* * * - - 7 votes

Sergio Perez

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
497 replies to this topic

#51 Gridfire

Gridfire

• 843 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:12

Good drive, although its ridiculous to judge someone just by one race. So much for 3-4 tyre stops, I always knew it was just a media hype and Perez proved it :)

Pretty much - though a one-stop does still seem unlikely for most teams for the rest of the season. Interesting thing was that Perez's longer stint was on the softs. I reckon most of the teams will be designing two-stop strategies for the next race despite Sergio's one-stop today. If he had to defend or try to take a position in the last 20 laps today I doubt Sergio would have had the tyres to do it - just coasting to a finish maintaining lap times despite dropping fuel weight. It was brilliantly done, don't misunderstand me, but it's not a tactic that seriously chasing teams will be able to afford much, I believe.

Advertisement

#52 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:20

Martin whitmarsh just said perez's drive was "incredible" , strong words, only one race but a future replacement when JB retires? i know its a long way off and very early in his career but just speculating, kimi went there from sauber after one season so who knows?

He's part of the Ferrari Driver's Academy, he's the most likely replacement for Massa this year or the next.

#53 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:23

A stunning drive by Perez and a debut to be proud of. :)

#54 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:26

Pretty much - though a one-stop does still seem unlikely for most teams for the rest of the season. Interesting thing was that Perez's longer stint was on the softs. I reckon most of the teams will be designing two-stop strategies for the next race despite Sergio's one-stop today. If he had to defend or try to take a position in the last 20 laps today I doubt Sergio would have had the tyres to do it - just coasting to a finish maintaining lap times despite dropping fuel weight. It was brilliantly done, don't misunderstand me, but it's not a tactic that seriously chasing teams will be able to afford much, I believe.

+1 not taking anything away from the boy but this is the truth his race wasn't as exciting as some others fighting for positions.

#55 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:39

Didn't he start on the hard tires? The softs should be prone to lasting longer after a little rubber goes down on the track.

Webber pitted for softs at pretty much the same time as him and he only managed 15 laps.

#56 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:49

Good drive, although its ridiculous to judge someone just by one race. So much for 3-4 tyre stops, I always knew it was just a media hype and Perez proved it :)

No. Perez did 1 stop because Sauber is easy on the tires. RBR, Mclaren, Ferrari..... can't do 1 stop.

Perez had awesome pace with the softs despite using it for 35 laps, he even did fastest lap of the race while using the softs. The other teams won't do it because their wear is much greater than Sauber.
RRR, Mclaren, Reno and Ferrari are safe but I don't see any other team beating Sauber.

#57 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:54

Will keep an eye on this guy, that was impressive for a debut grand prix.

#58 BRG

BRG

• 11,513 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 18:55

With a brutal drug war going on all over Mexico between rival drug cartels (check out blog del narco online for more info) I don't see a Mexican GP happening now, or even in the next 5-10 years time.

Sounds just the sort of place to which Bernie likes to take the F1 circus: if he gets $30m, there will be a Mexican GP!

Incidentally, the WRC has just been to Mexico, it was round 2, so maybe it isn't quite as bad as you make out?

#59 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 19:28

Woah, let's calm down a bit. Perez drove well but it's a bit hard to put the first race into proper perspective. That could be his only points finish of the year and the only time he finishes ahead of Kobayashi for all we know.

He's had a pretty good winter testing season and he was also very quick throughout the practices. Looking at his Q1 time, I think he was definitely looking at qualifying in the top 10 if not for Heidfeld impeding him. So he's had a pretty good weekend altogether. Sure, strategy got him to where he was, but he still had to deliver the tire management and speed to make it work. Not to mention that this is his first time here.

We'll see, but I dont think its unrealistic to expect him to be right there with Kobayashi throughout the year. Frankly, if I were to judge them on their pre-F1 record, I'd say Perez is actually the more promising driver.

Advertisement

#60 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 563 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 20:03

Granted we should keep things into perspective but he had a great qualifying run especially Q1 and then had a great race. For him to pit only once and still come out ahead of Kobi was incredible for a rookie. Mark my word, if Massa continues to perform like he did this weekend and like last year; this will be his last year at Ferrari. If that is the case and Perez continues to outperform Kobi and with the ties between Ferrari and Sauber, I see Perez at Ferrari next year. :wave:

#61 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 20:07

Perez is the first high grade driver to emerge from the ferrari driver development programme
i cannot believe they would let him loose that easily. offcourse he needs to put together a solid/impressive 2011 season.

#62 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,719 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 21:36

was impressive, maybe the other teams overestimated the drop off

#63 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 21:41

Granted we should keep things into perspective but he had a great qualifying run especially Q1 and then had a great race. For him to pit only once and still come out ahead of Kobi was incredible for a rookie. Mark my word, if Massa continues to perform like he did this weekend and like last year; this will be his last year at Ferrari. If that is the case and Perez continues to outperform Kobi and with the ties between Ferrari and Sauber, I see Perez at Ferrari next year. :wave:

Kob only had used softs which he had to start on hence why Sergio's 1 stopper was the better call, and wow one race and you have him sounding like he is destroying Kob the guy who was catching him come near the end of the race.

#64 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 21:59

Obviously too soon to judge only based on one performance, but my hunch is that this kid is ideal Ferrari material. My mystic meg prediction is he'll replace Massa!

#65 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,625 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 22:40

perez :up:

#66 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 17:27

Kob only had used softs which he had to start on hence why Sergio's 1 stopper was the better call, and wow one race and you have him sounding like he is destroying Kob the guy who was catching him come near the end of the race.

Mid race Perez was lapping faster on used tyres than Kobayashi on fresh tyres,I'm not saying this will be the case the rest of the season , but this time Sergio beat Kamui clearly. I thought Sergio would match Kobayashi by mid season , but it looks like it will happened sooner, will see.

#67 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 17:28

Perez is the first high grade driver to emerge from the ferrari driver development programme

He's only been in it for one race.

#68 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 17:53

With a brutal drug war going on all over Mexico between rival drug cartels (check out blog del narco online for more info) I don't see a Mexican GP happening now, or even in the next 5-10 years time.

You wouldn't want a GP in Baja California or Chihuahua, yea - but there are still kinda peaceful areas. Didn't they plan a GP somewhere on Yucatan?

#69 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 17:55

Yeah, you gotta love Sauber for seeking out talent and giving them an opportunity to shine.

....then not being able to measure a wing properly.

Let's all chip in and send Peter Sauber one of these high-tech devices:

Posted Image

Edited by Villes Gilleneuve, 28 March 2011 - 17:56.

#70 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 17:57

He's only been in it for one race.

That's all you need to ignite the fanboys. Look at Hulkenberg, one qualifying session and he goes from goof to god.

#71 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:07

....then not being able to measure a wing properly.

Let's all chip in and send Peter Sauber one of these high-tech devices:

Posted Image

Have fun measuring a curvature radius with that. :D

#72 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:08

Have fun measuring a curvature radius with that. :D

You can certainly measure a radius with a ruler. Fail.

#73 CF22

CF22

• 386 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:18

That's all you need to ignite the fanboys. Look at Hulkenberg, one qualifying session and he goes from goof to god.

For some it might be fanboyism or whatever that's called, but for people who've been following F1 for a while and who have some knowledge of the feeder categories like GP2 and Formula 3000 they can tell who wont make it and who is an exceptional driver. Take for example Nico Hulkenberg, similar winning attitude to Lewis Hamilton and beat his team mate Pastor Maldonado in his first year there when Pastor had like 4 years GP2 experience. Perez was exceptional during his time in GP2 and was awesome in F3 where he won the championship by quite a big margin.

#74 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:19

Except Hulkenberg had a really good pre-F1 resume. Perez doesn't.

#75 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:20

For some it might be fanboyism or whatever that's called, but for people who've been following F1 for a while and who have some knowledge of the feeder categories like GP2 and Formula 3000 they can tell who wont make it and who is an exceptional driver. Take for example Nico Hulkenberg, similar winning attitude to Lewis Hamilton and beat his team mate Pastor Maldonado in his first year there when Pastor had like 4 years GP2 experience. Perez was exceptional during his time in GP2 and was awesome in F3 where he won the championship by quite a big margin.

see what I mean?

#76 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:23

Except Hulkenberg had a really good pre-F1 resume. Perez doesn't.

secret...shhh..it doesn't really matter what someone did in Formula richkid.

#77 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 18:47

Sure it does. F1 is the most popular form of motorsport but it isn't the majority.

#78 beute

beute

• 1,204 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:17

Loved it when people called him a pay driver before the season, even though Sauber said he chose because of his talent and not because of sponsoring money. (it was a nice bonus ;))

too bad they were disqualified...
the FIA should have reacted after qualifying and not after the race.
just like they did with Toyota in 2009.

#79 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:06

the guy was all over massa with 1 less stop :eek:

it was fun to watch when massa came into pits, that perez was still able to use the drs on the straight

The fact that he had the presence of mind to exploit that little loophole just adds to the overall good impression he made with me. :)

Advertisement

#80 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:11

Mid race Perez was lapping faster on used tyres than Kobayashi on fresh tyres,I'm not saying this will be the case the rest of the season , but this time Sergio beat Kamui clearly. I thought Sergio would match Kobayashi by mid season , but it looks like it will happened sooner, will see.

Soft vs. Hard.

KK started on soft, pitted on lap 15 for another soft, and then picked up hard tires later. Hard tires not doing the job. If Sauber had run Q3 on hards, it could have been a different story. But by going for softs on the first pit stop, a 1 stopper is impossible with the rules.

#81 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:29

Wonderful result for Perez and Sauber, Now Kobayashi has ways to show what he is made out of. New point of focus for 2011.

Did Peter Sauber made this decision himself?

I find that Peter Sauber is one hell of a great talent finder. Kimi, Kobayashi and now Perez, he should have given more credit for Perez's success. No wonder why BMW struggled so much. Theyhave accepted Peter's offer to place himself off the racing line slowly.

#82 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,483 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:54

Paul Hembrey said

we had no issues whatsoever and the degradation was less than expected meaning that most drivers - including the top three - chose a two-stop strategy, as we had predicted.

And in today's news

"We were all looking and saying 'He [Perez] has to stop, surely'. We actually thought the numbers were wrong and we had missed a stop," Hembrey is quoted by autohebdo.fr. "His driving style was a key factor, as well as his car. But I would be surprised if we see it again,"

Pirelli's former test driver Pedro de la Rosa agreed, telling La Sexta: "I can assure you that in Malaysia there will be 3 or 4 stops, just one I see as impossible."

Mark Webber had for example a different handling car for the tyres than Sebastien.
Christian Horner said

"We took a slightly different strategic route with him running the harder tyre second, as his degradation seemed to be higher than Sebastian's," he said. "It's something we need to look into on Mark's car, as it was an unusual difference between them this weekend that we don't normally see. I'm sure that will be back to normal for Malaysia."

I remember reading somewhere a driver was saying that the tyres seemed as if they're completely different than what they had been using in the testing season!

I think it was Trulli

Edited by Earthling, 29 March 2011 - 07:55.

#83 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:28

You can certainly measure a radius with a ruler. Fail.

Yea, if you know where the center of curvature is.

#84 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:44

Looking throughout onboard race Checo was the only driver, who attacked kerbs like a madman lap after lap, yet was so smooth at exits from the corners. Maybe that's why he was so fast and easy on tyres?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#85 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 00:34

great drive by Checo! :up: :up:

#86 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,409 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:32

Definitely have an eye on this one. :up:

#87 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:38

I am very excited: he started his career as strong as Bourdais and his car was disqualified.

#88 Tufty

Tufty

• 4,800 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:46

I am very excited: he started his career as strong as Bourdais and his car was disqualified.

Why Bourdais? He never really impressed in F1 :confused:

#89 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:30

Why Bourdais? He never really impressed in F1 :confused:

Exactly. Bourdais finished seventh on his debut too, even if it was more due to attrition since he himself retired too.

It was a stellar debut performance, but let's not get carried away.

Imagine if Petrov delivered such a performance on his debut. :lol:

#90 Collective

Collective

• 1,096 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:55

Exactly. Bourdais finished seventh on his debut too, even if it was more due to attrition since he himself retired too.

It was a stellar debut performance, but let's not get carried away.

Imagine if Petrov delivered such a performance on his debut. :lol:

Yes but only about 1/3 of the cars finished that race. I do agree on not letting ourselves be carried away by one race. Let's wait and see.

#91 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:59

Sounds just the sort of place to which Bernie likes to take the F1 circus: if he gets $30m, there will be a Mexican GP!

Incidentally, the WRC has just been to Mexico, it was round 2, so maybe it isn't quite as bad as you make out?

F1 is a mega circus, thousands of personnel, billions of dollars at stake, whereas WRC is tiny in comparison. No way would Bernie risk it.

#92 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 229 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:02

F1 is a mega circus, thousands of personnel, billions of dollars at stake, whereas WRC is tiny in comparison. No way would Bernie risk it.

Iit's not he safest place on earth , but if the money is there they'll go , as always.

#93 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 15:06

Sergio finally got points, he had the pace to be in the points in past races but for several reasons he didn't finish in the top 10. He is doing a great job so far.

#94 Collective

Collective

• 1,096 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:30

Sergio finally got points, he had the pace to be in the points in past races but for several reasons he didn't finish in the top 10. He is doing a great job so far.

Indeed. I'm really liking his pace so far, good and consistent in every race up to this point, close to Kamui's. And this time he didn't get in trouble or lost positions in the start. Qualifying is still an area of opportunity for him and Sauber.

#95 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 17:56

PĂ©rez has been replaced by De la Rosa for the remainder of the Canadian Grand Prix after still feeling the after-effects of his Monaco crash, Mike Gascoyne just tweeted.

Edited by midgrid, 10 June 2011 - 17:57.

#96 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,765 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 17:57

That's not good. :(

Get well soon Sergio.

#97 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,023 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:05

Oh dear.

But, very courageous decision by Sergio.

He has long F1 career, does not need to take an unnecessary risk now. Hope he'll be fit as soon as possible, just make sure everything is ok.

#98 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:09

Get well soon SP.

#99 Collective

Collective

• 1,096 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:16

Oh that's awful :( I really hope it's just a temporary thing and he'll be fit to race for the next GP

BTW, Esteban Gutierrez tweeted yesterday he wasn't going to Montreal because he had a school exam. He must be incredibly pissed right now.

Advertisement

#100 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:27

BTW, Esteban Gutierrez tweeted yesterday he wasn't going to Montreal because he had a school exam. He must be incredibly pissed right now.

Indeed I was quite surprised de la Rosa was taking his place. At least he has experience with the team, hope Perez is ok and this is not the result of complications from his accident.