* * * - - 7 votes

Sergio Perez

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
497 replies to this topic

#151 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:30

Well done that Ferrari have noticed him. He is by far the best of the new people - although I think that Kobayashi should also be on the Ferrari radar.

I don't see how these guys are better than Massa, just because they're new shouldn't mean anything for a team like Ferrari. He isn't the best of the new people, his qualifying hasn't been outstanding and his race pace consists of looking after the tyres and driving into a point position. Is that even what a top team needs?

People will argue that means he'll consistently get points for Ferrari, that's not what they need. And they have that with Massa now anyway, a guy who's also a proven race winner, pole sitter and podium finisher. So there's no real logic to rid Massa of someone who isn't remarkably better (i.e: Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, possibly Button/Webber, I wouldn't say Rosberg or returned-Schumacher would be much of an improvement)

I don't really understand how or why Massa is being so underrated. Especially when it comes to talk of, basically, inferior drivers taking up his place. He's not even old.

Edited by King Six, 13 July 2011 - 17:30.

Advertisement

#152 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,996 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:38

I don't understand what he's done yet. Except for I think Australia where he showed good pace whilst making the tyres last forever, I haven't seen anything decent from him since. Not saying he's a poor driver, just that he hasn't yet done anything special noting that he's only had a few races. Just seems like they're looking for a newer, younger Massa i.e a compliant no.2 they can hopefully mould into a reasonably quick driver.

How about despite missing 2 races completely, and losing all his points from race #1 due to Sauber being disqualified - he is still leading all the rookies in the standings?

The kid is awesome. He's fast, learns quickly, adapts quickly and quite frankly I would suggest that people who don't think he's done much yet - start taking a keener look at him. That is why it would be more than a shame if he gets the #2 Ferrari Driver for the WCC career treatment.

Edited by bourbon, 13 July 2011 - 17:42.

#153 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:45

How about despite missing 2 races completely, and losing all his points from race #1 due to Sauber being disqualified - he is still leading all the rookies in the standings?

The kid is awesome. He's fast, learns quickly, adapts quickly and quite frankly I would suggest that people who don't think he's done much yet - start taking a keener look at him. That is why it would be more than a shame if he gets the #2 Ferrari Driver for the WCC career treatment.

The Sauber is clearly better than the other midfield cars. He's doing well, but he's not exactly beating Kobayashi either in qualifying or in points, there's nothing that sticks out about this guy. So I don't see how he would be at the front of the queue for a drive with Ferrari. I wouldn't say he's better than Massa, I don't know how anyone could say that to be honest. Even Kobayashi and Massa, I would say Massa is currently better.

Oh yes, and Ferrari would be content with having Massa as their #2 for the WCC. Somehow Perez would be better? Give me a break man. What Ferrari need for their WCC is a better car mainly. They can have Hamilton and Alonso and still would have alot of trouble winning the WCC with their recent cars (stupid Hamilton/Alonso spats notwithstanding).

Edited by King Six, 13 July 2011 - 17:47.

#154 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 17:50

Well done that Ferrari have noticed him. He is by far the best of the new people - although I think that Kobayashi should also be on the Ferrari radar.

Its sad but Ferrari clearly have no interest in Kobayashi, The only top team he has a chance at is Mclaren really.

#155 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:04

That would be exciting news except for those three letters "F60" - LOL - you have to be kidding me.... Unless it is totally revamped, it will be one of the hardest tests for the two drivers ever - and fairly useless for anyone but Ferrari who has the data of many struggling with the piece o crap to gauge by (actually only Raikkonen as a bench mark).

F60 was decent car in good hands (Felipe's and Kimi's) and guess what, test will be performed for Ferrari's use, not for anyone to see who's better or whatever.

I don't understand what he's done yet. Except for I think Australia where he showed good pace whilst making the tyres last forever, I haven't seen anything decent from him since. Not saying he's a poor driver, just that he hasn't yet done anything special noting that he's only had a few races.

The same can be said about Robert's 2006. Outqualifying teammate in his first ever race and reaching podium in what was very competetive car around Monza and that's pretty much it. He lost in every single other quali and was slower or equal in races. But after those 6 races I could definitely say he's someone special and I have the same feeling right now.

Two highlights for me - of course Australia and also Q2 in Monaco. The most important thing is in every race his pace is equal or better than Kamui's (in the same conditions - free air, same tyres etc.), so give him some time and he will develop into very good driver, I'm sure about it.

so how does this work

part of the engine partnership that Sauber has with Ferrari any of their drivers can go and test for Ferrari when called up?

if thats the case shouldn't Ferrari look at Kamui as well, he has performed very well this season constantly in the points

Checo became a member of Ferrari Driver Academy few days after he was confirmed at Sauber for 2011 (the beginning of October). I guess it's the same situation as it was with Seb in BMW as a Red Bull driver.

#156 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:24

so how does this work

part of the engine partnership that Sauber has with Ferrari any of their drivers can go and test for Ferrari when called up?

Checo is part of the Ferrari Driver Academy program since October 2010, you may argue that there is maybe some truth in it.

Looks like that indeed may exist some kind of arrangement between Sauber-Ferrari-Telmex, as Sauber has a guaranteed sponsorship for a few more years and Gutierrez may be Perez's successor at Sauber in duo time. But I don't think that neither Sauber or Ferrari are on a rush for this.

if thats the case shouldn't Ferrari look at Kamui as well, he has performed very well this season constantly in the points

But as KK is not part of the academy...

Edited by highdownforce, 13 July 2011 - 18:28.

#157 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,948 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 18:51

i think that he was part of the FDA, then he got a seat at Sauber. im not sure though.

#158 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,996 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 19:02

F60 was decent car in good hands (Felipe's and Kimi's) and guess what, test will be performed for Ferrari's use, not for anyone to see who's better or whatever.

Good and Experienced hands. Both Raikkonen and Massa said that it was very difficult to drive - although they agree with you that it was 'decent' if you could get a handle on it. Does that really sound like the perfect 'test' car to you? Not to me, lol. I didn't feel they were measuring the drivers against one another, but their own statement brought that aspect up. I personally hope it is so hard to drive, Checo is considered horrible and Ferrari washes their hands of him. Then he'll have a chance to shine - because unless Ferrari Massify him, I see a very bright and successful career in his future. I may be wrong about him, but I would really love for him to get a fair chance at showing all he will become... (And I may be wrong about Ferrari - but based on their past, it is difficult for me to see it differently)

Edited by bourbon, 13 July 2011 - 19:03.

#159 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:08

Good and Experienced hands. Both Raikkonen and Massa said that it was very difficult to drive - although they agree with you that it was 'decent' if you could get a handle on it. Does that really sound like the perfect 'test' car to you? Not to me, lol. I didn't feel they were measuring the drivers against one another, but their own statement brought that aspect up. I personally hope it is so hard to drive, Checo is considered horrible and Ferrari washes their hands of him. Then he'll have a chance to shine - because unless Ferrari Massify him, I see a very bright and successful career in his future. I may be wrong about him, but I would really love for him to get a fair chance at showing all he will become... (And I may be wrong about Ferrari - but based on their past, it is difficult for me to see it differently)

That sounds like the perfect test car to me, don't make it easy for them at all, make them work, then we'll see who can cope in all conditions, Sergio has the advantage going in with a whole seasons worth and being an F1 driver already but don't count Bianchi to sit back and watch plus I believe France will be pushing him.

Advertisement

#160 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 13:16

Perez came to him well prepared, not just from his GP2 season in 2010, but also by Ferrari’s young driver programme, where he tested extensively at Fiorano in a two year old F1 car. Friends at Ferrari tell me his data looked very good, so he’s on their radar.

http://www.jamesalle...o-stay-for-2012

#161 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 15:43

Perez is still making some small mistakes in races, but it is interesting that he is leading Koba quite comfortably in qualifying... :cool: It will be an interesting battle to watch... :clap:

#162 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 898 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:41

Does anyone know the exact date Perez and Bianchi will be testing, and if it will be at either Mugello or Fiorano? I am in Italy for the Italian GP this week but wouldn't mind checking out the test (and the city of the area it's in) if it is sometime this week or next.

Thanks in advance!

#163 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 16:49

Does anyone know the exact date Perez and Bianchi will be testing, and if it will be at either Mugello or Fiorano? I am in Italy for the Italian GP this week but wouldn't mind checking out the test (and the city of the area it's in) if it is sometime this week or next.

Thanks in advance!

Mexican press says it will be on the 15 of September in Fiorano.

Cheers

#164 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 898 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 18:41

Cheers

Thanks Feanaro :wave:

#165 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 21:00

Perez is still making some small mistakes in races, but it is interesting that he is leading Koba quite comfortably in qualifying... :cool: It will be an interesting battle to watch... :clap:

His quali performances almost don't matter, because he is sooo bad during opening laps:

Australia from 13th to 15th
Malaysia from 16th to 14th, but at the end of lap he was 17th
China from 12th to 13th and at the end of first lap 16th
Turkey from 15th to 14th then collided with Pastor
Spain from 12th to 11th
Europe from 16th to 16th
Great Britain from 12th to 13th
Germany from 15th to 15th (Nick and Paul collided in front, so virtually he lost 2 places)
Hungary from 10th to 19th, horrible opening lap
Belgium from 9th to 7th (Bruno hit Jaime at the start)

I would say he had only one decent first lap and the rest was either average or bad ones :well:.

