Photo

1/43 - All about car model collecting

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 16:51

I am starting this Topic to have an open discussion on all aspects of collecting, building kits and modifying commercially available models.
In order to start the debate I am starting by providing links to my Windows Live location where I have the pictures of my 1100 1/43 car model collection as well as links to my thematic Blogs that focus on specific aspects of the collection.

First, this is the link to my Windows Live location where I have the model by manufacturer and each model has a front view, a rear view and a view of the feature (i.e. openning doors) if it has one:

https://onedrive.liv...B28DE878AC7C756

Links to my thematic Blogs:
1:43 CanAm and USRRC Blog: http://143canamandusrrc.blogspot.com/
1:43 Porsche models Blog: http://143porschemodels.blogspot.com/
1:43 Chaparral models Blog: http://143chaparralm...s.blogspot.com/
1:43 Concept cars Blog: http://143conceptcars.blogspot.com/
1:43 Ferrari F1 Blog: http://143ferrarif1.blogspot.com/
1:43 Matra models Blog: http://143matramodels.blogspot.com/

Link to my Blog that depicts transformed and restored models performed by me, where in some cases it reproduces new different models from the originals:
http://143modelcolle...n.blogspot.com/

Here is the display of 90% of the collection on the east wall of my living room:
1007740.jpg

My other forum discussion is at:
http://www.diecastxc...143-collection/

Edited by Tonecas, 28 April 2020 - 21:30.

Advertisement

#2 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 19:30

I have only read through the Can-Am section so far. I particularly enjoyed working through the many Chaparral modifications that you have made. Really, really good stuff. Informative too. :up:

#3 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 23:32

Nice stuff. Think I want to come visit!

Bruce Moxon

#4 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 16:38

Thanks to both for your comments.
Now I have a question: Does anyone know about "Kaiser models" kits?
Yesterday I lost a McLaren M1C made by Kaiser models on Ebay (I bid $60 it went for $69) but it looked like a very nice kit. Google did not provide much information about Kaiser.
There is not much about 1/43 McLaren M1 models, in fact this is the first one I saw. If someone knows about this and is ready to share the info, it is appreciated.

#5 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:00

Thanks to both for your comments.
Now I have a question: Does anyone know about "Kaiser models" kits?
Yesterday I lost a McLaren M1C made by Kaiser models on Ebay (I bid $60 it went for $69) but it looked like a very nice kit. Google did not provide much information about Kaiser.
There is not much about 1/43 McLaren M1 models, in fact this is the first one I saw. If someone knows about this and is ready to share the info, it is appreciated.

Kaiser models were made in Hungary , I have some of there Can Am kits , they listed some very interesting models but they are rare , some of there models were available as built only at $69 I reckon you missed a bargain , they were still producing , Grand Prix Models in the UK had some Veritas models for sale , Group 7 listed some of the range though I doubt they had stock .

#6 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 15:20

Kaiser models were made in Hungary , I have some of there Can Am kits , they listed some very interesting models but they are rare , some of there models were available as built only at $69 I reckon you missed a bargain , they were still producing , Grand Prix Models in the UK had some Veritas models for sale , Group 7 listed some of the range though I doubt they had stock .

Thank you for the information I will check Grand Prix Models.

#7 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 16:22

Hi everybody :wave: , I just want to share my latest "Production", today I finished a Tenariv kit of a Matra 120D and here it is:
Posted Image
Just one thing to note, decals glue do not stick and the decals do not take the form had to use lots of decal setting solution.
Of course, it already found its way to my Matra Blog.
Canadian greetings to all,
AN

Edited by Tonecas, 21 February 2011 - 18:45.

#8 paulomartino25

paulomartino25

• 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 22:59

Holy Moly - that's some collection you have and it's all beautifully organised, something I keep meaning to do with all my own miniature auto stuff but it never happens as I allow myself to get sidetracked in collecting and modifying etc........!
As they say, it's never a good time but maybey the thread you've launched is just the thing - so looking forward to browsing thru your wonderfull collection and savouring it all - wonderful stuff indeed.
Many thanks for making such a great posting I'm sure you will have lots of interest and contributions,
Cherrs,
Regards,
Paul

#9 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 00:26

Holy Moly - that's some collection you have and it's all beautifully organised, something I keep meaning to do with all my own miniature auto stuff but it never happens as I allow myself to get sidetracked in collecting and modifying etc........!
As they say, it's never a good time but maybey the thread you've launched is just the thing - so looking forward to browsing thru your wonderfull collection and savouring it all - wonderful stuff indeed.
Many thanks for making such a great posting I'm sure you will have lots of interest and contributions,
Cherrs,
Regards,
Paul

Well, let me say something about how my collection is organized,
First I have an Excel spread sheet that covers the following:
Concerning the real car: "Car Maker / Model / Type"; "Year Start Building"; "Year Last Building"
Concerning the model: "Model By..."; "Model Ref. #"; "Model S/N"; "Built from Year..."; "Built to Year..."; "Aquisition Cost"; "Resale Value"; "Value Range"; "With/Without Box"
Concerning the racing history: "Race"; "Year"; "Race Car No."; "Final Position";
Concerning the building or modification: "Kit-Yes/No"; "Modified-Yes/No"; "Repainted-Yes/No"; "New Wheels-Yes/No"; "Decals-Yes/No"; "Improvements-Yes/No"; "Comments"
Second, I have a Powerpoint file for each car manufacturer that covers the following:
Each slide 4 photos front/rear of the model and front/rear of the real car, production years, a brief description of the race, technical spec and a link to a Microsoft word file about that specific car, in there the whole history of the car is writen. This is what takes a lot of time to research, well I started in 2004 when I retired and I am presently about 80% complete.
I think I can't attach Microsoft files otherwise I could show some samples.
Regards,

Edited by Tonecas, 22 March 2011 - 14:56.

#10 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 15:08

Well life isn't always fair, :well: I bought on eBay for 70 euros this model (a Ferrari 312B3/73 from Villa Models), which is very dificult to find, but I found it in Italy.
Posted Image
After crossing the Atlantic this is what I got, (not a very good packaging),
Posted Image
But I do not give up. I went back and I bought on eBay for £16 this model (a Ferrari 312B3/74),
Posted Image
Now the real challenge is to build a good sturdy model of the Ferrari 312B3/73 out of these 2.
I will keep all posted how this adventure evolves...
To be continued :wave:

Edited by Tonecas, 06 March 2011 - 15:15.

#11 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 15:47

Thanks for starting this thread and it's always good to meet a fellow 1/43rd collector. I have approx. 800 in my collection and have been collecting for a few years. I have 15 or so 1/43rd kits that are sitting on the shelf in my studio waiting to be built. Many many cars that just a few years ago I thought would never see the light of day in either diecast or resin built have now been produces by SPARK, BIZARRE, REDLINE, or TRUE SCALE MINIATURES to name but a few. A nice display area you have.

#12 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 19:28

Thanks for your comments, I build the kits as soon as they arrive right now I have 2 to build.
1 - Marsh Models McLaren M6B 1968 Sunoco Can Am kit (Marsh Models MM149)
2 - Marsh Models McLaren M1A Riverside 1965 (Marsh Models MM65)
It is interesting that the 2nd is listed as the McLaren M1A from Riverside 1965, which is not true because I found a video that actually shows the #4 car in that race and it is not the Marsh Models MM65 (it is a #4 but it is a Mark II not a Mark I)
See the video:

After some research I establised that the car actually raced 100km from here at St.Jovite/Quebec in 1965 with #4 and driven by Bruce McLaren finishing 1st OA

#13 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:38

SPARK has been producing and will continue to produce many of the iconic Can Am cars which is a good thing as I just don't have the time to build them. Right now on my bench are the SRT '67 Surtees Hondola Italian GP winner, the '70 Monaco GP winning Rindt Lotus by SMTS, a Tom Pryce Shadow from the '75 Italian GP made by SILVERLINE, a BBR 2001 Schumacher Monza Blacknose Ferrari, an '85 Rosberg Williams by TAMEO, and a BBR Ferrari 512S LeMans 1970 Ickx/Schetty. Not to mention the military minatures that take up quite a bit of space, am still trying to figure out how to build a diorama around a 1/35th German WW2 U-Boat.

