Photo

Our Christchurch friends...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 22:30

:D I Recently received a message from our Peter Leversedge in Christchurch to say that he is quite safe..which is good news.
Perhaps..if he has time .he may check with more of our motoring friends..making sure that they are safe..
Also that some of the classic car retail sale and..or classic car rebuilding copanies have escaped serious damage.. (ron )

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:52

:D I Recently received a message from our Peter Leversedge in Christchurch to say that he is quite safe..which is good news.
Perhaps..if he has time .he may check with more of our motoring friends..making sure that they are safe..
Also that some of the classic car retail sale and..or classic car rebuilding copanies have escaped serious damage.. (ron )

Nice sentiments, Ron.

My brother used to live there and loved it.

Best to All.

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:03

Nice sentiments, Ron.

My brother used to live there and loved it.

Best to All.

Had a message from Eoin Young last night. All is well with him in Christchurch but a little damage to his house.

#4 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:04

I rang my old rugby mate Jum ( as in Fush n Chups) in ChCh and he is fine. I get no (land line)phone answer from my historic motor racing contacts

Great place, Christchurch... I have very fond memories of people, places, and events there -- and remain anxious about it and them

Best wishes to all

#5 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:59

I rang and spoke Tuesday evening to vintage Norton man Simon Grigson who spends half a year in the UK and the rest in NZ about 45 miles from Christchurch. He is OK and he reports restorer Brian Black (of beaded edge rims etc) also OK but not sure about his works which may have suffered some damage. The cathedral spire was last damaged in 1888 so I guess earthquakes are not as unexpected as the press imply, but this was a bad one, 12 seconds of violent shaking.

Marticelli

#6 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:07

12 seconds? You are seeing different news to me!

What of 52 Stewart Street?

#7 kiwiboss

kiwiboss

• 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:08

I rang and spoke Tuesday evening to vintage Norton man Simon Grigson who spends half a year in the UK and the rest in NZ about 45 miles from Christchurch. He is OK and he reports restorer Brian Black (of beaded edge rims etc) also OK but not sure about his works which may have suffered some damage. The cathedral spire was last damaged in 1888 so I guess earthquakes are not as unexpected as the press imply, but this was a bad one, 12 seconds of violent shaking.

Marticelli

Yes, this is a bad one Marticelli, looks to be mainly CBD where unfortunatly the injuries and deaths have occured as alot of the old and older buildings have toppled and collapsed!!! stills lots of damage to out lying areas, its power, water, fuel shortage, roading damage causing problems!! one big mess that will take years to sort out, damn shame!! and very sad.

Its all over TV everyday down here.

Dale(NZL)

#8 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:14

12 seconds? You are seeing different news to me!

The 12 seconds was what Simon experienced 45 miles away from Chch CBD. And then aftershocks... Try counting for 12 seconds while imagining the whole world shaking... That sounds like a bad earthquake to me. The damage to old buildings is clearly severe, but some damage has been sustained by newish buildings which were supposed to be earthquake resistant.

Marticelli

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:35

Thoughts with them all. I have just flown in from the South Atlantic, but glad to hear from Graham that our mate Eoin is OK. I hope the damage to his place is not too bad.

DCN

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:50

....some damage has been sustained by newish buildings which were supposed to be earthquake resistant.

To be expected. If they hadn't been built to those standards they'd be worse than "damaged"

#11 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 13:08

Best wishes to our friends.

#12 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 14:39

To be expected. If they hadn't been built to those standards they'd be worse than "damaged"

Sorry to have to say that I don't agree. Seismic testing is something I had a fair bit to do with nearly forty years ago, and it really depends on the budget of the building owner. It is possible and sometimes essential to make a building almost completely earthquake proof, by building it on a sprung mass that isolates if from any seismic activity - when the ground shakes, the building remains stationary. For decades, all nuclear power stations and many other strategic installations have done this and lesser buildings in earthquake zones also commonly do this, but not evidently in Christchurch...

Marticelli

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 15:13

Sorry to have to say that I don't agree. Seismic testing is something I had a fair bit to do with nearly forty years ago, and it really depends on the budget of the building owner. It is possible and sometimes essential to make a building almost completely earthquake proof, by building it on a sprung mass that isolates if from any seismic activity - when the ground shakes, the building remains stationary. For decades, all nuclear power stations and many other strategic installations have done this and lesser buildings in earthquake zones also commonly do this, but not evidently in Christchurch...

Marticelli

This is a slightly misleading posting. "Earthquake resistant" design is risk-based. You combine the possible consequences with the likelihood of an event (wind, flood, earthquake , aircraft impact etc). As a nuclear power station being damaged in an earthquake has far more serious consequences you design for the effects of, say, the 1 in 500 year event. The consequences of damage to a house are less severe so you design for the lower effects of a more likely event, say the 1 in 20 year event. If the 1 in 50 year earthquake occurs the nuclear power station stands up and the house falls down.

The concept is easier to understand for things like wind or flood. It's windier on the West coast of Scotland than it is in London so the design wind speed, the 1 in 30 year storm (if I remember corerectly), is higher and the buildings are built to be stronger - eg more fixings holding the roof on. If a structure has a longer design life, say a bridge, the design wind speed is higher again. Or if the consequence of a failure is more serious then you increase the design speed further.

The Thames Barrier is designed for the 1 in 100 year flood while your local supermarket car park drains for something like the 1 in 10 year flood. So you have probably seen the latter flooded but we haven't (yet) seen the Barrier overtopped.

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:40

Thanks both

I am neither architect not engineer

But I suspect buildings in Wellington, on a known fault-line, would be more quake-resistance than those in Christchurch, where - until recently - major earthquakes were unlikely

#15 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:54

Don't know, don't care if it's not allowed here; but I'm saying a little prayer for them. Back to back earthquakes are hard to imagine.

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:58

I pinged an old schoolmate in Aukland to see if any of our other Old Boys lived around Christchurch, he knew none; but he, like other Auklanders, had opened his house to stranded tourists.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 28 February 2011 - 09:40.

#17 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 23:11

Sorry, I was too busy arguing about engineering design to say that I hope all our NZ friends and colleagues are OK.

#18 kiwiboss

kiwiboss

• 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:15

Sorry, I was too busy arguing about engineering design to say that I hope all our NZ friends and colleagues are OK.

The more modern 26 storey "Grand Chancellor Hotel" in the centre of Christchurch is still standing, on somewhat of a lean and about to collapse at anytime!! it done its job, everyone got out safe, can't ask for much more than that!!! building a new one's not a problem when everyone lives!!

Still, 113 dead as of tonight, very sad indeed.

Dale (NZL)

#19 flightlessbird

flightlessbird

• 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:58

Has anyone heard from Bob Denson?

Advertisement

#20 munty

munty

• 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:44

Hi all, For those out of Chch so far I have not heard of any motoring/racing people being deceased so fingers crossed that stays the same. Dead will top 300 they say. Over 30% off all buildings in the CBD will be pulled down if they have not already and the eastern suburbs are a mess. Things like Eastgate mall has collapsed along with the Palms mall. Still no water to most of CBD and eastern suburbs and now that the silt has dried the place is a bit of a dust bowl.
Anyway if anyone has questions I will try answer for you especially people as I work for Grant Silvester son of Ron so between us we know alot of the racing fraternity in Chch.
Cheers Evan

#21 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:56

:cat: Today I heard from Peter Leversedge who told me that he as not been on our forum recently as he hi tailed out of
Christchurch over to the West Coast of the South Island to get away from the never ending earthquake after shocks which
total well over 4000 now..and some are still over 4.2 on the scale..
He is quite safe although a good friend of Peters was in a building that collapsed..but got out safely..(but finished with a flattened car )
Peter still has not had electricity restored to his home yet..
I am sure we will welcome Peter back soon..

#22 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:22

:cat: ....never ending earthquake after shocks which total well over 4000 now..and some are still over 4.2 on the scale....

Man, as if ONE'S not enough!

Our Well Wishes and thoughts to all involved.

#23 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:51

:cat: Today I heard from Peter Leversedge who told me that he as not been on our forum recently as he hi tailed out of
Christchurch over to the West Coast of the South Island to get away from the never ending earthquake after shocks which
total well over 4000 now..and some are still over 4.2 on the scale..
He is quite safe although a good friend of Peters was in a building that collapsed..but got out safely..(but finished with a flattened car )
Peter still has not had electricity restored to his home yet..
I am sure we will welcome Peter back soon..

...Ronmac,not sure Peter has moved in the right direction,just heard on the Melbourne news that they had a Quake on the 'South Island's East Coast, its not Peter 'stumping 'his foot is it!!!!????....as a parting gesture. I'm Likely to express the sentiment..... "Stay Safe".....I couldn't mean it more to all my Christchurch Friends......regardsthunder427 :)

#24 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 20:42

Thanks for the kind messages to myself and the people of ChCh. Back from staying with Cousin Su for a few day at just north of Hector on the West Coast [no internet ] .They have their own hydro power station and are self sufficient. Arrived home to find the power and water reconnected which was nice Regards Peter, Brenda & Poppy [our miniture schnauner ]

#25 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:47

:cat: GOOD to see Peter back on deck...Latest news from Christchurch...You may have seen the huge boulder that rolled
down the hill and rolled right through the house and out the other side..It was offered on N.Z. Trade Me for sale and has
just been sold for$60.000.. Second highest bidder has won a trip for two..
Rocky The Rock was purchased by NZ Ski and will spend the rest of it.s life up at Mt Hutt Ski Field Car Park . (R.I.P )
Any one wishing to get latest news from Christchurch...may Google........chch press stuff.....and read up to date proceedings..

