Photo

Jim Eichorn / Devin Volkswagen?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jiga

jiga

• 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 00:47

Perhaps a long shot, but perhaps someone can help with inforamtion or direction.

I'm looking for any photographs (or any information) of a Devin Volkswagen that was raced by Jim Eichorn (also seen listed as “Eichhorn”) in the late 1950’s - early 1960’s in the Colorado area.

Here’s what I can find for places and dates of where the car was raced:
La Junta, 5/26/57
La Junta, 6/1/58 - Raced as #77
Continental Divide, 7/17/60
Continental Divide, 7/2/61 - Raced as #144
Continental Divide, 8/18/63

Greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks kindly,
Jim

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:00

Perhaps a long shot, but perhaps someone can help with inforamtion or direction.

I'm looking for any photographs (or any information) of a Devin Volkswagen that was raced by Jim Eichorn (also seen listed as “Eichhorn”) in the late 1950’s - early 1960’s in the Colorado area.

Here’s what I can find for places and dates of where the car was raced:
La Junta, 5/26/57
La Junta, 6/1/58 - Raced as #77
Continental Divide, 7/17/60
Continental Divide, 7/2/61 - Raced as #144
Continental Divide, 8/18/63

Greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks kindly,
Jim

Jim:

I live in the area but this is well before my time here.... but do have some friends who may be mature enough to personally know this info, I'll ask around a little.

One thought is Bob Hagestad, a former client while here who lives in Dallas now and owned a Porsche dealership in Denver. I don't think he's still in that biz, nor working anymore. Before that, his (late) Dad Vern ran a VW dealership in Denver, possibly that long ago, so may be a worthy contact.

WolfsWagon in Denver also goes well back, a VW repair shop that I believe is still around, kind of an "everything VW" place.

Have you contacted SCCA? Or another Forum in the States? Keep digging, I'll bet you'll find someone who knows someone, etc.

Good Luck!

#3 RShaw

RShaw

• 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 18:22

This may be what you are looking for, although it is from CDR 1964. It looks vaguely like a Devin VW to me.

Ron Shaw

Posted Image

#4 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:30

Jim ran Eichorn's, an early independent VW and Porsche garage on Fox Street in Denver. Graduates of that small business include my mechanic-friends Bill Randle (now gone), Grady Clay, Pat Moyle, and Al Lager. All went on to own their own Porsche shops here. I'll ask them if they have photos, but I'm sure they all have stories to tell. When I moved to Denver in 1970, Eichorn's was still the place to have your Porsche worked on, but after Jim died, it closed sometime in the 1970s. I visited the place once or twice but have no photos. Somehow I recall that Eichorn had also raced a VW sedan, but that may be just an inaccurate memory...

Frank

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 00:47

Jim:

I just PMed you with some potential leads.

Happy Hunting!

#6 jiga

jiga

• 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 16:05

Jim:

I just PMed you with some potential leads.

Happy Hunting!

Thanks! Really appreciate the leads and in the process of following up.

Regards,
Jim

#7 jiga

jiga

• 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 16:06

Jim ran Eichorn's, an early independent VW and Porsche garage on Fox Street in Denver. Graduates of that small business include my mechanic-friends Bill Randle (now gone), Grady Clay, Pat Moyle, and Al Lager. All went on to own their own Porsche shops here. I'll ask them if they have photos, but I'm sure they all have stories to tell. When I moved to Denver in 1970, Eichorn's was still the place to have your Porsche worked on, but after Jim died, it closed sometime in the 1970s. I visited the place once or twice but have no photos. Somehow I recall that Eichorn had also raced a VW sedan, but that may be just an inaccurate memory...

Frank

Thanks for the information and help Frank. Really appreciate it.

Jim

#8 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 16:17

Jim:

Pat Moyle wrote this about Jim Eichorn:

"The VW special he raced was actually an old beetle...mid 50's vintage. It was prepared for an SCCA class for small sedans called "GT". Other than the normal safety modifications of the day, I don't remember all the things that had been done to it other than it was bright yellow and had an 1800cc Okrasa engine. Jim raced the car in SCCA races in the Midwest Division, which at that time spread from Utah to Missouri. He was killed in a highway accident while towing the VW either to or from a race. I believe it was 1964."

Frank

#9 pdgodwin99

pdgodwin99

• 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 15:37

Perhaps I can add a little bit to this discussion from my age flawed memory of the time.
I raced in the Midwest and Southwest divisions in the 50's and 60's and remember Jim Eichorn and his "Q-ship" VW and Devin. However, I seem to recall the Devin as being powered by a Corvair rather than VW. The first time I saw the car at CDR he kindly offered me a test run but I unfortunately had to decline as I was busy trying to sort out a brake problem on my Alfa Veloce (it wouldn't release fluid from the line back into the reservoir which meant it automatically put on the brakes as the fluid temperature climbed). I do recall that I was more impressed with the VW sedan as it was remarkably quick. I understand that Jim used to routinely embarass local Porsche drivers on the streets of Denver.
At CDR (may have been 1963) Bill Randle told me he had left Schlumberger and was trying to negotiate a partnership deal with Jim.
About Jim's death there seems to be some confusion in my mind about just what happened. I think it was at the Ponca City race I heard Jim had died in a wreck on the way to the race. Although I thought he was flat towing the Devin with the VW that doesn't agree with my recollection of later seeing the VW in Roswell in 1964. I understood the Devin was found completely intact in a field after the crash. Anyhow, as I recall, Bill and Patsy had the VW and their Bobsy at the Roswell race and I think that was where he told me he had taken over the shop.

#10 RShaw

RShaw

• 139 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 16:54

I have been hesitant to post this photo, mostly because of Frank's post quoting Pat Moyle as saying Eichorn's VW sedan was "bright yellow". My recollection is that this is the Eichorn rocket ship VW, and it is clearly not bright yellow. The photo was taken the same weekend at CDR in '64, probably the same race, as the blue maybe-Devin VW in my previous post. Eichorn was not likely to be driving both cars at once, but anyway here is another possible Eichorn siting ...

Ron Shaw

Posted Image

Edited by RShaw, 28 March 2011 - 16:58.