Photo

Tom Pryce; a third of a century has passed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 17:36

..I think there was a server error earlier today - hence the blank post.

I was just gently reminding everybody that it is no less than 34 years ago today that we lost Tom. I was in Cardiff celebrating Wales' latest victory over England at the Arms Park when the numbing news came in. Remember it like yesterday.

So, depending on your perspective in life, please either say a quiet prayer/raise a glass/pause for thought and rejoice in all that Tom quietly achieved.

Never forgotten.

Edited by bill moffat, 05 March 2011 - 17:40.

Advertisement

#2 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 18:19

I also remember it only too well - I was sitting in the car in a car park in Stoke on Trent waiting for my then girlfriend, now wife, to return from a shop, when it came over the radio. When she came back to the car she found me crying my eyes out. I guess it really hit me hard as I was a regular fire marshal at the time and had talked to Tom after he slid off into the barrier at my feet at Old Hall at Oulton Park a year or two before. Seemed like a nice guy even though he was very upset at falling off - especially as it was on his out lap from the pits on the way to the grid.

#3 seccotine

seccotine

• 129 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 22:35

I heard the news on the French radio and the accident was mentionned in passing...
Terrible day.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 23:53

Practising for the forthcoming 10 Tors trek on Dartmoor with my pocket radio to hand to hear if Ronnie had won at Kyalami and stunned to hear the news

#5 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 15:45

Unfortunately, I was there at the exact point of impact that day. Tom was a fantastic person, always said hello to me. Truly missed.

#6 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:21

Hmm, was at Kyalami yesterday and re read the memorial that is in the Marshall's Club last night. Felt a bit surreal to me at the time.

#7 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 13:41

Tom Pryce and Frederik Jansen van Vuuren remembered ..................... RIP

#8 ysgol2

ysgol2

• 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 20:57

Tom Pryce and Frederik Jansen van Vuuren remembered ..................... RIP

I saw a documentary in Welsh about him some years ago, I remember his father saying how Tom so admired Ronnie Peterson and that Colin Chapman wanted him at Lotus but he was loyal to Shadow. He was fastest earlier that week in Kyalami in the rain. I heard about his death on the BBC news and couldn't believe it and in a way still can't....such a ridiculous, sad, sad accident.

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:02

Never easy to accept the loss of one we admire so greatly, and deeply.

I also can hardly believe it's been so long.... RIP, Mr. Pryce.