Photo

Anatoly Arutunoff

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:53

I did not see anything on here about this, but this is excerpted from a thread on the SCCA Production Car Website

An excerpt from Karen Arutunoff's Facebook page:

Prayers=Miracles, God's way of saying I'm here and I love all my children as if each was an only child. I have now spoken with the attending physician and the good news is Toly is stable, talking. His right leg is gone and his left is shattered. They have not attended to the left leg in light of the trauma of the accident. They are keeping a close eye on him for any changes in intensive care as it has only been a matter of hours since the accident and he has multiple injuries. His blood pressure is good, pulse good, kidneys not good. Seems he was parked on the side of I40 in Amarillo in the blizzard helping a man whose car had spun out and was stuck. Another car came along and T-boned an exposed Toly and drove off. Because of the cold the blood loss was not as severe as it could have/should have been. The leg was instantly gone. The only surgery that was performed was to close the wound. Amarillo is closed for business due to the blizzard but a prayer team from a church in Texas is going to the trauma center to be with him. Another Amarillo angel is going to Best Buy and getting a cell phone so I can speak to him. He thinks I am his girlfriend. Can't remember being married when questioned. I have chosen to be flattered. This is long road we are on but I will get to Amarillo w Trace as soon as the weather allows. God has already gotten us this far. I know he will take us the rest of the way. Bless you all. Your prayers produce miracles. Please don't stop!

Another update from Karen Arutunoff's Facebook page:

"We are life-flighting Toly to OU Medical Center tomorrow where a crack team of orthopedic trauma surgeons awaits. We are blessed to have found an Olympic Team doctor there who specializes in prosthesis. So many have helped make this happen but none more than you and your prayers which guide us constantly toward making good/right decisions. Still need you more than ever, Karen"

Karen Arutunoff's post from this (Friday) morning:

"After giving Toly a thousand kisses I told him how mad I was for putting himself in harms way. He's all banged up, hooked up and in and out of consciousness but in light of the trauma doing very well. Has no memory of what happened but is in excellent spirits (good drugs). This morning will be the first of many surgeries. We're doing a ground up restoration with some re-original parts. OU Med Center is amazing, compassionate and we have the best surgeon on the planet. Your prayers put us here and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Tol is still in trauma ICU but I will let everyone know when he is strong enough to be moved. I love you all and couldn't have gotten this far without your support and prayers."

Also from Karen's page...

Thoughts while worrying: would someone please volunteer to teach me to drive a stick shift? Toly tried and there was entirely too much yelling! Of his 18+ weird cars I'm going to have to be the chauffeur.

He is one of the more colorful long time SCCA and International racer, rallyist, author and track builder (Hallett, OK)

Advertisement

#2 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:34

Holy Cow, this is terrible! Having almost being creamed by a truck coming out of Amarillo in the snow once, I'm saying a prayer for Toly right now.

Frank

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:25

What can I say: "Best wishes for a speedy recovery"

On a slightly brighter note, my daughter drives with just her left leg. She has an automatic which has been adapted with the accelerator moved to the left of the brake. So it won't be absolutely necessary for Karen to learn to shift gear!

#4 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:08

Terrible news but he is a tough cookie.I will miss his surprise visits to the South of France but I am sure he will be around and about and entertaining us in his usual laconic style

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 13:58

Sad news!

#6 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 17:15

Wishing strength, courage, and patience to both Toly and Karen.

#7 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 18:56

Awful news. Has his new book been released yet? I read some wonderful advance sections. I got to know Toly in 1977 when I petitioned Lancia to let me go to Daytona with a film crew, upon learning that his Stratos was entered. (The Yankee management at Fiat-Lancia was woefully ignorant of Lancia's motorsport heritage.) Toly's Stratos didn't fare particularly well that year, but he always got high marks for perseverance. I hope that spirit will serve him well now.

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 22:59

Very sad news indeed.

I first saw him race his Morgan +4 in the early '70s, when my Dad had one. Toly had won the Runoffs against all odds and was later DQed for very silly, seemingly-political reasons. He came back a few years later and claimed his title in grand style. This guy is one of a kind.

Get Well, Buddy!

#9 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 23:20

Awful news. Has his new book been released yet? I read some wonderful advance sections. I got to know Toly in 1977 when I petitioned Lancia to let me go to Daytona with a film crew, upon learning that his Stratos was entered. (The Yankee management at Fiat-Lancia was woefully ignorant of Lancia's motorsport heritage.) Toly's Stratos didn't fare particularly well that year, but he always got high marks for perseverance. I hope that spirit will serve him well now.

Toly's book "One Off, the Roads, the Races, the Automobiles of Toly Arutunoff", published by Beeman Jorgensoen, inc., has been out for a while. I reread my copy on learning of Toly's accident, and it is just as funny the second time through. I have heard many Toly stories firsthand at various parties over the years, and always looked forward to seeing whatever Zagato bodied or strange machine he would bring to vintage events. My thoughts are with Karen and Trace.

Woody

#10 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 00:41

Strong healing vibes headed his way.

#11 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:29

Toly's book "One Off, the Roads, the Races, the Automobiles of Toly Arutunoff", published by Beeman Jorgensoen, inc., has been out for a while. I reread my copy on learning of Toly's accident, and it is just as funny the second time through. I have heard many Toly stories firsthand at various parties over the years, and always looked forward to seeing whatever Zagato bodied or strange machine he would bring to vintage events. My thoughts are with Karen and Trace.

Woody

There's another in the works perhaps? About a year ago I read some early pages sent me by vintage Elva and Porsche racer/publisher Brett Johnson. Toly's emphasis was on his early life (in what I read). It was a picquaresque account, highly entertaining. I hope he is coming around after this terrible accident. I always liked his persistence in racing cars that weren't at the top of the list of current contenders, like the Morgan and Stratos.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 13:34

Posted Image
Toly and Karen Arutunoff at the 2009 Legends of Riverside event

All our prayers are with Toly and Karen.

photo: Frank Sheffield

#13 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:31

Shairon and I are praying for your fast recovery.

#14 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:38

Seven months have gone by since Toly's horrendous accident and I was surprised to get an e mail from him last week and as a result of which I had dinner with Toly and Karen in Cannes last night. He is in irrepressible form with his new tin leg and as full of fun as ever. Karen said that the response to her Facebook updates to his condition back in February was quite amazing. He will be at the Goodwoof Revival this coming weekend with Adrian Van Der Croft so some of you may see him there. As can be seen below he still has that amusing twinkle in his eye.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:58

Thanks for the update, Graham. I'd been wondering how he was getting on. Good to know that he's 'back on the scene' and enjoying himself.

#16 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 17:00

Yes, Graham, Thanks from me as well. I am really glad to hear this!

One a 'Toly fan, always a 'Toly fan! :up: