* * * - - 7 votes

Sergio Perez

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
497 replies to this topic

#101 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:36

its a damn shame :| , really want to see what he can do in a "problem free" race. so hope to see him on the valencia gp

Advertisement

#102 maximilian

maximilian

• 399 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 18:59

They should have put Ricciardo in the car instead!

#103 Collective

Collective

• 1,099 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 19:16

It's a shame to hear about Montreal, hope "Checo" gets better, but I never received indication to prevent this situation. I was ready...

Guess he means no one told him to be present in Montreal "just in case"

Edited by Collective, 10 June 2011 - 19:17.

#104 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:05

Oh that's awful :( I really hope it's just a temporary thing and he'll be fit to race for the next GP

BTW, Esteban Gutierrez tweeted yesterday he wasn't going to Montreal because he had a school exam. He must be incredibly pissed right now.

Now that sucks. School?

#105 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:10

Not good news about Serg, hope things are better by Valencia.

#106 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:12

Pity for Sergio, he was much faster then Kobayashi in FP1 even with health problems... Hope he gets well and will be back in Valencia...

#107 jee

jee

• 718 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:18

BTW, Esteban Gutierrez tweeted yesterday he wasn't going to Montreal because he had a school exam. He must be incredibly pissed right now.

Marc Surer said that he talked with Peter Sauber about Esteban before the Monaco race and he said that he would not put him into the car yet, he has done too many mistakes in his first GP2 races this year and is not ready for an F1 drive yet.

They should have put Ricciardo in the car instead!

Fisichella, this is Montreal :)

#108 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:27

Pity for Sergio, he was much faster then Kobayashi in FP1 even with health problems... Hope he gets well and will be back in Valencia...

Look, stop disguising these Kamui bashes as well meaning posts. You know full well that practice programs are extremely varied, and that they don't mean anything.

It's sad that you feel the need to take advantage of Sergio's health situation in order to diminish Kamui just because your boy Alguersuari ain't doing too well and is driving his own self-destruction.

#109 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:38

shame he wont race

but also strange situation

he was going his normal in free practice everything looked fine

#110 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:41

shame he wont race

Unfortunately, with a concussion, sometimes there are some after effects due to the nature of the injury. He could be experiencing some headaches or nausea that might prevent him from driving at 100%.

#111 Outsider

Outsider

• 495 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 20:44

shame he wont race

things could look fine, but you'll never know how he feels. if he feels he's not ready then he isn't. remember R. Schumacher's Monza test accident in 2003, he felt until second qualifying he could go and race, but then backed off.

it must have been very hard decision Sergio took

#112 skinnyman

skinnyman

• 521 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:14

Fisichella, this is Montreal :)

Fisico can be at La Sarthe and Gilles Villeneuve at the same time ? :eek:

#113 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:23

Look, stop disguising these Kamui bashes as well meaning posts. You know full well that practice programs are extremely varied, and that they don't mean anything.

It's sad that you feel the need to take advantage of Sergio's health situation in order to diminish Kamui just because your boy Alguersuari ain't doing too well and is driving his own self-destruction.

Was he faster or not? Btw. he outqualified him 4 times in a row... And the Alguersuari thing is already boring...

#114 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 22:49

Was he faster or not? Btw. he outqualified him 4 times in a row... And the Alguersuari thing is already boring...

You did not address anything that was posted.

#115 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,887 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 22:53

Appears as though Esteban Gutierrez, actual Sauber reserve driver knew nothing about the Perez switch or even indicated there could be an issue.

It's a shame to hear about Montreal, hope "Checo" gets better, but I never received indication to prevent this situation. I was ready..

Meanwhile...

However, de la Rosa says Sauber had contacted McLaren during the week, just in case.

:|

What's the point of these reserve drivers? Twice now we've had a chance to use them, at Renault and at Sauber, and twice snubbed for some of the old guard.

The rules must be changed to get these young drivers testing mid-season and ready to race.

Edited by Disgrace, 10 June 2011 - 22:54.

#116 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 23:57

Marc Surer said that he talked with Peter Sauber about Esteban before the Monaco race and he said that he would not put him into the car yet, he has done too many mistakes in his first GP2 races this year and is not ready for an F1 drive yet.

And the rules are changed. They get one day testing. But it wasn't time for that now...

#117 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 00:50

Unfortunately, with a concussion, sometimes there are some after effects due to the nature of the injury. He could be experiencing some headaches or nausea that might prevent him from driving at 100%.

Concussions can be very serious. Sidney Crosby missed half the season this year suffering from his concussion. Headaches, nausea, the inability to concentrate, etc have kept him from playing. Lets hope Perez can return to good health quickly.

#118 pingualoty

pingualoty

• 239 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 00:52

Appears as though Esteban Gutierrez, actual Sauber reserve driver knew nothing about the Perez switch or even indicated there could be an issue.

Meanwhile...

:|

What's the point of these reserve drivers? Twice now we've had a chance to use them, at Renault and at Sauber, and twice snubbed for some of the old guard.

The rules must be changed to get these young drivers testing mid-season and ready to race.

