Photo

Racing heroes

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 21:38

How many ex racers have the ultimate hero, mine was Jarno Saarinen. Hailwood is an obvious choice but lets set him aside for the moment.

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 21:44

Saarinen for me too, as a 12 year old I saw him on his one and only visit to Scarborough, I thought he was amazing.

Had he lived just how many titles would he have won?

#3 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 21:55

Saarinen for me too, as a 12 year old I saw him on his one and only visit to Scarborough, I thought he was amazing.

I think we would have been unbeatable till the appearance of KR in the w/c rounds in 78

Edited by Rennmax, 11 February 2011 - 17:02.

#4 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:01

I remember Mick Grant saying how Saarinen pulled him on instead of just beating the likes of Tony Rutter he was drawn into another world where someone like Tony was years behind in third place. I always believe racing is of the mind you get pulled along by the competition. Saarinen did his home work he borrowed a road bike and lapped Olivers Mount over and over.

Edited by joeninety, 10 February 2011 - 22:14.

#5 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:25

Yep he borrowed a Suzuki GT380 or 550 from Dowsons in the town and spent the week before the meeting living in his camper van and riding around the circuit, I remember he did one of his laps of honour on the bike during the meeting.

I remember the boss of Dowsons saying in the press at the time 'we were a bit worried about lending the bike out as we had a buyer lined up for it, but when he found out the rider had been Saarinen he couldnt wait to get his hands on it!!'

During the meeting Saarinen became the first person to lap the Mount under two minutes, it was a great meeting with Agostini & other stars there and also loads of continental circus guys who i'd read about but never seen before.

Edited to say - sorry about the thread drift but while we're on the subject check out this meeting here with photo's & video

http://www.oliversmo...month=September

Edited by Paul Collins, 10 February 2011 - 22:30.

#6 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:47

Yep he borrowed a Suzuki GT380 or 550 from Dowsons in the town and spent the week before the meeting living in his camper van and riding around the circuit, I remember he did one of his laps of honour on the bike during the meeting.

I remember the boss of Dowsons saying in the press at the time 'we were a bit worried about lending the bike out as we had a buyer lined up for it, but when he found out the rider had been Saarinen he couldnt wait to get his hands on it!!'

During the meeting Saarinen became the first person to lap the Mount under two minutes, it was a great meeting with Agostini & other stars there and also loads of continental circus guys who i'd read about but never seen before.

Edited to say - sorry about the thread drift but while we're on the subject check out this meeting here with photo's & video

Very nice web page set up by Chris Machin no relation to the Machin dynasty by the way

#7 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 22:57

Very nice web page set up by Chris Machin no relation to the Machin dynasty by the way

Yes , agreed , very enjoyable :up:

#8 roadshop

roadshop

• 182 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 00:51

I guess he will always stand out as someone special, like James Dean, caught by destany at his finest hour.

#9 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:02

How many ex racers have the ultimate hero, mine was Jarno Saarinen. Hailwood is an obvious choice but lets set him aside for the moment.

Bob McIntyre would be my number one, closely followed by Jarno. Good excuse for a pic:

Posted Image

#10 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:03

Jeez, the irony ! A great pic of Jarno, but armco everywhere... another Jackie Stewart black mark. Plenty of heroes abound, from all ages. As a youngster, much as I admired Mike the Bike, even in those formative years I always idolised Jim Redman, not just for being the Honda team captain, but for paving the way for professional riders from then on. It is said Hailwood, Redman and Hugh Anderson were the main players in those early days in terms of fat contracts : good on them !
Jarno of course was universally loved, but I think Gary Hocking was equally admired in his time, especially by his fellow competitors. But for me, Kenny Roberts opened a lot of doors : trashed Sheeney's otherwise-stellar career, first to start dragging his knees bigtime, won all over the joint, on all sizes and styles of racebike : gave back to the sport by being a team owner/entrant even when it was a quixotic exercise in futility, as well as the championship-winning years, backchatted the Japanese factories, ran off-season training clinics for all who were keen at his ranch in Modesto, and did it all with humility, irony, sarcasm, and partied all the way !!

Now, THAT'S a hero ! :clap:

#11 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 14:54

:)
Posted Image

#12 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:06

Is that Alan Barnett?

#13 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:12

Is that Alan Barnett?

