Photo

Lotus 12 & 16 of Anthony Brooke

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 14:12

Does anyone know the current where-abouts of these two cars, please? I have some paper-work relating to these cars and it would be nice to put them together with the cars. Thanks.
Nathan

Advertisement

#2 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 16:10

Does anyone know the current where-abouts of these two cars, please? I have some paper-work relating to these cars and it would be nice to put them together with the cars. Thanks.
Nathan

Is this the same Anthony Brooke who for many years ran the ex Raymond Mays Vauxhall Villiers in vintage racing? I believe he died in the late 1990s?
If it was he was the Brooke in Brooke-Bond PG Tips Tea, Sponsors of Surtees in the 70s. I bought some books from him in the late 80s, not a particularly happy deal as we travelled about 200 miles to meet him in Yorkshire, put the list he had sent me in front of him and he ran a finger down it saying "sold that...sold that....didn't have that one when I looked..."
Came away with very little except an empty fuel tank on the car....

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 16:10

I believe Brooke used parts of both to build one car, a 16, which is at present owned by Eddie McGuire (UK)

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 16:33

Nathan

Nathan, please check your PM

#5 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:32

Gents, many thanks for your help.
Nathan

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 15:52

Is this the same Anthony Brooke who for many years ran the ex Raymond Mays Vauxhall Villiers in vintage racing? I believe he died in the late 1990s?
If it was he was the Brooke in Brooke-Bond PG Tips Tea, Sponsors of Surtees in the 70s. I bought some books from him in the late 80s, not a particularly happy deal as we travelled about 200 miles to meet him in Yorkshire, put the list he had sent me in front of him and he ran a finger down it saying "sold that...sold that....didn't have that one when I looked..."
Came away with very little except an empty fuel tank on the car....

So is it the same person?....mentioned at the bottom of this page with the Vauxhall Villiers. Intersting the involvement with bob sleiighing too.

http://www.hampsthwa...lagehistory/342

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 16:37

I don't know how accurate the rest of the info on that site may be, but no British team has ever won the Olympic gold medal for the four-man bobsleigh. We did win the World Championships in 1937 and 1938, and the Olympic two-man title in 1964.

Edited by Tim Murray, 14 April 2013 - 16:39.

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:34

I don't know how accurate the rest of the info on that site may be, but no British team has ever won the Olympic gold medal for the four-man bobsleigh. We did win the World Championships in 1937 and 1938, and the Olympic two-man title in 1964.

Probably should have read 2 man bob then?

Isn't it always worrying when you hear someone who talks a lot stray into something you know about, and it's wrong? Makes you doubt everything else.

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:57

Makes you doubt everything else.

Yes indeed, very much so.

This Ancestry page on the Brookes of Brooke Bond tea shows that Anthony was the grandson of Arthur Brooke who founded Brooke Bond:

Arthur Brooke married in 1875, to a woman by the name of Alice Catherine Young. Alice was the daughter of a Naval Captain. Arthur Brooke started the Brooke Bond Tea Company.

Arthur and Alice had 3 boys, Gerald Brooke, Rupert Brooke and Justin Brooke.

Rupert Brooke married Norah Wilson. Norah's father was a renowned Professor of Music in Manchester, England. Norah Wilson was born May 16th, 1890.

Rupert and Norah Brooke had the following children:

Anthony Brooke
Burnham Brooke
Phillip Brooke

Phillip had 2 sons Roger and Martin Brooke.

#10 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 22:45

And was there honey still for tea?

#11 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 22:47

Yes, I know...

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray