Photo

Phillip Island Classic - March 18, 19 & 20, 2011 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:07

I thought a thread for this year's Phillip Island would have been instigated before now. So anyway most interested enthusiasts will already know it's on this weekend. And potentially several TNF'ers will be competing, officiating or at the very least wandering around in a dream trying to take it all in. As there's always plenty to see and good access to the whole event (I'll be the later category).

More info can be found by clicking on this link.
http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm

Stephen

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:44

Looks like a massive entry - I know that TNFer Simon Arron will be there, warming up for the following weekend's GP.

#3 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:51

There'll be a static display of cars in the Pavilion before the entrance to the tunnel as well - could be a good spot for TNFers to say G'day!

#4 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:06

Good to hear Simon will be at the Island. That should at least mean there's some good photos likely to appear on here for all TNF to see.

The idea is good, but not sure how easy it is to gather ourselves together in one spot, at one time James.

Stephen

#5 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 21:05

This TNFer will be there, sadly without racing car, but being a pitpest with the brothers Reid ( Sulman Singer and Faux Pas) in garage 22

#6 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 23:15

Huge number of cars running plenty of touring cars and regularity,might give it a miss.

#7 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 23:43

Huge number of cars running plenty of touring cars and regularity,might give it a miss.

Hi all. Don't forget the half hour "Big Banger" sports car race ,should make for some interesting racing,with plenty of entrys from OS.
If any of you are coming down to PI, come and make your self known at the commentary tower (coming in quietly) and I will let you have a few minutes watching the races from the best seat in the house. Practise and qualifying is on from 9.10am Friday until 4.40pm and racing starts Saturday at 9.00am until 4.40pm.
Sunday things get under way at 9.00am through until approx 4.50pm.

Looking forward to catching up , Regards Ron Simmonds (Chief Commentator for the VHRR).

#8 donharper

donharper

• 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:11

I see Chris Hocking has a Matich entered this year. Does anyone know if he will be there ?
I could not find him last year.

#9 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:19

I see Chris Hocking has a Matich entered this year. Does anyone know if he will be there ?
I could not find him last year.

Hi Donharper. Yes Chris Hocking is entered in the F5000 Matich A52 in race 7 at 11.00am and race 19 at 3.00pm on Saturday.,both over 7 laps, for QR and F5000.

He is also in race 42 on Sunday over 12 laps again for QR and invited cars.

The sports car race on Sunday over 20 laps for QR sports and invited cars, event 39, will start at 1.40 pm.

I hope that is of some help to you, Cheers Ron Simmonds.

#10 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:03

I am flying down from Sydney for the weekend.
As a sports car lover, it should be close to heaven for me.

It's tempting to duck over to Mallala for their Easter Historic weekend as well.
I went to that a couple of years ago, and the meeting has a great relaxed atmosphere.

#11 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:50

Ron,

Thanks for the invite. Hopefully it won't get too cramped in commentary. And good luck for the weekend that your vocals hold up.

John,

If you're being a 'pitpest' (which is probably better than you trying to be a 'pitbabe'), I might seek you out to devalue my 'Bathurst - Cradle of Australian Motor Racing' if you don't mind.

Lola,

Dig out the E-Type, point it towards Phillip Island and get out and enjoy a day or two at the PI Classic.

Stephen

#12 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:02

Stephen,

I blame DC Nye for this response but let me assure you that my tits are much better these days in my declining years than any pit babe.

I have been told today that we are in either garage 20 or 22 or " somewhere near the Western Australians"--- in my view not a healthey place to be

Please call in
:-)
JM

#13 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:38

Ron,

Thanks for the invite. Hopefully it won't get too cramped in commentary. And good luck for the weekend that your vocals hold up.

John,

If you're being a 'pitpest' (which is probably better than you trying to be a 'pitbabe'), I might seek you out to devalue my 'Bathurst - Cradle of Australian Motor Racing' if you don't mind.

Lola,

Dig out the E-Type, point it towards Phillip Island and get out and enjoy a day or two at the PI Classic.

Stephen

I've got no interest with anything to do with the VHRR,pity as I'm still a young person and loved my historic racing,but i don't take kind to having my throat cut by a certain small minded person in that oufit.often I think I'd like to buy another car,what stops me dealing with twits over eligibility issues.
Anyway I'm taking my E-type on a 5 day rally at the end of the month,I don't think they would approve the VHRR of my alloy fully adjustable shockers.
regards Rob Bailey. :down:

#14 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:32

Good to hear Simon will be at the Island. That should at least mean there's some good photos likely to appear on here for all TNF to see.

