Attilio Bettega

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mig007

Mig007

• 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:30

Hello

I am writing an article about Attilio Bettega, and I've read the excellent review of his career made by Nanni Dietrich for MotorsportMemorial, and also the sad details of the accident that ended his life.

Does someone can provide me with more details about his early career and life; results at ERC and Italian rally Championship and some photos please?

Best Regards

Advertisement

#2 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:36

Hello

I am writing an article about Attilio Bettega, and I've read the excellent review of his career made by Nanni Dietrich for MotorsportMemorial, and also the sad details of the accident that ended his life.

Does someone can provide me with more details about his early career and life; results at ERC and Italian rally Championship and some photos please?

Best Regards

At one time I was a consultant to Fiat Group in England and was loosely involved in the rally and racing programmes for Fiat and Lancia. On one occasion we did a winter test session on the ice track at Serre Chevallier at which Attilio was taking part along with Markku Alen, Walter Rohrl, Michelle Mouton, Jean Claude Andruet and co. We had Mirafiori 131 Aberths and Bettega's Ritmo Abarth and it was wonderful to go round this egg shaped ice track which featured tight esses then a right hand corner followed by wide sweeping esses as you returned to the start with a harpin at the bottom. I had already been round with Markku and Walter and it was interesting to compare the almost animal driving style of Markku to the relaxed racing driver style of Walter. Then Attilio arrived late and was told to go out in the Ritmo Abarth and I went along with him. He had not even been round the track before and I noticed he had his left wrist bandaged. Off he went and I mentally counted off the corners as we sped along on snow and ice with high snow banks, Once he reached the top of the circuit and started to come down the other side he speeded up as we were not into open corners. However as I counted them off I realised we were coming to the last left hander before a tight right hand "keyhole" corner. To my horror Bettega selected top year just as we approached the corner. There was no way the car would get round at that speed and he started to work hard sliding the car into one snowbank then across to another changing down gears until he finally caught the car and we slid round the hairpin in a controlled drift. It was a remarkable performane. However as we headed up the other side for the second time he looked over at me and crossed himself ! He was a great fun guy and a great loss to the sport.
I have attached a couple of photos of the occasion. Yes, I know, we were not wearing crash helmets. Note the bandage on Bettega's hand as he wrestles with the steering wheel.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image[/IMG]

Posted Image

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:40

Hello

Best Regards

Sorry for some reason this shot of his hands was missing on the last piece.

Posted Image

#4 Mig007

Mig007

• 169 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:12

Many Thanks for all help, I am just writing in article for a Portuguese Blog, but I hope in the future to translate it. And I've made a Darren-Galpin like DB entry that I'll post here.

Regards

#5 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,070 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 16:40

Looking forward to read it, I miss those rally days when drivers like Bettega were competing, those were the days. Nowadays rally stages are just sprints.

#6 Mig007

Mig007

• 169 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 23:50

This is the article, I wrote in Portuguese for a Great Portuguese Blog. This is just Google translation, but if you like it, I can do a correct translation:

Bettega 1

Bettega 2

Bettega original article + statistical file

Edited by Mig007, 20 February 2011 - 23:58.

#7 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 00:04

https://mirandaribei...ttilio-bettega/ - Revamped Bettega article;