Changing gears on F1 cars

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ringers23q

ringers23q

• 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 21:58

Hi All,

I have always wondered about this. Back before the days of flappy paddles, semi-automatic gearboxes and ignition cut-shift mechanisms everything was obviously done manually. Due to the cars having dog-engagement type gearboxes, I was just wondering what were the different methods used to change gears. I am a big fan of onboard footage of F1 cars and have noticed the different styles. But which one is the most efficient and which one is the least harmful on the gearbox?

- Lifting the throttle slightly to break the load on upchange whilst pre-loading the shifter
- Dabbing the clutch slightly: More like a synchromesh gearchange

Any other methods?

Many Thanks,
Ryan

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 23:12

Hi All,

I have always wondered about this. Back before the days of flappy paddles, semi-automatic gearboxes and ignition cut-shift mechanisms everything was obviously done manually. Due to the cars having dog-engagement type gearboxes, I was just wondering what were the different methods used to change gears. I am a big fan of onboard footage of F1 cars and have noticed the different styles. But which one is the most efficient and which one is the least harmful on the gearbox?

- Lifting the throttle slightly to break the load on upchange whilst pre-loading the shifter
- Dabbing the clutch slightly: More like a synchromesh gearchange

Any other methods?

Many Thanks,
Ryan

To cause the least harm to a gearbox employ a Michele Alboreto...

#3 ringers23q

ringers23q

• 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:29

Yes, I always heard his gearchanges were silky smooth and would rival the quickness of a DSG gearbox. What was his style?

#4 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:05

Here's the method recommended by Hewland

http://www.hewland.c...vga/advice.html

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:27

Yes, I always heard his gearchanges were silky smooth and would rival the quickness of a DSG gearbox. What was his style?

It wan't the style so much as that he had sympatico, a natural feel for mechanical things, that essential element which allows drivers to progress quickly without damaging the car. We have all known people who seem to just understand how things work and can successfully operate and mend machinery they have never seen before, when tis is combined with the ability to drive very quickly you get a racing driver beloved by mechanics and top of the list for your Le Mans project!

Edited by Bloggsworth, 11 March 2011 - 10:28.