Photo

Golden Era Auto Racing [GEAR] Club

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,042 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 23:41

I am wondering if there are any similar groups in other parts of the world. For the past few years it has been my pleasure to drive at GEAR meetings, without having to worry about someone running into my car, or paying huge dollars for a bit of driving pleasure. If you want to know more, Google Golden Era Auto Racing [ not sure how to do 'links'].

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:22

http://www.goldenerahistoric.com/

#3 Snapey

Snapey

• 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 19:41

Thanks for the link David, but that is not the group that Greg means. Here in New South Wales, Australia we have a club called G.E.A.R. - Golder Era Auto Racing Club Inc. and we 'compete' mainly at the Wakefield Park Circuit near Goulburn. The days are intended to be as simple, straight forward and FUN as possible and over driving is strictly forbidden. The club was originally instigated to give those with older cars (pre 1960 plus invited individuals) that were being pushed out of the regular meetings by the rising popularity and greater numbers of the new classes, a chance to run with a group of like minded people with safety and value for money being top priorities. No trophies are handed out other than those that recoginise people for being in the true spirit of the group and we basically take turns at being called the winner. 'Diving in under brakes' is a great way to get told to go home and without the strees and worry of 'competition' and the chance of damaging your machinery you suddenly discover that motor racing is not just an adenaline rush - it is also an enormous amount of fun!

So that is GEAR in a nut shell. We do not, so far as I am aware, have a web site as yet but that situation is being rectified.

Oh and Greg - I wouldn't be all that surprised if, in this day and age of high prices and big egos, our GEAR club was more or less unique - except of course for the other clubs such as 'GEAR Queensland' that we already know of and are also based on our original model.

Regards

Matt Snape
GEAR Member #14

Edited by Snapey, 10 March 2011 - 19:46.

#4 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:32

Welcome to TNF, Matt, good to have you on here flying the GEAR flag. Actually GEAR does have a website ; goldeneraautoracing.com

Dick Willis GEAR member #9

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:12

One of the cost-cutting measures of the GEAR days is that they are held mid-week...

This keeps track hire costs down as well as taking pressure off accommodation prospects etc.

Matt (and Dick) don't mention that the great success of the GEAR days has been the expansion to have '2nd GEAR' for later cars, with the meetings (last I heard) held on consecutive days at Wakefield Park and some of those there for GEAR days officiating, flag waving etc for 2nd GEAR while some of the 2nd GEAR blokes do the same for GEAR days.

#6 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:27

Well done you guys, sounds like loads of fun! Fun? Remember that thing we used to have when air was clean and sex was dirty? The best comment I had about the fun of participation rather than winning was from VSCC Edwardian competitor Richard Black who said that the best place to spectate an Edwardian race was from midfield. Having been there and done that, I couldn't agree more. No reason why you shouldn't try and win too, but there's more to racing than that as there's only ever one winner, and a whole grid full of 'losers'.

Marticelli

#7 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 19:39

I met a member of GEAR at the Revival this year and he told me it was all about 'Old Farts in Old Cars'.

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,042 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 20:28

Sounds as though he was in a hurry. There's a bit more to GEAR than that!

#9 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 20:40

I really like the sound of it--it was what we started doing years ago an when Old Racing Cars needed excercise-not running a heavily modified (insert brand) saloon on virtual slicks with more horsepower than sense.
But isn't this the same idea as track days?

#10 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,042 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 23:48

I really like the sound of it--it was what we started doing years ago an when Old Racing Cars needed excercise-not running a heavily modified (insert brand) saloon on virtual slicks with more horsepower than sense.
But isn't this the same idea as track days?

A bit better than a track day, in that there is a bit more [but not too much] organization. The owner/driver fills out the scrutineering sheet [who better?] Cars/drivers run in groups, according to lap times and experience. Newcomers are offered help, if needed, from experienced drivers, and run in a separate group.

Not only are the Old Racing Cars getting their 'excercise', but so are the Old Racing Drivers.