Photo

Coundown & Time errors

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:22

I am confused. The start page give me many different errors and I do not know which one is correct.
1. Melbourne local time: Sun, 14:15
2. Race 17:00
3. Countdown: 0 DAYS, 1 HOURS, 39 MINUTES AND 58 SECONDS BEFORE THE AUSTRALIAN GP
4. Convert to local timezone: Race: 09:00

Time here is 06:21

Yesterday, it said that the race in local timezone would be 07:00, so you got me out of bed at least one and maybe two hours early.

Advertisement

#2 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:12

Well, if it's any consolation, I seem to have managed that same feat without any 'help' from Autosport... :lol:

I got up this early because I thought the race was supposed to start ten(ish) minutes ago and apparently it hasn't. I blame my DVR and that damned programme guide thingy!

#3 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:55

Well, if it's any consolation, I seem to have managed that same feat without any 'help' from Autosport... :lol:

I got up this early because I thought the race was supposed to start ten(ish) minutes ago and apparently it hasn't. I blame my DVR and that damned programme guide thingy!

Autosport got me up at 05:55 because I do not trust them. They said 07:00 my (and probably your) time and I figured they might be an hour off. They were, but in the other direction. Of course, those who got up at 7, look at Autosport schedule and see that it will start at nine, have another nap, they will miss most of the race.

#4 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:03

Autosport got me up at 05:55 because I do not trust them. They said 07:00 my (and probably your) time and I figured they might be an hour off. They were, but in the other direction. Of course, those who got up at 7, look at Autosport schedule and see that it will start at nine, have another nap, they will miss most of the race.

This is the second time Autosport has messed up their calculations, and the second time I've turned on the TV only to see the standings in the middle of the race. :|

For goodness sake remove that "feature" if it cannot be implemented correctly. :down:

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:05

You really only have yourselves to blame. Yeah I found it confusing, and it seemed like the indicated start of qualifying was different from when qualifying actually started. So how did I figure it out? Well both the Autosport.com and Formula1.com countdown were giving the same amount of time until the race start so I took the initiative and did some basic math. And even having overslept past my intended time I still didn't miss the start.

#6 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:28

You really only have yourselves to blame.

Are you talking about me?

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:03

Yes. I agree it was confusing, so why didn't you double check on your own? Especially if you had a problem with it in the past. I wasn't sure the Autosport.com schedule was correct as I was viewing it pre-clock-change so I checked their countdown clock and the F1 version so I ended up having three sources, two of which were the correct one.

#8 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 14:10

Yes. I agree it was confusing, so why didn't you double check on your own? Especially if you had a problem with it in the past. I wasn't sure the Autosport.com schedule was correct as I was viewing it pre-clock-change so I checked their countdown clock and the F1 version so I ended up having three sources, two of which were the correct one.

You are saying we should not trust Autosport? Now I was lucky, I did not trust them, but it actually did not occur to me I could not trust them until after i went to bed, so i "safed" and hour early. I agree with Karlth, if they want to have that feature, they should make it work. They manually adjusted it to correct time after a while, but since last night, they have displayed 07:00, 09:00 and 08:00 CET respectively. They have until we go back to winter time to fix it, should be enough time.

#9 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 14:37

Yes. I agree it was confusing, so why didn't you double check on your own?

Why on earth should I double check? When it says a race starts at 07:00 you don't expect it to start at 07:00 plus or minus 1 hour.

The simplest solution for Autosport is to remove this "feature" or add the disclaimer: "This schedule is sometimes wrong."

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:05

You should double check because you said it happened once before. Don't you know the sayings 'measure twice, cut once' or even 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me?'

If it was a normal race weekend and the schedule was giving the wrong time I'd understand that, but we all know the clocks were changing between qualifying and the race, it's better to be on the safe side. I reckon the majority of people were. Yeah it should have been correct, or hopefully at least not confusing, but you can't always take that for granted.

The way I saw it was you had the Autosport schedule, the Autosport coutdown, and the F1 countdown. The first I wasn't sure about, the latter two made sense. 2 out of 3 won for me. I didn't miss the start of the race.

#11 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:28

You should double check because you said it happened once before. Don't you know the sayings 'measure twice, cut once' or even 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me?'

You mean: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me. You can't get fooled again."

If it was a normal race weekend and the schedule was giving the wrong time I'd understand that, but we all know the clocks were changing between qualifying and the race

No we don't all know that. The majority of countries don't use daylight savings.

Edited by karlth, 27 March 2011 - 15:28.