Photo

Peter Warr / Barnet Motor Co

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:44

As part of some research I'm doing, I have a question. I've had a look in previous relevent threads, and drawn a blank.

Was the Barnet Motor Co set up by a Peter Warr, and if so, is he the same PW who went on to such success managing Lotus (and others) in F1?

I understood Barnet was Peter Lilley's company, with Gerry Marshall as a Salesman.

I'm led to believe there was a Peter Warr with Barnet in the Mid '60s who may also have been 'involved in F3'. Is it just coincidence that the name is the same, or was this the same man?

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:56

This is only an assumption on my part, but Gary C and I interviewed Peter at his house near Bergerac (I live not that far down the road). I'm pretty certain he told us that (and I paraphrase here) "as soon as I was ready to go out and work, I went to Lotus to see if there was anything going. having been caught standing around, I was instantly asked to help push cars around, and I stayed there ".

If that is the case, I can't see when he had time to set anything else of his own up?

#3 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 20:08

Yes, My memory was of reading that he started in a junior position at Hornsey in the late '50s, so I think it must be a different guy. or a mistake.

#4 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 21:47

No idea who set up the company but whenever I passed thro' Barnet, John Britten was firmly in charge.

What do you mean by "research"? :rolleyes:

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 21:52

No idea who set up the company but whenever I passed thro' Barnet, John Britten was firmly in charge.

I thought that Barnet Motor Company and John Britten Garages at Arkley were two entirely separate entities

#6 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 21:55

[quote name='elansprint72' date='Mar 18 2011, 21:47' post='4900170']

What do you mean by "research"? :rolleyes:
[/quote

research into a Lotus seven. Do you have something wrong with your eyes? they've gone all 'rolly'.

#7 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 22:15

I thought that Barnet Motor Company and John Britten Garages at Arkley were two entirely separate entities

Quite possibly so; "whenever I passed thro' Barnet , John Britten was firmly in charge"... I suppose that I should have continued... in my first paid P-J job, on a Friday afternoon, in the lounge bar of the Lord Nelson, with all the local motoring-types assembled.

And if my eyes are rolling, I apologise; I've had a particularly bad week with photo-robbers on this here inter-web thingy.

Which particular Lotus Seven?