Photo

Men with too much time

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:44

I came across this the other day, reminded me of the French postman and his Ferrari.

Men with too much time on their hands, and way more skill and patience than I will ever have!!

http://modelenginene...agle/index.html

There's also a blog somehwere of someone making a scratch build Lotus 49, brass monocoque, lathed wheels and moulding his own tyres, so I thought, what about a thread with links to these sort of sites that just stagger the mind that there are people with such application to their art.

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:13

Quite staggering!! I wonder how his marriage is.

I particularly like Barry's recommendation regarding browsers at the foot of the page.  ;)

#3 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:29

I once encountered a guy (who might be the self-same Barry Hares) who lived in Derby whose hobby was building fifth scale models of RR aeroengines, perfect in every detail and runners in theory although I don't think he did run them on fuel, just on compressed air. I have no details of the chap, but he also had a collection of old RR aeroengines in sheds in his back garden. IIRC he supplied a complete restored RR Kestrel to power the Hawker Hind that was found in Afghanistan and is now seen flying at Shuttleworth airshows from time to time.

There is a definitive web site for such matters though, which is http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/ This never fails to amaze me, but personally I like to build full scale models, aka 'restorations' of actual vehicles using as many original parts as I can find and making the rest. I can then drive or ride rather than make models, which I used to do as a youngster.

Marticelli

Edited by Marticelli, 07 March 2011 - 12:36.

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:21

That site somes it up doesn't it, there are so many very very clever people about, just wish I was one of them!

#5 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:44

I am doing my best to help someone who is making a 1/4 scale working model Ferrari V10. Astonishing - not least the kit he is having to invest in. To see tiny injectors spraying fuel under electronic command at the right rate and time is astonishing.

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:48

I am doing my best to help someone who is making a 1/4 scale working model Ferrari V10. Astonishing - not least the kit he is having to invest in. To see tiny injectors spraying fuel under electronic command at the right rate and time is astonishing.

And that from one craftsmen about another!

#7 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:06

...there are so many very very clever people about.....

There is also a breed of clever people who make something wonderful out of almost nothing... Take a look at http://oddstuffmagaz...ton-ghetti.html Boggles the mind, and he must fear the day some guy needs a pencil to write something and destroys a work of art in the process

Marticelli

#8 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:10

And that from one craftsmen about another!

Very kind of you Steve, but mine don't have to work!

#9 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:12

When I see these things I am moved to wonder why. I am reminded of one verse in 19th Nervous Breakdown

Your mother who neglected you
Owes a million dollars tax
And your father's still perfecting ways
Of making sealing wax

I did see his Merlin engine in the 1982 exhibition and also a 1/4 scale 4 cylinder Offenhauser from America, and was very impressed and, indeed, marvelled at the skill and ingenuity of it all, but still wondered - Why?. I wondered why because there is a real world where spectacles aren't held together with Elastoplast®, where once in a blue moon the engineer eats something other than cheese sandwiches - All this is, of course, a gross exaggeration, but you get the picture. I feel it is a waste of talent, of abilities which could be put to better use - Just another of my worthless opinions.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 07 March 2011 - 15:12.

#10 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 15:25

I did see his Merlin engine in the 1982 exhibition and also a 1/4 scale 4 cylinder Offenhauser from America, and was very impressed and, indeed, marvelled at the skill and ingenuity of it all, but still wondered - Why?. I wondered why because there is a real world where spectacles aren't held together with Elastoplast®, where once in a blue moon the engineer eats something other than cheese sandwiches - All this is, of course, a gross exaggeration, but you get the picture. I feel it is a waste of talent, of abilities which could be put to better use - Just another of my worthless opinions.

I have some sympathy with that view, in other words, I know some people think that of modellers and their creations, and I understand that they have little interest in it themselves. However, trying to spread thhe enthusiasm is a wasted effort, it either grabs you or it doesn't. I wouldn't want to embark on a model project that was bound to take years, whereas I would on a full-size job - although, having said that, I'm dragging my heels. Certainly if I had the time and money necessary for a 1/5 scale 24 cylinder sleeve valve aero-engine, I would rather invest it in something I could eventually drive or fly.

#11 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:32

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Thanks for the great link. I've met this gentleman at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg national meet over the years as he hand-built this beautiful SJ Duesenberg. His name is Louis Chenot and has been named as "Metalworking Craftsman of the Decade" award winner for 2011 for his efforts on the Duesenberg.

http://www.craftsman....com/chenot.htm

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:47

I see he used to frequent Randy Ema's shop. I wonder if his wife knew.

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:36

I think that will be lost on 't'other side of the pond, John :lol:

#14 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:43

I see he used to frequent Randy Ema's shop. I wonder if his wife knew.

I think that will be lost on 't'other side of the pond, John :lol:

It only took the better part of the hour for me to "get it".

#15 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 18:47

This has been previously posted on a TNF thread about the Spitfire, but it certainly belongs here:- http://www.su27.de/seite1.htm

Nice of the bloke's wife to breed just so the child's growth can be used to illustrate the project's progress. :-)

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:21

A lot of you will probably remember this Ferrari 312P model which works, in every detail, like the real thing.

I remember seeing (and hearing) it at Retromobile some years back and it was something quite special.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Pierre_Scerri

#17 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:34

There is also a breed of clever people who make something wonderful out of almost nothing... Take a look at http://oddstuffmagaz...ton-ghetti.html Boggles the mind, and he must fear the day some guy needs a pencil to write something and destroys a work of art in the process

Marticelli

Boggle. :eek:

I remember seeing something similar in an old Blue Peter annual, except it was done with matches.

#18 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:53

When I see these things I am moved to wonder why...

I feel it is a waste of talent, of abilities which could be put to better use - Just another of my worthless opinions.

I wonder why not. Seems a great use of idle time.

#19 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:14

You could argue that Vincent van Gogh could have spent his time more profitably than daubing paint on canvas. after all, he never made any money out of it...

Advertisement

#20 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:25

You could argue that Vincent van Gogh could have spent his time more profitably than daubing paint on canvas. after all, he never made any money out of it...

He was also crazy as a sh*thouse rat. Maybe they all are.

But these creations are all beautiful.

Never question beauty.

#21 IrishMariner

IrishMariner

• 220 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:32

Via Core77, here's how Johannes Langeder Constructed His Pedal-Powered Porsche & Ferrari

#22 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,007 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:58

Quite staggering!! I wonder how his marriage is.

'Marriage?' Yeah right.

I recall this - not as impressive but an achivement in its own right: http://www.autoblog....bessive-f1-fan/

And this. I guess being a dentist would help with the sculpting and working in tight spaces... http://www.dudecraft...cale-model.html

There are some wonderfully clever people out there. Have you read Nevil Shute's 'The Trustee of the Toolroom'?

Bruce Moxon