About quali, I was very happy with only two sessions, Monaco and Hungary, because in other qualis I feel there was more to come from that Sauber. In races he was better on average, with Australia and Great Britain the highlights so far, but the last 3 races were horrible, all destroyed because of his mistakes :down:. It was so dissapointing to see after being in Top10 in quali and losing all of that during first few laps.

I just hope remaining races will be mistake-free and he'll show his best, because it really was up and down after crash in Monaco.

#166 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 18:29

Cheers

Yep:

Tomorrow, Sergio Perez, who joined the Ferrari Academy this year will start with two days working in the FDA simulator. After that, the Mexican youngster who is racing in Formula 1 for Sauber, will get behind the wheel of an F60 for a session at Fiorano. He will be sharing the cockpit of the car used by Scuderia Ferrari in the 2009 F1 season with another FDA youngster, Jules Bianchi.

http://www.ferrari.c...1-Thursday.aspx

And few nice words from Stefano :):

“As you know Sergio is part of our Driver Academy, and I think he is doing a great season,” said Domenicali. “It’s part of the training programme that we give the drivers who are part of the academy. It’s something that is related to his improvement, to his technical skill, to give him some laps with our cars and knowing better that situation.

“I think Sergio has a good chance of having a great career. He has started with a good, humble approach, and I saw him growing very much.”

http://adamcooperf1....3-ferrari-seat/

#167 alekracing

alekracing

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 22:48

Just realized that Sergio Pérez has been awarded a “Confartigianato Motori” Prize this weekend...

#168 Collective

Collective

• 1,110 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:55

Just realized that Sergio Pérez has been awarded a “Confartigianato Motori” Prize this weekend...

Nice!

He was superb in Monza, easily his best race until the gearbox failed. 3 gearbox failures in one weekend for Sauber... the team is going backwards this year... slower than Force India and Williams in qualifying and starting to revert to their early 2010 (lack of) reliability. I think he shone anyway! Hope he does great in his Ferrari test.

#169 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,802 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:22

dont they use ferrari gearbox?

#170 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:21

dont they use ferrari gearbox?

Yea they use Ferrari Transmission
http://www.sauberf1t...er_c30/data.cfm

Lets hope this weekend was an isolated case, and not revert to the lack of reliability of the 2010 season.

cheers

#171 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:07

Pics from test:

http://twitpic.com/6l4gy3 helmet
http://yfrog.com/j24fqzj overalls
http://twitpic.com/6l6l6g
http://twitpic.com/6l6qdh
http://twitpic.com/6l43p9
http://twitpic.com/6l523w
http://twitpic.com/6l610d

FDA_baldo FerrariDriverAcademy

Hot temperature in Fiorano ..... Pirelli GP2 tires are having an hard job to keep F1 performance high

1.00.6 for Sergio...

mquintanamex Miguel A. Quintana

Checo: no puedo comparar Saub vs Ferr. Ferrari con llantas de GP2, kers inhabilitado y sin DRS. Sin comparacion.

Checo: "I can't compare Sauber and Ferrari, as I tested on GP2 tyres, with disabled KERS and without DRS. No comparison."

Edited by Mastah, 15 September 2011 - 12:24.

#172 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:38

erm, aren't gp2 tyres f1 tyres?

#173 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:42

Nope, Pirelli says they are different.

#174 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:48

And that car was designed for other tyres so the behaviour must be completely different.

#175 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 237 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 15:50

Is there any data on the test?, like lap times from Bianchi and Perez, how many laps,comments ?

#176 Collective

Collective

• 1,110 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:18

Is there any data on the test?, like lap times from Bianchi and Perez, how many laps,comments ?

They posted 105km and time of 1.00.6 for Sergio. Nothing about Jules except that his program was about "noise and vibration measurement... other than driver training"

#177 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:22

Nope, Pirelli says they are different.

I thought they were going to be the same, but I guess Pirelli have either gone a different way on the compound (more likely, easier to do) or the constuction in order to give similar variation in tyre wear, but over a shorter race distance.

#178 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:33

They posted 105km and time of 1.00.6 for Sergio. Nothing about Jules except that his program was about "noise and vibration measurement... other than driver training"

Jules did a 1.00.2 so quicker than sergio but that could be track conditions or anything. Both are very impressive :)

#179 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:27

Maranello, 15 September – Today saw the fifth and final Ferrari Driver Academy course of the year come to an end at the Fiorano circuit. The programme’s aim is to help talented youngsters involved in motorsport around the world and today, it was Sergio Perez, the Sauber Formula 1 driver, who was on track, having joined the Maranello nursery this year.