An example of my military dios in 1/35th scale.

Posted Image

#14 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:41

Well life isn't always fair, :well: I bought on eBay for 70 euros this model (a Ferrari 312B3/73 from Villa Models), which is very dificult to find, but I found it in Italy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
But I do not give up. I went back and I bought on eBay for £16 this model (a Ferrari 312B3/74),
Posted Image
Now the real challenge is to build a good sturdy model of the Ferrari 312B3/73 out of these 2.

You might want to wait for the La Storia version of the Merzario B3. That kit that was sent to you, even if it were not broken, still looks pretty rough around the edges.

#15 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:52

You might want to wait for the La Storia version of the Merzario B3. That kit that was sent to you, even if it were not broken, still looks pretty rough around the edges.

Hi, you are absolutely right, the kit has very poor definition plus the white metal has a very high content of lead which makes it very easy to bend with a minimum force. Anyway I am stuck with it, now lets try to get the best solution to come out of it.

#16 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 21:00

SPARK has been producing and will continue to produce many of the iconic Can Am cars which is a good thing as I just don't have the time to build them. Right now on my bench are the SRT '67 Surtees Hondola Italian GP winner, the '70 Monaco GP winning Rindt Lotus by SMTS, a Tom Pryce Shadow from the '75 Italian GP made by SILVERLINE, a BBR 2001 Schumacher Monza Blacknose Ferrari, an '85 Rosberg Williams by TAMEO, and a BBR Ferrari 512S LeMans 1970 Ickx/Schetty. Not to mention the military minatures that take up quite a bit of space, am still trying to figure out how to build a diorama around a 1/35th German WW2 U-Boat.

Nice work, my congratulations, I like dioramas but the lack of space prevents me from building them. I am limited to a couple of garages, that it! They are in here together with other stuff:
http://cid-0b28de878...Models/9-Others
Click on the pictures to expand them.

#17 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 22:42

Hi, you are absolutely right, the kit has very poor definition plus the white metal has a very high content of lead which makes it very easy to bend with a minimum force. Anyway I am stuck with it, now lets try to get the best solution to come out of it.

Well, one thing I've done before is to completely strip the model of glue, paint, and decals using acetone and starting over from scratch. It would mean finding a set of matching decals, but I'm sure there are some out there, possibly ebay.

#18 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:14

Thanks for the tip, I will try to only keep the body and all the rest take it from the 312B3/74. I will keep posting the progress as it happens.

#19 RCH

RCH

• 1,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:06

Didn't realise "Villa" was still around. I bought some models from him when he visited our stand at the Goodwood Festival way back 10 or more years ago. They were nicely presented, saw him as a good source of reasonably priced built F1 models, not at all easy to find then. He proved elusive when I tried to buy more but pitched up again the next year.

They were based on old FDS kits, not sure whether they had acquired large quantities of kits from FDS and were building them up or were casting themselves from a "master" based on an FDS kit. They were pretty old technology even then but usually well finished.

Advertisement

#20 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:44

Didn't realise "Villa" was still around. I bought some models from him when he visited our stand at the Goodwood Festival way back 10 or more years ago. They were nicely presented, saw him as a good source of reasonably priced built F1 models, not at all easy to find then. He proved elusive when I tried to buy more but pitched up again the next year.

They were based on old FDS kits, not sure whether they had acquired large quantities of kits from FDS and were building them up or were casting themselves from a "master" based on an FDS kit. They were pretty old technology even then but usually well finished.

In the case of this one (312B3/73) they must have based it on some other than FDS, because I have in my archives a FDS catalog (with pictures) from the 1980's and this 312B3/73 is not listed in there. I agree it is stone age technology...

#21 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:54

An example of my military dios in 1/35th scale.

Posted Image

Very nice, jj - it must have been fun distressing the locomotive! The soil and rubble looks very realistic.

#22 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:52

Thanks Tony. I'm able to use a bit more 'artistic liscense' with the military pieces, because if I make a mistake I can always cover it up with either a tarp, battle damage or rubble.

