Hans Stuck's 1939 water speed record attempt

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 18:45

Hello,

I have seen pictures of the Tempo WSR boat powerd by a Auto Union 16 Cylinder engine, but never found any information about this atempt.

I like to find out what the result was and why it was only one atempt (ore where there more atempts?)
Were was this atempt taken (most likely in Germany but where?)
Also I would like to have more pictures and information about this boat.

Does anybody have more information abouth this record atempt?

Best Regards,
Martijn

Advertisement

#2 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 19:50

Here's a signed postcard dated July 1940 from my collection.

Tony

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#3 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:39

Hello Tony,

Thank you verry much. This picture is far better than the one I had.

These are the only pictures I have form this boat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:06

Hello,

I have seen pictures of the Tempo WSR boat powerd by a Auto Union 16 Cylinder engine, but never found any information about this atempt.

I like to find out what the result was and why it was only one atempt (ore where there more atempts?)
Were was this atempt taken (most likely in Germany but where?)
Also I would like to have more pictures and information about this boat.

Does anybody have more information abouth this record atempt?

Best Regards,
Martijn

There is a close-up photo (from Yacht Fotoarchiv) of Hans in the boat in Kevin Desmond's book "Power Boat Speed" (1988). Desmond states that the boat was built in the Kopenick Yard of Claud Engelbrecht to the designs of Fritz Fugmann. He states that the boat ran in June 1939 on the "Scharmtzelsee near Berlin".

There was a series of articles on Hans Stuck in one of the DDR motorsport magazines of the early 1950s which included a detailed report on "Tempo". Someone may be able to give you more info.

Tony

#5 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:17

Stuck established the record on June 30th at the Scharmützelsee near Berlin. It was a 1Hour record for speedboats upto 800Kg with an average of 82,5km/h.

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:51

There is a close-up photo (from Yacht Fotoarchiv) of Hans in the boat in Kevin Desmond's book "Power Boat Speed" (1988). Desmond states that the boat was built in the Kopenick Yard of Claud Engelbrecht to the designs of Fritz Fugmann. He states that the boat ran in June 1939 on the "Scharmtzelsee near Berlin".

There was a series of articles on Hans Stuck in one of the DDR motorsport magazines of the early 1950s which included a detailed report on "Tempo". Someone may be able to give you more info.

Tony

I can assure you, if that's what Kevin says, then then that is 100%. I've known Kevin for years, and he's a stickler for accuracy.

Tempo bares a striking resemblance to a "shrunken" Blue Bird K3, which isn't surprising as K3 had set records on Maggiore (Italy) and Halwyl (German/Swiss border), so maybe it was a considered a good layout for record boats, but it wasn't really. The single step hydroplanes were limited by two factors. 1] The surface area in contact witht the water, and 2] the single step would rise and fall (porpoising) and would become quite unstable when as high on the step as possible. While Tempo was running Malcolm Campbell was going onto Blue Bird K4, a Vetnour three point hydro', far more stable and far less drag.

In short, I suspect that Tempo, being a single step would have been little match for even K3 with 37 litres, unless it was a class record boat? Which as it's registration shows "G" instead of the sign for infinity, is very likely.

Edited by f1steveuk, 19 March 2011 - 19:03.

#7 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 17:49

I can assure you, if that's what Kevin says, then then that is 100%. I've known Kevin for years, and he's a stickler for accuracy.

Tempo bares a striking resemblance to a "shrunken" Blue Bird K3, which isn't surprising as K3 had set records on Maggiore (Italy) and Halwyl (German/Swiss border), so maybe it was a considered a good layout for record boats, but it wasn't really....

When I first saw photographs of "Tempo" I thought it was the offspring of K3 and Scott-Paine's "Miss Britain III" (which used to be in the Greenwich Maritime Museum. Is it still there?)

What is not clear is whether this was simply a stand alone class record boat or the intended first of a series of boats that would have aimed finally at the ultimate record.

Tony

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 19:02

When I first saw photographs of "Tempo" I thought it was the offspring of K3 and Scott-Paine's "Miss Britain III" (which used to be in the Greenwich Maritime Museum. Is it still there?)

What is not clear is whether this was simply a stand alone class record boat or the intended first of a series of boats that would have aimed finally at the ultimate record.

Tony

Very true, under the propoganda machine in Germany at the time, the "Silver Arrows" had produced a string of class record cars, culminating in the Mercedes T80, for the outright record, it just never ran. That may well have been the plan with the boats too, it was certainly happeneing with the aircraft.

#9 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:51

hi

was there any relations between the AU race car engine and the "TEMPO" engine ?

#10 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:48

Thak you all verry much for your replay.

I really did not suspect I got this many reactions in such a short periode.

It would be really great If I could find a copy of this DDR Motorsport Magazine with the report of the Tempo boat.
Can someone send me a scan of this report.

I hope I can find more pictures or drawings. maybe I can make a scale model of it. It will look great between my Auto Union miniatures ;)

#11 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:59

Found this information. It is from Das Motorrad Nr 28 from 1939.

Posted Image

#12 Cardenas

Cardenas

• 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:32

When I posted about this to get some info I got nothing, looks now we have more details here.

#13 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:39

Hell Cardenas,
You are right. We have some nice information here but there are still al lot of details missing.
I hope we can find more information.

That article in the DDR magazin would be nice and also some more pictures are verry welcome.
I like to know what to underside looks like and also would like a better picture of the rear end. The quality of my picture isn't that good.

#14 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:08

Does nobody have more information or photo's?
That is a shame. I really like to know more abouth this boat and rekordatempt.

Edited by Blauwewolk, 24 March 2011 - 08:09.

#15 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:47

I'm going home April 21st, and Kevin Desmond lives not far from me, I shall pop in and pick his brain!

#16 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:34

Thank you.

#17 Blauwewolk

Blauwewolk

• 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:44

I'm going home April 21st, and Kevin Desmond lives not far from me, I shall pop in and pick his brain!

Hello,

Just moving this one up so you did not forget it.
Did you have time yet to talk to Kevin Desmond?
I really hope to find more information.

#18 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:04

Yep, I'm home, and organising to pop over to Kevin's soon

#19 JayJay26

JayJay26

• 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:25

Hey Guys,
does anybody have any information about drawings of the "tempo"?
Can anybody help me?
Are there any books in which I could find anything?

Advertisement

#20 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 14:13

I've spoken to Kevin Desmond, and he has very little information, other than that he has already published. Drawings? If anybody has anything, I'd guess at Fred Harris (who once traded under the name of Replicast, and did some superb models of record breakers, land and water) but these drawings would have been done by Brian McLean, from measurements and research, rather than from factory design drawings.

I don't know who designed Tempo, or if it was "in house", which could make a difference to locating the original drawings. It certainly doesn't look a big vessel!