I think its more todo with getting the best driver rather than the newest because of the lack of testing.

#119 naca

naca

• 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:47

Maybe he has caught a bug whilst he was in hospital. There are always quite a few bugs floating around in hospitals and he was in there for a while.

Advertisement

#120 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:42

Maybe he has caught a bug whilst he was in hospital. There are always quite a few bugs floating around in hospitals and he was in there for a while.

It's definitely the after effects of his concussion. He should not return to the seat until he feels fully ready, because additional stress can aggravate the injury.

#121 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:49

I guess it is, I remember the long period I had to take it easy after a head injury. And I was never allowed to race again.

Edited by Myrvold, 11 June 2011 - 11:50.

#122 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 16:33

I guess it is, I remember the long period I had to take it easy after a head injury. And I was never allowed to race again.

:eek: My condolences, it must have been really difficult to make that decision.

#123 allyb171189

allyb171189

• 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 18:15

According to the BBC, Checo has gone up in the teams books for making that difficult decision.

#124 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 23:19

:eek: My condolences, it must have been really difficult to make that decision.

It was... And I'm still wondering if I'm going to save up money to at least do a VLN 24hrs, and then take the risk. Oh well, I guess Perez will be well after some more days :)

#125 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:47

It was... And I'm still wondering if I'm going to save up money to at least do a VLN 24hrs, and then take the risk. Oh well, I guess Perez will be well after some more days :)

Hope that works out for you. Prepare to jump in the cockpit and let the world around you disappear. :D

#126 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 14:30

I like Perez. He is quietly getting better and seems to drive pretty effortlessly. He's easy on the tires, and just cruises to the finish to collect a few points.

#127 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,166 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 14:36

I like Perez. He is quietly getting better and seems to drive pretty effortlessly. He's easy on the tires, and just cruises to the finish to collect a few points.

Same here, yet another driver this year I am really starting to like. Perez is certainly talented, just had some poor luck in most of the races so far. I'll say him and di Resta are equally talented, even if di Resta gets most of the attention this year.

Edited by Fastcake, 10 July 2011 - 14:37.

#128 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 14:46

You have a way with words.

#129 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 14:49

Yeah, nice quiet drive from him today. Great job.

#130 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 14:57

Yeah, nice quiet drive from him today. Great job.

He was quietly all over Nico throughout the race.

#131 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 15:00

Nice job from Sergio...  ;)

#132 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 15:04

Yeah, he's not very gung-ho or spectacular, but he seems quick enough and does not make many mistakes. His only two retirements were Malaysia where he hit a piece of debris that damaged his car, and of course the crash during qualifying in Monaco.

He looks like a clean driver, I'm curious to see how he'll develop over the rest of the season.

#133 Collective

Collective

• 1,099 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 17:09

He is actually quite aggressive (check out some GP2 and F3 videos), but there was no point on forcing the issue when the Mercedes had clearly the best traction after breaking points. Kudos for keeping those tyres working while maintaining < 1s gaps to the car in front!

Every points finish in a midfield car is fantastic for a rookie. Good stuff!

#134 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,586 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 17:15

Ace race from him. You'd expect he'd perform here since he did a lot of british F3 seasons and knows the track well, but definitely impressed today. :up:

I think once he gets a few seasons of F1 experience and gets to know all the tracks, he'll be a solid driver. Just needs to find that consistency, which is normal for a rookie.

#135 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:48

Checo will test F60 in September:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/93060

Nice :D.

Edited by Mastah, 13 July 2011 - 12:54.

#136 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:51

Checo will test F60 next month:

Has August been cancelled?

#137 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:54

Sorry, I haven't read whole article :blush:.

#138 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 13:03

or spectacular

I disagree. When I watched his demo in Mexico on YouTube my first thought was "he's doing donuts spectacularly more accurate than other F1 demos I've seen of "name" drivers". He throws the Sauber around a lot, but with great precision, almost artistic IMO.

#139 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,394 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 13:48

Well a lot of his future will depend on how Massa keeps performing and slams with his fist on the table. Evil tongues will whisper Perez will replace him but I think it's "just" a major shootout to see what Bianchi has learnt after his crash and how ripe he is for F1. Perez will be the benchmark here, providing he keeps his car ontrack at his own (very good) pace which he does practically every race this season.

Kudos for Perez and his chance though!

Advertisement

#140 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 14:12

Please let that put a stop the Button/Webber/Uncle Tom Cobbly moving to Ferrari stories. It appears Ferrari have done, as they have in the past, gone for a driver who's shown ability in a lower team, a driver who's not expecting a huge pay packet to drive for them.

#141 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 14:46

Please let that put a stop the Button/Webber/Uncle Tom Cobbly moving to Ferrari stories. It appears Ferrari have done, as they have in the past, gone for a driver who's shown ability in a lower team, a driver who's not expecting a huge pay packet to drive for them.

Ferrari don't usually go for drivers this young, and if they go for him its because they can't get what they want, they even put Massa to mature before they took him, years at Sauber and 1 as a Ferrari Tester so Sergio at Ferrari so soon would be a shocker.

#142 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,606 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 14:49

That would be exciting news except for those three letters "F60" - LOL - you have to be kidding me.... Unless it is totally revamped, it will be one of the hardest tests for the two drivers ever - and fairly useless for anyone but Ferrari who has the data of many struggling with the piece o crap to gauge by (actually only Raikkonen as a bench mark).

But in as far as checo is concerned, nothing surprises me. He is an incredible talent and I can only pray that he doesn't replace Massa in Massa's current role. My god - that would totally ruin his career. He is not only quick, but has the potential to be a young gun in my opinion. I'm so sad that he is in the Ferrari farm - unless they are willing to demote Alonso, because dueling #1's is unheard of over there... Although they have played the 'see which horse comes out of the stable fastest' before - not this year, perhaps not with fairness last year - but from 2007 through 2009 - so there is a glimmer of hope. I'm depressing myself. I will have to let go of my burgeoning support for Perez if he gets sucked into their normal crap over there... blast them anyway. Maybe they'll pass him up, I hope so.

Edited by bourbon, 13 July 2011 - 14:53.

#143 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 15:42

Ferrari don't usually go for drivers this young, and if they go for him its because they can't get what they want, they even put Massa to mature before they took him, years at Sauber and 1 as a Ferrari Tester so Sergio at Ferrari so soon would be a shocker.

In the last few years there have been several very successful young drivers - Hamilton & Vettel come to mind. Better to grab him now, before he picks up any bad habits, like getting used to being beaten.

#144 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 15:45

I don't understand what he's done yet. Except for I think Australia where he showed good pace whilst making the tyres last forever, I haven't seen anything decent from him since. Not saying he's a poor driver, just that he hasn't yet done anything special noting that he's only had a few races. Just seems like they're looking for a newer, younger Massa i.e a compliant no.2 they can hopefully mould into a reasonably quick driver.

#145 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:00

I don't understand what he's done yet. Except for I think Australia where he showed good pace whilst making the tyres last forever, I haven't seen anything decent from him since. Not saying he's a poor driver, just that he hasn't yet done anything special noting that he's only had a few races. Just seems like they're looking for a newer, younger Massa i.e a compliant no.2 they can hopefully mould into a reasonably quick driver.

Perhaps being Carlos Slim his godfather (in terms of his sporting career) has something to do with this "experience"! :smoking:

Edited by Jordana, 13 July 2011 - 16:00.

#146 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:23

That would be exciting news except for those three letters "F60" - LOL - you have to be kidding me.... Unless it is totally revamped, it will be one of the hardest tests for the two drivers ever - and fairly useless for anyone but Ferrari who has the data of many struggling with the piece o crap to gauge by (actually only Raikkonen as a bench mark).

But in as far as checo is concerned, nothing surprises me. He is an incredible talent and I can only pray that he doesn't replace Massa in Massa's current role. My god - that would totally ruin his career. He is not only quick, but has the potential to be a young gun in my opinion. I'm so sad that he is in the Ferrari farm - unless they are willing to demote Alonso, because dueling #1's is unheard of over there... Although they have played the 'see which horse comes out of the stable fastest' before - not this year, perhaps not with fairness last year - but from 2007 through 2009 - so there is a glimmer of hope. I'm depressing myself. I will have to let go of my burgeoning support for Perez if he gets sucked into their normal crap over there... blast them anyway. Maybe they'll pass him up, I hope so.

I think that is the price to pay for anybody who wants to join a top team. If Perez would go to Red Bull do you think they would treat him any different from the way they treat Webber?

Edited by fabr68, 13 July 2011 - 16:23.

#147 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 16:25

Most people here think Massa is the worst driver on the grid, thus we get the inevitable comments like Perez/Kobayashi is a shoe-in for Ferrari, or Ricciardo or whoever the hell is up next. I can't say with a straight face that these guys would actually be better for Ferrari than Massa is. And I honestly wouldn't know what Ferrari would be thinking to have him replaced with a driver like that.

IMO the only people better than Massa in the F1 paddock atm is Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Kubica*. Webber and Button are closely matched. I wouldn't rate the rest of the drivers as better than Massa.

*Like Massa, Kubica has had a huge injury, it will be interesting to see if it causes him to lose form, logic says he'll lose alot of form. Although it wasn't an F1 accident that ruined his season.

#148 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 229 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:15

Perhaps being Carlos Slim his godfather (in terms of his sporting career) has something to do with this "experience"! :smoking:

Having Carlos Slim financial support is very important to take Sergio to F1 , but he has done his part behind the wheel , so far he has performed as expected if not better, so don't try to minimize his quality as a driver just because he has good financial backing.
And it is also just a test, Ferrari is not hiring him to replace Massa, at least not yet.

#149 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:20

Well done that Ferrari have noticed him. He is by far the best of the new people - although I think that Kobayashi should also be on the Ferrari radar.

#150 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:27

so how does this work

part of the engine partnership that Sauber has with Ferrari any of their drivers can go and test for Ferrari when called up?

if thats the case shouldn't Ferrari look at Kamui as well, he has performed very well this season constantly in the points