Yes, Paul, good aye.

#14 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:59

Jarno it is for me too, closely followed by Barry Sheene, for his comebacks after 2 horrific accidents and 2 world titles plus a lifestyle I could only dream about :D

#15 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:07

Not particularly a hero, but one of the two names I remember from the first time I went to Cadwell as a lad, I think he had No.1 - Pete Ferbrache.

The other one had the same surname as a neighbour - Freestone. I see two Freestones appear in the TT database; I've a feeling it was Pete.

Edited by Geoff E, 11 February 2011 - 17:08.

#16 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:12

Posted Image
By joeninety at 2011-02-11
Just had to post this on Dad's behalf sadly he's not to well these days.
Posted Image
By joeninety at 2011-02-11
And another for me believe it or not Harold Daniel, how he went so fast on this beggers belief when you consider the nature of the course back then. In fact I take my hat off to all those of that era.
Nice to see the pic of Alan Barnett.

Edited by joeninety, 11 February 2011 - 17:21.

#17 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:37

One of my list...coming from nowhere and clinching the championship, in fact winning each single round he took part, at his first and sadly last attempt

Posted Image

#18 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:40

[quote name='Rennmax' date='Feb 11 2011, 17:37' post='4836809']
One of my list...coming from nowhere and clinching the championship, in fact winning each single round he took part, at his first and sadly last attempt

Forgive me but is that Carlo Ubbiali ?

Edited by joeninety, 11 February 2011 - 17:45.

#19 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:45

It's not Carlo I'm afraid , but this guy beat Carlo at the TT on the Clypse course and took second place in the 250 cc race on the Mountain course. Not bad when you consider that it was his first visit to the Isle and he had to learn 2 circuits

Edited by Rennmax, 11 February 2011 - 17:59.

Advertisement

#20 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:48

No, but he beat Carlo at the TT on the Clypse course and took second place in the 250 cc race on the Mountain course. Not bad when you consider that it was his first vist to the Isle and he had to learn 2 circuits

Tarquinio Provini ?

#21 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 17:56

Tarquinio Provini ?

Sorry, it's not Tarquinio although he is also high on my list with his performance on the Morini in '63. Have a look at the fairing and the lid, it's a NSU rider

Edited by Rennmax, 11 February 2011 - 18:14.

#22 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 18:00

Rupert Hollaus... Hi Rupert :wave:

#23 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 18:03

Rupert Hollaus... Hi Rupert :wave:

Hi Russ, too easy for you... :wave: :)

#24 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 18:25

The characteristic style of Jarno, always neatly tucked in behind the screen

Posted Image

Edited by Rennmax, 11 February 2011 - 18:35.

#25 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 18:54

Posted Image

For me its this guy

HW

#26 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:24

Santiago Herrero ?

Edited by joeninety, 11 February 2011 - 20:25.

#27 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:29

The characteristic style of Jarno, always neatly tucked in behind the screen

Posted Image

The guy in front of Jarno isn't doing too well in our heroes at the moment !

#28 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:38

The guy in front of Jarno isn't doing too well in our heroes at the moment !

Well , he was and is , to me , and many others , I reckon a hero :up:
Great stylist , neat , tidy , could and did , ride anything , anywhere , and win !!! :up:
Also , very photogenic !!! :wave:

#29 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:46

Well , he was and is , to me , and many others , I reckon a hero :up:
Great stylist , neat , tidy , could and did , ride anything , anywhere , and win !!! :up:
Also , very photogenic !!! :wave:

No doubt about this but seemed to cultivate bad feelings amonst team mates didn't Bill Ivy stop to ask directions during the 125 TT ? And later on Hailwood fans.

Edited by joeninety, 11 February 2011 - 20:50.

#30 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:37

Rod is a contributor to this forum, search for posts by "yendor"
http://forums.autosp.....mp;highlite=+

Hope the link works...

edit : sorry, just realised you had actually spoken to him on the forum....maybe some "tongue in cheek" involved in your post above, then ?

Edited by philippe7, 11 February 2011 - 22:39.

#31 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:42

Rod is a contributor to this forum, search for posts by "yendor"
http://forums.autosp.....mp;highlite=+

Hope the link works...

edit : sorry, just realised you had actually spoken to him on the forum....maybe some "tongue in cheek" involved in your post above, then ?

