Photo

Jim Clark crash helmet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Grantree

Grantree

• 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 16:41

A friend has been given a small size Everoak helmet, in royal blue with a red central stripe that finishes where the 'peak' begins. On either side of the helmet are two Saltires, each with a small red dot in the centre. Unremarkable so far...but upon opening the helmet, on the Everoak label, the name J Clark is written. The helmet came from a house clearance in Edinburgh. Was this a colour combination Jim used in his early years?

Edited by Grantree, 20 February 2011 - 16:42.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 17:14

I'm sure Graham Gauld would know for certain but my initial reaction would be - definitely not.

There is a picture of Jim in his first crash helmet in Graham's book and there is no hint of any stripe, dots or saltires on it.

I cannot recall ever seeing Jim with a helmet sporting saltires.

#3 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 17:22

the details could have added later, or perhaps more likely it was owned by J Clark, but not THE J Clark.

My old Mini Cooper was owned by Brian Wilson at the time the Beach boys were recording 'pet Sounds'. Always a nice story to tell, but the Mr Jones in Question lived in Stirling! :drunk:

#4 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 17:30

the details could have added later, or perhaps more likely it was owned by J Clark, but not THE J Clark.

My old Mini Cooper was owned by Brian Wilson at the time the Beach boys were recording 'pet Sounds'. Always a nice story to tell, but the Mr Jones in Question lived in Stirling! :drunk:

My brother-in-law went to school in Edinburgh with James Bond - not Sean Connery but the real James Bond (better known these days as Paul Jones of Manfred Mann fame, who had to change his name for perhaps obvious reasons!!)

Marticelli

PS Picked up a copy of Andrew Tulloch's Jim Clark biography the other day, which seems a very good effort and a worthwhile addition to my library.

#5 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 17:36

My brother-in-law went to school in Edinburgh with James Bond - not Sean Connery but the real James Bond (better known these days as Paul Jones of Manfred Mann fame, who had to change his name for perhaps obvious reasons!!)

Marticelli

PS Picked up a copy of Andrew Tulloch's Jim Clark biography the other day, which seems a very good effort and a worthwhile addition to my library.

1. My cousin married Manfred Mann's ex-wife (busted up their marriage, actually). Real name Lubovitz, by the way.

2. I had a girlfriend (lovely...) called Michelle Moore. She had a brother called Roger. Poor boy.

Bruce Moxon

#6 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:26

I'm sure Graham Gauld would know for certain but my initial reaction would be - definitely not.

There is a picture of Jim in his first crash helmet in Graham's book and there is no hint of any stripe, dots or saltires on it.

I cannot recall ever seeing Jim with a helmet sporting saltires.

Quite right Barry Jim Clark never put saltires on his crash helmet and certainly not a red stripe. As has correctly been mentioned there was another James Clark who reced a Mini and other cars in Scotland. He is still around and I met up with him on a visit to Edinburgh a couple of years ago and it is possible that it is one of his crash helmets. I hope the guy did not pay a lot for the helmet.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:28

Every source I have (including his Wiki biography) says that Paul Jones of Manfred Mann and Blues Band fame was born Paul Pond in Portsmouth where he grew up, his family later moving to Plymouth.

#8 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:03

Every source I have (including his Wiki biography) says that Paul Jones of Manfred Mann and Blues Band fame was born Paul Pond in Portsmouth where he grew up, his family later moving to Plymouth.

Another urban (or rather family) myth bites the dust... Such is the power of the internet...! Meantime, good luck, Mr Gorsky...

Marticelli

#9 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 15:15

Another urban (or rather family) myth bites the dust... Such is the power of the internet...! Meantime, good luck, Mr Gorsky...

Marticelli

O/T, but of relevance to Manfred Mann / Paul Jones.

I went to see the Manfreds (all of the old band, Minus Mr Mann himself) in Glasgow several years ago, and they were all wearing pink shirts. As part of the intro to 'Pretty Flamingo', Paul Jones said " I supose you're wondering why we are all wearing pink shirts tonight....." and before he could continue, a loud voice from the back of the audetorium shouted in a broad Glasgow accent "Nah, it's 'cause yer a bunch 'o poofs!"

Needless to say, the place erupted! wouldn't have happened in Edinburgh of course!

#10 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 15:46

O/T, but of relevance to Manfred Mann / Paul Jones.

I went to see the Manfreds (all of the old band, Minus Mr Mann himself) in Glasgow several years ago, and they were all wearing pink shirts. As part of the intro to 'Pretty Flamingo', Paul Jones said " I supose you're wondering why we are all wearing pink shirts tonight....." and before he could continue, a loud voice from the back of the audetorium shouted in a broad Glasgow accent "Nah, it's 'cause yer a bunch 'o poofs!"

Needless to say, the place erupted! wouldn't have happened in Edinburgh of course!

Paul Jones and Tom McGuinness are still going strong in both the Manfreds and The Blues Band . I saw them in both bands last year and I'm looking forward to another helping of the Manfreds at the Stables on 24 March.

#11 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 16:49

I had a colleague named Mike Hood who swore he had a brother named Robin..................I said "Yeah, and your sister's name is Little Red Riding, I suppose?"

Paul M

#12 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 20:02

Quite right Barry Jim Clark never put saltires on his crash helmet and certainly not a red stripe. As has correctly been mentioned there was another James Clark who reced a Mini and other cars in Scotland. He is still around and I met up with him on a visit to Edinburgh a couple of years ago and it is possible that it is one of his crash helmets. I hope the guy did not pay a lot for the helmet.

Mini was possibly sponsored by Niddrie Mains garage and possibly blue and yellow.

#13 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:05

Mini was possibly sponsored by Niddrie Mains garage and possibly blue and yellow.

You are right Jimmy. Hope you are well.

#14 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:14

I actually know a Guy over here that in Chinese is pronounced "Hung Low".

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:23

I've already related the tale elsewhere on the forum of the solicitor in Nottingham whose name was Rupert C. Bear and the bar manager at Trent Poly who went by the name of Ed Case, but getting back on thread, well to helmets at least, I do remember quite clearly the days when a new Bell Star cost the princely sum of £25.
Talking of collectable helmets, I do believe that Twinny of this parish is the custodian of an original period Chris Amon lid. :love:

#16 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:18

You are right Jimmy. Hope you are well.

Wasn't me, it was Mr Nisbet's memory on this occasion.

Another thought came up during the discussion. Who drove BOX 2?

Edited by JtP1, 23 February 2011 - 12:22.

#17 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 15:09

Wasn't me, it was Mr Nisbet's memory on this occasion.

Another thought came up during the discussion. Who drove BOX 2?

Was that not Bill Borrowman

#18 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 17:18

Was that not Bill Borrowman

No, he drove BOX 1. But Sportstune ran a second car at one point.

#19 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 955 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 18:55

I actually know a Guy over here that in Chinese is pronounced "Hung Low".

How did this end up in the gutter?

Posted Image