#23 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 21:50

Yes, it's excellent work jj, superb attention to detail. Makes me want to do some military modelling again (if only I had the time!).

Steve

#24 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 21:23

Posted Image

Well continuing with this saga, I just received Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312B3/74 that I promptly disassembled as depicted (the "Hotwheels"312B3/74 is in the LHS and the "Villa kit" is the RHS),
Posted Image
As I said before, now the real challenge is to build a good model of the Ferrari 312B3/73 out of these 2.
Again, I will keep all posted how this adventure evolves...

Edited by Tonecas, 15 March 2011 - 21:24.

#25 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:22

One more episode of the Ferrari 312B-3/73 saga,
After dismantling both I started cutting and fitting the 312B-3/74 parts to fit the body of the 312B3/73.
Next is a photo depicting the parts ready to be assembled
Posted Image
A= Body of the Villa models Ferrari 312B3/73
B= Chassis of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74 with the rear end of the 312B3/73
C= Cockpit of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74 resized to fit
D= Rear Aileron of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74
E= Front Aileron of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74 with the front edge straight
F= Windshield of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74 resized
G= Upper front suspension arms of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74
H= Side mirrors of the Hotwheels Ferrari 312B3/74
Next will be the final assembly...

Edited by Tonecas, 19 March 2011 - 18:58.

#26 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:34

~

Not to mention the military miniatures that take up quite a bit of space, am still trying to figure out how to build a diorama around a 1/35th German WW2 U-Boat.

After Germany's defeat, U-boats were ordered to surface, fly a black [?] flag and sail to the nearest Allied port to surrender. [I think that's the salient points]

So you could have the U-boat alongside a quay with any vehicles you like on the quay: jeep, NAAFI canteen truck, ambulance, army truck, civilian fish lorry or whatever. As a 1/32nd car would be close enough in scale you could have some civilians come to have a look - or to throw rotten vegetables. Lots of possibilities there. And you could locate it anywhere in the world with unusual people - Arabs, a Durban rickshaw Zulu, Eskimos ...

Have fun!

#27 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 14:31

Well, finally it is finished after many hours and $s. It is not my best model but neither it is the worst.
I post here a couple of pictures to see the final result...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Kitkent

Kitkent

• 88 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:05

Hi Tonecas,I think you've done very well there- the Villa model doesn't look too bad really up that close.

#29 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:31

Hi Tonecas,I think you've done very well there- the Villa model doesn't look too bad really up that close.

Hi Kitkent
Thanks for your review, it was quite a bit of work to make the pieces of the 312/74 to fit the Villa, but it turn out just acceptable. At the end it is probably the worst, price to quality ratio model in my collection.
Thanks again, it is great to have external support to help forgetting the episode...

#30 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:55

Well, I am starting another repair, this time of a Lola T70 Mk.1 made by GMP Ref.:12404 that I just bought. For my surprise, when it arrived, the model has a "chin", meaning the lower part of the grid intake is pretruding forward compared to the top. Researching what looked abnormal, proved that my recollection of the Lola T70 was correct, the lower edge is recessed compared with the top.
See photos:
Posted Image

Now lets look at the model,
Posted Image

Well, the front end has to be fixed and the lights also have to be installed because this car (s/n: SL70/10) always raced with the headlights exposed.
I will present the final result when finished, :wave:

Edited by Tonecas, 29 March 2011 - 21:59.

#31 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:36

It is done,
1- File the bottom of the grill opening
2- Put headlights instead of painted covers
3- Paint the bottom of the grill opening (the dificulty was in matching the color)
The final result is:

lolat70spydermki.jpg
I think this is a better representation of the real car...

Edited by Tonecas, 30 August 2013 - 23:01.

#32 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,802 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:17

:clap:

#33 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:35

Finally yesterday I finished my collection of CanAm Lola T70 spyders from Fly receiving the last 2, one from Italy and the other from Spain.
Posted Image
These are one of the most beautiful 1/43 models ever made, the detais of the engine and rear gear are superb. It is a pity that they (Fly) did not carry on with other projects and decided to only keep their focus on slot cars, where by the way they are very strong.
More detailled photos of my Lolas are in: http://cid-0b28de878.....3 Models/Lola
:cool:

#34 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 19:07

I just finished a Marsh Model kit of a McLaren M6B Bridgehampton’68 #6 Team: Penske Racing driven by Mark Donohue finishing 1stOA.

mclarenm6b.jpg
But I have a question, does anybody know the following:
The box is marked as Marsh model kit MM7 but the bottom of the model is marked as SMTS. Was there any association between Marsh models and SMTS? I could find a listing of MM7 in a GB store but nothing on SMTS. Any enlightment is appreciated.

1007654.jpg

Edited by Tonecas, 30 August 2013 - 23:04.

#35 Kitkent

Kitkent

• 88 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 21:34

[quote name='Tonecas' date='Apr 13 2011, 19:07' post='4962549']
I just finished a Marsh Model kit of a McLaren M6B Bridgehampton’68 #6 Team: Penske Racing driven by Mark Donohue finishing 1stOA.
Posted Image
But I have a question, does anybody know the folowing:
The box is marked as Marsh model kit MM7 but the bottom of the model is marked as SMTS. Was there any association between Marsh models and SMTS? I could find a listing of MM7 in a GB store but nothing on SMTS. Any enlightment is appreciated.
Posted Image

Hi Tonecas,this is an old white metal kit,and as they were near neighbours SMTS cast all the early Marsh Models for them. I have their 1967 Ford MK4 Le Manns winner and it says cast by SMTS,yours doesn't seem to say that? SMTS are still making white metal kits.

#36 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:59

Hi Tonecas,this is an old white metal kit,and as they were near neighbours SMTS cast all the early Marsh Models for them. I have their 1967 Ford MK4 Le Manns winner and it says cast by SMTS,yours doesn't seem to say that? SMTS are still making white metal kits.

Hi Kitkent
Thanks for the information, this is an interesting thing that might explain a problem that I had during assembly. It looks like the lower part is made by SMTS (where the lettering is) and made of white metal and the top is made of resin (maybe made by MM). This might explain why the position of the wheels where not centered with the fenders (specially the rear wheels). It was quite a job to have them centered using aluminium tubing to position the axel and still have the wheels turning. :)

#37 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:00

Just added these 2 gems to the collection. Both in 1/43rd by Make Up Ltd. and courtesy of the superb service from Mike at miniwerks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 14:16

Hi JJ
Very nice models, congratulation!!
I also have 2 330 P4's but made by the defunct "jouef evolution" which has a very good engine detail, see photo:
http://cid-0b28de878...o... open f.JPG
In fact I have all 1/43 models made by "jouef evolution" which were 6 and all highly detailled:
1- Ferrari 250 SWB
2- Ferrari 250 GTO/64
3- Ferrari 330 P4
4- Ferrari 288 GTO Evoluzione
5- Ford GT 40 Mk.I Gulf #6
6- Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS
Well, let me get back to your models, are they made by special order or readly availabe in the open market?
Congratulations again :clap:

#39 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 21:12

Well, let me get back to your models, are they made by special order or readly availabe in the open market?
Congratulations again :clap:

Here's the link and like I said Mike has superb service.
http://miniwerks.com/default.asp

Advertisement

#40 Kitkent

Kitkent

• 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 21:38

I remember seeing 2 excellent photos from the pits at Daytona of these cars on the Toronto Motorsports forum - Marsh models have released them,but these are made by Make Up? I thought Make Up was a Japanese shop,+ people made models for them. Confused now. They are the best looking models by the way.

#41 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 23:42

I remember seeing 2 excellent photos from the pits at Daytona of these cars on the Toronto Motorsports forum - Marsh models have released them,but these are made by Make Up? I thought Make Up was a Japanese shop,+ people made models for them. Confused now. They are the best looking models by the way.

The photos were most likely mine. My dad spent time with the Ferrari, Ford and Porsche teams at Daytona in '67 and took many great photos a few of which I'd posted online, had them nicked (but that's another story) and then removed them. I don't know who make's up Make Up (sorry couldn't resist), but IMHO their P4 series are the finest and most accurate on the market today in 1/43rd.

