Photo

Mike Hailwood MBE GM

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:58

Today is the 30th Anniversary of the passing of Mike Hailwood MBE. My greatest hero and regarded by many as being the greatest road racer ever. He could win on any type of bike. Two stroke or four, single, twin, three, four and six cylinder machines. He often won all solo classes at a race meeting on the same day and on two occasions one three solo Grand Prix’s in one day. 9 times world champion and 14 times TT winner. 76 Grand Prix wins and was also awarded the George Medal for bravery when pulling Clay Reggazoni from a blazing F1 car in 1973.

He lost his life in a tragic road crash, when along with his young daughter and son they drove a few miles from their home for a fish and chip supper.

In the rain and murky evening light a heavy goods vehicle performed an illegal u turn in front of them. Mikes daughter Michelle was killed instantly. Mike succumbed to his injuries two days later on the 23rd of March 1981

Dave, his young son survived.

I was lucky in seeing Mike race from his Ecurie Sportive days in the early 60’s, the MV years (including the ’65 TT win after crashing then remounting and winning) then the Honda years which were fantastic to hear the sound of Mike flat out on the Sixes at various tracks, through to his fantastic return to the Isle of Man in 1978 and to win after an 11 year break. So many times I was close enough for an autograph but all I did was stand and stare in awe of the man and his accomplishments.

He was simply the best.

RIP Mike & Michelle

Advertisement

#2 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 13:08

Very well said , Jim , I to was lucky enough to witness his exploits

RIP , Mike and Michelle :cry:

#3 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 20:42

Yes R.I.P. Mike & Michelle a very tragic road accident which on the night I was informed about it I was gutted as I knew Mike well .
Tell you a little tale about his friends and persuasive ability.Several riders including Mike were having a few sherbets one night in the Highlander Inn on the IOM at the TT in the early 60's Up draws a vehicle and into the pup comes Chris Barber and some of his jazz band.Now Mike was keen on jazz so after a bit of persuation he convinced Chris Barber to get his instruments out and give us an impronto performance outside the pub.Can you imagine that happening in todays world.

#4 TZ350H

TZ350H

• 99 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 20:46

Mike Hailwood, Honda, Ulster Grand Prix 1966 and 1967. Makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck even thinking about the the sight and superb sound of Mike on those amazing works Hondas. The greatest ever motorcycle racing combination I have ever witnessed.

#5 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:02

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I found this sorting through some old pictures a few days ago.

Taken at Mallory in the early sixties.

Mike was the best, no doubt about it, and to me he always will be the greatest rider I ever saw.

And I first watched road racing in 1955!!

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:35

That's a great post, jaybee49. Terrific.

Incredibly, the anniversary seems to have gone unnoticed on TNF "central" - most unusual given the love and affection there is there for the Great Man.

You should post your note there, if you haven't done already.

God bless you.

Today is the 30th Anniversary of the passing of Mike Hailwood MBE. My greatest hero and regarded by many as being the greatest road racer ever. He could win on any type of bike. Two stroke or four, single, twin, three, four and six cylinder machines. He often won all solo classes at a race meeting on the same day and on two occasions one three solo Grand Prix’s in one day. 9 times world champion and 14 times TT winner. 76 Grand Prix wins and was also awarded the George Medal for bravery when pulling Clay Reggazoni from a blazing F1 car in 1973.

He lost his life in a tragic road crash, when along with his young daughter and son they drove a few miles from their home for a fish and chip supper.

In the rain and murky evening light a heavy goods vehicle performed an illegal u turn in front of them. Mikes daughter Michelle was killed instantly. Mike succumbed to his injuries two days later on the 23rd of March 1981

Dave, his young son survived.

I was lucky in seeing Mike race from his Ecurie Sportive days in the early 60’s, the MV years (including the ’65 TT win after crashing then remounting and winning) then the Honda years which were fantastic to hear the sound of Mike flat out on the Sixes at various tracks, through to his fantastic return to the Isle of Man in 1978 and to win after an 11 year break. So many times I was close enough for an autograph but all I did was stand and stare in awe of the man and his accomplishments.

He was simply the best.

RIP Mike & Michelle

#7 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:19

Its one of those moments when everyone remembers exactly where they were, I was trundling down the A17 to race at Snetterton it was about 6am and the accident was announced on the news.

#8 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:34

I had just passed Brands Hatch on the Sunday morning on my way to a trial, when the news came on the radio.

I remember Mike at Brands going the wrong way in the Hutchinson 100 event. He was riding the 500 Honda and he went up Paddock Hill in a series of bounces as if the corner was shaped like a 50 pence piece. It frightened the life out of me, all my dreams of racing went out the window when I realised I'd never have the bottle to ride half that fast.

I find it hard to believe that the current crop of bike racers seldom do more than 20 races a year - all on the same bike, when the likes of Mike would do that number over the Easter weekend on at least 3 different machines.

#9 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:39

I only saw Mike the Bike on track three times...and I'm ashamed to say he was on four wheels ..... anyway, as a small personal tribute and in world exclusivity for this forum :cool: , three personal pictures, two of which never seen before since I just scanned my original prints.....crappy quality I know, but they are "period" self developed and printed 35+ years ago.... Would you two-wheels guys be able to say what (car), where and when ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:00

The first one is the 1973 Race of Champions in a Surtees-Cosworth TS14, non-championship F1 race at Brands - I remember watching it on TV and he was leading when his suspension broke and he crashed at Hawthorns.

Second one is sometime in 1972 in a Mirage-Cosworth GR7 in the World Sports Prototype Championship - Brands again?

And the third is the 1974 Race of Champions in a McLaren M23 - I was there too, and it was SOOO cold and wet. Later that season he had the crash at the Nurburgring in that car which ended his car career.

I'm sad to say that I never saw him race on 2 wheels, although I followed his TT comeback avidly.

Paul M

#11 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:52

That's pretty good Paul . Full marks for the two F1 pics :up: The one in the Gulf Mirage is actually taken at the 1973 Le Mans 24 hours, from the inside of the Mulsanne corner at the end of the Hunaudières straight .

#12 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 19:55

It started to dawn on me at the beginning of the year that all the anniversaries of Honda's first TT win in 1961 plus Mike's first TT wins plus Honda's first world championship and sadly the death of Mike would just pass by so I emailed Stuart Higgs ( BSB ) to suggest they could do something at one of the rounds this year and he sent me back a very nice email excited about the idea so lets hope he does organise some sort of rememberance. While I was in the mood I also emailed the events guy at the Goodwood Revival and made him aware of the anniversaries which he again replied to so here's hoping something happens somewhere. At least there will be the Honda Parade in the Past Masters at the 1000 Bikes. I shall be there riding my 'marmite' replica and hope this is some small way will pay tribute to a great rider and a great supporter of motorcycle racing.

#13 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 17:15

http://www.facebook....168768213134213

This is on facebook

#14 rytona

rytona

• 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:39

This is on facebook

#15 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:51

This is on facebook

I may be repeating myself but it's Mallory Park Circa 1980 and I am struggling to do a decent lap. Mike rocks up to say gidday with his mate Jim Scaysbrook. We are mates from NZ and I am saying that it's a nightmare for me and I can't get to grips with the place. Some young fella comes by and goes to Mike, bloody hell you are Mike the Bike, can I have your autograph. Mike turns to him and says , of course, but maybe you should get Stu's first as he is the present and I am the past. Quality!!

#16 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:45

Mike & his daughter's grave in Tanworth-in-Arden with flowers to each of them from Pauline. (Photo taken Sunday 27th March).

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-28
Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-27