#26 flightlessbird

flightlessbird

• 60 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:44

Interesting photograph of the building damage

http://www.abc.net.a...beforeafter.htm

#27 donharper

donharper

• 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:01

Murray McLaren is well. House damaged but he still has a place to work.

#28 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:11

Good luck and best wishes to you all

#29 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:59

Heard a radio news item today, that Gavin Bain of Fazzazz (3z's or 4?) was very concerned that the building housing his Christchurch shop/emporium might be bulldozed before he had even had a chance to see what damage there was to his priceless collection of memorabilia. I gather it is in the zone that is still "no-go".

#30 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:48

Heard a radio news item today, that Gavin Bain of Fazzazz (3z's or 4?) was very concerned that the building housing his Christchurch shop/emporium might be bulldozed before he had even had a chance to see what damage there was to his priceless collection of memorabilia. I gather it is in the zone that is still "no-go".

Posted Image

3 z's (3 zs?) We were there in 2006 (I wonder what happened to my Southward hat!) I hope everything turns out okay for Mr. Bain. We are praying for our relatives on the north island, who have also been frightened by some tremors, but obviously not so severe as the south had, and for everyone concerned...dreadful!

Vince H.

#31 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:12

:clap: MY Friend ..Murray Baker.. valuable mechanic and engineer...and brother of David and Graham Baker..
is safe..as is his wife and family...Luckily Murray was away in the U.S.A. working on midgets...( the speedway
cars..not the people )

#32 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 13:06

Just back from weeks of travel. Please also spare a thought for our Japanese and Japanese-domiciled friends... Christchurch (sadly) with knobs on.

DCN

#33 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:01

:confused: Recent reports from Christchurch states that quake after shocks now total over 5000..
As my good friend Ray Snow said to me....I get pretty scared...I hate them...Hate them...!!!
Areas of Christchurch are being gradually opened up..block by block..
2000 to 3000 vehicles in the central city area are now being released to the owners (with proof of ownership )
The death toll is still at 161 (not over 300 as reported by the stupid media )
Mayor Parker has estimated that the cost to rebuild Christchurch hopefully will be between $10 billion and $15 billion,,
but could be up to $50 billion..
The Govt.earthquake,fire and flood commission has funds of about $9 bllion..by placing a levy of about $50 on each
home insurance premium.for the past many years.
The New Zealand Prime Minister has said that a higher levy may be placed on future insurance policies to help
pay for the full cost of the quake damage..
To date no motor racing or our motoring friends were known to have passed away or been badly hurt in the quake.

#34 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:07

:confused: Recent reports from Christchurch states that quake after shocks now total over 5000..

This story has been shamefully under-reported in the States — but "glad" to hear it wasn't worse.

It's also troublingly close in timeline to Japan. I hope the Rim takes a very long nap now.

#35 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:15

): TO Ei Pix....Thank you for your kind thoughts and comments...Problems in Japan really horrific...and sad to see..
A big earthquake in Christchurch was something we Catabrians did not think possible..and came as a real shock..
By the way ,spotted Bristol town on Bargain Hunt T.V. Looks like a tidy town..And an Avon River too..!

#36 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 18:52

): TO Ei Pix....Thank you for your kind thoughts and comments...Problems in Japan really horrific...and sad to see..
A big earthquake in Christchurch was something we Catabrians did not think possible..and came as a real shock..
By the way ,spotted Bristol town on Bargain Hunt T.V. Looks like a tidy town..And an Avon River too..!

You're welcome, glad the casualties weren't worse.

Your "Bristol Town" comment.... Huh? :confused:

#37 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 23:06

:eek: :eek: TO EI Pix...Yes you beat me to it.!!!! I realized 10 minutes ago that I confused you with Tim and Polly,, What they call
a Seniors Moment...Very Sorry....I know you are a Pikes Peak Person and Tim and Polly are Bristol Born Boys !!
And I only had one Jim Beam too ..!!

#38 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 23:34

THERE'S the problem (having only one). :drunk:

Edited by E1pix, 15 March 2011 - 23:35.

#39 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 13:54

:eek: :eek: TO EI Pix...Yes you beat me to it.!!!! I realized 10 minutes ago that I confused you with Tim and Polly,, What they call
a Seniors Moment...Very Sorry....I know you are a Pikes Peak Person and Tim and Polly are Bristol Born Boys !!

:rotfl: What you need, Ron, is a parrot to peck your ear when you get things wrong, but I'm glad that you got to see a bit of Bristol.

Sincere best wishes to all those affected by both the Christchurch quake and the dreadful happenings in Japan.

Advertisement

#40 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:19

;) Ys Tim...Very sad when us folk get old !!! As EI.Pix said..need more Jim Beams...Tim I had a look on Google earth maps
at Bristol city centre..looks tidy..and unusual how the narrow canal/river widens through the town and includes a floating marina,,
if i read it correctly ??
The large round structure .with hollow centre..what building is that..?? Does it need a nice garden there,,or am I looking at the roof.
Is the river called the Avon...same as christchurch ??
Pehaps Bristol could be a sister city of Christchurch ....??

#41 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:31

Tim I had a look on Google earth maps at Bristol city centre..looks tidy..and unusual how the narrow canal/river widens through the town and includes a floating marina,, if i read it correctly ?? The large round structure .with hollow centre..what building is that..?? Does it need a nice garden there,,or am I looking at the roof. Is the river called the Avon...same as christchurch ?? Pehaps Bristol could be a sister city of Christchurch ....??

Ron, the river is indeed the Avon (the name Avon derives from the old Celtic word for river, so you could say it's called the river River). The expanded wet bit in the city centre is the Floating Harbour. This was built around 200 years ago to cope with the extreme tidal nature of the Avon at Bristol, and allow a lot more ships to moor in the centre. There are locks to keep the water in when the tide goes out. If you're really bored you can read all about it here.

In the 1970s they used to hold the Bristol Powerboat Grand Prix in the floating harbour. This was amazing - the top powerboaters skimming and twitching across the waves doing 100 mph plus within a few feet of the solid dock walls. It couldn't last, of course, and came to an end after a few fatal accidents.

I think the round building you mean is Canon's House, which is the (very modern) UK HQ of Lloyd's Bank. The area between it and the harbour, which has a series of steps on it, has become a haven for skateboarders and the like.

I'd better go and do some reading-up on Christchurch now. :blush:

Edited by Tim Murray, 17 March 2011 - 10:38.

#42 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:06

I'm sure you'll find, Ron, that the first settlers in Christchurch named the river in nostalgic recognition of their beloved one back home in Bristol :)

#43 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 23:01

:rolleyes: Thank you David..Interesting...I did.nt know that there was that connection with Bristol ..England..
And that Bristol England was the home of Bristol aircraft..Bristol cars ( no not pairs of bristols )
David if you click onto CHCH PRESS today..there is a complete alphabetical list of all those who lost their lives
in the Christchurch quake..mostly with photos..
Today in Christchurch..there is a memorial service for those who died..attended by the Royal Prince Will..plus various
dignitaries and Prime Ministers..
I understand death toll total is 186..

#44 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 00:04

:rolleyes: Thank you David..Interesting...I did.nt know that there was that connection with Bristol ..England..

As an (adopted) Bristolian I'm sad to have to say that, according to the dreaded Wiki, the Christchurch Avon was named by pioneering Christchurch settlers the Deans brothers after one of the Scottish Avons:

http://en.wikipedia....er_(Canterbury)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Christchurch

And that Bristol England was the home of ... ( no not pairs of bristols )

We have some of those too. :p :rotfl:

#45 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:42

Today [Fri March 18th ] was Memorial Day in Christchurch NZ

Edited by Peter Leversedge, 18 March 2011 - 06:43.

#46 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 23:42

:rolleyes: HI TIM....I must explain that while I was born in New Zealand and spent most of my life in Christchurch,,about 20 years ago I moved camp..and came to the Gold Coast..Queensland to live..Though still regard Christchurch as my home town..and sad that the city has been badly knocked around..
Queensland is home to a number of retired Grand Prix / fI race drivers plus other drivers including Ron Rutherford...R.A. Zephyr race car driver...Dave Waldron Escort 2000 driver..Errol Inwood ..Rally Driver and speedway promoter.. etc etc..
Queensland is much warmer..better social life..more motor racing..interesting wild life (not to mention the clubs ) and Australia is better off financially..
I live in a retirement village which is 200 metres away from a reserve where I have seen over 120 wallabys (small kangaroos) at one time.. They make a very healthy food..but I don.t eat the meat..but kangaroo meat is often avaliable in super markets..

#47 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:56

Thanks Ron - I knew you were somewhere up Brisbane way. What does kangaroo meat taste like?

#48 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:05

Thanks Ron - I knew you were somewhere up Brisbane way. What does kangaroo meat taste like?

He's gonna say "Chicken," you watch! Rabbit?

#49 CarlRabbidge

CarlRabbidge

• 152 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:20

Thanks Ron - What does kangaroo meat taste like?

Beer !!!! it's all the hops.

#50 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:41

I vivdly recall Frank Gardner telling a story about a swagman convicted in Oz for eating an endangered species - I believe a platypus. Frank's pay-off line was that after sentencing the judge asked the defendant, "Just out of interest, what does platypus taste like?". And the swagman said "Oh pretty much like a cross between a Koala bear and a nail-tailed wallaby". Whereupon he faced another charge.

DCN