#42 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 22:07

Well, I just finished the Marsh model kit MM65 of the McLaren Elva Mark I s/n:BMMR1/64 that belong to Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd.
I decided not to model the "Player's 200 Mosport-The Player's Cup" entry (5th/June/1965) as suggested because it represented a real bad race for Bruce because the result was a DNF – (Heat 1: DNF-Brakes; Heat 2: DNF-Broken Gearbox), instead I represented the "Labatt 50 St. Jovite/Mont-Tremblant" (4th/July/1965) where he was the winner of the race.
Posted Image
In both cases the car is the same except for the color and position of the the #4 in the front of the car, as depicted next.
This is the Mosport car:
Posted Image
and this is the St. Jovite/Mont-Tremblant car:
Posted Image :)

Edited by Tonecas, 19 April 2011 - 22:08.

#43 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:53

Hi everybody
Is there someone could help me by knowing what the "Mebetoys Gran Toros Ferrari 612P Can-Am" in fact represents?
Posted Image
I have been looking in the web to see if I could identify what it represents with no success. Help is appreciated :)

#44 Larry Fulhorst

Larry Fulhorst

• 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:58

Hi everybody
Is there someone could help me by knowing what the "Mebetoys Gran Toros Ferrari 612P Can-Am" in fact represents?
Posted Image
I have been looking in the web to see if I could identify what it represents with no success. Help is appreciated :)

This is the Ferrari 612 as first raced by Chris Amon at the 1968 Las Vegas Can-Am. It got caught up in the first turn shunt of McLaren and Andretti and could not contiue because of sand in the injector slides. The car was reworked for the 1969 Can-Am.

#45 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:53

Thank you for the information :)

#46 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 18:03

Hi everybody,
Now I have another query, recently I bought an old 1/43 trankit to create the Herbert Müller's Ferrari 512S from a solido 512M (see my CanAm blog). The transkit included a full set of "yellowish" decals to decorate the model.
To my surprise when I tried to install the (after being soaked in water) they broke down into a thousand pieces. Does anybody out there know a "trick" to deal with these kind of problem?
I even pre-brushed them with "decal setting solution" but the result was the same - a thousand pieces.
Thanks for any help... :yawnface:

#47 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:23

Hi everybody,
Now I have another query, recently I bought an old 1/43 trankit to create the Herbert Müller's Ferrari 512S from a solido 512M (see my CanAm blog). The transkit included a full set of "yellowish" decals to decorate the model.
To my surprise when I tried to install the (after being soaked in water) they broke down into a thousand pieces. Does anybody out there know a "trick" to deal with these kind of problem?
I even pre-brushed them with "decal setting solution" but the result was the same - a thousand pieces.
Thanks for any help... :yawnface:

There is only one solution (sorry for the play on words) that I know of. Sit them outside in the sun for an hour or so. Depending on who made the decals this technique will remove the yellowish effect and prevent them from falling apart. Failing that, you may want to check ebay to see if anyone makes a set.

#48 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:27

Thank you for the info JJ, I will test next time. These ones are spoiled by now.

#49 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 18:45

Chaparral 1 kit made by MA Scale models with P/N: 70 and built by me. Although this kit has alot of moulding junction marks that need to be deburred it is a good representation of the real Chaparral 1. It also fall short of the fine details that I actually added to improve it as a model. The following was added:
1-rear bulkhead in photo-etching metal
2-front low air dam in photo-etching metal
3-better instrument decal
4-real representation of the intruments behind the dash using aluminium piping of the appropriate dimentions also with wiring connecting the instuments to the front bulhead
5-connection of the steering between the dash and the front bulhead.
Posted Image
1961 s/n: 1-001. This first s/n differs from the others because it has 2 slots to draw air to the carburators instead of a cover with an opening in the back. it represents the 1961 Riverside LA Times #66 Team: Chaparral Cars Inc. with Jim Hall 3rd OA.
and this is the final result:
Posted Image

Edited by Tonecas, 22 June 2011 - 18:47.

#50 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,802 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 00:43

:)