After a two day stint on the simulator, the Mexican got behind the wheel of an F60, the Formula 1car used by the Scuderia back in 2009. Perez completed 46 laps with a best time of 1.00.650. Next up in the cockpit was Jules Bianchi, who joined the Academy in 2010: this year he works with the Scuderia on car development. “Today, we followed two different programmes with Perez and Bianchi,” said Academy head, Luca Baldisserri. “Sergio impressed, despite this being his first time at the wheel of a Ferrari. He proved to be aggressive and quick right from the start and was able to adapt to the car in a very short space of time. He is very mature for his age, displaying an understanding that goes beyond the time he has spent driving single-seaters. With Bianchi, who has been with us since last year, we used a car fitted with special sensors to study the correlation between the car on track and the simulator: many of his laps were what I’d call ‘interlocutory’ because the main aim of them was to acquire data.”

The Frenchman did 70 laps, the quickest being a 1.00.213. “We did a lot of laps and once again it was a very useful experience for me,” said Bianchi. “These laps all count a lot towards the future I’d like to have in Formula 1. Now, I’m looking forward to the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi and it will be very interesting to go from the 2009 car to the 2011 one, as it will be a good opportunity for me to try elements like DRS and KERS for the very first time.” Sergio Perez was naturally very enthusiastic about his first time in a Ferrari. “This was a really special day for me,” said the Mexican. “I want to thank Ferrari for giving me this chance to improve and learn, given the limited number of testing opportunities during the year. Driving a Ferrari was a dream for me and it’s also important for my career, learning with a team like this and experiencing a different approach to the work.”

Asked about a possible future at Maranello, Sergio said he still had a long way to go and was happy with his current drive for Sauber. “I think there is room for me to do well where I am and that’s my current target. It’s impossible to say how things will go and my dream is to become World Champion and it would be nice if it could happen with a team like this one. I have got a lot out of this time with the Ferrari Driver Academy. The work on the simulator, the meetings with the engineers are all things that will help me over the rest of the season and in general in the future.”

http://www.ferrari.c...nd-Bianchi.aspx

http://thef1times.co...4110363_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...4110358_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...3110353_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...0110345_fda.jpg

Edited by Mastah, 15 September 2011 - 19:31.

Advertisement

#180 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:48

Pics from test:

http://twitpic.com/6l4gy3 helmet
http://yfrog.com/j24fqzj overalls
http://twitpic.com/6l6l6g
http://twitpic.com/6l6qdh
http://twitpic.com/6l43p9
http://twitpic.com/6l523w
http://twitpic.com/6l610d

http://thef1times.co...4110363_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...4110358_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...3110353_fda.jpg
http://thef1times.co...0110345_fda.jpg

Good pics. thanks :D :up:

#181 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 20:58

Hi-res pics, enjoy :D:

http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-17.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-13.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-6.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-18.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-16.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-15.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-14.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-11.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...ior_2011-10.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-9.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-8.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-7.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-5.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-4.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-3.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-2.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic...fior_2011-1.jpg

#182 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,755 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 19:10

:up: to Sergio for bringing the car home in a point scoring position - they were really after him today :D
Not just Rosberg and Schumi - who inflicted a puncture - but Senna as well: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/94851

Just imagine if he was really severely hit because of that....

#183 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:35

Wow. A moving chicane scored a point.

#184 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:40

Track position is king.

#185 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:44

I guess Perez should have just not even attended the race so your highness can overtake a car without crashing. :wave:

#186 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:46

Yep. His highness crashed out and that made a highlight of SP whole career. Cheers!

#187 Collective

Collective

• 1,110 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:05

Despite almost being taken out by a crash happy has been. Good result IMO

#188 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:51

OfficialSF1Team Sauber F1 Team
Joke of the day. Checo shouting on the radio during the last lap 'I lost power, I lost power' while smiling and crossing the finish line!

:lol:

Fantastic race by him, fantastic :clap:.

#189 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 846 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:52

Man of the race, fantastic performance today !!!

#190 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,066 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:53

great race...pitty he lost the fastest lap of the race by 0.001sec...if ferrari is smart he would be driving for them next year!

#191 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:55

He's driving very well!

#192 ric

ric

• 42 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:59

Perez is doing very well with the tyre saving Sauber :-)
:up:

#193 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:03

superb driving.
Looks like when perez is doing good then Koba is out of luck and vise versa

#194 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:09

This boy have potential.

#195 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:48

I told you he's special :). Shame about mistake gunning for P1, but still I guess P2 is kinda good in Sauber car :).

#196 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:48

Fantastic job Checo! :up:

#197 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:50

Olee olleeeeeeeee Perez :D

#198 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:51

Brilliant drive. Although, I feel Ferrari said not to win..... Great drive though, and should be in Ferrari for the next race ;)

#199 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:55

Great job! :up:

Advertisement

#200 Chomsky

Chomsky

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:56

Shame that he had to give the win to Alonso but at least he will probably get a Ferrari drive out of it.