Photo

Shell Oils vintage Ferrari TV commercial (2011)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:23

Video here (You-Tube)

Shell Oil had Ferrari bring a selection of their historic racing cars and drove them through various city streets around the world.

Advertisement

#2 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:31

Thanks IM, that cheered me up!

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:32

Chris Amon's helmet doesn't look quite right!  ;)

I wonder just how they did that.

#4 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 17:43

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony

#5 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:22

Chris Amon's helmet doesn't look quite right! ;)

I wonder just how they did that.

Advert is originally from 2007

Here you go Barry :)

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 04 March 2011 - 18:23.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:27

Chris Amon's helmet doesn't look quite right!  ;)

Maybe Pete Aron got his old job back on reduced pay :rolleyes:

#7 harbee

harbee

• 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 23:10

Maybe Pete Aron got his old job back on reduced pay :rolleyes:

Anyone remember the one where an Audi Quattro was inserted onto film of the 1959 British G.P. at Aintree, problem is I can't remember what it was advertising! :lol:

#8 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 13:28

Anyone remember the one where an Audi Quattro was inserted onto film of the 1959 British G.P. at Aintree, problem is I can't remember what it was advertising! :lol:

Shell petrol, wasn't it?

Andy

#9 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 14:20

Heck, I still remember a Shell commercial from the early 60's with Phil Hill driving a Ferrari California (or was it a 250 PF Cabriolet), demonstrating how much faster it accelerated on Shell gasoline. I wonder if that's one YouTube....

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 15:58

People who are better at searching than me will find previous threads on this - it was filmed using HGPCA members' cars and an Audi on a UK circuit, with turf laid over the kerbs to look like the 1950s (was it Snetterton?). I think the tagline was something like 'you wouldn't use a 40-year-old car, don't use a 40-year-old oil', and implying that a Quattro would beat a Cooper T51.

Paul M

#11 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:29

Yes I do, since I was there providing product technical support to the production. The ad was promoting Shell Gemini Multigrade engine lubricant. The theme was that passenger cars had evolved since 1959 to the point where they were performance competitive with 1959 F1 cars. The message was that engine lubricants had also evolved and that there were performance benefits available from selecting high performance multigrade engine oils such as Shell Gemini. So the time was right to upgrade one's thinking about selecting engine oil. And yes it was filmed at Snetterton. To the best of my recollection it involved some novel technology for the time allowing the Audi(alone) to be in colour and while the rest was in black & white to blend with the historic footage. I also recall they had a pretty cool camera car to do some of the filming. And yes the Audi Quattro was capable of beating the Cooper T51, other wise they wouldn't have allowed the idea for the ad. There was a lot of debate about this and the controversy it might create! If I remember correctly someone even figured out from the number plate that the Audi although red in the ad was actually white. I can't remember if it was actually repainted red or if it was digitally repainted red in the film? It was a fun project.

Edited by Stephen Miller, 08 March 2011 - 17:58.

#12 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:01

Shell petrol, wasn't it?

Andy

Oops... :blush:
Well, it was Shell, anyway.

Edited by frp, 08 March 2011 - 21:01.

#13 harbee

harbee

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:39

I think I'm a bit disappointed now :lol: Bit like when I read that the Dodge Challenger used in the film "Vanishing Point" was a flat-rib straight six, with a racing V-8 sound dubbed on. And I was even more disappointed when I read how they acheived the collision with the Bulldozers. :eek:

#14 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:44

That Shell ad was filmed on real location with real cars - there's a "making of.." doco on Youtube. They really did run a racing car up that very narrow street in Hong Kong! Ditto Times Square, the Colosseum, etc etc.