Stephen

Received a text at 2.00pm this morning ( thanks Simon :) ) to inform me that he had discovered the ex-David Winstanley Sana which is now in F5000 spec

He also said that he is unable to post pictures due to internet gremlins........so expect all the pictures in one big batch

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 19 March 2011 - 09:32.

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:45

Just having a look at Natsoft for PI results. Decent field of premier open wheelers, 5000s, Indy cars , F1 etc. Some diverse names, muttering rotter Chris Lambden ina 5000 [dnf] and James Davison entered by Richard Davison with fastest lap 1.32.3 meaning that not all of the Davisons are bouncing Thupercars off of one or other or the walls!!

I am damn sure I should have went there instead of looking at 100 yards of track at the Adelaide Parklands. Which I will watch on TV tomorrow. I am not going back.

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:56

Link to results here http://www.natsoft.c...20/03/2011.PHIL.
20 races on day 1 - not a bad programme :)

#17 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:40

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:40

Link to results here http://www.natsoft.c...20/03/2011.PHIL.
20 races on day 1 - not a bad programme :)

Hope SA has stocked up on memory cards :)

PAR

#19 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:27

Received a text at 2.00pm this morning ( thanks Simon :) ) to inform me that he had discovered the ex-David Winstanley Sana which is now in F5000 spec

I believe that the Sana was coverted to "F5000 spec" for speed events in the UK - can't remember off-hand who did it though!

:wave:

Advertisement

#20 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,007 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:39

Just having a look at Natsoft for PI results. Decent field of premier open wheelers, 5000s, Indy cars , F1 etc. Some diverse names, muttering rotter Chris Lambden ina 5000 [dnf] and James Davison entered by Richard Davison with fastest lap 1.32.3 meaning that not all of the Davisons are bouncing Thupercars off of one or other or the walls!!

James (Jon's son) in the T332 his Dad drove, previously owned by Teddy Yip and raced by Alan Jones. The only way to make that car more dynastic would be for a Brabham to drive it next.

Posted Image

And let it not be said I have no time for the older stuff. How about what is thought to be the oldest surviving Grand Prix car in the World? It's a 1906 Darracq in the more than capable hands of New Zealand's Anne Thomson

Posted Image

Bruce Moxon

#21 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:33

James (Jon's son) in the T332 his Dad drove, previously owned by Teddy Yip and raced by Alan Jones. The only way to make that car more dynastic would be for a Brabham to drive it next.

Posted Image

And let it not be said I have no time for the older stuff. How about what is thought to be the oldest surviving Grand Prix car in the World? It's a 1906 Darracq in the more than capable hands of New Zealand's Anne Thomson

Posted Image

Bruce Moxon

Thanks for that pic Bruce, I had no idea which car it was. I just saw the entrant and drivers names. I dont think Richard ever drove 5000s? Mondials yes.
In some respects presented like that it would be good to see Jonesy have a pedal. I believe that Lolas are reasonably roomy.

As for that Darracq, the lady is very brave!!

#22 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:53

Right, before I get sunstroke...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:45

And before I lose internet access for a day or two...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Oh, and a note to P Rainford: what time is 2pm in the morning?

#24 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,007 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:19

All over. Sigh.

Bloody fine to meet you Simon, and thanks for the idea of the silhouette picture of the Darracq.

Froze on Friday, yesterday was just right, today I'm sunburned and dehydrated.

Highlights - the Australian backyard special that knocked off the three Maseratis. Young James Davison's drives in the T332 (second in the 12-lapper with only third and fifth gears). The fantastic cars this event attracts, year after year. The car show that is the parking area, and the car club displays opposite the pits.

Beer beckons.

BM

#25 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:01

Oh, and a note to P Rainford: what time is 2pm in the morning?

I was confused you woke me up :)

Pictures were worth the wait :up:

PAR

#26 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:30

Thanks for the great pics. Looking forward to seeing more - especially the Veskanda which figured prominently in the race watching of my younger days here at AIR.
Yes Timbo do come over to Mallala. We are still as friendly as ever and turning 30 this year.

#27 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:23

Just back from Phillip Island, and to be honest 'about worn out' sums it up nicely.

Some very special treats took place.

1 - I met the infamous John Medley and his young racer in the making, son Benny.

2 - I met and took lots of photos of the latest custodian of Bill Patterson's Cooper Bobtail.