Yep he's a good old stick and yes he was a hero of mine... err still is.

#32 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:30

Posted Image

For me its this guy

HW

Lovely pic Andy :up:

#33 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 16:48

Thanks Mick,
How about this one.Could be one of Jim's,but not sure!
Posted Image

HW

#34 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:52

Another hero, the hard boiled one

Posted Image

#35 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:57

Ray Amm?

#36 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:59

Ray Amm?

:up: :wave:

#37 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:00

:up: :wave:

Not bad for a young un am I!!? :D :wave:

#38 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:06

Not bad for a young un am I!!? :D :wave:

beyond the shadow of a doubt :kiss:

#39 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 22:01

Thanks Mick,
How about this one.Could be one of Jim's,but not sure!

HW

Not one of my paintings HW. Very nice but not my style. This is my example of the great Santi. Saw him at Brands - twas brilliant. Of course my others are SMB and Jarno (saw him at Silverstone & Mallory)

Posted Image

Edited by jaybee49, 14 February 2011 - 22:33.

Advertisement

#40 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:38

Not one of my paintings HW. Very nice but not my style. This is my example of the great Santi. Saw him at Brands - twas brilliant. Of course my others are SMB and Jarno (saw him at Silverstone & Mallory)

Posted Image

Lovely painting Jim

HW

#41 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 19:39

Great photo & story Jim. :D

#42 Redneb

Redneb

• 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 23:07

One of mine was Ginger Molloy. He stood out for me when I started going to bike meetings and he is still there, riding his Bultacos with such a smooth, wickedly fast style. He took the evil Kawasaki 500 to second in the world champs behind Ago. He is still out there riding his Bultacos and I go to meet him two weeks ago at the classic bike meeting at Pukekohe. Down to earth person.

The second is Graeme Crosby. Always spectacular and a crowd pleaser. Seems to me he never had great machinery until he got the works Suzukis and it took him a while to get used to something that actually went well without having to muscle the things all over the place. That ended way too soon

The third is Ago. True mega star, won heaps of world championships.

#43 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:11

One of mine was Ginger Molloy. He stood out for me when I started going to bike meetings and he is still there, riding his Bultacos with such a smooth, wickedly fast style. He took the evil Kawasaki 500 to second in the world champs behind Ago. He is still out there riding his Bultacos and I go to meet him two weeks ago at the classic bike meeting at Pukekohe. Down to earth person.

The second is Graeme Crosby. Always spectacular and a crowd pleaser. Seems to me he never had great machinery until he got the works Suzukis and it took him a while to get used to something that actually went well without having to muscle the things all over the place. That ended way too soon

The third is Ago. True mega star, won heaps of world championships.

Didn't Ginger have the Kawa 'looked at' by the Bultaco factory,which is why it was better than most of the others? Ginger,brilliant bloke,saw him at stars at Darley about a hundred years ago.

HW

#44 ravenous25

ravenous25

• 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 13:35

My dad had three heroes - his first one from when he first went racing in 1961 was Bob Mac, and then Derek Minter and Phil Read, he named me after the third as I was born just after he'd won his 2nd 500cc World title!

My earliest memories were kinda shaped by who my parents were friends with in the paddock - the main ones being Roger Marshall, Dave Potter, Phil Mellor, Steve Henshaw and Mark Salle. I liked them as they always gave me and family so much of their time.

I'd say my heroes, from when I first saw them race in 1985 and 1991 respectively, are Steve Hislop and John McGuinness - heroes to me, both on and off the track, especially the latter who's now a very good friend.

I was always a massive fan of Ian Simpson and Mick Lofthouse as well.

Edited by ravenous25, 16 February 2011 - 13:45.

#45 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 18:22

My dad had three heroes - his first one from when he first went racing in 1961 was Bob Mac, and then Derek Minter and Phil Read, he named me after the third as I was born just after he'd won his 2nd 500cc World title!

My earliest memories were kinda shaped by who my parents were friends with in the paddock - the main ones being Roger Marshall, Dave Potter, Phil Mellor, Steve Henshaw and Mark Salle. I liked them as they always gave me and family so much of their time.

