much more interesting, because it's a personal anecdote. :)

Yes, particularly as young JYS wasn't in the habit of wearing a peak (which the author describes as a 'visor') on his helmet in 1964 and didn't wear one while winning the Monaco F3 race, according to all the photo evidence I can find. Presumably the 'Berrill' brothers, to whom he refers, were the Birrell brothers.

Some quite evocative period shots of the pit straight at Aintree, though.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:11

I'm probably on the wrong thread to say this, but I have yet to see anything on 60's racing - it all looks like 64's to me

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:22

At Charterhall the Tojeiro would have been driven by Jackie Stewart as Jimmy had retired from racing some years earlier. That day the Tojeiros were driven by Jackie and by Tommy Dickson but I don't know their race numbers.

#8 kento11

kento11

• 137 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 23:07

Mr. Murray, I thought the level of prize money was interesting. It rather points out the difference of the sport of motor racing in the 60’s (yes 1964 is in the 60”s) and the business of motor racing more recently. The Aintree 200 was probably the first major international motor race I attended and I was not familiar with many of the participants. I certainly remember the Galaxies and Minis side by side and wondering what happened to Jim Clark when he failed to appear. As Jack Brabham was mounting the podium he tossed his helmet to his son David? Saying, to go throw it in the car.. I got his autograph on the program, which was the first of a small collection gathered over the next 15 or so years. Yes Mr. Cox, I did mean the Birrell brothers, Graham and Gerry, I think plus Jennie, but my memory leaves much to be desired. And lastly visor, peak or skip (as I think Duncan called it) we certainly are two nations divided by a common language.
I may post a few pictures from Rest and Be Thankful soon. These were all old slides that I have scanned recently and were taken with an old camera with only a standard focal length lens.

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 00:27

I may post a few pictures from Rest and Be Thankful soon. These were all old slides that I have scanned recently and were taken with an old camera with only a standard focal length lens.

Please do. The more the better.
Roger Lund

#10 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 00:59

The close up picture of Graham Hill's helmet brings to mind, not for the first time, how... what's the word?... knackered will do.... many drivers' helmets were back then. This picture depicts it very well. (Not to mention the saggy elastic on his goggles and the rather battered condition of the goggles themselves.)

In an era when one imagines current drivers get through several £15,000 Schuberths and Arais in a season I wonder how long top drivers kept their helmets in the days before F1 was awash with money and regulations?

#11 kento11

kento11

• 137 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:40

Well being techno challenged Rest and Be Thankful seems to show as February on my blog, but it is there.

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:59

As a recently addicted blogger here are a few lessons I have learned.

1. Know your audience.

2. Always assume the person reading your blog knows absolutely nothing about what your blogging about.

3. Use all available means to research your blog's before you publish, TNF is great for this, I love contributing answers to other peoples questions here as much as having mine answered, remember if you do use a forum for research it costs nothing to mention and link it in your blog. The more links you have in your blog the more it will get noticed.

4. I'd make the pictures your posting a minimum of 20 cm wide, no worries about what else show's up this is a blog not a book, dust is like faded paint work, the patina of authenticity.

5. Network, network, network use FB, Twitter plus add a link to your e-mail signature AND all your forum signatures, remember no matter how much you network the best leads come from other people recommending you, it never ceases to amaze me how a mention by a member of an owners club on an owners club website directs traffic, though my best ever lead to date came from someone who mentioned my blog on a German penny share forum !

6. Have fun practising the art of blogging daily. One can learn a lot from rigourous practice.

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:00

... motor racing in the 60’s (yes 1964 is in the 60”s)

1964 is in the 1960s, not 1960's

1960's racing means the racing of 1960
1960s racing means the racing of the 1960s, which is what I think is intended

As I said, probably not the right thread to make this point :)

#14 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:10

Perhaps the closing sentence was the most apposite in that little knuckle rapping exercise. :rolleyes:

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:01

Yes Mr. Cox, I did mean the Birrell brothers, Graham and Gerry, I think plus Jennie, but my memory leaves much to be desired. And lastly visor, peak or skip (as I think Duncan called it) we certainly are two nations divided by a common language.