3 - I got to indulge in seeing the Cooper T70 in the flesh for the first time. Firstly in its nakedness and later with body fitted. And briefly chatting with Adam until his flaming mobile ruined that.

4 - I witnessed 3 Maseratis 250F in a location, a long way away from where 3 would usually be found.

5 - Did a John Medley, and became a 'pitpest' and photographed (and in a couple of instance chatted with) a few of the old drivers in attendance.

6 - Witnessed (and photographed) a very special treat put together very early this morning (like as in before sunrise) on the pit straight, for very limited number of people there that early. A grid facing backwards it should be said, front row - 1 Lago-Talbot & 3 x 250F. Row 2 - Eagle Weslake, Williams FW07, 'Indy' Eagle. Row 3 - Lister Jaguar, Cooper T53, Bugatti, Darracq.

7 - As above, but just the 3 250Fs, and with all the shuffling of them I can now say that I've pushed all 3 of them. It then became a 250F Grand Prix to get them back in the pit garages when the rain appeared for a brief spell. Phillip Island wouldn't be Phillip Island if there wasn't some rain over the weekend. But it came and it went and turned out a splendid day, again.

I may expand on all this when I unwind and freshen up. In the meantime congratulations to Ian Tate and his Victorian Historic Racing Register team and Mike Holloway and his Victorian Mini Club team for bringing together yet another great Phillip Island Classic.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 20 March 2011 - 11:26.

#28 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:49

And before I lose internet access for a day or two...

Posted Image

Great shots Simon, just in case anyone's looking to place this one, it's Richard Carter in the ex John Walker Elfin Mono Mk2C going over Lukey Heights. Richard was pretty happy with the times he was putting in over the course of the weekend.

Cheers James

#29 pallas1970

pallas1970

• 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 21:17

Well spotted James, that's the same view I had of him every race as he lapped me. It was great to see you and your dad and to finally see the 300 in the flesh. To see a mono crack 1.40 has inspired me to sell everything to finish that engine! What a great weekend and now for Mallala in the Lotus Seven. James

#30 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:11

Nice to meet and greet various TNFers (and non TNFers too) at Phillip Island, and lots I hadnt met before. The weather was better than most years past, the racing I saw was great, the cars as usual impressive , the entertainment considerable. despite the fiery loss of the Isle of Wight Hotel in 2010.

Our lot was particularly pleased that Ronnie Reid's little boy David in his Cooper Holden called Faux Pas won the Driver of the Meeting award for the second time in three years.

I liked Tasmanian Peter Turnbull's summary to me when I asked him what he was doing( viz traveling the mainland for the next 6 months towing his racing car all over, racing everywhere he can) " I'm living the dream, John" Burt Munro would be been proud of him.

#31 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:49

Doesn't Peter Briggs still own the ex Patterson Cooper Bobtail?
John i hope those West Australians didn't bite you.

Edited by ken devine, 21 March 2011 - 05:51.

#32 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:08

Doesn't Peter Briggs still own the ex Patterson Cooper Bobtail?
John i hope those West Australians didn't bite you.

Ken,

The Patterson Cooper bobtail is now Sydney-based. Purchased from Briggs in 2009 (I only learnt on Saturday when I spoke to Paul - the latest owner/driver). In fact when I stumbled upon it, I wasn't sure whether it was the Patto car or one painted like it (given that I thought Peter Briggs still owned the Patto car). A quick question to the Paul soon revealed it was indeed the real deal. He's very keen and thoroughly enjoys racing it.

He had done a fair bit to make it raceworthy and still has some more to do to tidy it up presentation-wise.

He was as happy as could be, when I told him I have photos of Mike Cooper - son of John Cooper - sitting in it at the Australian Grand Prix in 2002. Mike was one of the celebrities racing there, for what coincided as the Australian release weekend of the new MINI Cooper at that year's AGP. The celebs racing JCW prepared MINIs. It was one of those spur of the moment things, Mike & Linda Cooper were heading off from the MINI compound with Michael Caton and his wife, towards the Historic Garage (marquee) area. I said to Mike he had to come and see one of his dad's old cars that was sitting just inside the marquee entrance. So after a quick mention to commentator, Don Kinsey that Mike was prepared to have a chat, he climbed into the Bobtail and did an interview from the driver's seat. Of course being a spur of the moment thing, I wasn't able to record the interview to video. But I made sure I got some photos. Ironically, Peter Briggs wasn't about when all this began, but word must have spread and he got back to his car just nearing completion of said interview. So he did get to meet Mike.

