Turbocharged 159 ci Offy on gas?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:25

Hi,
Would anyone of you gentlemen, have any information and recommendations for running a 159 turbo-Offy on gasoline rather than booze? I DREAD the pickling after and the procedure before running the car, and since this would be for demo only, why not running the thing on racing gas so that I don't have to go through that little nightmare every time I run the car?
I am told by several parties that it would run like cr*p, but another knowledgeable gentleman told me today that this kind of talk is bunk and it should run just fine, even if a bit warmer, with minor mods to the settings.
This is a 36-degree engine with the standard Hilborn injection. I would be running low boost. I assume that I need smaller jets and maybe a small external tank (maybe 1 quart?) placed high, just to get the thing started, and some tuning of the check valves?
Advice eagerly sought... thanks in advance! :)

Advertisement

#2 ray b

ray b

• 2,948 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:05

I would not but never owned a offie

ak runs way cooler and way more fuel use then gas

and uses a higher C/R as ak is not as likely to knock

gas may knock baddly and be pig rich tooo even off turbo

ethanol maybe better or a E85 15%gas 85% ak but less corrosive then methanol

#3 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:25

You may know all of the info. in the linked article by Rolla Vollstedt. If so I apologize, if not it might give some clues as to what you need to do on gasoline.

http://home.earthlin...startoffy1.html

Also will you use Avgas , it might help with the posible knock probelms.

#4 horizon

horizon

• 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:37

Yes, It can be done. Will need a lot of changes to the Fuel system, Icluding adding a "anti vapor" tank , change the scroll or barrel valve, check/Change the Fuel tank pick up and returns, The high speed and low speed valving and adding one way check valves. Compression of the engine might be a concern, But usually with a turbo, Compression is less than a atmo engine anyway.

Fun project :)

Edited by horizon, 05 March 2011 - 16:38.

#5 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 19:48

You may know all of the info. in the linked article by Rolla Vollstedt.

Indeed. and this is one the things that scared me! :lol:

Thanks to all for the good advice and suggestions here and on my PMs. The whole idea here is to run the cars in slow (up to 150 MPH) demos on ovals, so HP is not an issue, simple operation is. :well: