Photo

Jaguar Prototype V12

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 13:15

For those interested in the Jaguar prototype V12's "oily bits" I have posted a series of pictures taken during its recent stripdown/examination.

Jaguar XJ13 - Building the Legend

Advertisement

#2 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 166 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:44

Nev: please keep posting – this is all fascinating stuff. I was at the J D Classics breakfast a couple of weeks back (the one where Stirling Moss gave his talk) and spotted an XJ13 replica up on a lift in the storage area. The Hill car, with that four-cam engine built up from parts?

Re the chain-driven camshafts of your engine: this makes sense, at least according to the theory taught in the BSc course at Southampton University in the late 1970s, in that chains are a more efficient way of driving ancillaries than gear trains or shaft/bevel gear combinations. Can't remember the efficiency figure quoted for toothed belts, but I'll bet someone else around here can.

BTW I see that karl Ludvigsen is giving a presentation on the V12 engine at the Newcomen Piston Engine conference in Manchester in April. Don't ask me how I know...

#3 Nev

Nev

• 293 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:20

I was at the J D Classics breakfast a couple of weeks back (the one where Stirling Moss gave his talk) and spotted an XJ13 replica up on a lift in the storage area. The Hill car, with that four-cam engine built up from parts?

Thanks for the heads-up (as our American cousins say) on the V12 talk. I see that Anders Clausager (Jaguar Heritage Archivist) is also talking at the conference. I found a link to the programme Piston Engine Conference

Yes - the car at JD Classics is the car built by Bryan Wingfield for Walter Hill. I spent a whole day there having a good look at it up on the lift. I need to repair my sump and so wanted to see what was fitted to their car but it turned out to be rather different to what I am looking for. It is a "production" sump with no provision for the rear trailing arms mounting as on the XJ13. Although it has been criticised for being a particularly poor copy of the original Bryan really is a craftsman and it is beautifully put together. When you look at it under the skin you will see it is pure GT40 and very substantial. It may bear little relation to the XJ13 but I am sure it will run beautifully when it is nailed back together. There was a GT40 (Mark 3 I think) next to the car and it was interesting to compare suspension and structural details.

I must say that I was blown away by the JD Classics setup. So professional and full of true enthusiasts. It took me the best part of 6 hours to drive there (some clown decided to overturn their truck on the M1/M25 junction) but it was still worth the drive to see their amazing collection of cars and workshop facilities. I can really recommend a visit.

Here's a few pics of the Walter Hill car at JD Classics:

On ramp
Posted Image

Spot the GT40 similarity ....
Posted Image

S3 V12 E-Type front suspension
Posted Image

Rather "unfortunate" snub-nose
Posted Image

Edited by Nev, 28 February 2011 - 09:44.