I didn't mean to appear dismissive, Kent - Like Tim Murray, I found the piece bout the painting of Stewart's helmet the most interesting piece on the blog and was intrigued by the fact that Duncan distictly recalled the painting of the visor/peak, even though it wasn't used. Regarding the description used, I think most people tend to think of a visor as being a covering to mask the eyes. By the way, the Maserati which features in your Rest-and-be-Thankful piece was then owned by Lord Doune, of the Doune Motor Museum, and is chassis 3011, the ex-Straight car. Some interesting photos here - hope to see some more.

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:23

The close up picture of Graham Hill's helmet brings to mind, not for the first time, how... what's the word?... knackered will do.... many drivers' helmets were back then. This picture depicts it very well. (Not to mention the saggy elastic on his goggles and the rather battered condition of the goggles themselves.)

In an era when one imagines current drivers get through several £15,000 Schuberths and Arais in a season I wonder how long top drivers kept their helmets in the days before F1 was awash with money and regulations?

Didn't most drivers back then race with ex-RAF WW2 pilots' goggles, what was usually referred to as 'War Surplus' ?

#17 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:18

Kent

The vintage car in the third image of your Aintree blog looks very familiar, but I'm not sure if it is the car I think it is (a Salmson, which I haven't seen since about six weeks after your photo was taken).

I'd be very grateful if you could check your programme and let me know the driver and car.

Thanks

JohnD

#18 kento11

kento11

• 137 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:24

Kent

The vintage car in the third image of your Aintree blog looks very familiar, but I'm not sure if it is the car I think it is (a Salmson, which I haven't seen since about six weeks after your photo was taken).

I'd be very grateful if you could check your programme and let me know the driver and car.

Thanks

JohnD

It is number 18 listed as a 1917 Speedway Ford entered by N.E.J.Bradshaw

#19 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:36

The photos are the best part of this blog. In my opinion, a blog needs what marketing types call a "unique selling point", and having more of a theme, perhaps pictures, running through yours would make it more appealing.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but spellchecking your posts in Word before you post them would help a lot with clarity.

Advertisement

#20 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:20

It is number 18 listed as a 1917 Speedway Ford entered by N.E.J.Bradshaw

Thanks for that. Definitely not what I thought it was, though. I'll have to go on looking for a photo of the Salmson.

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:41

I believe your Chaparral Cannonball at Rest and Be is Jack Walton's Chapman Mercury, which he ran for many years on the hills. Do we have any thoughts on the blown single seater, poss Lotus 22/Meldrum, in the 7th picture, and what was a Mason Spl mk 1? Anything to do with hillclimber Chris Mason from York? Lovely colour repro, by the way, on 3011. Those are nice shots of Tony Marsh and Mrs Mickel, too.
Roger Lund

edited to read Chapman Mercury

edit
Jenks 'book 3011 has the car on the hills, via the Lord Doune, in 1964 resplendent in bright new red paint, with the car fettled and driven by Forres' finest, Ray Fielding

Edited by bradbury west, 14 February 2011 - 23:17.

#22 kento11

kento11

• 137 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 23:06

I believe your Chaparral Cannonball at Rest and Be is Jack Walton's Walton Chrysler/Cadillac, delete as applicable, which he ran for many years on the hills. Do we have any thoughts on the blown single seater, poss Lotus 22/Meldrum, in the 7th picture, and what was a Mason Spl mk 1? Anything to do with hillclimber Chris Mason from York? Lovely colour repro, by the way, on 3011. Those are nice shots of Tony Marsh and Mrs Mickel, too.
Roger Lund

The Chaparral was entered and driven by Mr. H. and Mrs. M Parkin of Parkin Eng. Ltd.
There was a Lotus 20 entered but I don't think that is what it is.
Here is another picture of it.
Posted Image
The Mason was entered by J.A.T.Murray

#23 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:51

The Chaparral was entered and driven by Mr. H. and Mrs. M Parkin of Parkin Eng. Ltd.

I have now done what I should have done in the first place- check in the Nye/Falconer Chaparral book. The car is a Chaparral 1, chassis 005 bought in '63 by Phil Scragg, who had a horrible season with it, " it would not go straight, and would not turn corners," plus the engine did not deliver the expected power, quote his mechanic. In Dec '63 it was sold to Rotheram agricultural machinery manufacturer Howard Parkin, who then set about converting it to 4wd, and thus it became the Cannon Ball Special.
Usual disclaimers; for thos enot familiar with the work, the Nye / Falconer Chaparral tome is everything you would expect it to be. Published by Haynes in 1992.
Roger Lund