I'd say my heroes, from when I first saw them race in 1985 and 1991 respectively, are Steve Hislop and John McGuinness - heroes to me, both on and off the track, especially the latter who's now a very good friend.

I was always a massive fan of Ian Simpson and Mick Lofthouse as well.

Roger Marshall was a major influence in my decision to start racing as I grew up a couple of doors from him, he was a school mate of my big brother and I followed his progress from his first season in 1971, it was a memorable moment for me when we finally sat on the same grid together at Scarborough in the late 1980's, even though he was about 3 rows in front of me :lol:

Talking of John McG if you happen to have an email address for him send him a link to this site as he'd love the old 250 stuff and chatting with Donnie & Andy & co, he's a regular on the IOMTT site as JM130 & I sent him a PM months ago with a link to here but I dont think he checks his PM's as its never been opend.

#46 thomaskomm

thomaskomm

• 203 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 19:00

Mine is Joey Dunlop, he was the master of Road racing (very dangerous versus track-racing) and he wins so much TT. Trophys, it´s unbelievable! I don´t know that nobody counts Joey, the hero!
Thomas

#47 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 21:28

I suppose one of my hero's was Eddie Lawson. I watched him and all of the others as much as i could on tv or videos. I was lucky enough to get an invite by yamaha to the 1985 British GP. I spent the whole GP with AGO's team, met Kel who showed me around the pits and lorries. Whilst sitting on Eddie's bike Lawson came in and we had a good chat, he passed onto me some of the factory clothing etc and took a few pics of me on his bike and then we had some pics together. It was a fab weekend, something that will never happen again. It was also a right laugh when Steve Parrish took me from the garage to the hospitality suite when.......thats another story but what fun. I will hunt out the pics and post them on the site.
Kevin

#48 ravenous25

ravenous25

• 243 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 22:31

Great story Kev - agree with you about Lawson, he was my favourite GP rider growing up, what a rider

#49 TZ350H

TZ350H

• 99 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 23:29

I can think of dozens of racing heroes, but here is my short list. Irish - Ray McCullough, Tom Herron, Gary Cowan and Jeremy McWilliams. All genuine world class. English - Mike Hailwood, Bill Ivy and John G. Williams. Others - Jon Ekerold, Kevin Schwantz and Fred Spencer.

#50 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 21:36

Thats another story......... well this will have to be edited coz it involved Mr Parrish and a lot of us know that he likes a joke but i dont want to go too far on the language etc.

On our way through the paddock of the 1985 British GP we passed all of the garages, when some bloke in rothmans colours is in front of us and says ' hello steve'. Steve replies ' look listen i've got this foreign prince with me who cant speak a word of ******* english, and i am supposed to show him around blah blah, can you help?' Sure this guy says. Steve looks at me and winks. We go into Freddie Spencers garage and steve looks at me and nods towards the bike. I am standing looking at Spencers bike when the rothmans guy comes over and puts his hand on the seat and looks at me and says 'SIT' and points to the seat. Steve pushes me towards the bike and i get on. Well in for a penny in for a pound i thought. BRRMMM BRRMM i go twisting the throttle. The looks on the crew was fantastic as they paniced over this kid playing with their bike. Hence to say we was out of that garage rather pronto. Steve said that was bloody brill, who's next! Walking past more garages steve shoves me into a door way and starts to shout ' sorry your majesty, sorry how can i pay you for my mistake!' and does no more than kneel in front of me. i looked down at him and thought oh what do i say! i then said ' i asked for a coke, not pepsi you moron! Steve replies 'sorry, i shall be right back with your drink, please sit on this bike your majesty. He talks to some blokes then runs off out the back of the garage! Some time passed and i bagan to think that i had been left high and dry by Mr Prankster Parrish. Any how the crew kept on looking at me and would nod their heads when they walked past. I still dont know what team garage i was in but i was rescued in the end by none other than Barry Sheene! He took me out the back of the garage and gave me back to Steve. Barry and Steve are chatting over what Prince thingamybob has been doing when Murray Walker appears, Murray looks at me grinning and asks what are you lot upto? Nothing, not us, why whats happened was the kind of joint reply. Murray looks at me and asks, ' are you related to either of these two?' No i reply. ' Thank god for that there is a chance then. Any how the rest of the day was fab but wet. I was either in the shell suite or in the yamaha garage.

Kevin