Photo

The top ten riders you raced against or spannered for

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 joeninety

joeninety

• 435 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 19:18

Got that modern stuff off my chest (for now) normal business has been resumed  ;)

Edited by joeninety, 22 March 2011 - 19:25.

Advertisement

#2 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 19:51

Niall Mackenzie,
Streve Hislop,
Chris Walker,
Shane Byrne,
Leon Haslam,
James Toseland,
Casey Stoner,
Troy Bayliss,
Michael Rutter,
Karl Harris,

If they finished the race then they beat me. :-( But then again they needed me and other back markers to make them look fast. Well thats what i keep saying to myself. :drunk:

Kevin

#3 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 20:17

I'll amend the topic, stuffed it up the inside etc.

Oh thats easy then, Michael Rutter and Karl Harris. Mallory park 2000
Niall Mackenzie Brands Hatch 1996 and 97.

#4 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:27

Have you been at the metal polish again?
:rotfl:

#5 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:58

Does this include practice at a race meeting (I'm not including general practice days in this) or do you mean just in the same race?

#6 Xover

Xover

• 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:09

er, let's see.....SMBH
Bill Ivy
Phil Read
Barry Sheene
Angel Nieto
Hugh Anderson
Mike Duff
Luigi Taveri
Dave Simmonds
Tommy Robb

That's ten isn't it?

Needless to say I didn't finish in front of any of them.

#7 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:17

Only spannered for three, Mick Grant, Rudi Kurth and Tony Head, I will place them in order  ;)

Mick Grant :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :clap:
Rudi Kurth :up: :up: :up: :up: :clap:

Tony Head :evil: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

#8 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:25

Only spannered for three, Mick Grant, Rudi Kurth and Tony Head, I will place them in order ;)

Mick Grant :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :clap:
Rudi Kurth :up: :up: :up: :up: :clap:

Tony Head :evil: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

:eek: , no comment

#9 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 19:20

er, let's see.....SMBH
Bill Ivy
Phil Read
Barry Sheene
Angel Nieto
Hugh Anderson
Mike Duff
Luigi Taveri
Dave Simmonds
Tommy Robb

That's ten isn't it?

Needless to say I didn't finish in front of any of them.

Ditto Only finished in front of Barry in his early racing career at Snetterton and some of the others when they broke down or fell off or were on slower machines.

#10 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:50

After the previous posts I feel rather humble.

I've been in the same race as some very good riders although I never saw them once the flag dropped, Ray Stringer and Steve Chambers spring to mind and I'm pretty certain I raced against Andy Watts when he was just starting.

During mixed practice sessions at a race meeting I have blown past the following :p :

Ron Haslam ( the 80cc converted road bike he was riding couldn't match the awesome power of my Rotax powered single)

Hans Otto Butenuth

Doug Polen (I stuffed it up the inside twice in the same session)

The one that I'm most proud of happened in a race:

Dave Roper, I outdragged him off the start and held him off for 3 or 4 corners before the inevitable happened.

Edited by Robin127, 25 March 2011 - 01:51.

#11 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:28

Got that modern stuff off my chest (for now) normal business has been resumed ;)

Raced with (against must mean you were able to be close to them with a chance of improving your position) as follows : Sheene,Tuxworth,Huen,Parrish,Scivier, J. Dunlop, McClements, McCullough,D. Robinson, McGinn, both Junk brothers, Kinsella,Guthrie, Shimmin plus many others whose names I cant recall. Must mention the larger than life Davy Woods who looked after Joey for so long. Davy gave my wife and I, Steve Linsdell, Willy Hodge and Johnathan Parkes the ride of our lives around the Temple 100 circuit the day before the meeting in his company Cortina MK3. He tore the exhaust off in the process and frightened us shitless. On the dirt I have had the privelege of riding with so many top guys-but the premier memorys must be competing in the " Oldie Euro Longtrack Series". This gave a chance to ride on the premier 1000 metre sand tracks to a lot of racers who would otherwise never had the chance. Getting a longtrack bike sideways at 100mph gives you the same sort of buzz as taking the dive down Bray Hill! Great memories, thanks to all of you.

#12 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 22:37

Kevin Schwantz
Chris Carr
Stefan Everts
Jeremy Mcgrath
Jeff Ward
Scott Russell
David Jeffries
Mike Metzger
John McGuinness
Kurt Nicoll

Supermoto has been good to me, highlight was running bar to bar with Scott Russell for 5 laps, till we tangled and went down with another rider.. happy days.

#13 Xover

Xover

• 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:03

Raced with (against must mean you were able to be close to them with a chance of improving your position) as follows : Sheene,Tuxworth,Huen,Parrish,Scivier, J. Dunlop, McClements, McCullough,D. Robinson, McGinn, both Junk brothers, Kinsella,Guthrie, Shimmin plus many others whose names I cant recall. Must mention the larger than life Davy Woods who looked after Joey for so long. Davy gave my wife and I, Steve Linsdell, Willy Hodge and Johnathan Parkes the ride of our lives around the Temple 100 circuit the day before the meeting in his company Cortina MK3. He tore the exhaust off in the process and frightened us shitless. On the dirt I have had the privelege of riding with so many top guys-but the premier memorys must be competing in the " Oldie Euro Longtrack Series". This gave a chance to ride on the premier 1000 metre sand tracks to a lot of racers who would otherwise never had the chance. Getting a longtrack bike sideways at 100mph gives you the same sort of buzz as taking the dive down Bray Hill! Great memories, thanks to all of you.

Hi Rotrax,
Your mention of the temple 100 reminded me of my only ride on that circuit. The course used part of the old Clady circuit if I'm not mistaken, with a long humpy straight. We were promised transport from the docks to the circuit..this involved being loaded onto the back of a big tipper lorry and having to hold on to bike and tools. At the weigh in we were handicapped out of contention and then told there would be no practice as the roads were still open. It rained all day and I still have vivid memories of trying to race through inch deep cow slurry down narrow lanes with no idea where I was going or how long it would last. I believe the Temple 100 was eventually banned on safety grounds. Life's rich tapestry eh? :)

#14 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 22:04

Hi Rotrax,
Your mention of the temple 100 reminded me of my only ride on that circuit. The course used part of the old Clady circuit if I'm not mistaken, with a long humpy straight. We were promised transport from the docks to the circuit..this involved being loaded onto the back of a big tipper lorry and having to hold on to bike and tools. At the weigh in we were handicapped out of contention and then told there would be no practice as the roads were still open. It rained all day and I still have vivid memories of trying to race through inch deep cow slurry down narrow lanes with no idea where I was going or how long it would last. I believe the Temple 100 was eventually banned on safety grounds. Life's rich tapestry eh? :)

Hi Xover,I know what you mean! When Davy Woods took us round the circuit the day before the meeting he warned us of a particular section. He said "If its wet be carefull along here. The farmer moves his cattle from the fields to the milking parlour down this road every day. We call it cow **** alley. The spray tastes like health food!" He showed us a stone gatepost where Joey D. was supposed to have left paint from his helmet on the masonry.Crazy or what.

#15 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:35

Hi Rotrax,

Glad you have fond memories of the Temple Xover.

To correct you on one small point though, it did not take in any of the old Clady circuit. Temple was a good 25 miles away from the Clady circuit. It was however every bit as narrow, bumby and hairy as everyone recalls.

And yes, the Temple hasn't been run now for many years. We've also lost the Carrowdore road races from the calendar and others (Tandragee, Cookstown, Mid Antrim) are continuously under threat.

#16 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 16:28

Hi Rotrax,

Hi again Xover, When I rode in the Irish Road Races I do'nt remember any handicaping. It was common practice however to have two or even three groups starting at 30 second intervals. This was to ensure that the first corners were not to dramatic! The real quick lads of known ability and speed were sent off first followed by the next level of speed/ability. I was always flattered to be in group B-sometimes I did'nt get lapped! When the formula one bikes came out they made a group C after the group B 500's. I soon realised that the best way to make a 350 Yam into a 500 was to stick yellow plates on it-around a circuit like the Temple or Skerries they were far handier. I rode a big four stroke Kawasaki in the Temple. No steering damper. When I took my gloves off my hands were bleeding at the base of my thumbs where the tankslappers had rubbed the skin off. What memories of a lost era-we shall not see it again.

#17 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 19:26

Hi Xover,I know what you mean! When Davy Woods took us round the circuit the day before the meeting he warned us of a particular section. He said "If its wet be carefull along here. The farmer moves his cattle from the fields to the milking parlour down this road every day. We call it cow **** alley. The spray tastes like health food!" He showed us a stone gatepost where Joey D. was supposed to have left paint from his helmet on the masonry.Crazy or what.