For me as a Mini & Cooper enthusiast that was an extremely memorable week. Because when we were at Sandown, the training was being done with Geoff Brabham as the head instructor. With one of his assistants being rally legend, Rauno Aaltonen. Mike, very quickly realised that he shouldn't have listened to his old man, all those years before about not going racing.

Add to this come Albert Park and Sir Jack was there in the MINI compound too. It also wasn't too bad having TV presenter, Susie Wilks & co there! Pure magic.

Stephen

#33 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:46

Stephen
I should object to "infamous" --- Benny, yes, but not his father

Ken
I agree those Western Australians have bitten me before, but not this time. I had morning tea in this am with Team Reid as they passed through my little town and they had been butchered and almost disembowelled by not just Charlie and Trevor and the WA boys but also by those South Australian Red Drinking Champions including one who shall not be named but whose initials are Kent Patrick. What they all did to my friends' eyeballs was not a pretty thing.

It was actually very pleasing to see that T Eastwood had not in fact retired as he had previously threatened. I actually had last offer on his Alvis before it went to the auctioneers' and do you know that he and I are 2 of the 3 owners of the the first 3 6 cylinder Alvises off the production line -- all Australians( and Australian Allan Griffin now living in Europe owns the other one?)?. And Charlie Mitchell's Elfin and mine are very much sister cars

I find it a very nice thing that we all of similar age yet spaced thousands upon thousands of miles apart across a huge continent continue to share great enthusiasms and the practice of a life well-lived. Long may it continue.

My previous mention of Tasmanian Peter Turnbull helps: among Phillip Island's many beauties is that We All Go There. Some like Stumpy Russell have been going for nearly 60 years, some of us for less --- incredibly for the great Brian Lear this was his first visit. I work hard to introduce lots of people to lots of people, to share experiences, and to enjoy the company of the like minded. I had a great time introducing Peter Turnbull to all sorts, as a real character. Among its many beauties , Phillip Island is a melting pot of great enthusiasts , most of whom understand and appreciate the very serious game we are playing, because this is not a practice run, this is the one go one has at living a good and enjoyable life, with the like-minded

#34 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:53

Stirling Moss drove the Cooper Bobtail at the AGP one year it may have been 2002. His name was on the car the last time i saw it.

#35 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 266 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:27

Stirling Moss drove the Cooper Bobtail at the AGP one year it may have been 2002. His name was on the car the last time i saw it.

Peter Briggs turning up late for the interview? Strange.. Show Peter a mic or camera and he's there. Been known to turn up for the opening of an envelope. ;)

#36 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:02

Fabulous cars everywhere you turned, living the dream indeed!!

Posted Image

#37 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:14

Ken,

You're right, I'd forgotten. Mainly because he's been to Albert Park so often the year's get blurred.

'Angel' John,

I'm sure young Benny is being influenced by the best...

Stephen

#38 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:56

James,

I asked George Spanos if I could take his photo and he asked "Why?" I responsed, "because you're an old racer." So I got my photo then spent quite some time chatting with him - no one could beat his record of owning his one-off Elfin GT for 50 years. Absolutely gorgeous proportions in a time when D Type, 300S, Ausca, Lola and so forth were growing hardtops for the new GT Championship of 1961. He mentioned he was Garrie's second customer order and Peter Manton's Elfin was order was #3.

Other nuggets he mentioned was that the first B Series BMC engine in his Elfin, came from his ex Peter Manton Major - somewhere amongst the 120 odd pages of the Oz photos thread is a photo of it at Port Wakefield. Also his car has been three colours since new, originally a light blue, followed by silver and now the Ford Australia 'True blue' it wears. There was also mention that the Elfin book is wrong relating to when the car debuted. But he wasn't 100% specific to me on when. Upon asking him whether anybody has wanted to buy the car. He said, "There's been plenty, with some 'outrageous' offers." But he won't sell. The Manton car went to Rod Murphy, with George having a recollection that Peter took an XK140 as a trade.

I mentioned your's and your dad's name to him. And then he mentioned the 50th anniversary that he wasn't able to attend.

Stephen

#39 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:09

Is red no. 6 a B20 Simon, and whats the other Chevron in the next pic, B38/39?

Advertisement

#40 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:13

Iand whats the other Chevron in the next pic, B38/39?

B42

#41 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:26

MalloryDan,

Going by the programme.

#6 Harry Hickling 1972 Chevron B20
#1 Peter Whelan 1977 Chevron B42

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 21 March 2011 - 12:34.

