Photo

Silverstone British GP Parking and a few questions...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 507 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:49

I havent been to the british GP since 2006.

I would like to go this year and looking at buying the 3 day general admin ticket.

What is the situation with parking? why is park and ride being enforced? Is there anyway to park at the circuit? extra cost ?

What about centre transfer, I notice thats not sold anymore, can you still get to the inside of vale?

Advertisement

#2 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 20:59

Parking is free on Friday, but you'll need to display a pass for Saturday and Sunday which will set you back £40-odd and is only sold to those buying more than two tickets. You'll end up parking in the fields opposite the circuit.

Park & ride seems to be very much en vogue in an attempt to cut down on congestion and lower carbon emissions etc. It's not too bad to be honest, so long as you get to the sites early doors.

About the only accessible part of the circuit from the middle is the new Farm/Village section. Everywhere else is off-limits.

#3 covphoenix

covphoenix

• 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 21:29

I havent been to the british GP since 2006.

I would like to go this year and looking at buying the 3 day general admin ticket.

What is the situation with parking? why is park and ride being enforced? Is there anyway to park at the circuit? extra cost ?

What about centre transfer, I notice thats not sold anymore, can you still get to the inside of vale?

Hi Fondmetal, i have 2 3 day general tickets with camping (for 2) at woodlands official silverstone campsite that i will probably be selling if you're interested. The reason for (probable) sale is that i have sorted out accomodation elsewhere now, and want to buy grandstand tickets because we wont get to the track as early to get good GA viewing. Let me know if this may be of interest to you.

Covphoenix

#4 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:25

Im gonna bump this a little. Me + my sister are making Silverstone '11 our first GP (Were meant to go to Monza last year but life got in the way). I really do not have a clue on the practical side of things, so could use some advice. Things like food, drink (ok booze, i like my drink!), can we bring as much as we like into the campsite, or do we have to sneak stuff in and out? We're planning on flying in to Luton then getting to Silverstone via bus. Is this the best way to do it? I know it means we have to be up very early Monday morning to get our buses back to Luton airport but it seems the cheapest way to me. Any advice/input would be appreciated!

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 20:00

Im gonna bump this a little. Me + my sister are making Silverstone '11 our first GP (Were meant to go to Monza last year but life got in the way). I really do not have a clue on the practical side of things, so could use some advice. Things like food, drink (ok booze, i like my drink!), can we bring as much as we like into the campsite, or do we have to sneak stuff in and out? We're planning on flying in to Luton then getting to Silverstone via bus. Is this the best way to do it? I know it means we have to be up very early Monday morning to get our buses back to Luton airport but it seems the cheapest way to me. Any advice/input would be appreciated!

No need to sneak anything in, you can take as much as you like. I never buy anything on site and my mate and I have a rucksack each filled with booze (beer) for during the day, plus a bag of crisps in case we get peckish. BBQ is usually the way to go in the evening.

We always drive there so can't really offer any advice about the buses.

#6 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:38

No need to sneak anything in, you can take as much as you like. I never buy anything on site and my mate and I have a rucksack each filled with booze (beer) for during the day, plus a bag of crisps in case we get peckish. BBQ is usually the way to go in the evening.

We always drive there so can't really offer any advice about the buses.

Thats exactly the info i was looking for man :up: i heard buying beer on site will cost you an arm and a leg!

#7 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:38

Thats exactly the info i was looking for man :up: i heard buying beer on site will cost you an arm and a leg!

Mate, I got some mini-cooler bags last year, they can take about 8 500ml tinnies. They had a carry strap and they worked a treat. Obviously 8 tins stretched over the whole day isn't much, so we had to buy a couple of beers late on, but on the whole it saved a small fortune!

#8 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 22:12

Something like £3.50 plus for a watered down pint of Lager. Crate in the old backpack. Jobs a good un. It's even better later in the day, as the bag get lighter and so does your head :stoned:

#9 spunko

spunko

• 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 14:13

Never been to a GP before what can i expect in terms of support races for silverstone

#10 nugat

nugat

• 114 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 14:58

Never been to a GP before what can i expect in terms of support races for silverstone

You'll get the Porsche Supercup and GP2 races, there's usually a couple of others too. Silverstone hasn't published the 2011 timetable yet,
but Google for the 2010 timetable, should give you an idea of what to expect from all three days.

#11 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 14:01

You'll get the Porsche Supercup and GP2 races, there's usually a couple of others too. Silverstone hasn't published the 2011 timetable yet,
but Google for the 2010 timetable, should give you an idea of what to expect from all three days.

GP3 as well i think

#12 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 14:09

GP3 as well i think

And the historics normally. The best sounding cars of the weekend, now! They did have Formula BMW, last year. But clearly won't this.

#13 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 16:30

And the historics normally. The best sounding cars of the weekend, now! They did have Formula BMW, last year. But clearly won't this.

Old school racing hasn't been on the British Grand Prix calendar for a few years now.

GP3, GP2 and Porsches - and that's about your lot these days.

#14 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 17:26

Old school racing hasn't been on the British Grand Prix calendar for a few years now.

GP3, GP2 and Porsches - and that's about your lot these days.

Erm, so what are those old classics racing around?

#15 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 17:40

Erm, so what are those old classics racing around?

I don't follow.

But anyway, the last time they were on the billing was back in 2008.

#16 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 18:41

Actually thinking about it, they might not of last year. Sorry about that! But they were definatley there in 2009.

Edit due to being on my phone!

Edited by chrisblades85, 15 May 2011 - 22:34.

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:34

Actually thinking about it, they might not of last year. Sorry about that! But they definatly there in 2009

They were certainly there in 2009, but dropped last year for GP3. I wish they would include classic F1 on the program.

Edited by Clatter, 15 May 2011 - 20:36.

#18 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 14:40

The new Silverstone 'wing', hopefully more piccies soon. Looks very F1 now.
http://www.f1fanatic...t-paddock-wing/