There was a corner at the Faugheen circuit called 'cow-**** corner' where I was spectacularly unsuccessful (not just the corner,the whole circuit) and a downhill section called the 'Stairs

HW

#18 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 23:09

There was a corner at the Faugheen circuit called 'cow-**** corner' where I was spectacularly unsuccessful (not just the corner,the whole circuit) and a downhill section called the 'Stairs

HW

Back in the 80s, Andy, you'll remember that that downhill run was lined with very high hedges - the whole run down was blind.

Once you knew the line through the seven curves (right, right, left, right, left, left, right) which went from verge to verge all the way down, it was bloody quick - even I could get down there well on in 6th on the 350TZ.

My last run there on the Yam was 1986, when I was lucky enough to register my one and only road race win in the 350.

The race was resurrected in (I think) 2004, and I put an entry in for old times sake on the ex-Hans BMW.

On hearing that I was the only entrant who had ridden there before, I thought "Aha!! I know my way down that hill and no-one else will".

Got there, went round in the van.

Disaster - all the hedges were cut right down, and you could see, from the top, the line all the way down.

Didn't break any delph that day . . . . . . . . . . still a quick run down, but the same for everybody!!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

#19 johnnyoza

johnnyoza

• 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:15

Speedway
Kelly Moran
Kelvin Tatum
Denzil Kent
Mark Loram
Chris Louis
Chris Manchester
Peter Prinsloo
Deon Prinsloo
Gary Havelock

Motocross
Rocket Rex Staten
Larry Wosick
Jim Tarintino
Russell Campbell
Brett Redman
Derek Graham

Mechanic for:
Jim Redman
Phil Read
Alan Cathcart
Jimmy Guthrie
Peter Labuschange
Alan North
Eroll Cowan
Paddy Driver

http://img204.images...us/i/incomp.jpg

Edited by johnnyoza, 02 April 2011 - 13:04.

Advertisement

#20 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 18:46

[quote name='larryd' date='Apr 2 2011, 00:09' post='4935107']
[b]Back in the 80s, Andy, you'll remember that that downhill run was lined with very high hedges - the whole run down was blind.

Once you knew the line through the seven curves (right, right, left, right, left, left, right) which went from verge to verge all the way down, it was bloody quick - even I could get down there well on in 6th on the 350TZ.

Good going Larry.Sadly I was handicapped by being useless,and riding a ruptured pig.On closer inspection I found that both the front wheel spindle caps (BSA alloy sliders) had broken.Had to decamp to Red John Lennons at Baltinglass,for much beer drinking,swearing,and a bit of light fabrication.They gave me pot for finishing 3rd,but I'm bloody sure I wasn't!!

HW

#21 Xover

Xover

• 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:41

HW

Would the 'Faugheen' circuit be pronounced as I suspect it might? With a corner called 'Cowshit corner" I imagine it was the subject of many a bar room discussion.

#22 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:31

Would the 'Faugheen' circuit be pronounced as I suspect it might? With a corner called 'Cowshit corner" I imagine it was the subject of many a bar room discussion.

'As near as makes no matter',as they say over there.Can't remember going near a bar ;-)))

HW

#23 terryshep

terryshep

• 135 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:01

'As near as makes no matter',as they say over there.Can't remember going near a bar ;-)))

HW

You don't need to go to a bar in Ireland, HW. All kinds of strange places have alcoholic beverages in Ireland, particularly if you are a racer. I've had surreal experiences in Belfast at the hands of Jackie Chambers.

#24 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:22

You don't need to go to a bar in Ireland, HW. All kinds of strange places have alcoholic beverages in Ireland, particularly if you are a racer. I've had surreal experiences in Belfast at the hands of Jackie Chambers.

I know what you mean Terry.I have been known to 'over celebrate' on occasion over there (winning or not,it didn't matter).Had to fake a 'sickie' one monday morning to work (I was still in Dublin somewhere)

HW

#25 terryshep

terryshep

• 135 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:28

I know what you mean Terry.I have been known to 'over celebrate' on occasion over there (winning or not,it didn't matter).Had to fake a 'sickie' one monday morning to work (I was still in Dublin somewhere)

HW

Yes, I have a hazy (quickly forgotten) recollection of waking up one morning in the Salvation Army dormitory in Belfast, fully dressed in racing leathers and boots. No-one paid me the slightest attention. I presume it was the norm.

#26 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 18:23

Yes, I have a hazy (quickly forgotten) recollection of waking up one morning in the Salvation Army dormitory in Belfast, fully dressed in racing leathers and boots. No-one paid me the slightest attention. I presume it was the norm.

Did you make the headlines in the next 'War Cry' Terry?

HW

#27 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 19:06

:lol: :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :lol: :up:

#28 Chiltern boy

Chiltern boy

• 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:06

Ago[size="3"][/size
Mike Hailwood
Phil Read
Barry
Jarno
John Hartle
Peter Williams
Minter
John Copper
Tommy Herron

Or am I dreaming it seems imposible today.

#29 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:07

Ago[size="3"][/size
Mike Hailwood
Phil Read
Barry
Jarno
John Hartle
Peter Williams
Minter
John Copper
Tommy Herron

Or am I dreaming it seems imposible today.

Chiltern, If we asked for a list of bikes would yours include a 350 Bridgestone and a Linto?

#30 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:31

What are you implying Russell ? That our latest victim once sponsored Stu Avant ? :eek:

#31 Chiltern boy

Chiltern boy

• 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:43

Chiltern, If we asked for a list of bikes would yours include a 350 Bridgestone and a Linto?

Yes sir, I would include those interesting bikes

#32 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:49

Yes sir, I would include those interesting bikes

Welcome, Steve. There's a good photograph of you on the Bridgestone on here somewhere. I wonder if you can whack any up yourself?

#33 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:56

This one ?

Posted Image

#34 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 13:40

This one ?

Posted Image

The very one, Renn. On finding a certain site, I see that it could be Steve's pic. :blush:

#35 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 19:25

Welcome Steve . Seems you were there on the first ever international meeting I spectated at , Sir.... quite a few names to pick as the "top ten" from the 78 others on that list ?

Posted Image

#36 Chiltern boy

Chiltern boy

• 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:10

Welcome Steve . Seems you were there on the first ever international meeting I spectated at , Sir.... quite a few names to pick as the "top ten" from the 78 others on that list ?

Posted Image

I failed to qualify by a tenth of a second. That was lagest GP entry ever apart from the TT I beleive.

#37 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:31

I failed to qualify by a tenth of a second. That was lagest GP entry ever apart from the TT I beleive.

It was pouring down all week-end , and the very courageous few who still decided to ride their mighty TZ 700's were not at an advantage ( from memory, Olivier Chevallier, Cliff Carr and I think yourself ) all the others retreated to their 350 TZ's, and a certain Christian Estrosi, more notorious lately for being a minister in Nicolas Sarkosy's government, even took out the street 750 H2 he had been using in the previous season in production racing, finding it more usable in the conditions than his 700 TZ

The race was won by Christian Léon, riding the factory 680cc König, the powerboat engine finding in the very wet conditions an unusual bout of reliability...

Edited by philippe7, 10 April 2011 - 10:33.

#38 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:20

It was pouring down all week-end , and the very courageous few who still decided to ride their mighty TZ 700's were not at an advantage ( from memory, Olivier Chevallier, Cliff Carr and I think yourself ) all the others retreated to their 350 TZ's, and a certain Christian Estrosi, more notorious lately for being a minister in Nicolas Sarkosy's government, even took out the street 750 H2 he had been using in the previous season in production racing, finding it more usable in the conditions than his 700 TZ

The race was won by Christian Léon, riding the factory 680cc König, the powerboat engine finding in the very wet conditions an unusual bout of reliability...

I always wondered about the circumstances of Christians win.The Konig would have reveled in those conditions,and he was avery able rider too.Thanks Philippe

HW

#39 TrevorHeath

TrevorHeath

• 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:46

On the same track with:

John Kosinski
Kevin Schwantz
Wayne Rainey
Eddie Lawson
Was Cooley
Mike Baldwin
Steve Wise
Roberto Pietri
John Ashmead
John Long

Wrenched for

Santiago Londono
John Long

Bench raced with

Dave Aldana
Gary Nixon

Edited by TrevorHeath, 04 May 2011 - 01:49.

Advertisement

#40 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:31

I stood next to Eddie Lawson once in the toilets at Oulton and finished before him does that count..... :rotfl: