Photo

Pom raises the roof

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 13:01

One of the (many) intriguing features of Saturday's Pomeroy Trophy was that some of the tests had to be completed with hood raised (if fitted). Some cars' hood was actually quite stylish, such as Tony Lees' Vauxhall 30/98 and William Elbourn's Bentley ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Others reminded me more of Monsieur Hulot's (?) Amilcar, if you know your Jacques Tati:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course, the winning Blakeney-Edwards Frazer-Nash Saloon avoided all such embarrassment and was actually quite stylish (imho):

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 13:31

Of course, the winning Blakeney-Edwards Frazer-Nash Saloon avoided all such embarrassment and was actually quite stylish (imho):

Posted Image

...and you can see why the car that it was based on was called "Owlet".
Posted Image

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 14:46

Another view, as seen at last year's Revival.
Posted Image
click on image for large view
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 28 February 2011 - 14:47.

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 17:32

Posted Image

The first time I saw a (period) photograph of that car I fell in love with it! Apart from my interest in Frazer Nash and GN, the shape just looks perfect to me. My father rebuilt a little Anzani FN, and that look really nice with the hood up, like a little peaked cap.

#5 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 19:29

More pictures from the Pom can be found at www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/rbmapics free to download as always.

#6 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 21:10

The first time I saw a (period) photograph of that car I fell in love with it! Apart from my interest in Frazer Nash and GN, the shape just looks perfect to me. My father rebuilt a little Anzani FN, and that look really nice with the hood up, like a little peaked cap.

Have to agree, Tony - from the moment it almost ran me over on Saturday leaving the Silverstone paddock :) , I thought that was a rather special vintage vehicle (or, pedantically, tribute to one). Even though it's probably horrendously hot and noisy inside, well, I'd like to be there. Probably not unconnected with being allowed as a lad to pump up the tank pressure on great-uncle's CMH 500, which he was instrumental in reuniting with its proper engine.

#7 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,099 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 21:32

One of the (many) intriguing features of Saturday's Pomeroy Trophy was that some of the tests had to be completed with hood raised (if fitted). Some cars' hood was actually quite stylish, such as Tony Lees' Vauxhall 30/98 and William Elbourn's Bentley ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Others reminded me more of Monsieur Hulot's (?) Amilcar, if you know your Jacques Tati:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That reminds me of the happy days in my 30/98 [E 366]. We rarely raised the hood, but when it was raised, it was nothing to be ashamed of!

John Giddy [the Guru] once said "Driving a 30/98 with the hood up, was like being in a tent with a Brass Band playing". :lol:

#8 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:31

Presumably the open Nash cars were designed for folks who regularly wore a top hat? ;)

What are the bits of yellow tape for on some of the cars?

Edited by elansprint72, 01 March 2011 - 09:33.

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:37

I'm sure Patrick Blakeney-Edwards would build another for you, if you asked nicely!

#10 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:05

What are the bits of yellow tape for on some of the cars?

Presumably markers for the point to which tow hooks etc should be attached in the event of a mishap and recovery is necessary.
Roger Lund

#11 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:10

I'm sure Patrick Blakeney-Edwards would build another for you, if you asked nicely!

And presumably crossed his palm with enough money... Then there would be at least two replicas... Is there a genuine one surviving or would that be too much to expect?

Marticelli

#12 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:20

I think I made the mistake of assuming that it was the original, once lost, found and restored. Judging by Allan's post it must be a replica - still like it though!

#13 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52

Cross his palm with lots of dosh and make sure you get one of those super quick engines!

Patch,Mr Blakney Edwards has now won Pom four times in FN.things.The boy does well.

Talbots won them in 60/70's so they changed rules.

Like idea of the saloons.

#14 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:03

The original "Owlet" at the 1928 Ards TT.
"The saloon No.37 is the "Owlet", a Weymann bodied 'Nash built for Mrs Burt but raced in the TT by H.J.Aldington, where it retired with a collapsed piston. This car lost its saloon body in the post-War era, and now, fitted with an Aston-Martin engine by, is still very much alive."

I found it entertaining watching the other 'Nashes being hustled around "Brooklands" & "Luffield", from lock to lock, while PB-E guides his past them, steering with the throttle.

#15 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:06

Couldn't agree more, but the funny thing is how many perfectly restorable saloons have been destroyed to make open tourers or boy racers.... Countless Bentleys, Lagondas and even more modest things like Jaguar and Riley saloons have been 'recreated' as Le Mans replicas, SS100s or what have you. Hard to find a real example of such things for the avalanche of fakes going around. It may yet get a bit like Brescias and 250Fs, where there are probably more 'survivors' than originally were built!

Marticelli

#16 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,801 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:54

Happy to oblige:

Posted Image

(Or maybe not quite what you had in mind?).

#17 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 13:01

Happy to oblige:

(Or maybe not quite what you had in mind?).

Andy Cawley up, as we say. That'll take some living down at the tyre shop - or the King Billy pub meeting!

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 13:02

He would certainly be favourably handicapped in the Pom with THAT distance from the pedal footwell bulkhead to the simlar one at the rear of the back seat. There should be an extra bonus for all those doors. They were surprisingly versatile cars, especially one up. We ran 2 for a customer in 1990/93ish with 2litre autos.
Roger Lund

#19 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 13:55

Admittedly its nearly forty years since I did a Pom. but the rules required then that open cars had to put the roof up, I assume to stop sports racing cars being able to particiapte.