Photo

RAC Rally Minis '68-'72 (post-works)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 15:37

Hello TNF'rs, My first post so be gentle, I am seeking information and photos on two cars to begin with. The two Minis are car no.42 on the 71 RAC driven by Phil Cooper and co-driven by Chris Lord, entered as a Cooper S but in fact a 1275GT it retired early hours of day two in Scotland OTL after failing to repair a headgasket within the time allotted, the car had gone to BL Dealer near the Drumtochty SS29 stage to repair the car prior to tackling the stage, does anyone know what the name of the BL Dealership was? (Phil Cooper carried out the repair he just needed the facilities). I would be grateful for any photo's of this car, service area, stage or whatever you have.
The second Mini is car no.70 on the 72 RAC again crewed by Phil Cooper but with Mike Bennett back in the left hand seat (after the 4th O/A on the 68 event, including fine) the car entered this time incorrectly as a Clubman GT, was a 1275GT and retired spectacularly on SS8 Clocaenog when the offside radius arm, brake and Minilite wheel headed for the ditch whilst the car carried on any info or photos on this car would be gratefully received. Both cars were Group 2 with 1293 'S' motors the 72 car believed to be running split 45's as it was running with all the mechanical components incl. subframes eng and box from Phil Cooper's World Cup Group 6 car XJB 308H.
Many thanks for now.
Ade
Well that was a good start it ended up in the wrong forum, can this be moved to TNF

Edited by AbingdonST, 23 February 2011 - 15:44.

Advertisement

#2 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 15:52

Well that was a good start it ended up in the wrong forum, can this be moved to TNF

Probably best! Good luck.

#3 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 16:02

Probably best! Good luck.

Do you know how I move it to the other forum Tony or is the 'Good Luck' as in abandon hope all ye who enter here, kind of thing?
Ade
I have received the info on the TNF, wait for a moderator to move it.

Edited by AbingdonST, 23 February 2011 - 16:12.

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 17:17

Do you know how I move it to the other forum Tony or is the 'Good Luck' as in abandon hope all ye who enter here, kind of thing?
Ade
I have received the info on the TNF, wait for a moderator to move it.

Well, the 'good luck' was for your quest for info., but if I had to try to move a thread to another Forum I think I'd have the good ol' sweaty palms, dry mouth syndrome!

#5 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 17:28

Well, the 'good luck' was for your quest for info., but if I had to try to move a thread to another Forum I think I'd have the good ol' sweaty palms, dry mouth syndrome!

Thanks Tony, I will pay a little more attention before pressing the infernal computer operational activation interface buttons and that will save all this stress, thanks for your wishing me good luck in my search.
All the best
Ade

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 17:52

car no.42 on the 71 RAC driven by Phil Cooper and co-driven by Chris Lord

Was that the Chris Lord, the subsequent driver?

BTW, trying e-mailing Desmo to get this shifted.

#7 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 18:08

Was that the Chris Lord, the subsequent driver?

BTW, trying e-mailing Desmo to get this shifted.

Hello, yes that is HE, later to be Vauxhall and MazdaRX7 driver, I will email when home on works comp at moment,hush hush.
Ade
email sent to Desmo so hopefully it will be put right :up:

Edited by AbingdonST, 23 February 2011 - 19:13.

#8 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 21:47

Moved sorry about the wait, hope the TNF boffins can set you right.

#9 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:33

Moved sorry about the wait, hope the TNF boffins can set you right.

Thanks Desmo, now if we can all ignore the other thread about my lack of computer skills and concentrate on the subject in hand, we will all be able to sort out my problem and then get back to something more useful, thank you all for your support, I shall wear it often.
Ade

#10 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:44

thank you all for your support, I shall wear it often.
Ade
[/quote]

The old jokes are the best ones.

#11 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 13:34

thank you all for your support, I shall wear it often.
Ade

The old jokes are the best ones.

Yep got my Dad to thank for that one, all I ever heard growing up

Edited by AbingdonST, 24 February 2011 - 18:27.

#12 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:09

The second Mini is car no.70 on the 72 RAC again crewed by Phil Cooper but with Mike Bennett back in the left hand seat (after the 4th O/A on the 68 event, including fine) the car entered this time incorrectly as a Clubman GT, was a 1275GT and retired spectacularly on SS8 Clocaenog when the offside radius arm, brake and Minilite wheel headed for the ditch whilst the car carried on any info or photos on this car would be gratefully received. Both cars were Group 2 with 1293 'S' motors the 72 car believed to be running split 45's as it was running with all the mechanical components incl. subframes eng and box from Phil Cooper's World Cup Group 6 car XJB 308H.
Many thanks for now.
Ade

I have some film footage and possibly some photos from the 72 RAC taken by Eddie Whitham. He rallied a 1275 GT himself, so he may well have captured the very car. I will check!

#13 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:19

A bit of further info to jog memories, on the 72RAC the Mini was entered as the British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) Team entry, presumably because they were all active Race drivers as well as Rally men. the BARC Team was:
Phil Cooper/Mike Bennett...ClubmanGT (sic) ..Car 70
John Clegg/Mike Sutcliffe...Volvo 122S ...Car 105
Colin Vandervell/Andy Marriot... Ford Mexico...Car 132
also could have entered under the Ecurie Cod Fillet probably? anyway this may jog some slumbering cells into activity or at least lets me share what exceptional company my Mini kept, shame it let the side down by retiring on threewheels in Clocaenog.
Ade

#14 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:28

I have some film footage and possibly some photos from the 72 RAC taken by Eddie Whitham. He rallied a 1275 GT himself, so he may well have captured the very car. I will check!

Hello, that would be most appreciated, it is a long shot but there must be lots of folk out there who were taking photos any images are like gold dust, I was there myself but only 12 and I don't remember my car, typical.
Thanks for looking, here's hoping : :cat:

#15 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 20:27

I had responded to your post on the other forum.
As I said there, I was out on both events (the former as service crew, having originally entered in my 1275 S) but have no recollection of those cars. There seemed a virtual conspiracy by the press by then to ignore Minis - until in later years they became so scarce on the RAC that it was "quaint" to publish photos of them.

Edited by RS2000, 24 February 2011 - 22:59.

#16 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 20:36

I has responded to your post on the other forum, answering before the question was asked on this one. Strangely, that post has not been moved with the rest.

Yes I noticed that to, I replied to you on the old thread in this forum 'How do you move a post' and would be grateful if you kept a view on this thread, you never know when a penny might drop.
All the best
Ade

#17 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 00:17

Yes I noticed that to, I replied to you on the old thread in this forum 'How do you move a post' and would be grateful if you kept a view on this thread, you never know when a penny might drop.
All the best
Ade

AbingdonST/Ade; real name please?  ;)

#18 AbingdonST

AbingdonST

• 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 13:21

AbingdonST/Ade; real name please? ;)

No problem, Ade Wildsmith, aaargh I feel all exposed :wave:

#19 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 23:43

No problem, Ade Wildsmith, aaargh I feel all exposed :wave:

Never 'eard of you, welcome aboard, matey!  ;)