#42 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 15:27

Is no.1 the ex-Millen B42, chassis no.1 IIRC?

#43 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:30

The owner of the ex-Millen B42-78-01 in 2010 was Peter Whelan

And at the same time the ex-Millen B20-72-09 was with Harry Hickling

#44 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:46

............ - no one could beat his record of owning his one-off Elfin GT for 50 years. Absolutely gorgeous proportions in a time when D Type, 300S, Ausca, Lola and so forth were growing hardtops for the new GT Championship of 1961. He mentioned he was Garrie's second customer order and Peter Manton's Elfin was order was #3.

Also his car has been three colours since new, originally a light blue, followed by silver and now the Ford Australia 'True blue' it wears............

Stephen

We were taking photos of the car for the ex Elfin panel shaper John Webb, who will get a kick out it looking pristine all these years later!!

I wonder how it's original light blue colour compares/compared with the ex Walker (now Herb Neal) type 600 and the 1966 Hotchkiss Type 100. On rubbing back the Mono's nose, I think we'll find a slightly darker shade of blue.

James

#45 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:59

The Bert Skidmore driven Gurney Eagle F1 car looked to suffer terminal engine damage in its final race on Sunday afternoon and returned to the pits on the back of a truck.
All I heard was high engine revs, looked up to see a trail of oil on the track and cars spinning on the oil, all 100m after the start of the race. Not good.

#46 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:10

The Bert Skidmore driven Gurney Eagle F1 car looked to suffer terminal engine damage in its final race on Sunday afternoon and returned to the pits on the back of a truck.
All I heard was high engine revs, looked up to see a trail of oil on the track and cars spinning on the oil, all 100m after the start of the race. Not good.

Very pleased to tell everyone that the engine was not damaged at all. A half shaft broke and took out an oil line. Not even suspension damage.

#47 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:07

Apologies to all for absence of captions. I didn't have a permanent internet connection away from the circuit... and uploading via the mobile would have cost almost as much as my flight to Oz...

#48 Chris Frizell

Chris Frizell

• 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:27

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, as usual the many different varieties of car were outstanding. To me the highlights were the lady in the 1906 car, drifting the car at Lukey Heights, the sound of Jones's F1 car before it dropped a valve, and both of the Gurney Eagles side by side in the form-up area. The Eagle F1 car would have to be the prettiest car I have ever seen, and as usual, Skidmore's preparation of the car was impeccable. Did it make a sweet sound on full song?? You betcha..

Special mention must go to Peter Giddings having a red hot crack in the 250, sans roll bar, and the Veskanda's complete domination of anything that was thrown at it, both foreign and domestic.

Porsche again wowed us with a collection of its finest competition cars from the Museum, and generally the whole competition field for allowing us to wander around and get in the way, and answer the questions we threw at them. I just love the atmosphere, and the fact that a spectator can wander around without getting harassed by a security guard. I used to go to the GP and the Clipsal, but don't bother now, as it has become too expensive, too boring, and too unaccessible.

Give me PI any time, its great value for money, lends itself to these kinds of cars, and the people are so nice to you.

Top that off with the track and its surroundings, and I was in hog heaven for three days.

Thanks to the VHRR and the Mini Club, as usual, you all did a brilliant job.

See you next year!

#49 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:32

It's quite hard to describe to people who have never attended the Phillip Island Historics just how good everything about the people,the cars,the pits,the circuit,and the island really is.Since 2003 I have not missed one,and not only that, I have become a deeply interested convert to all the pre 1965 cars I never saw in the first place.Winton does the same on a less grand scale,but without the international flavour.To me these Phillip Island meetings are the best meetings ever held in Australia past or present because of the huge diversity of entries from all categories and eras. Big pat on the back to all concerned.

#50 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,855 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:11

Apologies to all for absence of captions. I didn't have a permanent internet connection away from the circuit... and uploading via the mobile would have cost almost as much as my flight to Oz...

Simon,

I think we'll let you off, given that you've shown everyone some great photos. Thanks for those, but a few more new ones for page 2 of this thread wouldn't be out of place, if the budget doesn't get stretched too far. Thanks also to Bruce Moxon & James Lambert for posting their photos too.

I'm interested (and probably several others are also) to read a few words from you about your experience of the event and how it compares to other events (given that you get about a bit).

Ron Simmonds,

Well done to you and the commentary team for keeping everyone up to date. It was a long call for you.

James,

Not sure how light the original blue of George's Elfin was, but he did mention he was never happy with it and hence why it is now True Blue. A colour he likes.

Stephen